PDA

View Full Version : Smash in the Playground

INoKnowNames
2012-09-13, 12:40 PM
http://coolrom.com/screenshots/n64/Super%20Smash%20Bros..gif

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081203200525/ssb/images/c/c4/SSBMCast.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AdnSJ3HEna4/TbId8wjMZhI/AAAAAAAAAAc/BArh8oXxNc4/s1600/brawl.jpg

Considering how awesome this series was, and is, I hope I'm not the only Smasher still around. Come on, Playground! What do ya got? Let's see who's ready to Smash, be it a classic Fight, Melee, or Brawl!!

Let this be the place for Smashers of all kinds, styles, skills, ages, and characters get together to talk about all things Smash! Your favorite characters, stages, funnest fight, memorable moments, all the good stuff! And heck, it'd be fun to get a few tournaments in if we can! Let's go!

Brawl Information:

{table=head]Player|NickName|Friend Code|Main|Sub
INoKnowNames|NAMES|2108-6111-4670|Pikachu|Lucario,Pit,Samus
TheSummoner| |4598-3639-1630|Wario| None Listed
Zevox|Zmboi|4897-5645-8972|Lucas|Falco,KingDedede
Jade Dragon|Jade|3568-5240-4066|Fox|Samus,ZSS,ToonLink
[/table]

Remind me if you want to be added!

TheSummoner
2012-09-13, 05:22 PM
Friend Code: 4598-3639-1630
Character: Wario

We really should try to set some sort of regular play times too. Monday evenings maybe?

Edit: And now that I got that information up, anyone have any thoughts on characters you'd like to see in Smash Bros 4? Here are a few of mine and some of the moves they should have.

Dixie Kong - From DKC Series
Medium-fast and light weight.

Up+B - Ponytail Twirl
Dixie Kong spins her ponytail, greatly reducing her fall speed. She gains no height from this and can stop and restart the twirl as many times as she likes. It gives her great horizontal recovery but limited vertical recovery.

Little Mac - From Punch-Out! Series
Medium-fast and medium-light weight.

Final Smash - Triple Star Punch
Little Mac delivers a devistating punch that sends his opponent shooting upwards. Typically a one-hit kill unless they hit something. Low range. Maybe a quick cutscene where his target has an "Oh crap" face before getting hit. (Kinda like Captain Falcon's has a quick cutscene)

Megaman - From Megaman Series
Medium weight and speed. Similar to how Kirby can copy powers, Megaman gains a weapon every time he KO's an opponent. Each weapon has limited energy and can only be used a few times before he loses it. KO'ing the same opponent again will refill his weapon energy.

Waluigi - From Mario Series
A troll character. His attacks would behave differently than one would expect them to. Some attacks have awkward delays in their animation whereas others are much quicker than the lead up would suggest.

Zevox
2012-09-13, 05:51 PM
Friend Code: 4897-5645-8972

I played a variety of characters back when I was playing a lot, but my main was Lucas, with Falco and King Dedede as the ones I was next-best at.

Oddly, I seem to change characters every game. In the original I played Captain Falcon, but I disliked the changes made to him going into Melee, so I dropped him there. I played Marth in Melee, but disliked the feel of him in Brawl (I think it may be that he's the only character where I could really feel the physics changes between the two games, because I was so used to how he performed in Melee), so I dropped him there. I wonder if that pattern will continue with the fourth game?

Out of curiosity, to get some discussion going, what kind of characters would people like to see added in the next game? As I'm currently playing Kid Icarus: Uprising I find myself hoping to see at least a character or two from it. The big two being Palutena and Dark Pit. Normally I wouldn't suggest a character like Dark Pit, but this game actually pulls him off as a different character, and he'd be perfect to use a variety of the different weapons Uprising gave Pit (perhaps as a stance-change character, alternating between weapons like the Pokémon Trainer alternates between Pokémon). And Palutena because she's just so damn fun as a character - and being a goddess, they'd have a heck of a lot of freedom in designing her play style and moves. (I'd like to see some more magic-users in general, honestly, since we only have Zelda and the Earthbound kids for that so far.) Alternately, Medusa or Hades as a villain addition would work, or perhaps even Viridi.

Aside from that, there's a few I had been hoping to see in Brawl: namely Krystal (from Star Fox; her staff from Adventures is practically a ready-made moveset to begin with), Isaac (from Golden Sun; his son Matthew from Dark Dawn would work too, as they're basically interchangeable in terms of abilities), Lyn (from Fire Emblem), and Midna (from Zelda, of course; preferably in Imp form). Yeah, I know Isaac and Lyn are Assist Trophies, but they don't need to remain such.

Edit: Oh, and Mega Man, of course. Get him into the same game as Mario and Sonic and my inner child will be squeeing with delight for years.

We really should try to set some sort of regular play times too. Monday evenings maybe?
That'd be impossible for me I'm afraid, as my work schedule changes weekly.

Zevox

TheSummoner
2012-09-13, 05:53 PM
How bout right now since this thread got me to break out the disc and start playing. =P

Zevox
2012-09-13, 06:48 PM
How bout right now since this thread got me to break out the disc and start playing. =P
If you're still interested (I see I missed this for some time), I'm willing to try. I don't know how lag will be though, as I'm using a different connection than when I last played. Also, expect much rust on my part, as I haven't played in literally years I think.

Edit: Or not. Game's freezing up on me. Shoot.

Edit 2: Yeah, I can't do anything right now. The game won't go past the "press any button to start" screen most of the time, and the one time it did, it crashed after a quick one-life fight with a computer. I see the disk has acquired some scratches, so maybe if I get it repaired it'll work smoothly again, but that won't happen until tomorrow at least.

