PDA

View Full Version : So bad it's... oh my! I must laugh!

lorddrake
2012-09-13, 12:09 PM
I was thinking. I like to take my IRL friends to a tour to the magical land of the worst films ever to laugh... Because they are bad, not because they tried to make them funny.

Maybe it is some masochistic taste for awful movies, but we like it.

I wanted to ask you, playground, what awful film must I watch for these sessions?

Lord_Gareth
2012-09-13, 12:21 PM
Ice Pirates. There is no movie worse than Ice Pirates, my friend. All I can say to describe it is this: "Our ship just got herpes."

Antonok
2012-09-13, 12:35 PM
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_Conquers_the_Martians) To this day I still don't have a clue what went on in that movie, and I've seen it twice.

Dumbledore lives
2012-09-13, 12:37 PM
Here's a list of movies we watched at ours:

Birdemic (The worst of the worst)
The Room
Ben and Arthur
Troll 2
Manos: The Hands of Fate
Plan 9 from Outer Space
Battlefield Earth

Lord_Gareth
2012-09-13, 12:38 PM
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_Conquers_the_Martians) To this day I still don't have a clue what went on in that movie, and I've seen it twice.

What? THEY MADE THAT? AND SOMEONE PUBLISHED IT?

But..but..what? WHY?

Dienekes
2012-09-13, 01:01 PM
There's the normal infamous ones

Plan 9
Manos
The Room
Anything by Uwe Boll
Battlefield Earth
Batman and Robin
Shark Attack: 3

Some lesser known ones

Lies and Illusions: Starts off a very generic and boring spy thriller with bad acting. But then it gets to the final and it suddenly becomes so bad it's hilarious. At one point Christian Slater yells "I don't care anymore!" and I honestly believe that was the actor giving up on the script and starting to do whatever the hell he wanted.

Samurai Cop

Killer Clowns from Outer Space

Black Gestapo

Mommie Dearest

Most of the Godzilla movies where he's good. I love them, but man oh man are they bad. Get the dubbed versions, half the fun is laughing when people are talking without their mouths moving.

And of course anything by Friedberg and Seltzer. Actually don't watch this one. Forget I mention it. If we all ignore them, maybe they will stop.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-13, 01:42 PM
Hercules and the Moon Men.
Titanic 2.
Zombies Anonymous(this is seriously one of the worst films ever made)
Ultraviolet.
Rubber(The tale of an evil, sentient car tire. I am, sadly, not kidding)

factotum
2012-09-13, 01:50 PM
Why don't you just go through the IMDB bottom 100 movies and see what comes out in the wash?

http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-13, 01:58 PM
Just to point out, not every incredibly bad movie becomes funny through being so bad.

A friend of mine insisted we watched Alexander for that same reason. Beyond a couple of chuckles at Alexander and his Fighting Irish the rest of the experience was phenominally lacking in value.

Choose your stinkers wisely.

Traab
2012-09-13, 02:03 PM
There was this martial art film, (often good for this very thing) called, Legend of the Red Dragon. If I am remembering correctly, at one point the hero is stuck inside a living hamster ball made of ninjas. Seriously, there is a sphere of enemy ninjas around him attacking him as it rolls around. Or maybe it was an indiana jones style run from the living boulder of ninjas, I forget which. Either way, I laughed so hard I couldnt see what happened next. Oh yeah, its a jet li flick too.

Doomboy911
2012-09-13, 02:38 PM
I'd like to say that rubber is actually quite interesting story wise because it's insane so I recommend it. Watch it and prepare to be confused. For bad films I'd recommend maximum overdrive (still I liked it) and the lawnmower man guess what they have in common win a prize.

Triscuitable
2012-09-13, 05:28 PM
I'm planning on showing The Room at my birthday this weekend.

Telonius
2012-09-13, 05:30 PM
I have not seen them, but "The Human Centipede" both 1 and 2 are apparently some of the most awful, horrific wastes of film in history.

