PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk

Anodai
2012-09-13, 05:45 PM
Has anyone played it? I'm going to be running a game for a group of newer players over the coming months and we I am starting them with this. The module recommends starting at level 8, but I am a bit concerned that, especially for newer players, this would be a little too challenging. Has anyone ran this from a higher starting point, or had trouble with starting at level 8?

I almost always write my own adventures and campaign settings, so I am rather unaccustomed to running a preconstructed adventures, especially one of this size. There are several consecutive plot arcs in the adventure that seem very tentatively linked. Is this normal? Did I just miss something? I can't imagine I would have any trouble inventing a more apparent connection, but if there is an intended one that I am missing, I might as well know about it at least.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Spoilers Possible

Alabenson
2012-09-13, 11:05 PM
Depending on the size and optimization level of the group, level 8 players should have no problem starting out the adventure. I ran through it with a group of six, and we massacred a number of encounters. That said, we also had two charger builds plus a God Wizard, so that may have been a contributing factor :smalltongue:.

A few things to point out:
1) The ability to neutralize invisibility/illusions can trivialize a number of otherwise difficult encounters.
2) If you have an artificer in your party, the stash of cursed items becomes much more valuable because they can be broken down into raw materials.
3) In general, there is alot of treasure to be found over the course of this adventure, including a few artifacts, so keep that in mind if you plan on running additional adventures with this group.
4) Related to the above, there are multiple instances where your players will encounter sets of spellbooks with, and I quote, "every spell in the Players Handbook". Needless to say, this will either be a major boost to any wizards in your party, or a major financial windfall for your group.
5) The entrance to the final encounter may as well have a "climatic battle through here" sign posted. My party spent several rounds buffing, and subsequently enjoyed one of the most one-sided victories I've ever seen.

Anodai
2012-09-14, 02:21 AM
Aside from the invisibility/illusory based battles, there are certainly a few that look pretty tough. Heck, the opening fight of the book looks like it could be kinda brutal as a first encounter at 8th level, considering my group is of inexperienced players.

The party so far is a Duskblade, a Rogue, a Wizard/Effigy Master, and 2 as of yet undecided characters that we're making today and tomorrow, but they won't be artificers, so that's not really much of a consideration (you might be able to guess they aren't exactly going the optimized route). The spellbooks and artifacts are pretty obviously a great find. I've always balanced encounters by ear rather than trying to match CR in the past, so I can't imagine the being a huge issue in the future.

You are totally right on the boss battles. The rooms for them are always huge arenas, its suitably trite.

Khedrac
2012-09-14, 03:52 AM
I have run this twice with mixed results.

The first time was with the higher-level better geared party. They trivialized most encounters, but had serious problems with the final boss battle Re the above, yes the doorway does have the "climactic battle" sign on it, but read the detailed description of how the door itself works (which actually causes the boss's tactics to be unworkable). My players got seriously worried during the fight - I as DM remembered one thing they forgot and knew what was really going on so I was confident they would win fairly comfortably, but the players did not know so they enjoyed it greatly.

The second group was less powerful and had a harder time with many fights, but an easier time with the final boss (I changed the door on the basis of the previous run). However when they met the encounter in the "broken pyramid" they ended up with the rogue unconscious and left behind and the healer and main tank dead while the other two ran. Admittedly the wizard forgot his teleport spell (he plays a remarkably ineffectual wizard) which should have saved more people. Going against the same encounter with planning for it they still had problems...

There are also some truly awful encounters in there - the marshal is totally useless - but go in without OP PCs and they should be OK (we used 28pt buy). Inexperience with the system will probably help make it more balanced for your players - ones who know the system backwards will be the ones who know the tricks to make everything too easy.

Anodai
2012-09-15, 01:25 AM
The second group was less powerful and had a harder time with many fights, but an easier time with the final boss (I changed the door on the basis of the previous run). However when they met the encounter in the "broken pyramid" they ended up with the rogue unconscious and left behind and the healer and main tank dead while the other two ran. Admittedly the wizard forgot his teleport spell (he plays a remarkably ineffectual wizard) which should have saved more people. Going against the same encounter with planning for it they still had problems...

Is this the fight with the arrow demons? That seemed like it could get dangerous.

What do you mean by the Marshall?

Khedrac
2012-09-15, 02:06 AM
Yes this was the fight with the arrow demons (I was trying not to give a spoiler).

The marshal should be taken out and shot - his build is almost totally useless. The best thing he does in the fight (where he has allies) is use his bow.
Let's see:
Chr 16 - OK for NPC stats
Magic Items - nothing on charisma - sell the bow and buy a decent cloak!
and his auras to be honest are pretty poor for the fight he is supposed to support.

Allanimal
2012-09-15, 03:40 AM
The marshal should be taken out and shot - his build is almost totally useless.

I have adjusted all of the named opponents and some of the mooks. A few were just minor tweaks, but Most have abysmal spell choices and feats. Some needed complete overhauls.

My 5 PCs started at 10th and are maybe 2/3 finished. It has been challenging, especially the broken pyramid fight. They completely curb-stompped some encounters, others like the broken pyramid were quite difficult & resulted in multiple PC deaths.

I think it would be hard for 8th level, Unless they are well optimized.

Finally, be sure to double check the ELs, I have found an error or two in there...

Anodai
2012-09-15, 03:42 AM
Yes this was the fight with the arrow demons (I was trying not to give a spoiler).

The marshal should be taken out and shot - his build is almost totally useless. The best thing he does in the fight (where he has allies) is use his bow.
Let's see:
Chr 16 - OK for NPC stats
Magic Items - nothing on charisma - sell the bow and buy a decent cloak!
and his auras to be honest are pretty poor for the fight he is supposed to support.

I mean, I have read the adventure, and I assume anyone else who went to this thread would know that they'd potentially see some spoilers. I edited my first post just in case.

Is Vayne the marshal? I can't recall who bears that title at the moment?

Allanimal
2012-09-15, 04:02 AM
Is Vayne the marshal? I can't recall who bears that title at the moment?

Baliak Trostian is the Marshall. He was in the encounter on p.137 of the book.

Anodai
2012-09-15, 01:03 PM
Baliak Trostian is the Marshall. He was in the encounter on p.137 of the book.

Ohhhh... Is he really supposed to be significant? There were no mentions of him before or after his encounter AFAIK. He's a little named underling there for flavor who probably will get taken out and shot.