PDA

View Full Version : What weapon would this be? [3.5]

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 11:10 AM
Okay, here is my character concept.

Human Half-Minotaur
Class: Cleric
Size: Huge (Due to permanent magic item)

He carries around a lot of paints and wax coloring sticks (crayons). He also has a Huge Adamantine bound book for coloring and painting. When he's done drawing, he closes the book and locks it with a book lock. He then attaches an Adamantine pole to this book. He uses the book to hit things in combat.

What statistics should I use for this massive adamantine bound coloring book on a stick?

Quietus
2012-09-13, 11:13 AM
Easiest would be greatclub, or just a club if you don't have time to tie it to the stick.

leafman
2012-09-13, 11:15 AM
How long is the pole? If it is long enough it might classify as a bludgeoning polearm.

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 11:16 AM
Easiest would be greatclub, or just a club if you don't have time to tie it to the stick.

I thought Adamantine could only be added to items that are made of metal. Would the Club or Greatclub qualify for Adamantine?

How long is the pole? If it is long enough it might classify as a bludgeoning polearm.

See, I'm not sure. You know thoes old red knapsacks you see bumbs in old cartoons using? It would be a stick/pole like that. But instead of a knapsack of junk, he would have his adamantine coloring book attached to it. I guess if it's long enough, I could give it reach.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-09-13, 11:47 AM
Improvised weapon? Sure sounds like one.

Telonius
2012-09-13, 11:56 AM
Yeah, sounds like Improvised to me. If I had to pin it down, since it's made (mostly) of metal, I'd call it a morningstar, or possibly a flail.

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 12:25 PM
Improvised weapon? Sure sounds like one.

Yeah, sounds like Improvised to me. If I had to pin it down, since it's made (mostly) of metal, I'd call it a morningstar, or possibly a flail.

Maybe I didn't explain it very well. I guess some people thought I lashed an adamantine bound book to the end of a pole with some rope or something.

I imagine a large hammer. However, the bludgeoning end of the hammer has been altered so that it can be opened and there are pages inside. So it was crafted as a weapon, but it's also a book(coloring book). Lets say that for ease of coloring, the pole(handle) is detachable.

kitcik
2012-09-13, 12:27 PM
I picture it as a greathammer with the adamantite-covered book as the head.

EDIT: ninja'd by the OP lol

EDIT: ninja'd by the below while Googling, from MMIV

Dmg (S) Dmg (M) Critical Weight Type
1d10 1d12 19–20/×4 30 lb. Bludgeoning

Namfuak
2012-09-13, 12:29 PM
Why not use the stats for a Minotaur Greathammer?

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 12:32 PM
Why not use the stats for a Minotaur Greathammer?

Where is this found? I have an equipment list and it's not in there. Also, the Minotaur on the d20 SRD uses an axe.

kitcik
2012-09-13, 12:34 PM
Where is this found? I have an equipment list and it's not in there. Also, the Minotaur on the d20 SRD uses an axe.

I edited my above post. See above.

Namfuak
2012-09-13, 01:12 PM
I edited my above post. See above.

It should be noted that that's the stats it gives for a player to use a Minotaur Greathammer. The one in the monster stat block has a normal critical range (20) and is probably more fair. That's for you and your DM to work out of course.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-09-13, 01:13 PM
Yea, if it's a manufactured weapon the Greenhorn Greathammer would work nice. It's also one of the few exotic weapons that are worth the feat.

kitcik
2012-09-13, 01:25 PM
Note that the OP is huge, so the damage would scale accordingly.

EDIT: 1d12 for medium is 4d6 for huge, I believe.

The item could be called:
- the Technicolor Dreamhammer
- the Colorbynumbershammer
- the Adamantite Sketchammer
- Harold's Purple Hammer
- the Ineedyourfaceforarubbing Hammer
or something.

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 01:38 PM
Note that the OP is huge, so the damage would scale accordingly.

EDIT: 1d12 for medium is 4d6 for huge, I believe.