Tengu_temp
2012-09-13, 05:35 PM
For a start, I suggest these MST3K classics:
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
Space Mutiny
Hobgoblins
Puma Man

I'd advise against Manos, though. Most of the time it's not laughably bad, but boringly bad. The MST3K treatment helps, but not much.

Weezer
2012-09-13, 05:42 PM
I'll second Killer Clowns from Outer Space. It's hilariously bad. Man eating pop corn, people getting trapped in balloons then hauled around (and somehow floating), cotton candy as a weapon. It has it all.

JoshL
2012-09-13, 06:23 PM
Good suggestions, Troll 2 is one of my all time favorites. I'd also mention Sinbad of the Seven Seas starring Lou Ferrigno. Drags a bit at the hour mark, but well worth it and way better in a crowd.

Virtual Combat starring Don "the Dragon" Wilson is another favorite. Doubly so if it's a crowd of videogamers.

Pretty much any fantasy movie made in the 80s qualifies, but I have a soft spot for The Eyes of the Serpent and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II.

And if you can slip one intentionally bad in there, I'd mention The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (another personal favorite). If you haven't seen it, and love bad 50's sci-fi, you'll love it.

Kyberwulf
2012-09-13, 06:28 PM
Max Magician and the Legend of the rings

Seriously...

Avilan the Grey
2012-09-13, 06:48 PM
Sy-Fy Original Movies. All of them.

Oh and also:

Hell Comes To Frog Town.

Lord_Gareth
2012-09-13, 07:01 PM
I cannot believe I forgot to mention this before:

Poultrygeist.

Eurus
2012-09-13, 07:12 PM
Leprechaun
Leprechaun 2
Leprechaun 3
Leprechaun 4: In Space
Leprechaun: In the Hood
Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood

Yes. There were six of them.

The Glyphstone
2012-09-13, 07:14 PM
Leprechaun
Leprechaun 2
Leprechaun 3
Leprechaun 4: In Space
Leprechaun: In the Hood
Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood

Yes. There were six of them.

It's amazing what Warwick Davis will do for money. But then, you can't blame him, movie roles for his body type aren't exactly common outside the comic relief subgenre.

Also, they are rebooting the franchise. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprechaun:_Origins#Reboot)

Alarra
2012-09-13, 07:24 PM
Da Hip Hop Witch. So terrible.

JoshL
2012-09-13, 07:42 PM
Da Hip Hop Witch. So terrible.

Anytime you get Vanilla Ice on screen, you know you're in for terrible comedy gold (comedy pyrite?)

And if you are only going to watch one Leprechaun film (though you should watch them all), I'd go with In Space. So terrible!

Inglenook
2012-09-13, 07:45 PM
Max Magician and the Legend of the rings
THIS. THIS SO MUCH. Plot Summary: Aspergery kid is shown a world of magic by his pedophile neighbor, meets a demented mouse named Crimble, and stumbles into what looks like a group of reject Renaissance Fairgoers. BBEG is made of pure ham and farts between lines. Later they all feast on the decaying corpse of the fantasy genre!

Also, The Room is the funniest movie I own, I think.

urikson
2012-09-13, 07:47 PM
The Room is the best worst film ever. Nostalgia Critic's take on the film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsgIq7cxhJk) had me laughing half to death.

Almost as superbly bad is a gem called Hammer of the Gods (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260572/). I have actually seen LARPs that delivered better dialogues and more believable fight scenes than this one.

Mauve Shirt
2012-09-13, 08:23 PM
The best part of Max the Magician is that the set is the actual grounds of the Maryland Renaissance Festival. :smallbiggrin:

For Halloween, try Thankskilling!

kpenguin
2012-09-13, 08:32 PM
I am disappointed at the lack of SyFy Original monster movies here. Roger Corman directed things, especially!

Alarra
2012-09-13, 08:39 PM
Nostalgia Critic's take on the film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsgIq7cxhJk) had me laughing half to death. That is the funniest thing I've watched in quite some time. :smallsmile:

Rake21
2012-09-13, 11:26 PM
Ninja (No, nothing else on it. Just "Ninja". It's on Netflix.)

