PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Reload for Slings?

Teh_das
2012-09-13, 04:02 AM
Hello Playgrounders, I've got a question about feats. I've a friend building a halfling slinger, and he's fallen in love with the halfling sling staff from RotW. Beyond general feat recommendations to help him awesome, is there a rapid reload-esque feat that works towards slings?

Ravens_cry
2012-09-13, 04:10 AM
Are you the DM? If so, I'd just let him use Rapid Reload with the sling.

Ketiara
2012-09-13, 04:10 AM
My dm allowed me to fire and reload a sling as it were a bow. It made a huge difference for me as a player and how I wanted to play my rogue, but didnt make me op in any way.

Darrin
2012-09-13, 05:35 AM
Beyond general feat recommendations to help him awesome, is there a rapid reload-esque feat that works towards slings?

By RAW, no.

(A sling with the Aptitude property and Rapid Reload might work, but it's a bit rules-dodgy.)

Note: since a loaded sling can't accidentally "misfire", you could load a sling, stow it in your pack (along with a few dozen other loaded slings), and then use Quickdraw/Least Crystal of Return to draw it as a free action.

Or, yeah, you could just handwave Rapid Reload so it works with slings.

Ashtagon
2012-09-13, 06:37 AM
Hello Playgrounders, I've got a question about feats. I've a friend building a halfling slinger, and he's fallen in love with the halfling sling staff from RotW. Beyond general feat recommendations to help him awesome, is there a rapid reload-esque feat that works towards slings?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189766&highlight=sling+crossbow

My old ranged weapon fix thread. I made slings a free action to reload. and made a Master Slinger feat to express the more extreme ends of highly-trained slingers.

jmelesky
2012-09-13, 11:43 AM
If you're open to PF material, there's an alternate racial trat for halflings (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/halfling) called "Warslinger", which gives free-action reloads for slings. It replaces sure-footed (+2 to Acrobatics and Climb).

Squidfist
2012-09-13, 12:08 PM
I don't see a problem with RR working for slings as well. If you don't like allowing him to do this, I'd suggest adding Quick Draw as a pre-req.

I also highly recommend your buddy checks out Halfling paragon from UA. It's a 3 level base class for halflings that nets you +2 dex, an extra +1 to all saves, and +2 damage and attacks with thrown weps and slings, in addition to the base +1.

Teh_das
2012-09-13, 02:25 PM
I'm not the DM, no, but I think the DM will be willing to work with him so that Rapid Reload should work. Halfling Paragon, on the other hand, is a good idea. I'll bring it up to him.

Thanks all!

ericgrau
2012-09-13, 02:40 PM
The only drawback is that you're basically giving away composite bowness for free. That's why slings already tend to be the best ranged weapon until you get your second attack.

I'd tack on 500 gp give or take for an easy loading sling mechanism, fluff it out, continue to require rapid reload, then call it done.