PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Wand + Rod of Many Wands

Sponson
2012-09-13, 09:02 PM
As many of you can probably deduce from the title, I'd like to ask about how Rod of Many Wands (CmM) interacts with Eternal Wand (MIC), which does not use charges.

If I load my Rod of Many Wands with 3 Eternal Wands of Inflict Serious Wounds, can I still poke someone really hard with my trident of pain twice a day? It's not a prerequisite to use charges on a wand to use the Rod, only that it eats up additional charges.

I have a feeling my character is going to level up soon, and I'd like him to have a Rod of Many Wands, but I can't justify the Rod because of how much money it eats through wands.

tyckspoon
2012-09-13, 09:19 PM
RAW? No- despite the name, an Eternal Wand isn't actually a wand. It's a different kind of Wondrous Item in its own right, and the Rod of Many Wands will not accept it.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-13, 10:06 PM
If you're willing to do some custom item crafting it might fly.

If you spec your rod to have undifferentiated charges to burn off, it could use those. 50 undifferentiated charges could cost something like the rod's normal cost, plus 3X5X750=11,250 (Spell level X caster level X 750 based on a 3rd level spell, since that's the maximum for an eternal wand)

Call it a rod of many eternal wands. It burns as many charges from itself as it would from each of the wands and is still limited to activating the stored wands 2/day.