Jaws: The Revenge

Dungeons & Dragons (If only for Jeremy Irons' God-like hamminess and Flue-Lips awfulness)

Most of the SyFy monster of the week flicks.

Any Godzilla movie (Though they mostly devolve into inappropriate WWII jokes after a while)

Aedilred
2012-09-13, 11:42 PM
If you want to go slightly more mainstream:

Jurassic Park 3 (some would debate this; this is firmly up there as the first film I ever resented for the time it took to watch. The money was a side issue).
Transformers 2. This is an experience that I and all others I know who have watched it would like to move on from without further comment.
Star Wars Holiday Special. Legendarily crappy.

It might not quite fit your parameters, as it was made with tongue firmly in cheek, but Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter is an excellent terrible film.

There are thousands of awful B-movies out there too. One that was brought into my house (I refused to watch it) was Shark in Venice, which I'm told was as bad as it sounds.

Sandsharks is also apparently in the same category.

Basically anything with sharks in that isn't the original Jaws, Deep Blue Sea or Open Water.

Most of the Jaws shark-substitute films are pretty terrible, too: Piranha; Anaconda... Piranha 3DD, and so on.

SnowballMan
2012-09-14, 12:14 AM
The Return of Captain Invincible

Death Race 2000

And if you want painfully bad, might I recommend, "The Dead Matter" - Produced by a group that is known for making excellent horror themed music. Sadly they fail completely at making an actual horror movie.

Forrestfire
2012-09-14, 12:20 AM
I'm going to second Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter. It was the first movie that popped into my head when I saw the title :smalltongue:

It's somewhere between (but more towards horrible) So Bad it's Horrible (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/SoBadItsHorrible) and So Bad it's Good (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoBadItsGood). The fact that it's a musical helps, though :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and Baby Geniuses. I have no idea what they were smoking when they made that movie, but it was one hell of a drug.

Antonok
2012-09-14, 12:44 AM
Oh, and Baby Geniuses. I have no idea what they were smoking when they made that movie, but it was one hell of a drug.

That's a funny movie. Its not badly done, but the idea behind it is.... weird.

And I don't know how this skipped my mind, but Idle Hands (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138510/). The best summery I've ever heard about that movie is 'Its like someone gave a bunch of high school kids a bag of (insert green plant here) and told them to write a script.'

Hopeless
2012-09-14, 06:25 AM
I was thinking. I like to take my IRL friends to a tour to the magical land of the worst films ever to laugh... Because they are bad, not because they tried to make them funny.

Maybe it is some masochistic taste for awful movies, but we like it.

I wanted to ask you, playground, what awful film must I watch for these sessions?

Men in White: Truly awful comedy

The Stupids: Had Christopher Lee in it as a villain and even he couldn't save it!

Space Marines: The only movie where not only should the villain have been the hero but the lead should have been shot and outright killed and thats because his performance was so dire it makes the trailer to the D&D the book of vile darkness look almost acceptable in comparison!

Ravens_cry
2012-09-14, 06:30 AM
The Cat From Outer Space.
I loved this movie as a kid, and it still has that ham and cheese charm now.
Favourite quote?
"It's mind-boggling! Well . . .it boggled my mind."
Street Fighter: The Movie.
Yes, it's bad, very bad, 80's bad, yet Raul Julia saves this and makes it high cured porcine cuisine.
Favourite line?
All of them.

Raimun
2012-09-14, 06:51 AM
Zombie Holocaust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_Holocaust)

It's very bad. It's supposed to be a straight scary movie but you can't helping laughing at it and everyone involved in making it. I must warn you, it's not very PC.

shadow_archmagi
2012-09-14, 07:25 AM
I'll second Death Race 2000. An early Sylvester Stalone makes this one notable!

