PDA

View Full Version : Acid blasting animal?

loganic
2012-09-13, 08:58 AM
Was researching options for making a strong commoner at low level, starting from 1. Relatively speaking. The uber commoner thread was helping, but I got distracted by 'split soulmeld' feat.

If I get dissolving spittle and split it with a animal pet, double the attacks, right? When I can get more essentia, If I'm reading it right both my companion and I get the damage bonus?
Got 2 flaws, going human, noncore races not allowed. got 2 traits, to help with handle animal, ect. Just trying to optimize how I can.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 09:01 AM
Share Soulmeld feat, needs animal companion, familiar or mount which you can share spells with. Commoners don't have that option unless they multiclass into Druid, Wizard/sorc or pally. So no, you can't have an acid spitting dog as a commoner.

Psyren
2012-09-13, 09:12 AM
If you have some way of getting an arcane caster level of 3, you can Obtain a familiar. Magical Training will give you a CL of 1, but I don't see a way to bump that to 3 without more hit-dice and PS.

LTwerewolf
2012-09-13, 09:17 AM
Druid animal companion at 1 so quicker than going the arcane route.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 09:21 AM
I didn't remember Obtain familiar... if you can get 3 flaws and a trait you could go with an Azurin commoner .

1-Take the spelgifted trait for +1 CL on conjuration (and -1 on others),
2-Take Magical Training (as a sorc for cha synergy) and make one of your spells Acid Splash (conjuration)
3-Take spell thematics and select Acid splash as you 0 level thematic spell, now you have CL 3 when casting Acid splash.
4-Now take Obtain familiar and get whichever you want except for raven or owl (Share spells only works at a 5ft range IIRC)
5-Take Shape Souldmeld Acid Spittle
6-Take Share Souldmeld
7.????
8-Profit.

Psyren
2012-09-13, 09:31 AM
Druid animal companion at 1 so quicker than going the arcane route.

The idea is to be a Commoner though. Otherwise we could go Wizard/Sorcerer 1 for the familiar too.

I didn't remember Obtain familiar... if you can get 3 flaws and a trait you could go with an Azurin commoner .

1-Take the spelgifted trait for +1 CL on conjuration (and -1 on others),
2-Take Magical Training (as a sorc for cha synergy) and make one of your spells Acid Splash (conjuration)
3-Take spell thematics and select Acid splash as you 0 level thematic spell, now you have CL 3 when casting Acid splash.
4-Now take Obtain familiar and get whichever you want except for raven or owl (Share spells only works at a 5ft range IIRC)
5-Take Shape Souldmeld Acid Spittle
6-Take Share Souldmeld
7.????
8-Profit.

Yeah, that'll do it. Why not Raven though? It's Tiny, so it can share your space (read: perch on your shoulder) and both of you start spitting on goblins left and right.

Gerrtt
2012-09-13, 09:37 AM
Could you take the wild cohort feat to accomplish having the pet?

Linky (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)

That way you could stay a commoner.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 09:38 AM
The idea is to be a Commoner though. Otherwise we could go Wizard/Sorcerer 1 for the familiar too.

Yeah, that'll do it. Why not Raven though? It's Tiny, so it can share your space (read: perch on your shoulder) and both of you start spitting on goblins left and right.

If they fly away from you the share spell/souldmeld would be broken; but I forgot about their size and that they could share space...:smallredface:

Edit: Wild cohort doesn't grant the ability to share spells, and if you want to split hairs, Share Soulmeld specifically needs a familiar, animal companion or mount, so a wild cohort wouldn't qualify.

Psyren
2012-09-13, 09:46 AM
Could you take the wild cohort feat to accomplish having the pet?

Linky (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)

That way you could stay a commoner.

Dusk's build IS a commoner. All those feats and such are to get a familiar without being a wiz/sorc.

Gerrtt
2012-09-13, 09:57 AM
Edit: Wild cohort doesn't grant the ability to share spells, and if you want to split hairs, Share Soulmeld specifically needs a familiar, animal companion or mount, so a wild cohort wouldn't qualify.

