PDA

View Full Version : Anthromorphic Dragon?

crimsonqueen
2012-09-13, 07:40 PM
Heres a question. How would one go about making a dragon that stood on two legs and could wield weapons like a human but built for its size?

Annos
2012-09-13, 07:44 PM
1st, True Dragons CAN do that. But whats the point? their nat. attacks are High damage, plus breath wep, Nat armour, casts spells as sorcerer, Plus dragon feats to INCREASE all of these. So, their is really no point. But, they can. also half-dragons that could weild wepeons can weild wepons.

crimsonqueen
2012-09-13, 07:58 PM
Its more for flavor I had an idea of a pair of rival knightly orders each lead by a Anthromorphic dragon of a particular type ^^

Coidzor
2012-09-13, 08:00 PM
Dragonkin.

Alternatively Dragonwrought Kobold.

Alternatively Homebrew Draconians/repurposed Dragonlance material.

crimsonqueen
2012-09-13, 08:05 PM
Dragonkin.

Alternatively Dragonwrought Kobold.

Alternatively Homebrew Draconians/repurposed Dragonlance material.

<.< >.> Errr I was thinking more like full sized adult dragons with more humanoid features.

The Glyphstone
2012-09-13, 08:10 PM
<.< >.> Errr I was thinking more like full sized adult dragons with more humanoid features.

...a Half-Dragon Ogre or Human or something, mix-and-matching from various features of his two heritages to get the exact visual mix you want?

'Full-size adult dragons' are going to be, at minimum, 16 feet tall.

Coidzor
2012-09-13, 08:10 PM

Might be a sliver of something in Dragons of Eberron. Otherwise it sounds like it's off to Homebrew territory.

crimsonqueen
2012-09-13, 08:15 PM
'Full-size adult dragons' are going to be, at minimum, 16 feet tall.

I know thats why I wanted it for fear factor I mean imagine the blade of a double sided sword that big coming right at your human face XD

Might be a sliver of something in Dragons of Eberron. Otherwise it sounds like it's off to Homebrew territory.

I was afraid of that lol.

Marnath
2012-09-13, 08:20 PM
1st, True Dragons CAN do that. But whats the point? their nat. attacks are High damage, plus breath wep, Nat armour, casts spells as sorcerer, Plus dragon feats to INCREASE all of these. So, their is really no point. But, they can. also half-dragons that could weild wepeons can weild wepons.

While it is true that dragons have thumbs, Draconomicon says they can't be used for tool use, writing or weapon use. Anything else you can do with hands, including using wands and doing somatic components for spells, they can do fine. The ability to carry things(or people) in their hands presupposes the ability to stand and walk on their hind feet. Otherwise, it would specify that they can only carry things while flying.

crimsonqueen
2012-09-13, 08:32 PM
While it is true that dragons have thumbs, Draconomicon says they can't be used for tool use, writing or weapon use. Anything else you can do with hands, including using wands and doing somatic components for spells, they can do fine. The ability to carry things(or people) in their hands presupposes the ability to stand and walk on their hind feet. Otherwise, it would specify that they can only carry things while flying.

Basically if I wanted I could alter that slightly to make it to where they could?

theUnearther
2012-09-13, 08:35 PM
Basically if I wanted I could alter that slightly to make it to where they could?
Pretty sure there is a feat somewhere that gives you hands that are as good as human hands. It may or may not take away your existing claws.
That could work if that's the only think you feel you are missing.

Urpriest
2012-09-13, 08:44 PM
If all you really want is weapon use, Dragons can use Mouthpick weapons (Lords of Madness).

crimsonqueen
2012-09-13, 09:01 PM
If all you really want is weapon use, Dragons can use Mouthpick weapons (Lords of Madness).

It would go against the image I had in my head though XD

Rallicus
2012-09-13, 09:08 PM
A Dragonborn with the Wings Aspect and a couple of enlarge person permanency spells on them?

I mean, if someone dispelled magic on them they'd be screwed, but is such a thing even possible to begin with?

Marnath
2012-09-13, 09:08 PM

Yeah, sure. I'd say they would get a lowered land speed on two feet though. I would suggest that the ones with a 60 land speed get 40 when walking on two legs, and 30 for the ones with only a 40 base land speed.

crimsonqueen
2012-09-13, 09:54 PM
Yeah, sure. I'd say they would get a lowered land speed on two feet though. I would suggest that the ones with a 60 land speed get 40 when walking on two legs, and 30 for the ones with only a 40 base land speed.