Zevox

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-13, 07:59 PM
I have Brawl, hhaving bought it soon after getting a Wii because an old friend had Melee and I had loved it. I like to switch between characters to a certain extent (about half the characers see use), so that I don't get too stale (it doesn't help that I often go on hiatuses from the game that last up to six months, although I quickly regain whatever skill I had at shielding and rolling). I prefer Fox, although I've been playing a lot of Samus (I prefer Zero Suit Samus'. Too bad I can't start with her like I can with Zelda/Shiek, so I gotta play with items on) and I'm skilled at Toon Link from the time when I played him a lot.

We definitely gotta set up games, though. The Brawl multiplayer is way worse than the Mario Kart multiplayer.

My friend code is 3568-5240-4066. I'll invite Summoner and Zevox to my roster (although the "nickname" section only allows five-letter words, so while Zevox is fine, I can't even put in "Summon". Any nickname you'd prefer? The name I gave myself is Jade).

Gonna polish up tonight, maybe we can get a game going tomorrow.

Zevox
2012-09-13, 08:44 PM
(I prefer Zero Suit Samus'. Too bad I can't start with her like I can with Zelda/Shiek, so I gotta play with items on)
You can select ZSS from the start. Hold the block button* while selecting the character and keep it held until the fight starts, and Samus will shed her armor during her intro, starting in Zero Suit form. I used that all the time, as I much prefer ZSS to regular Samus.

*I think - if that doesn't work try jump. I remember it was one of the two on nunchuk in the wiimote + nunchuk control scheme, and those are the two.

My friend code is 3568-5240-4066. I'll invite Summoner and Zevox to my roster (although the "nickname" section only allows five-letter words, so while Zevox is fine, I can't even put in "Summon". Any nickname you'd prefer? The name I gave myself is Jade).
The names will automatically revert to what we put in when creating our account for the game once we're successfully added to the list anyway, so you needn't worry about what you put in - it's just a placeholder.

My account name was Zmobi, incidentally. (Or something like that - my brother came up with it, it's a bastardized five-letter version of "zombie.")

Zevox

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-13, 08:49 PM
*I think - if that doesn't work try jump. I remember it was one of the two on nunchuk in the wiimote + nunchuk control scheme, and those are the two.

I use the Gameboycube controller. Easy to taunt and do uncharged smash attacks on, and I like how it feels in my hand. I'll try holding different buttons, though.

Zevox
2012-09-13, 08:51 PM
I use the Gameboy controller. Easy to taunt and do uncharged smash attacks on, and I like how it feels in my hand. I'll try holding different buttons, though.
I think you mean Gamecube. And that's why I mentioned what they did, not the specific buttons. Logically it should be tied to the appropriate function, since the game lets you freely reassign the buttons' functions.

Zevox

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-13, 08:56 PM
I think you mean Gamecube. And that's why I mentioned what they did, not the specific buttons. Logically it should be tied to the appropriate function, since the game lets you freely reassign the buttons' functions.

Zevox

Gah, yeah, Gamecube.

And it worked.

INoKnowNames
2012-09-13, 09:15 PM
Friend Code: 4598-3639-1630
Character: Wario

God, a Wario Main the -first- reply. I've never been good at fighting Wario, though my Pikachu doesn't leave me as screwed.

I have a little time on Monday Night spent at Church and at the Gym, but otherwise I'd be down for Monday evening.

Friend Code: 4897-5645-8972

I played a variety of characters back when I was playing a lot, but my main was Lucas, with Falco and King Dedede as the ones I was next-best at.

Just out of curiosity, do you chain grab with Falco and Dedede a lot?

I have Brawl, hhaving bought it soon after getting a Wii because an old friend had Melee and I had loved it. I like to switch between characters to a certain extent (about half the characers see use), so that I don't get too stale (it doesn't help that I often go on hiatuses from the game that last up to six months, although I quickly regain whatever skill I had at shielding and rolling). I prefer Fox, although I've been playing a lot of Samus (I prefer Zero Suit Samus'. Too bad I can't start with her like I can with Zelda/Shiek, so I gotta play with items on) and I'm skilled at Toon Link from the time when I played him a lot.

Pretty sure you can start with Zero Suit Samus. (http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Suit_Samus_(SSBB)#Starting_as_Zero_Suit_Samus _in_Brawl:) I've done it on accident a couple of times.

Oddly, I seem to change characters every game. In the original I played Captain Falcon, but I disliked the changes made to him going into Melee, so I dropped him there. I played Marth in Melee, but disliked the feel of him in Brawl (I think it may be that he's the only character where I could really feel the physics changes between the two games, because I was so used to how he performed in Melee), so I dropped him there. I wonder if that pattern will continue with the fourth game?

Hm.... I wasn't ever particularly bothered by the physics, at least when I first played the games. When I went back to 64 and Melee from Brawl, boy was I surprised at how drastically things evolved!

I first started off with Samus and Kirby, Samus because... well, Frieza vs Goku was so awesome, and about that time, my brother and I liked play fighting Samus vs Fox like that. Samus became one of my mains, and Fox one of my brothers. When Melee came about, Mario, Falco, and Mewtwo joined characters that I played, though I never really won much... Fox and Marth were jerks! I immediately picked up Samus again, and fell in love with Lucario, but I was still getting my butt kicked.

Then I grabbed Pikachu in the Sub Space Emissary... and everything changed. Pikachu's a beast! Forget the Pocket, he's just a monster! Not that it was all about winning, but my brother was the strongest person I've fought in that game who wasn't playing professionally, so we tended to take it seriously. So I enjoyed being able to finally stop losing to him.

Pit's a joy, and I'm still decent with Samus, as well as Zero Suit Samus. But really, I've given the entire roster a try, and I don't think there's any character I'm not capable of using... then again, it's been a bit since I've really sat down and played. I enjoy playing whoever for fun and for seriousness, but when it's time to get down to business, Bandanachu (Green Headband Pikachu) comes to town to clean up!

