PDA

View Full Version : Can you use telepathy to cast magic?

silverwolfer
2012-09-13, 12:40 AM
I know this is a bit of a stretch, but telepathy does count sort of like talking, and maybe, just talking in your head does not count as casting a spell, but if telepathy is magical and not just random thought, does it carry the possiblty to invoke magical things?

Deophaun
2012-09-13, 12:57 AM
Well, if you're casting a language dependent spell, then sure, telepathy "helps you cast it." However, verbal components are explicitly said to be spoken, so telepathy would not be a replacement.

Feralventas
2012-09-13, 01:19 AM
No, thinking the words at people will not suffice as a mage.

So play a Psion Telepath instead so that thinking at people Will suffice.

Though there are visual and audio signs for that too.

Or pick up Silent and Still Spell meta-magic.

Or be a Rogue as a psionic race or with a dip in a psionic class before becoming a Psibond Agent (complete scoundrel). Not as much actual 'casting, but lots of mental compulsions.

TuggyNE
2012-09-13, 01:47 AM
I'd say it's nowhere defined that verbal components can include non-verbal telepathy, and it isn't even necessarily common sense for them to; one notable aspect is that verbal components can be hit by silence, and telepathy can't be.

If your natural form uses nothing but telepathy to communicate, you might be able to squeak in Savage Species' Surrogate Casting, I dunno; it's 3.0, though, so potentially problematic.

MulletMonk
2012-09-13, 02:14 AM
What about bardic music? perform sing could be used telepathically, could that work?

HunterOfJello
2012-09-13, 02:20 AM
If you had a psionic version of Magic Mouth, then you could possibly do it.

As for bards..... maybe? As long as you're singing to them in their heads, I don't see why not. Then again, you can use bardic music by using Perform (Dance).

silverwolfer
2012-09-13, 03:31 AM
If you had a psionic version of Magic Mouth, then you could possibly do it.

As for bards..... maybe? As long as you're singing to them in their heads, I don't see why not. Then again, you can use bardic music by using Perform (Dance).

perform (bellydance) provides a facinate affect :P

Axier
2012-09-13, 07:25 AM

Or be a Rogue as a psionic race or with a dip in a psionic class before becoming a Psibond Agent (complete scoundrel). Not as much actual 'casting, but lots of mental compulsions.

THIS is another reason why I like psionics, they are easy to hide ANY of the powers with a simple concentration check:

Dispense with Displays
Despite the fact that almost every power has a display, a psionic character can always choose to manifest the power without the flashy accompaniment. To manifest a power without any display (no matter how many displays it might have), a manifester must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the level of the power). This check is part of the action of manifesting the power. If the check is unsuccessful, the power manifests normally with its display.

Invisible mindthrust!

Venger
2012-09-13, 08:11 AM

hidden talent also does the job rather nicely. psibond agent requires you to be good at cha anyway (making it sort of a challenge to play with rogue, but not impossible)

while a naturally psionic race might work, many have cha penalties (like elans) and don't have the extra feat, or bonus skill point (which for a skillmonkey is a pain) human with hidden talent gives the same 2 PP and the ability to manifest a 1st level power of your choice (as long as you've got 11 cha, which for a psibond agent shouldn't be a problem.

psibond agent is fun but hard, here's a few ways to go about it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146583)