Works for me :)

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-13, 10:00 PM
Viletooth Lizardfolk (Dragon Magic) with the Dragon Wings feat?

EpsilRon
2012-09-13, 10:13 PM
Frost giant sorcerer in a whitedragon scaly suit?

TiaC
2012-09-13, 10:36 PM
Frost giant sorcerer in a whitedragon scaly suit?

Just make it a half-dragon half-giant.

The Glyphstone
2012-09-13, 10:49 PM
Pretty sure there is a feat somewhere that gives you hands that are as good as human hands. It may or may not take away your existing claws.
That could work if that's the only think you feel you are missing.

Not sure about a feat, but Savage Species has the item Gloves of Man, that fit over any appendages and transform them into normal humanoid hands. Wear those and you're all set.

TaiLiu
2012-09-13, 10:54 PM
A Dragonborn with the Wings Aspect and a couple of enlarge person permanency spells on them?

I mean, if someone dispelled magic on them they'd be screwed, but is such a thing even possible to begin with?

Well, Enlarge Person cannot be stacked.

Augmented Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm) could work.

The idea is sound, though: grab a large race and slap Dragonborn on it.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-13, 11:20 PM
What about a half-dragon Bluespawn Godslayer? You are a bidpedal dragon that is quite large and can fly. It doesn't have an LA, but you could see if your DM would make a monster class out of it.

Andezzar
2012-09-14, 02:40 AM
Probably too small, but how about a draconic human with Dragon Wings and Dragon Tail and at Level 6 Improved dragon wings? You could even use Enlarge person on him.

silverwolfer
2012-09-14, 03:05 AM
Takes 5 rangers of various colors, while multi classed in bard, to play an instrument that looks like a dagger to summon this..

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m82c6zNJor1r0j0yso4_1280.jpg

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-14, 06:43 AM
The Dragonzord actually only required the Green ranger....

Uhtred
2012-09-14, 07:05 AM
Isn't it possible (though reeking of cheese) to apply the Half-Dragon template to a true dragon? So you have a true dragon with all those stat-boosts, yadda yadda yadda. Rule that it also allows you to wield humanoid weapons. Congratulations, you've just made dragons ultra-scary, because you're the DM and can do whatever you want in your quest to terrify and viciously murder your players.

Waddacku
2012-09-14, 07:07 AM
I'd just change it to bipedal and give it hands. Maybe remove the claws, depending on your preferences. (That'd mean changing its space/reach, carrying capacity and stability. I think that's all that bipedal/quadrupedal affects)

Kholai
2012-09-14, 10:00 AM
You can just rework the Savage Species Anthropomorphic template, which was designed for just this sort of thing, and just include the functional parts:

All anthropomorphs have humanoid hands and arms.
Dragon trumps Monstrous Humanoid, so keep that in place and leave it with its original Hitdice.
It's quadrupedal, so its speed drops 10 feet if its above 30 ft.
It has wings and a tail, so it keeps them.
It keeps any swim speed, burrow speed or other change, as well as any subtypes.
If you want to ignore the rule about making them Large then it keeps its size, so no changes there to any other movement types or physical attributes, and its Natural AC stays the same.
It loses any abilities that correspond to a non-humanoid shape - rear leg claw attacks/rakes, and constrict attacks, none of which should be on a dragon anyway.
It already has sentient-level mental attributes so leave them as they are.

Templating in this manner probably ups the LA by +3 or so for a true adult dragon.

ShurikVch
2012-09-14, 12:03 PM
In the list of creatures which can be called an 'anthropomorphic dragon' is the athasian dragon king from Dragon #339.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F_bnTeHN-jY/S1m2XY62yVI/AAAAAAAAAGs/Xm3K9Nf-2cI/s1600/DragonKing.jpg
Unfortunately, it's [epic] PrC, prereq. 9 lvl spells and 6 lvl psionics.

Give him the Wu Jen spell Giant Size an you get the Dragonwrought Koboldzilla! :smallbiggrin:

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-15, 02:53 AM
Wow, that dragon king is badass.

Coidzor
2012-09-15, 12:21 PM
Isn't it possible (though reeking of cheese) to apply the Half-Dragon template to a true dragon? So you have a true dragon with all those stat-boosts, yadda yadda yadda. Rule that it also allows you to wield humanoid weapons. Congratulations, you've just made dragons ultra-scary, because you're the DM and can do whatever you want in your quest to terrify and viciously murder your players.

You mean the characters? Right? :smalleek: