PDA

View Full Version : Mul-ing the Options: Stats for A Half-Dwarf?

Palanan
2012-09-13, 01:57 PM
I'm running a campaign in the Forgotten Realms, and I'd like to make the half-human, half-dwarven muls an option for PCs. Trouble is, I'm not sure which stats to use.

Since muls are native to Athas, clearly a half-human/half-dwarf hybrid would have a very different background in the Forgotten Realms. They wouldn't be force-bred for the gladiatorial life, and would be so utterly rare that each mul would effectively be the only one of his kind--or perhaps not even aware of his parentage at all.

So, with this in mind, which stats should I use? I've found a +1 LA version on Athas.org, as part of a 3.5 conversion, and Dragon #319 has a different +1 LA version which is a little toned down. Are either of these considered the "official" version? If not, what would be?

Urpriest
2012-09-13, 03:10 PM
By definition neither is considered "official" since neither is first party. The Athas.org one I believe was created later, and those guys have a good reputation, so it's probably a bit better designed.

Edit: That said, Dark Sun races all start at a baseline LA +1. If you're making a softer, FR-dwelling Mul, you should probably take away a few racial traits and make it LA +0.

Palanan
2012-09-13, 04:00 PM
Okay, thanks. The Athas.org version did seem to have a lot more thought put into it.

And it's definitely bulked out with benefits. Would removing the darkvision and the nonlethal DR be enough to drop it to LA +0?