That'd be impossible for me I'm afraid, as my work schedule changes weekly.

Mine stays fixed, but I've just got a lot to do... setting aside extra energy to play games has been a chore... though with other people to play with, I can find a way. :smallamused:

If I hadn't gotten this post at the time of taking a history test (should not have been checking my phone; I'd have been dead if I got caught), I'd be fighting you still if I had my way.

If you're still interested (I see I missed this for some time), I'm willing to try. I don't know how lag will be though, as I'm using a different connection than when I last played. Also, expect much rust on my part, as I haven't played in literally years I think.

Edit: Or not. Game's freezing up on me. Shoot.

Edit 2: Yeah, I can't do anything right now. The game won't go past the "press any button to start" screen most of the time, and the one time it did, it crashed after a quick one-life fight with a computer. I see the disk has acquired some scratches, so maybe if I get it repaired it'll work smoothly again, but that won't happen until tomorrow at least.

Yeah, I had that problem myself. The Smash experience was so sacred to our family, I went and purchased a new disk, just for the heck of it. The old one was messing up, even on the new Wii (the old wii's got a lot longer a loading time).

We definitely gotta set up games, though. The Brawl multiplayer is way worse than the Mario Kart multiplayer.

..... I'd kill for Mario Kart in the Playground, too. But Brawl is so much more hype.

I'll list nick names in the op post. Anything else I should add about each person? Prefered rule set or stage? Or should that be something we come up with as a group, be it by our own decisions or copy/pasted from a different smash rule set I know to be semi balanced (despite having banned Metaknight)?

Definitely. 4 Player Insanity... if enough people see this over night, we might have to get a tournament going!

On my new Wii, I don't actually have all but the basic characters unlocked. I suppose I can get back into shape by unlocking everything again! Of course, Pikachu is still usable, so that's all that matters to me.

Edit: And now that I got that information up, anyone have any thoughts on characters you'd like to see in Smash Bros 4? Here are a few of mine and some of the moves they should have.

This is good for a conversation.

Dixie Kong - From DKC Series
Medium-fast and light weight.

Up+B - Ponytail Twirl
Dixie Kong spins her ponytail, greatly reducing her fall speed. She gains no height from this and can stop and restart the twirl as many times as she likes. It gives her great horizontal recovery but limited vertical recovery.

Personally, I'd prefer Tiny over Dixie. More material for special attacks, from her Weapon to her Musical Instrument, and her ability to Shrink (for dodges). Plus, her Final Smash could have her call Funky Kong to the stage to get really big and deliver a pounding.

Little Mac - From Punch-Out! Series
Medium-fast and medium-light weight.

Final Smash - Triple Star Punch
Little Mac delivers a devistating punch that sends his opponent shooting upwards. Typically a one-hit kill unless they hit something. Low range. Maybe a quick cutscene where his target has an "Oh crap" face before getting hit. (Kinda like Captain Falcon's has a quick cutscene)

Interesting choice, but what would the rest of his moveset look like? He risks being a Captain Falcon Clone if you ask me...

Megaman - From Megaman Series
Medium weight and speed. Similar to how Kirby can copy powers, Megaman gains a weapon every time he KO's an opponent. Each weapon has limited energy and can only be used a few times before he loses it. KO'ing the same opponent again will refill his weapon energy.

That would be one special wasted upon classic mode enemies... I'd say he should be able to absorb someone's power, like in the cartoons, in addition to koing them for said energy. Alternatively, Megaman Volnutt or .exe would make lovely editions, particularly .exe. PROGRAM ADVANCE!

Waluigi - From Mario Series
A troll character. His attacks would behave differently than one would expect them to. Some attacks have awkward delays in their animation whereas others are much quicker than the lead up would suggest.

Considering he was built just to play in the Mario Sports Games, his movest could be based on them... maybe the Tennis Serve could be his Final Smash, since that's what his Asssist Trophy did in Brawl to be able to rack up the kills.

As I'm currently playing Kid Icarus: Uprising

.... I REMEMBER MAKING A THREAD ABOUT KID ICARUS UPRISING! I REMEMBER YOU NOT HAVING PLAYED IT AT THE TIME! I TOLD YOU YOU SHOULD HAVE PLAYED IT! IT'S AWESOME! *twitch twitch*

I find myself hoping to see at least a character or two from it.

Considering how Sakurai has so much pull over both series, I'd say chances aren't bad.

The big two being Palutena and Dark Pit.

Normally I wouldn't suggest a character like Dark Pit, but this game actually pulls him off as a different character, and he'd be perfect to use a variety of the different weapons Uprising gave Pit (perhaps as a stance-change character, alternating between weapons like the Pokémon Trainer alternates between Pokémon).

I could see it... alternatively, Dark Pit uses different weapons for different attacks. He's got the First Blade, the Dark Pit Staff, the EZ Cannon, the Violet Palm, the Ogre Club, and the Silver Bow. Pulling on them mid fight for certain moves, be they grabs, aerials, specials and such would be cool. Though no matter what, his Final Smash must be his Power of Flight: droping Arrows on people while flying around. Shoot up to launch a rain of arrows, or nail your target dirrectly with down, forward, or back shots.

And Palutena because she's just so damn fun as a character - and being a goddess, they'd have a heck of a lot of freedom in designing her play style and moves. (I'd like to see some more magic-users in general, honestly, since we only have Zelda and the Earthbound kids for that so far.)

Heh... the Power of Ninjary would be a very fun move. And the Palutena Glam Blaster would be epic. Plus, she could summon Centurions herself! But what happens to Pit's Final Smash?

Three Sacred Treasures?

... GREAT SACRED TREASURE!

WANT!

