PDA

View Full Version : Point Initiators (3.5)?

Tvtyrant
2012-09-13, 08:32 PM
One thing I have never really liked about Tome of Battle is the inability to use the same ability twice in a row. So instead I have been thinking about using a point pool.

The mechanic (which I don't have a name for yet) would work by having a number of Points equal to class level + relevant stat modifier(charisma, intelligence or wisdom). A Maneuver would use a number of points equal to its level (so a 9th level manuever would take 9 points).

The small point pool works as a way to represent stamina, so you can use whatever abilities you want as long as you haven't used up your stamina.

The character's points would be refreshed by taking a 1 minute rest (recovering from the short but extreme exertion of the fight), or 1 full round action (if they take a feat, maybe called Deep Breath).

The Crusader would probably retain its normal system, since it has a holy theme already and thus some explanation for the weird mechanics, but the Warblade and the Swordsage would use the points.

Kyuu Himura
2012-09-14, 12:12 AM
Interesting, I don't see it as too overpowered. It would kill variability of tactics a little bit, but I guess something can be done about that.

I would say the pool should be equal to Class lvl + CON mod + [INT/WIS/CHA] mod, after all, it represents physical stamina and mental focus.

The-Mage-King
2012-09-14, 12:26 AM
I would say the pool should be equal to Class lvl + CON mod + [INT/WIS/CHA] mod, after all, it represents physical stamina and mental focus.

Indeed, I was going to suggest that.

Or Class+Con, with Int/Wis/Cha regenerated each round/2 rounds, maybe.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-14, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't mind combining con and wis/cha/int, except that is massively ups the amount of points you have. It basically makes it so that all of your maneuvers are at-will unless you are novaing like crazy (combining boosts and strikes on every turn).