PDA

View Full Version : Greater Alchemical Simulacrum vs True Seeing

Arpegius
2012-09-12, 10:05 PM
here's another question i couldnt find answer what effect does true seeing has on that spell because its from the illusion school but it does have a body and a disguise check ?

holywhippet
2012-09-12, 10:14 PM
I'd say it won't do anything. The spell description for True Seeing says:

True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means.

A simulacrum just looks like you, hence the disguise check. True Seeing won't bypass that.

Diarmuid
2012-09-13, 09:47 AM
Disguise Self also uses a Disguise check, does that mean TS wont work on it either?

Lapak
2012-09-13, 10:35 AM
Disguise Self also uses a Disguise check, does that mean TS wont work on it either?Disguise Self gives a bonus to Disguise checks if you use it for that purpose, which True Seeing would presumably wipe out since you automatically see through the illusion. The actual disguise part of the disguise check (that is, everything other than the +10 you got from the spell) it wouldn't have any effect on.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the text of the alchemical simulacrum, but if it's a matter of 'make a Disguise check to determine the thing's real shape while making it and how close it is to you,' I'd say True Seeing doesn't affect that aspect. If the simulacrum has a 'true' shape that isn't yours and just takes your form temporarily, True Seeing would see through it.

Larpus
2012-09-13, 01:28 PM
This is the PF Alchemist discovery, right?

It works just like the Simulacrum spell, the only difference being that the creature is an actual creature and not a supernatural effect.

The Disguise check involved is at the time of creation, to make it looks like the real creature, meaning that it's more akin to a Craft check, so yeah, I'd say that TS has nothing on it, especially on the Alchemical version that is an actual being.

TuggyNE
2012-09-13, 04:12 PM
Disguise Self also uses a Disguise check, does that mean TS wont work on it either?

No, true seeing penetrates disguise self. That's why the text says "mundane disguises".

Analytica
2012-09-13, 05:13 PM
The simulacrum is a shadow illusion type effect though. I think I read somewhere that they appear under true seeing as translucent and filled with ice and shadows.