Alternately, Medusa or Hades as a villain addition would work, or perhaps even Viridi.

We don't actually see how strong Viridi really is, and the Reset Bomb is a bit odd for a Final Smash... though it would make an awesome item. Medusa would make an excellent Boss, though I don't see her making a decent character. Hades is too broken. :p

Personally, I'd like to see Magnus, with Club attacks from the various clubs for his other moves, and with some special attacks involving aid by Dark Lord Gaol, if she doesn't become an assist trophy. She could definitely be called upon to be his Final Smash...

Aside from that, there's a few I had been hoping to see in Brawl: namely Krystal (from Star Fox; her staff from Adventures is practically a ready-made moveset to begin with)

While I agree with this 100%, her costumes choices are... interesting, to say the least.

and Midna (from Zelda, of course; preferably in Imp form).

Psh, Midna alone? She'd be odd.

Wolf-Link with Midna riding him. That would be awesome. Link for most regulars, Midna for Specials and such. Her Final Smash: Obviously the Fused Shadows.

Edit: Oh, and Mega Man, of course. Get him into the same game as Mario and Sonic and my inner child will be squeeing with delight for years.

Are there any other idols as big as those 4, in terms of "my inner child's fantasies"? Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Snake.... 'tis a class of dreams.

I see I missed conversation while editing this big ass post.

As much as I'd love to continue this delightful chat now, I've got to get to sleep to get up for work at 5 am tomorrow... so I'll see you guys later.

Zevox
2012-09-13, 10:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you chain grab with Falco and Dedede a lot?
I did to an extent. I liked using Falco chain grab into dair spike kill off the edge sometimes, if only because it's one of the few really useful combos in the game. Dedede can't really do anything like that with his though, just build some damage.

But really, I've given the entire roster a try, and I don't think there's any character I'm not capable of using... then again, it's been a bit since I've really sat down and played. I enjoy playing whoever for fun and for seriousness, but when it's time to get down to business, Bandanachu (Green Headband Pikachu) comes to town to clean up!
I think when I last counted I played around 1/3 of the Brawl roster to some extent. There were still a number that I couldn't play to save my life (Captain Olimar or the Ice Climbers being good examples), but I liked alternating so as to keep fights fresh. After the three I mentioned earlier, I think I spent the most time with Ness, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, and Sonic - though Sonic was sadly mostly in vain. I was extremely happy to have him in the game, but damn if I don't have a hard time playing him effectively.

Other characters I played, going off memory: Mario, ROB, Lucario, Metaknight, Toon Link, Wolf, Ike, and Marth. There were a few others that I tried to learn, including Diddy Kong, Zelda, and Fox, but I never really got the hang of them.

I'll list nick names in the op post. Anything else I should add about each person? Prefered rule set or stage? Or should that be something we come up with as a group, be it by our own decisions or copy/pasted from a different smash rule set I know to be semi balanced (despite having banned Metaknight)?
Unless we run a tournament, I don't think that'll be necessary. For casual games I'd imagine just letting the computer decide between the rules set by each player as it automatically does ought to work.

.... I REMEMBER MAKING A THREAD ABOUT KID ICARUS UPRISING! I REMEMBER YOU NOT HAVING PLAYED IT AT THE TIME! I TOLD YOU YOU SHOULD HAVE PLAYED IT! IT'S AWESOME! *twitch twitch*
Yes it is, but I was playing other games at the time. And actually, I sort of got sidetracked in the middle of playing it, and only returned to it recently - I just got into the Ace Attorney series this year, you see, and wound up running through the whole thing after getting the second game for my birthday. Comedic courtroom drama is addictive as all hell, it turns out. :smallsmile:

So I had left off on about stage 18 or 19 when I did that hiatus, and have just started up again, and reached 21 or 22. I believe I only have a couple to go, if the list I saw on an FAQ once was accurate.

Considering how Sakurai has so much pull over both series, I'd say chances aren't bad.
Perhaps, but it is just one new game, and the roster is already quite large. We'll see what comes of the next game in due time though I suppose.

I could see it... alternatively, Dark Pit uses different weapons for different attacks. He's got the First Blade, the Dark Pit Staff, the EZ Cannon, the Violet Palm, the Ogre Club, and the Silver Bow. Pulling on them mid fight for certain moves, be they grabs, aerials, specials and such would be cool. Though no matter what, his Final Smash must be his Power of Flight: droping Arrows on people while flying around. Shoot up to launch a rain of arrows, or nail your target dirrectly with down, forward, or back shots.
Perhaps - that'd be easier on the developers, since the stance-change version basically means he gets multiple movesets. Either way, I figure he's the best way to get someone with those weapons into the game, since Pit's moveset is already set to using just his bow.

We don't actually see how strong Viridi really is, and the Reset Bomb is a bit odd for a Final Smash... though it would make an awesome item. Medusa would make an excellent Boss, though I don't see her making a decent character. Hades is too broken. :p
Bah, their in-universe power levels don't matter. They already made guys like Mewtwo and Ganondorf playable, who by rights should massacre most of the cast. Plus Mr. Game & Watch, on the opposite end of the power spectrum.

While I agree with this 100%, her costumes choices are... interesting, to say the least.
*shrugs* Her armor from Assault/Command is perfectly good. No need to go with the loincloth getup from Adventures, even if she uses her staff.

Psh, Midna alone? She'd be odd.
Which is half of why I want her like that :smallsmile: . Have her actually float a bit off the ground instead of walking, have really floaty jumps (kind of like the Earthbound kids), and use a lot of magic in her attacks. Ties in to what I said when mentioning Palutena - I want more playable magic-users in the Smash Brothers series. You'll notice that three of the four I mentioned as being my past hopes for Brawl qualify (albeit to only a small degree in Krystal's case, but hey, her staff shoots fire and ice and can cause small quakes, so it's there).