- Harold's Purple Hammer
or something.

OMG! I laughed for almost two minutes straight after reading "Ineedyourfaceforarubbing Hammer". :smallbiggrin:

Anodai
2012-09-13, 01:45 PM
A maul, perhaps?

Novawurmson
2012-09-13, 01:49 PM
- Harold's Purple Hammer

How about "Hammer of the Purple Herald?" Still includes the reference, but sounds like it might actually be in a fantasy story.

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 01:56 PM
I picture it as a greathammer with the adamantite-covered book as the head.

EDIT: ninja'd by the OP lol

EDIT: ninja'd by the below while Googling, from MMIV

Dmg (S) Dmg (M) Critical Weight Type
1d10 1d12 19–20/×4 30 lb. Bludgeoning

A maul, perhaps?

I think I like the Minotaur Greathammer statistics from the Monster Manual 4. The picture looks like the head of the hammer could be converted into a coloring book with a little creative crafting.

kitcik
2012-09-13, 02:03 PM
How about "Hammer of the Purple Herald?" Still includes the reference, but sounds like it might actually be in a fantasy story.

Not only that, but a herald might well carry a book!

Also:
Minotaur Crayon Hammer

... wait for it....

(or MC Hammer for short, of course)

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 02:14 PM
Not only that, but a herald might well carry a book!

Also:
Minotaur Crayon Hammer

... wait for it....

(or MC Hammer for short, of course)

Hehe... That's clever. :smallwink:

The Dark Fiddler
2012-09-13, 02:20 PM
- Harold's Purple Hammer
or something.

What about Maxwell's Adamantine Hammer?

ericgrau
2012-09-13, 02:45 PM
Get marvelous pigments (4,000 gp, DMG) and craft(painting) ASAP and watch your crayon drawings become reality. You don't need many ranks if you take a 10.

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 03:08 PM
Get marvelous pigments (4,000 gp, DMG) and craft(painting) ASAP and watch your crayon drawings become reality. You don't need many ranks if you take a 10.

That's a great idea. I think I'll add that to my concept. :smallbiggrin: Thanks for the suggestion!

HunterColt22
2012-09-13, 03:08 PM
A good book can keep you nailed down for hours.

Zombimode
2012-09-13, 03:23 PM
It's quite a hefty piece of art.

kitcik
2012-09-13, 03:26 PM
It will be read inside and out.

(that only works if you say it out loud due to the homonym)

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 03:49 PM
A good book can keep you nailed down for hours.

That got me thinking of Thor's Hammer. The weight of the Hammer in the Monster Manual 4 is 30 pounds for a Medium Hammer.

Large would be 60 pounds.

Huge would be 120 pounds.

As a Huge character with a Strength Score of around 38, I would have a carrying capacity of.... I don't know. (I can't seem to figure out my carrying capacity)

Well, what I was thinking was to create a weapon so heavy only my character or something larger than myself could lift.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-09-13, 03:58 PM
That got me thinking of Thor's Hammer. The weight of the Hammer in the Monster Manual 4 is 30 pounds for a Medium Hammer.

Large would be 60 pounds.

Huge would be 120 pounds.

As a Huge character with a Strength Score of around 38, I would have a carrying capacity of.... I don't know. (I can't seem to figure out my carrying capacity)

Well, what I was thinking was to create a weapon so heavy only my character or something larger than myself could lift.

Your carrying capacity (assuming 38 Str) would be 4 times greater than the capacity for 28 Str, times 4 again for being Huge. This gives you a light load of 6400 pounds, a medium load up to 12,800 pounds, and a heavy load up to 19,200 pounds.

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 04:02 PM
Your carrying capacity (assuming 38 Str) would be 4 times greater than the capacity for 28 Str, times 4 again for being Huge. This gives you a light load of 6400 pounds, a medium load up to 12,800 pounds, and a heavy load up to 19,200 pounds.

Thank you. So I would have a carrying capacity of 6,400 pounds for a light load.

