PDA

View Full Version : Age-based feats/mitigation

Ehsteve
2012-09-13, 08:27 AM
So I was starting up a dungeon crawl scenario, and was looking into making the generic old wizard, and of course with that come the relevant physical penalties (-3Str, -3Dex, -3Con). Is there a series of feats or any other way in which a human can mitigate the aging penalties (not saying immunity to death from old age, just not turning into a cripple in the next few years to gain a pitiful bonus to mental stats)?

Memphos
2012-09-13, 08:31 AM
well, a part from the monk or druid Timeless body or the epic feat that extend your lifespan, I don't really know. Maybe you could adjust the bonus/malus from aging

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 08:51 AM
Dragonqrought Kobolds get all the bonus from age and none of the penalties due the Dragon type (they are immune to the penalties of Aging)

Dragonwrought is a level 1-only, kobold- only feat from Races of the Dragon.

ahenobarbi
2012-09-13, 09:05 AM
Age all way to the venerable and reincarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm)?

LTwerewolf
2012-09-13, 09:06 AM
It's -6 to physical scores, not -3. It's additive among all the penalties.

Telonius
2012-09-13, 09:19 AM
-6 if he's all the way to venerable; only -3 if he's just old.

To mitigate it... Magic Jar spell (temporary fix). Find a young, low-level warrior, and Use Psionic Device on a Power Stone of True Mind Switch. +3 Manuals, Belt of Giant Strength, Gloves of Dex, Amulet of Health.

Anxe
2012-09-13, 10:28 AM
Or you could accept that your wizard is a weak clumsy old man? Roleplay him stumbling around the battlefield. If he gets knocked prone, insist that he can't get up and that you need someone to help you.

LTwerewolf
2012-09-13, 10:30 AM
Or you could accept that your wizard is a weak clumsy old man? Roleplay him stumbling around the battlefield. If he gets knocked prone, insist that he can't get up and that you need someone to help you.

Also make sure someone knows the spell make whole so they can repair your broken hip.

Anxe
2012-09-13, 01:11 PM
And repeated applications of sovereign glue and universal solvent to put your dentures in and take them out every day.

2gig
2012-09-13, 04:09 PM
And repeated applications of sovereign glue and universal solvent to put your dentures in and take them out every day.

He's a wizard. Can't he just cast stick?

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-09-13, 04:23 PM
If your group allows Pathfinder stuff, there's the trio of Age Resistance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/age-resistance) spells that can negate aging penalties for 24 hours for middle age as a level 4 spell, old age as a level 6 and venerable age as a level 7. Maybe you could research such a spell and work fear of aging into the character's personality and roleplaying. (You could even make immortality (or at least permanent youth) a major goal for him.)

Telonius
2012-09-13, 09:25 PM
There's also the ever-popular Xykon Option.

Mithril Leaf
2012-09-13, 09:41 PM
There's some wine in Lords Of Darkness that removes age penalties for about 10 minutes.

lsfreak
2012-09-13, 09:58 PM
My preferred option is to handwave all age-related things, and instead assign penalties/bonuses and appropriate (for NPC's) or have them discussed with me if it is going to be central to a character (for PC's). In general, this just means there are no penalties or bonuses. No reason for there to be mandatory age penalties/bonuses when there aren't the same for weight, mental well-being, or a myriad of other possibilities.

Discuss it with your DM.

Ehsteve
2012-09-13, 10:29 PM
I think I'm going with the reincarnation idea as it really fits with the scenario I have going on in my head. Sure he'll lose a level...but good roleplaying could well get me back that level after a while.

frost890
2012-09-15, 07:19 PM
You could try becoming a lich, or a Vampire.:smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-15, 07:34 PM
I think I'm going with the reincarnation idea as it really fits with the scenario I have going on in my head. Sure he'll lose a level...but good roleplaying could well get me back that level after a while.

IIRC last bread (Druid spell) let's you Reincarnate (as the spell) without level loss if cast within 1 round of the death. Perhaps you could look into that (Wyrm Wizard is probably the best option to get it, use Contingency keyed to "Immediatly after my death cast Last breath on me")

TuggyNE
2012-09-15, 09:07 PM
IIRC last bread (Druid spell) let's you Reincarnate (as the spell) without level loss if cast within 1 round of the death.

... Now I'm hungry. Can anyone cast last bread on me to turn a crumb into a full loaf?

Sorry, sorry, the typo was just too delicious to pass up.

hex0
2012-09-16, 01:53 PM
I'd say forget the stat penalties and get the element of surprise by playing a transmuter. Turn from a feeble old man into a troll or something crazy. Totally badass. :smallamused: