PDA

View Full Version : Silent Image, Suggestion?

Adoendithas
2012-09-13, 07:56 PM
I was looking through a 3.0E PHB recently and wondered whether certain powers existed in 4E.

The free version of the Compendium says that Suggestion is a Level Free Wizard (?) power, which I'm interpreting as a Cantrip of some sort. Does it act just as in 3.0, maybe as an Encounter or Daily power? And what source is it from? The Compendium just says "Multiple Sources". Are they all Dragon?

It also says that Silent Image is a Level 1 Ritual from Dragon Magazine. Does it act as in 3.0? How far can the image move? I was looking for some nice generic Illusion rituals to give to an illusionist wizard NPC.

Thanks for your help!

Drglenn
2012-09-13, 08:05 PM
Suggestion is a encounter power cantrip that lets you use an arcana check in place of a bluff check. Not sure about silent image though.
In general don't expect 3.x stuff to work the same in 4e and even if it does priorities have changed so it may not seem as effective as it was even if it is the same

Ashdate
2012-09-13, 08:17 PM
The Suggestion power is a Level 1 Mage "Cantrip" Utility Power. I don't have a 3.0 PHB to compare it to, but Drglenn is correct that powers have (often) been radically changed between the former editions and 4e. The 3.5 version of the spell magically compels someone to do an action; the 4e version merely lets you substitute an Arcana check for a Diplomacy check.

the 3.5 and 4e versions of "Silent Image" are somewhat similar in effect, although they differ in execution. The 3.5 version can "affect" a larger area, and you can move it. The 4e version is simultaneously more restrictive, but open to a lot of interpretation. The ritual mentions nothing about "moving" the illusion, although there isn't anything to suggest you can't move the image.

Additionally, the 3.5 version offers a "Will" saving throw to disbelieve the illusion only once interacted with; the 4e version offers an Arcana or Perception skill check to recognize it as an illusion when sighted; any interaction with the illusion makes the trickery apparent, and causes it to be dispelled.

Adoendithas
2012-09-13, 08:18 PM
Thanks! And good point. I was just looking for some interesting utility powers and rituals, and the 3.0 ones seemed to be so useful. I can understand removing Explosive Runes, but Silent Image seems like it would be so helpful out of combat (especially with only a 10gp component cost).

EDIT: Crosspost! Thanks again! That sounds VERY interesting. I assume it has a 1 hour or 24 hour duration, or is it sustained? If it's sustained I might say that you can move it with the sustain action to your current location.

EDIT EDIT: Actually, it would make more sense if it was "until dispel". If nobody even sees it, what good is it doing, and why would it have to expire? That's how I'll implement it into my game. (It's actually 1 hour or until discharged, thanks)

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Wow, there actually are 4e explosive runes! I don't need to ask what it does--close burst 2 centered on object when read, +something vs. Reflex, medium-limited damage expression for levels 1-3. Now that's going to be fun!

Leolo
2012-09-16, 02:42 AM
It also says that Silent Image is a Level 1 Ritual from Dragon Magazine. Does it act as in 3.0? How far can the image move? I was looking for some nice generic Illusion rituals to give to an illusionist wizard NPC.

Thanks for your help!

There is the silent image ritual (illusory Object, Effect or Creature), Hallucinatory Terrain (20x20 fields terrain change), Hallucinatory Creature (programmable, can talk on limited basis), Leomund's Trap (illusory trap), Fool's Gold (duplicate gold up to a factor of 100x).

Also many classes have powers that can create illusions. Some of them can be used to create the illusion of a creature, like spectral image (wizard) or distracting illusion (assassin)

Adoendithas
2012-09-16, 07:58 AM
Spectral Image? I'll look that one up too. Thanks!