Wolf-Link with Midna riding him. That would be awesome. Link for most regulars, Midna for Specials and such. Her Final Smash: Obviously the Fused Shadows.
Eh, that I'd be less inclined towards. I'm not a big fan of Wolf-Link, and it'd decrease the focus on Midna's magic.

Are there any other idols as big as those 4, in terms of "my inner child's fantasies"? Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Snake.... 'tis a class of dreams.
Uh, Snake wouldn't be in that list for me. I've only played one of his games (MGS3), and that was just a few years ago. Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man though, are basically the entirety of what I remember playing on the NES and Genesis. Not that I actually only played them mind you, but practically all my memories of those systems come from those three series. So yeah, would be hard to fulfill my childhood dreams better than that.

Zevox

TheSummoner
2012-09-13, 10:28 PM

Sumnr is what I have it set to ATM. As for seconday characters... I used to use Link all the time. Was also pretty good with Ike. I switched to Wario about half a year ago when I realized there was a game room at my college (been there two years at that point and only then found out about it). They usally have Brawl set up in there to play between classes... And I decided to play like a troll one day, and Wario seemed like the best choice for it. I then got pretty good with him and stuck with it.

As for getting a game going... We certainly need atleast one regular time. I just suggested Monday evenings because it's one of the days that works well for me. Tuesday evenings also work. Wednesdays do not. Thursday mornings I'm good. Weekends I usually have something going but if it's later evening I might be able to pull it off.

If someone wants to get a few quick matches in sooner, though, I'm good at around 11am-1pm (US Central time) tomorrow if anyone wants to try then... Or even in about a half hour if anyone checks this before then and has nothing better to do tonight.

Edit:
..... I'd kill for Mario Kart in the Playground, too. But Brawl is so much more hype.

We could set that up some days too... But best to start with Brawl until we get a few more people interested.

No banned characters, that's idiotic.

At school, I usually play no items just because it's what the people there prefer. Personally I don't care, but I'd like to keep it all or nothing... Or nothing but smash balls. No picking and choosing and getting annoying with it.

Personally, I'd prefer Tiny over Dixie. More material for special attacks, from her Weapon to her Musical Instrument, and her ability to Shrink (for dodges). Plus, her Final Smash could have her call Funky Kong to the stage to get really big and deliver a pounding.

Tiny was just a cheap rip-off of Dixie anyways. Nah, Dixie is a classic character. Gotta be her.

Interesting choice, but what would the rest of his moveset look like? He risks being a Captain Falcon Clone if you ask me...

Jabs, uppercuts, punch combos. I dunno, I just love Punch-Out.

That would be one special wasted upon classic mode enemies... I'd say he should be able to absorb someone's power, like in the cartoons, in addition to koing them for said energy. Alternatively, Megaman Volnutt or .exe would make lovely editions, particularly .exe. PROGRAM ADVANCE!

Make the weapon change a taunt instead. Left and right taunt buttons so it can cycle both forward and back.

Considering he was built just to play in the Mario Sports Games, his movest could be based on them... maybe the Tennis Serve could be his Final Smash, since that's what his Asssist Trophy did in Brawl to be able to rack up the kills.

His final smash should be something involving a Bob-omb, I think. Some moves could involve sports equipment, but the general idea was to make him hard to predict. Like I said, a troll character.

Geno9999
2012-09-13, 10:45 PM
I would love to join in on this, but currently my Wii hasn't been re-setup ever since my family moved to the new house.

Main Characters: Toon Link, Mario, Wario, and Wolf. However, I often play as a random character for the lolz.

Stage Preference: ALL OF THEM.

Items?: All on, drop rate set to medium.

I remember back when Brawl was on the horizon of releases, I was making theoretical movesets for different characters. Now I wonder how close Krom (http://serenesforest.net/fe13/) is going to be like Ike. And if Marth is going to look like this (http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/dlc0419_img.jpg).

I hope that we have a wide range of Retro Stages like we did in Brawl, even better if was extended to stages from Melee and Original.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-14, 12:49 PM
I can actually get a random game on Mario Kart Wii, the SSBB online crowd seems to be sparse for those without friends.

I ghess my mains are Fox and Samus at the moment.

And I'm good from now (1 PM-ish) until 11 PM Central Time (GMT -6) every day.

Edit: Except on weekends. Then I probably sle past 1.

Zevox
2012-09-14, 02:59 PM
Okay, so, I took my game to a local rental store that I know has a device for cleaning CDs/DVDs, and had that done. But it resulted in an odd discoloration around the edges, and when I took it home, the system could no longer read the disk at all. I took it back to them, and they swapped it for one of theirs, which was in very good condition (they cleaned that in a different device briefly before giving it to me). I bring that home... and find myself having the same issue I had last night :smallfrown: .

Normally that'd lead me to believe the issue is with my Wii, but it runs other games fine, from the tests I tried. Both downloaded and disks.

Somehow though, I've got it working at the moment. Been going for over half an hour without a crash like I had yesterday. I've added everyone to my friends list, and tried to shake off the rust with some games against level 9 computers. So, I'm up for games whenever today - I have the day off work, and no special plans. Whether I'll be able to get the game working again in the future... well, that's an open question.

Oh, and I noticed while putting in those friend codes that I could change my account name, so I've switched that to Zevox. Make it easier on everyone to identify me.

Zevox

INoKnowNames
2012-09-14, 05:52 PM
I'll edit this post into a response to some of the things said before in a bit. Getting online now if anyone wants to Brawl, though I might have to duck out to get groceries some time.

TheSummoner
2012-09-14, 08:43 PM
Might also be a good idea to get a way to contact people that doesn't require them to check a forum thread... How bout Skype? Anyone here not use that?