Detail goes unnoticed. You would be correct.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 10:06 AM
For the record it is an illegal build unless you houserule that you can take 3 flaws, using Pathfinder feat progression allows for the trick at commoner 2.

eggs
2012-09-13, 10:07 AM
Wild cohort doesn't grant the ability to share spells, and if you want to split hairs, Share Soulmeld specifically needs a familiar, animal companion or mount, so a wild cohort wouldn't qualify.
If you didn't want to split hairs, symbionts would become hilarious. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2012-09-13, 10:14 AM
Swindlespitter spits acid naturally and the bloodstriker(?) has acidic blood that it can squirt out as a ranged attack or line effect(can't recall which) or that just gets on whoever attacks it in melee and causes damage that way ala Alien.

Both of those are from MM3 along with the ever-popular fleshraker.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 10:26 AM
If you didn't want to split hairs, symbionts would become hilarious. :smalltongue:

Everything is better with symbionts, particularly with Tentacle whip and Breed leeches as they don't have the "This symbiont won't make it's own attack when attached to a host" clause that many of the latter symbionts have.

Psyren
2012-09-13, 10:44 AM
For the record it is an illegal build unless you houserule that you can take 3 flaws, using Pathfinder feat progression allows for the trick at commoner 2.

Actually, you can make it legal. Simply devote your commoner to evil by signing a Pact Insidious (FC2 24). A bonus feat is 4 points, so you'll need two 2-point acts to achieve it - namely, desecrating a good temple and stealing from the needy. (You can also just torture someone - pretty easy for someone who can spit acid at-will - but the first two are much easier to get away with.)

The best part is that you can atone later after you've gained some levels to save your soul - you'll lose the free feat but can then just take it normally. Cleaning up the church and returning the goods you stole beforehand will satisfy the "truly repentant" clause per BoED, allowing you to benefit from the spell. Congratulations, your acid-spitting commoner (and acid-spitting wise-cracking raven sidekick) are now forces for good in the world.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 10:50 AM
That is really neat, I should re-read the FC2 in more detail. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2012-09-13, 10:54 AM
More trickery - the pacts usually forbid you from talking about their contents to a third-party. This would ordinarily keep you from going to a cleric to ask for forgiveness. However, no such prohibition applies to your familiar, and ravens can speak Common. When you're ready to wiggle out of your obligation, simply clean up Pelor's temple and leave your bird behind to inform the vicar of what took place.

Tsk, you'd think devils would word a contract better...

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 10:58 AM
More trickery - the pacts usually forbid you from talking about their contents to a third-party. This would ordinarily keep you from going to a cleric to ask for forgiveness. However, no such prohibition applies to your familiar, and ravens can speak Common. When you're ready to wiggle out of your obligation, simply clean up Pelor's temple and leave your bird behind to inform the vicar of what took place.

The pit fiend in charge of writing that contact was feeling lazy and let an Imp to write it; but the Imp was even lazier and just dictated it to a Lemure who forgot to add the footnote pertaining familiars/Psycrystals and similar.

Coidzor
2012-09-13, 10:59 AM
Nah, the lemure was the typewriter and it ran out of ink.

Zaq
2012-09-13, 11:01 AM

That's a fantastic loophole. I feel like the devils would hate you if you pulled it off, but they would respect you at the same time.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 11:04 AM
Wanna piss them of even more? Become Exalted after reclaiming your soul.

Psyren
2012-09-13, 11:09 AM
Wanna piss them of even more? Become Exalted after reclaiming your soul.

*insert trollface wearing halo*

Problem, Baator?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 11:30 AM
*insert trollface wearing halo*

Problem, BaatorAsmodeus?

Fixed that for you:smallwink:

loganic
2012-09-13, 12:28 PM
All awesome ideas.
What qualifies a handled animal as a mount? That I've ridden it once?
Any tips for the most inexpensive way to get a low HD 'mount', XD.
Am definetly going to look at FC2

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 12:33 PM
In this case Share Soulmeld refers to mount as in "Special mounts" class feature.

eggs
2012-09-13, 01:08 PM
It specifies that you have to be able to share spells with the mount, but I don't see anything identifying it as the paladin's class feature. So I think something like the Blackguard's fiendish servant or Silverwood Arcanist's Wild Cohort would work if the meldshaper sits on it sometimes, but that wouldn't open much of anything new for the commoner.