PDA

View Full Version : In character conflict

hoverfrog
2012-09-13, 06:01 AM
Some advice gentle playgrounders if you please.

I'm involved in several PbP games at the moment and have played for many years IRL. One thing that crops up time and again is when one character picks a fight, insults, belittles, mocks, or otherwise gives another character a hard time and the player takes it personally. This is particularly an issue when playing by post where a friendly gesture or reconciliatory offer of a snack can ease tensions. Even just the fact that knowing the other players for years can allow in character conflict to be shaken off without lasting damage.

So how do you role play conflict and deal with the fallout of bruised egos? How as DM or player do you try to ensure that such conflict doesn't escalate to the point where a player rage quits the game. If you're the protagonist in character, whether an angry dwarf, a conceited paladin or an arrogant elf, how do you go about letting the player know that your insults are targeted only at their character and not their person?

prufock
2012-09-13, 07:08 AM
So how do you role play conflict and deal with the fallout of bruised egos? How as DM or player do you try to ensure that such conflict doesn't escalate to the point where a player rage quits the game. If you're the protagonist in character, whether an angry dwarf, a conceited paladin or an arrogant elf, how do you go about letting the player know that your insults are targeted only at their character and not their person?

I do my best to play only with reasonably mature adults. I have a regular group, and this is rarely a problem. I've had some less sensible players creep in from time to time, though. As DM, I do 1 of 2 things: I say, "hey X, shut up" or I don't invite them to games in the future.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-13, 07:44 AM
I've never been in the position of angering another player with my characters' words.

I have annoyed a few people with my characters' actions though. I play kinda reckless, and it occasionally comes back to bite the party in the butt.

The trick in either case, is to pay attention, and just tone it down when you've gone too far. Of course I've always had direct consequences to give my character pause, and question if continuing to act that way is such a good idea.

Never poke a sleeping dragon with a stick, just because you already looted his horde without waking him. It doesn't end well. :smallredface:

Jay R
2012-09-13, 10:23 AM
Some people treat the other PCs as rivals. Some people treat them as team-mates.

These two should never be in the same game.