Zevox
2012-09-14, 09:04 PM
Might also be a good idea to get a way to contact people that doesn't require them to check a forum thread... How bout Skype? Anyone here not use that?
Nope, never used that before. Don't use things like Twitter and Facebook either. As far as online communication goes, forums are pretty much my thing.

Anyway, good games guys. Lag was pretty bad with Jade Dragon though. Names' was inconsistent, but decent when it was at its best.

Jade, a tip: when playing ZSS, do not try to use her fsmash as a kill move. I saw you doing it whenever you got a stun on me, even at very high damage percentiles, and as you can see, it wasn't working. It is not a very good kill move - probably one of the worst fsmashes in the cast as far as knockback goes. For Zamus, you want her forward + B, bair, usmash, or close-to-the-ceiling uair for your kills, more or less in that order of preference. Well, or the follow-up to her down + B somersault, but that's difficult to land most of the time, being as telegraphed as it is by the somersault itself. Or if you're lucky, a dair or up + B hit while the enemy is right on/over a ledge can spike, but that's not easy.

Zevox

TheSummoner
2012-09-14, 09:16 PM
I don't use facebook or twitter either, I just thought being able to communicate through an instant messager might be useful for more spontaneous games.

Also, I'm good to go for a game now if anyone wants.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-14, 09:40 PM
I'm not on IM, AIM, Skype, or any of that.
Anyway, good games guys. Lag was pretty bad with Jade Dragon though. Names' was inconsistent, but decent when it was at its best.
Yeah, the Wi-Fi's not been so great since my parents canceled it before, then got it back from the same company, on the same modem, even when we later decided to go one speed higher (it went back to about what it was when had the lower speed before, but it's still either a bit slower or not as good at handling multiple people). Maybe some time when nobody else is on the computer.

Jade, a tip: when playing ZSS, do not try to use her fsmash as a kill move. I saw you doing it whenever you got a stun on me, even at very high damage percentiles, and as you can see, it wasn't working. It is not a very good kill move - probably one of the worst fsmashes in the cast as far as knockback goes. For Zamus, you want her forward + B, bair, usmash, or close-to-the-ceiling uair for your kills, more or less in that order of preference. Well, or the follow-up to her down + B somersault, but that's difficult to land most of the time, being as telegraphed as it is by the somersault itself. Or if you're lucky, a dair or up + B hit while the enemy is right on/over a ledge can spike, but that's not easy.

Zevox

I'll try the forward + B. The others all seem hard to get from standing directly in front of you.

Zevox
2012-09-14, 09:45 PM
I'll try the forward + B. The others all seem hard to get from standing directly in front of you.
Usmash should actually work in that position - it has more of a horizontal hitbox at the bottom than you'd think. Forward + B is the better kill move unless it's suffering from overuse, though.

Zevox

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-14, 09:47 PM
Usmash should actually work in that position - it has more of a horizontal hitbox at the bottom than you'd think. Forward + B is the better kill move unless it's suffering from overuse, though.

Zevox

I'm not really seeing how usmash has more power than fsmash. It's a multi-hit smash from one triggering, and those don't tend to have good KO potential IME.

Zevox
2012-09-14, 09:59 PM
I'm not really seeing how usmash has more power than fsmash. It's a multi-hit smash from one triggering, and those don't tend to have good KO potential IME.
The last hit of it has fairly good knockback, definitely more than her fsmash has. It is somewhat stage-dependant though, since it's upward knockback - the higher the ceiling, the harder it is to KO with it. It's great on stages like Corneria, not so good on stages like Bridge of Eldin.

The issue is that Zamus really doesn't have much in the way of truly good kill moves. She's not as bad in that respect as, say, Sonic, but she's down there. That's why knowing the few moves she has which can kill at decent damage rates is important.

Zevox

TheSummoner
2012-09-14, 10:30 PM
Just got done with a few matches against Names and Jade.

Jade, wow... Zevox wasn't kidding about your internet. And I thought mine was bad =/. If it's the same service you had before and it wasn't this bad before, I suggest calling your provider because something's seriously screwed up.

Names, good fights. Just one thing though... If you're gonna have a "I gotta go" taunt, be careful not to hit it unless you really have to go... That one match on the Yoshi's Island stage with you as Pikachu and me as Ike... You hit it, and I suicided to just end it quicker thinking you had to go... Then you kept fighting and I kinda figured things out (I think...). Not a big deal (I won that one anyways :smalltongue:) but try to be careful about that.

psilontech
2012-09-14, 10:40 PM
Played the hell out of Melee my freshman and sophomore years of college.

My main was Marth. Generally went with the white variant after an exasperated friend of mine swore that white Marth had a longer sword after I trounced him a few times. He doesn't, of course, but it became a bit of a Smash meme in my group for years to come.

Didn't care much at all for Brawl.

INoKnowNames
2012-09-14, 10:48 PM
Sorry for being so flat footed today. I had a friend come over -just- as I was getting started, and had to jet.

Also, -HATE- PRESSING THE WRONG TAUNT! I don't have my controller set up for it, so I just scared away Summoner just as our matches were getting good.... :smallsigh:

Yeah, Jade and I have some odd lad together.. Zevox and I are about mid... and me and Sumnnr barely have any at all.

I second the notion that Zero Suit Samus has to make good use of her Forward Special and Up Smash to get good kills on the ground. However, because those are her few killing moves, you really want to try to conserve them when you can. I'd stick to trying to wear your target down until you get reliably into killing range, then go for the down smash stun into kill move.

By the way, how was I doing, Summoner? I don't feel like I gave Zevox my full performance, and then I had to jet.... :smallfrown:

Just got done with a few matches against Names and Jade.

I'm up for more up to 1 more hour if you're still up for some. Though, I really should consider actually getting to sleep... Dang, gotta go... though, I enjoyed those matches a lot!