I'll also add, of course, Santa Clause and the Ice Cream Bunny (Though I admit that a large part of this film will consist of your friends refusing to believe this wasn't filmed in your garage specifically to spite them.)

The Adam West Batman film is mandatory viewing.

Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

TheEmerged
2012-09-14, 08:06 AM
The Adam West Batman film is mandatory viewing.

I'll agree it's mandatory viewing... but that one falls under intentionally bad.

LaughingGnoll
2012-09-14, 08:39 AM
Jurassic Park 3 (some would debate this; this is firmly up there as the first film I ever resented for the time it took to watch. The money was a side issue).
Transformers 2. This is an experience that I and all others I know who have watched it would like to move on from without further comment.

I'll agree with the first, as it was pretty bad, but it's still watchable without people making comments on how bad it is. While most of my friends agree with me that it was unnecessary, there are still plenty of people whom I know who swear it was better than the original Jurassic Park.

The second I wouldn't agree so much. It's VERY watchable, and although the odd comment can be tossed here and there about the bad acting, most likely everyone in the room will be too busy being fascinated by explosions and giant robot-fights to notice.

Star Wars Holiday Special. Legendarily crappy.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother scouring the internet for a copy of it. Yes, it's legendarily crappy, but it's not even a case of "So Bad It's Good" or "So Bad it's Funny". It's really just "So Bad ... Why the hell are we watching this?" Unless the OP really wants to torture his friends (and probably himself in the process, STAY AWAY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. ;)

The Adventures of Pluto Nash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Pluto_Nash) was pretty bad, despite having an ok premise and a pretty decent set of actors. Eddie Murphy can't even make you laugh in this film, though try he may.

The Giant Claw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giant_Claw) may be hard to get your hands on (legally), but it's a much older film that was very badly done, but still manages to bring a laugh around. I remember seeing it at a "So Bad it's Good" party, though I haven't found a copy of it ever since.

MLai
2012-09-14, 10:29 AM
Avenging Disco Godfather
The funniest and worst blaxploitation film I've ever seen. Bonus points for being blaxploitation.

Gymkata
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Worse than the worst American Ninja movie.

Fjolnir
2012-09-14, 10:59 AM
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter would have been an excellent movie if there was a budget for it...

Radar
2012-09-14, 12:51 PM
The Giant Claw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giant_Claw) may be hard to get your hands on (legally), but it's a much older film that was very badly done, but still manages to bring a laugh around. I remember seeing it at a "So Bad it's Good" party, though I haven't found a copy of it ever since.
I was unable to find that one, but The Killer Shrews (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Shrews) is available on archive.org, so it's probably legit.

Anyway, Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Saves_the_World) - very cheap SF with hilariously bad special effects and blatant rip-offs. See this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBb_VnkMJRU&feature=related) scene - aliens/monsters in this movie are even more hilarious and don't get me strated on the fight scenes. There were also turkish and indian rip-offs of Rambo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Rambo), Superman and other fameous franchises. They aren't easy to find though.

I'm not sure, if I should propose Tremors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremors_%28film%29), since it's a genuinly great horror comedy. I don't know anything about it's sequels.

Avilan the Grey
2012-09-14, 04:09 PM
I'll agree it's mandatory viewing... but that one falls under intentionally bad.

Indeed. It is obviously shot under one enormous lampshade.

Aedilred
2012-09-14, 07:26 PM
The second [Transformers 2] I wouldn't agree so much. It's VERY watchable, and although the odd comment can be tossed here and there about the bad acting, most likely everyone in the room will be too busy being fascinated by explosions and giant robot-fights to notice.

I would disagree, but I'll accept it's a matter of opinion. I get the impression that the director and everyone involved on the project was hoping that the explosions and giant robot fights would distract the audience from what a truly awful film they'd just made. The Michael Bay school of direction.

I saw it with a friend, and we had no idea what was going on at any point. The explosions and giant robot fights just served to make this worse, because we had no idea what was exploding or why, or who the giant robots fighting were, what they were fighting for or who was winning. Then, once each eyeball-straining fight scene was done, the film would move on without explanation, assuming we were paying attention.