How can I make my weapon as heavy as possible (without going over my 6,400 pound limit). Right now, a Huge Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer would weigh 120 pounds. I think I'd like it to be closer to 1,000 pounds if possible.

kitcik
2012-09-13, 04:12 PM
Thank you. So I would have a carrying capacity of 6,400 pounds for a light load.

How can I make my weapon as heavy as possible (without going over my 6,400 pound limit). Right now, a Huge Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer would weigh 120 pounds. I think I'd like it to be closer to 1,000 pounds if possible.

If I was the DM, I would simply let you make it 1,000 lbs if you wanted as a fluff thing.

Now, if you wanted a corresponding increase in damage (which is logical, but this is D&D not D&L), I would have issues. In that case, I would say that you would need a Colossal+ greathammer (120 x2 garg = 240 x2 col = 480 x2 col+ = 960). That would require you to have the ability to somehow wield it. Maybe you could get a permanent "Greater Mighty Wallop" of the appropriate level and we could then fluff the weapon weight.

Keep in mind that a 1,000 lb weapon is likely to either have a handle that is too narrow to support the weight of the massive head or too thick to be held by your (only huge) hands.

Not to mention that it will be quite a large coloring book at this point!

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 04:17 PM
If I was the DM, I would simply let you make it 1,000 lbs if you wanted as a fluff thing.

Now, if you wanted a corresponding increase in damage (which is logical, but this is D&D not D&L), I would have issues. In that case, I would say that you would need a Colossal+ greathammer (120 x2 garg = 240 x2 col = 480 x2 col+ = 960). That would require you to have the ability to somehow wield it. Maybe you could get a permanent "Greater Mighty Wallop" of the appropriate level and we could then fluff the weapon weight.

Keep in mind that a 1,000 lb weapon is likely to either have a handle that is too narrow to support the weight of the massive head or too thick to be held by your (only huge) hands.

Not to mention that it will be quite a large coloring book at this point!

No increase in damage is necessary. I just want it to be heavier so it's harder to steal (or lose).

Plus, when I was a kid, if I were given the choice of a normal sized coloring book or one of the massive sized coloring books (they were almost at tall as I was), I would have picked the bigger one. :smallcool: More space to color.

I guess I'll have to ask my DM if I can just make it a heavier weapon. I don't want to have to take Monkey Grip or the Strongarm Bracers. This character is a Cleric, so there's no need for me to increase the damage of my melee weapon. It's mostly just for flavor.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-09-13, 05:20 PM
I know there's rules for it in some book, but I'm not familiar with them, so I'm just speaking through basic logic here.

If you want your weapon to be heavier, you could always make it out of gold, which is a bit over twice as dense as iron; that'd bump it up to about 325 pounds.

Of course, there's also the issue that gold is much more malleable than iron, or steel. You'd have a pretty soft hammer.

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 06:45 PM
I know there's rules for it in some book, but I'm not familiar with them, so I'm just speaking through basic logic here.

If you want your weapon to be heavier, you could always make it out of gold, which is a bit over twice as dense as iron; that'd bump it up to about 325 pounds.

Of course, there's also the issue that gold is much more malleable than iron, or steel. You'd have a pretty soft hammer.

Plus, wouldn't that make it way more expensive than making it out of Adamantine?

I'm not sure I could afford 325 pounds of gold.

Campbellk8105
2012-09-13, 07:28 PM
Lead is a heavy material and fairly cheap. Have that be the inside of the hammer... book... thing....

Anywho, sounds like a fun weapon.

A funny thing also is in a campaign I was just playing in, I had a Half-Minotaur and he painted haha

Kansaschaser
2012-09-13, 09:04 PM
Anywho, sounds like a fun weapon.

A funny thing also is in a campaign I was just playing in, I had a Half-Minotaur and he painted haha

Awesome! My Half-Minotaur is a Cleric that will eventually get into the Runecaster prestige class. So, he will draw and color a lot. Once he becomes a runecaster, the drawings will be his "runes".