Jade, wow... Zevox wasn't kidding about your internet. And I thought mine was bad =/. If it's the same service you had before and it wasn't this bad before, I suggest calling your provider because something's seriously screwed up.

Should I list people's colors next to their name? It seems like the connection ratings are consistant...

Names, good fights. Just one thing though... If you're gonna have a "I gotta go" taunt, be careful not to hit it unless you really have to go... That one match on the Yoshi's Island stage with you as Pikachu and me as Ike... You hit it, and I suicided to just end it quicker thinking you had to go... Then you kept fighting and I kinda figured things out (I think...). Not a big deal (I won that one anyways :smalltongue:) but try to be careful about that.

I KNOW! WRONG TAUNT BUTTON! DARN IT, DEADPOOL!

Wait, wrong game.

But yeah, I know, I -hated- doing that. I so didn't mean it. I thought it was a different button for a bit...

Played the hell out of Melee my freshman and sophomore years of college.

My main was Marth. Generally went with the white variant after an exasperated friend of mine swore that white Marth had a longer sword after I trounced him a few times. He doesn't, of course, but it became a bit of a Smash meme in my group for years to come.

Didn't care much at all for Brawl.

My brother used White Marth.... I've developed an inborn dislike for him now.... Danged Marth.... :smallmad:

Zevox
2012-09-14, 10:54 PM
I don't feel like I gave Zevox my full performance, and then I had to jet.... :smallfrown:
Eh, don't worry about it. I wasn't exactly in peak condition in our matches either. Rusty from not playing for a couple years, like I said. I mean, you remember those couple of suicide deaths I had with King Dedede in our second fight, right? :smallredface:

Zevox

INoKnowNames
2012-09-14, 10:57 PM
Eh, don't worry about it. I wasn't exactly in peak condition in our matches either. Rusty from not playing for a couple years, like I said. I mean, you remember those couple of suicide deaths I had with King Dedede in our second fight, right? :smallredface:

Zevox

Nah, I mean I was outright distracted. Rust doesn't have anything to do with the blade so long as it can still kill, but the swordsman has to at least not be distracted... it involved a cup of noodles, a puppy, and a pillow, and I won't go into further details.

The suicides were funny. XD

I gotta unlock Lucario again! I miss being able to use him!

I'm surprised we had so many item matches, yet no Smash Balls...

I actually have a program for a chatroom kinda thing that requires nothing more than clicking a link, if we wanted to use it to immediately contact eachother for games...

Also, Tap-Smash is a stupid option and I'm never using it again. :smallmad:

Zevox
2012-09-15, 09:45 PM
Well, looks like I'll have consistent morning shifts at work this week, so in general, it'll be safe to assume that I'm available for games from about 5:00 EST on. If anyone wanted to play, just drop a message here, I check this forum all the time.

Zevox

danzibr
2012-09-16, 08:56 AM
I wasted hundreds of hours of my life on Melee. Used mostly Sheik with some Ganondorf. Well I played everyone. It mostly them. I did play a good bit of Brawl but didn't get too into it.

INoKnowNames
2012-09-28, 05:53 PM
Anyone still Brawling? I haven't seen people online in a while (though I haven't checked to ask the thread in a while, either). I'm taking Wednesdays off from work, to have at least one day not dirrectly tied to either work or school. If anyone else is free that day, weekly brawls would be fun for me...

Zevox
2012-09-28, 06:41 PM
No surprise you haven't seen anyone - with Brawl's online, it's not worth logging on randomly. You have to set something up in advance, such as with this thread.

I'm still up for games, but as I said, my work schedule won't allow me to commit to anything regular, since it changes weekly. I am ending up with mostly morning shifts lately, though, so I'm usually free in the evenings, including this Wednesday. Though ironically I'm saying that the day before I have three straight evening shifts.

Zevox

INoKnowNames
2012-09-28, 06:51 PM
No surprise you haven't seen anyone - with Brawl's online, it's not worth logging on randomly. You have to set something up in advance, such as with this thread.

That's the one thing I really dislike about Nintendo; they don't usually have decent online service for their games.

I'm still up for games, but as I said, my work schedule won't allow me to commit to anything regular, since it changes weekly. I am ending up with mostly morning shifts lately, though, so I'm usually free in the evenings, including this Wednesday. Though ironically I'm saying that the day before I have three straight evening shifts.

Zevox

Funny how that works. :smallwink:

Anyone else wanna get in on some serious matches this Wednesday, then? If not, I'll be sure to give Zevox a decent game this time!

I really do want to load up a nice chat channel in the op, requiring nothing more than picking a name and maybe changing your color (freaking tired of getting Pink!). That way, maybe we can run into each other more often, and possibly chat in between matches if we all have mobile connections to it.

TheSummoner
2012-09-28, 10:18 PM
Wednesdays are no good for me. It's my long school day. And I'll be starting up a new job pretty soon so I'm unsure what my days are gonna look like after that.

Have fun though. ^_^

Nepenthe
2012-09-30, 09:45 AM
Okay, so, I took my game to a local rental store that I know has a device for cleaning CDs/DVDs, and had that done. But it resulted in an odd discoloration around the edges, and when I took it home, the system could no longer read the disk at all. I took it back to them, and they swapped it for one of theirs, which was in very good condition (they cleaned that in a different device briefly before giving it to me). I bring that home... and find myself having the same issue I had last night :smallfrown: .

Normally that'd lead me to believe the issue is with my Wii, but it runs other games fine, from the tests I tried. Both downloaded and disks.

I know I'm jumping in late, but I know what's going on here. Short answer: it's your wii. Brawl was one of the first games to use a special, high-density disc. Unfortunately, these discs require much more precision from the laser to read properly. Even the slightest amount of dust on the lens will cause errors.