That's before we get into the questions we couldn't stop ourselves from asking: "Why does that robot have a walking stick?" "Was this script supposed to be racist, or did it just turn out that way?" "Did anyone involved with this project so much as glance at a map of the Middle East during filming?" "Am I so confused that I'm seeing things, or did that robot have wrecking balls for testicles?" [spoiler: I wasn't seeing things]. And so forth.

Roger Ebert actually summed up my viewing experience pretty well:

If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination.

The day will come when Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen will be studied in film classes and shown at cult film festivals. It will be seen, in retrospect, as marking the end of an era. Of course there will be many more CGI-based action epics, but never again one this bloated, excessive, incomprehensible, long (149 minutes) or expensive ($200 million).

I really cannot overemphasise how awful I found that film.

dps
2012-09-14, 08:07 PM
Ice Pirates. There is no movie worse than Ice Pirates, my friend. All I can say to describe it is this: "Our ship just got herpes."

I have to sort of disagree. Yeah, it's campy, stupid fun, but it's supposed to be campy, stupid fun, as best as I can tell. In other words, it's supposed to be funny, but the OP asked for movies that weren't intended to be funny.

The Glyphstone
2012-09-14, 09:20 PM
Michael Bay thinks Transformers 2 sucks...I don't think it can get more definite than that.

urikson
2012-09-14, 09:42 PM
I have watched Transformers 2 with my brother and my nephew, the latter being 7 at the time. When the movie has finished his comment was, "it's a shame they couldn't just place the camera on a rock or something. At least we could have seen the cool robots..."

I would also like to add that it's a shame they didn't write a script for this one... :/

The Second
2012-09-14, 09:59 PM
Night of the Lepus. Beware the killer bunnies!

Zombie Strippers. Zombies make great exotic dancers.

The happening. The plants did it! And not in the cool Day of the Triffids style either.

Jason X. Jason + space + killer fembot in black leather. What could go wrong?

Slugs. The best part is when the parasites erupt from the guys face.

Squirm. "Now you gonna be the worm face!"

Avilan the Grey
2012-09-15, 12:31 AM
I saw it with a friend, and we had no idea what was going on at any point. The explosions and giant robot fights just served to make this worse, because we had no idea what was exploding or why, or who the giant robots fighting were, what they were fighting for or who was winning. Then, once each eyeball-straining fight scene was done, the film would move on without explanation, assuming we were paying attention.

Now you list two problems here: Are you saying that you didn't pay attention, or are you saying that the plot was too complicated to follow? In this paragraph you argue both? I can't really argue about the former; if the movie bores you so much you don't pay attention to it, then sure. But the latter? It is an extremely straightforward plot.

Edit: as for Ebert and other critics: It is a well known fact that this movie is one of the greatest examples of Critical dissonance (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CriticalDissonance). I am not sure what is more common though; this version (where the critics hate something and the audience loves it) or the other (where the critics love something that the audience hates).

MLai
2012-09-15, 12:39 AM
Wait, people loved TF2?
Where did you get this notion? Box office?

Avilan the Grey
2012-09-15, 12:42 AM
Wait, people loved TF2?

Yes. It was quite the success. (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers2.htm)

Mystic Muse
2012-09-15, 02:49 AM
Wait, people loved TF2?

I love TF2!

...Wait, we're not talking about Team Fortress 2, are we?

Never mind then.:smalltongue:

VanBuren
2012-09-15, 03:49 AM
How on earth have we come this far without mentioning Bio-Dome?

Studoku
2012-09-15, 03:53 AM
Hypothetically, if there was a live action Avatar: the Last Airbender movie directed by M. Night Whatshisface, that would be pretty terrible.

Fortunately, no such film exists.

willpell
2012-09-15, 03:57 AM
OP, you should acquaint yourself with HeadInjuryTheater, the website of Jared von Hindman (who has since become the writer of D&D Outsider). It sounds like you're one of his people.

Ultraviolet.

This stands as my high-water mark for a movie that is so over-the-top that it stops being cool. I wanted to legitimately enjoy it, and I did a little, but it really is rather thoroughly bungled. It had one of the best trailers I've ever seen, though - far, far better than a goodly number of entire movies including its own.

Rubber(The tale of an evil, sentient car tire. I am, sadly, not kidding)

From what I hear, this one is intentionally farcical, so it shouldn't really count.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-15, 03:59 AM
Hypothetically, if there was a live action Avatar: the Last Airbender movie directed by M. Night Whatshisface, that would be pretty terrible.

Fortunately, no such film exists.
Which is too bad as modern CGI could potentially render elemental bending exquisitely.

willpell
2012-09-15, 06:00 AM
The Adventures of Pluto Nash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Pluto_Nash) was pretty bad, despite having an ok premise and a pretty decent set of actors. Eddie Murphy can't even make you laugh in this film, though try he may.

I always confuse this title with another similar movie of about the same time - it stars another black funnyman, I'm pretty sure it's Martin Laurence, as a superhero who's afraid of heights so he only flies a foot and a half off the ground. I don't recall the title.

Crow
2012-09-15, 06:19 PM
I saw a pretty bad remake of Moby **** a while back. Well, the first 20 minutes of it.

It was baaaaaaad.

You'll love watching as the whale, after smashing seamn Ahab's nuclear attack sub, decides he is going to take Ahab's leg, just because he can. Match this up with some horrible CGI, and...

Well, as I said, i didn't watch all of it. But if you want a bad movie, there it is.

cleric_of_BANJO
2012-09-16, 10:45 PM
BIRDEMIC: Shock and Terror. If you're not on the floor about 45 minutes in, then there's something wrong with you.

It's all on youtube by the way, in one video.

Feytalist
2012-09-17, 02:05 AM
I saw a pretty bad remake of Moby **** a while back. Well, the first 20 minutes of it.

It was baaaaaaad.

I saw a fantasy version once. Ahab (played by Danny Glover) hunted the White Dragon in some sort of a horse-drawn tank thing on wheels. It was simultaneously very bad and actually pretty good. Called Age of the Dragons.

willpell
2012-09-17, 03:56 AM
For a non-movie, non-bad, extremely strange take on Moby Dork*, assuming you're not weak-stomached about the sight of guys with no skin, check out Rick Veitch's "Abraxas and the Earthman".

* Such a wonderful censor, that thinks the short form of the common name Richard is obscene, but a word which is more specifically genitals-related (albeit still not very vulgar) gets through.

PhantomFox
2012-09-17, 04:27 AM
Now you list two problems here: Are you saying that you didn't pay attention, or are you saying that the plot was too complicated to follow? In this paragraph you argue both? I can't really argue about the former; if the movie bores you so much you don't pay attention to it, then sure. But the latter? It is an extremely straightforward plot.

Edit: as for Ebert and other critics: It is a well known fact that this movie is one of the greatest examples of Critical dissonance (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CriticalDissonance). I am not sure what is more common though; this version (where the critics hate something and the audience loves it) or the other (where the critics love something that the audience hates).

If it's anything like the first Transformers movie by Bay, then I can understand what he's saying. The action scenes in that one were almost incomprehensible due to the amount of quick-cuts and shaky cam. I couldn't figure out which two robots were fighting and who was on what side before it cut to another portion of the fight. So it wasn't the STORY that was hard to follow, it was the action scenes that, while admittedly awesome, were impossible to follow as anything other than a pretty light show.

Avilan the Grey
2012-09-17, 05:52 AM
If it's anything like the first Transformers movie by Bay, then I can understand what he's saying. The action scenes in that one were almost incomprehensible due to the amount of quick-cuts and shaky cam. I couldn't figure out which two robots were fighting and who was on what side before it cut to another portion of the fight.

Hmm... I had no problem. Of course I found the movie entertaining, so I naturally paid close attention.