Also, this thread has inspired me to dust off my copy of Brawl. I'll have to see if any of my controlers still work though. I'll post my friend codes if I get things working, but I haven't played in years, and I never really got as good at Brawl as I was with Melee (actually, I was best with the original).

Geno9999
2012-09-30, 01:20 PM
So, I got my Wii hooked up and adjusted to the new TV, and decided to fire up Brawl to get some rust out of my system before posting friend codes.

Warm-up: Ganondorf (Me) vs. Meta Knight (Lvl. 9), 3 stock, No items, Final Destination.

I beat Meta Knight twice, though he kept me on my toes.

Afterward me and my little brother did Team Brawl, (Both of us on one team, other team was two lvl. 8s) with some memorable matches being Wario and Kirby vs.... Wario and Kirby.

Overall, I feel good.:smallcool: I'll post my friend code later today.

Xondoure
2012-10-01, 06:46 PM
I spent a good summer the year Brawl came out smashing people around.

Zelda, Marth, Pikachu, and Game&Watch were my go to guys, but I'd shake it up occasionally.

Unfortunatly my wii died in a tragic accident so I've only picked it up since occasionally at friends since.

Geno9999
2012-10-02, 10:56 AM
Friend Code: 2750-0824-5164
I'm good for most afternoons of Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and anytime on the Weekend.

Nepenthe
2012-10-03, 01:24 AM
Yeah... so "rusty" doesn't even begin to describe my current skill level. It just took me three tries to unlock Toon Link.:smallredface: I'm definitely going to need some more practice before I take on you guys.

Veridis Quo
2012-10-09, 06:09 PM
I play Brawl pretty frequently in my Residence Hall but the online is spotty at best so I don't think I'll be able to play via Wi-Fi.

Main Fighters (Brawl): Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, King Dedede, R.O.B, Captain Olimar, Young Link

I used to use Samus a lot in Melee but the differences between her in the two games is like night and day.

As for new character ideas, I have a new-ish character concept. Basically since young link is a different link in each of the games he showed up in the new young link is based around the link from Majora's Mask.

Young Link v3.0

Special Moves
Down+B - Change Mask (inpired by Pokemon Trainer)
Just like in Majora's Mask Young link is able to put on a different mask each time he uses this ability. In the order of [Young Link (default) --> Deku Link --> Zora Link --> Goron Link --> Young Link]

When link dies he will return as human link, but you can cycle through the different forms by holding down and pressing B multiple times "stacking" the masks until the one you want is reached. Transformation would grant invulnerability once it is initiated similar to Shiek/Zelda.

Each Link has different properties and attacks

Deku Link
Light Character

Up+B - Deku Flower: Deku link summons a flower and launches himself out the top. Once he reaches the peak of his launch he summons two flowers that act as helicopter propellers that will keep him airborne for a few more seconds. {Decent vertical recovery, has some horizontal recovery}

Neutral+B - Snot Bubble: On press, Deku link fires off a small green bubble horizontally. If B is held the size and speed of the bubble increases.
The larger the bubble is, the stronger the knockback will be.

Side+B - Spin Attack: Deku Link does a horizontal spin attack that carries him in the direction he is facing. {Can be used repeatedly}

Gameplay: The idea behind deku link is getting hits and getting out. Much like squirtle and Mr. G&W he can't take too many hits before getting knocked off the stage.

Zora Link
Medium Character

Up+B - Corkscrew Jump: Zora Link launches into a vertical leap and is surrounded a magical aura. {ok vertical, no horizontal movement}

Neutral+B - Fin Shield: Zora Link crouches and holds up one of his arms in front of him. He is also surrounded by magical aura. Stun locks enemies that are caught in the aura, negates projectile damage in the direction zora link is facing. {Shield loses power the longer it is used}

Side+B - Fin Boomerang: Zora link launches the fins from his arm. The direction of the fins can be controled on launch. If Side+B is held Zora link will enter his launching stance but the fins will not launch until the button is released.

Gameplay: While I did not describe Zora Link's 'A' button attacks, he fights using mostly close quarter moves and flips. Zora Link is all about keeping your enemies close and punishing them with good speed and defense. The fins act as a zoning tool as well as a way to punish players that try to keep their distance.

Goron Link
Heavy Character

Up+B - Goron ground pound: Goron Link curls into a ball and bounces into the air. He then comes crashing down to deal heavy damage. Has no horizontal movement and the vertical movement is poor.
{This move functions similar to Dedede's super jump. You can cancel the jump by pressing down}

Neutral+B - Goron roll: On hold Goron Link begins charging a roll attack. If the button is held long enough spikes sprout from his back.
Once the B button is released Goron Link rolls in the direction he was facing. The speed and knockback of his attack depends on how long the B button was depressed. If Goron Link has the spikes activated, his turning speed and damage is increased.

Side+B - Goron Blazing Fists: side+B is a 3 hit combo where each move is activated by pressing B in sequence. The first two hits are flaming jabs that are medium speed. The last hit is a hip check by Goron link that is slow.

Gameplay: Goron link is the slowest character out all the mask forms. His vertical jump is very short and his up+B doesn't do much to help. The goal of Goron Link is to rack up damage get kills. His high defense helps make up for his lack of mobility

Final Smash: Fierce Deity's Mask
-Young Link transfroms into the almighty fierce diety and gains incredible power, speed, and range. He is able to move around and slash his opponents doing massive damage. His smash moves and B attacks are replaced with energy waves that deal massive damage and have huge knockback.

Razanir
2012-10-11, 11:45 PM
Not up for multiplayer (long story, but the wii I play on isn't connected to internet), but I play Toon Link, if anyone cares. Zelda/Shiek and Pokémon Trainer are my alternates