PDA

View Full Version : mind, body, spirit: perfected. (build help)

killianh
2012-09-13, 09:42 PM
I'm trying to piece together a psionics/meldshaper build and I was wondering about the best way to go about this. I'm fairly unfamiliar with the incarnum system, but I'm working on that part.

I was thinking talashora monk 1/psywarrior x/totemist x/soul manifester x (not sure the best way to spread it)

Any and all help on this build idea, melds to use or bind, good powers, feats, and ways to get around being MAD would all be helpful

I apologize in advance for posting one of those "do my build for me" posts and thank you in advance for any help offered. All books are allowed, but no 3rd party/homebrew/dragon mag. Online sources from WotC are ok so long as I have a link for the DM to check.

Eiko
2012-09-13, 09:58 PM
Have you considered Ardent instead? Still wisdom based manifesting, still 3/4 BaB (with the ammount of that in your build are you using Fractional BaB?), but much more friendly to multiclassing due to its power selection method.

By taking practiced manifester to up your ML by up to 4 (to a maximum of your HD), the ardent's limits on power level chosen are based on their ML not their class level. This means you can keep up with the levels of powers known, even if your PP will lag behind.

By choosing suitable mantles you can pick up appropriate physical powers, and I would suggest talking to your GM about the substitute powers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) alternate class feature to really get the feel you want from your powers.

I would suggest that the best soulmelds from Totemist are gaining a decent natural attack routine, and from there you can focus on mobility and utility from your ardent powers (I would personnaly suggest looking at the freedom, or time mantles for teleportation, extra movement and the like).

Keld Denar
2012-09-13, 10:11 PM
I think the best entry you can get is Monk2/Ardent1/Totemist2/SoulManifester10. Take Practiced Manifester for your 3rd level. Because of the order of leveling operations, you pick your class, pick your feats, pick your skills, THEN you pick your features (like Powers Known). Thus, you can start play as an X2/Ardent1 with a 2nd level power known. Whatever 2nd level power you learn, your other power should be Dim Hop from the Freedom mantle. Dim Hop is FREAKING AMAZING.

Monk2 gives you 3 bonus feats, one of which should be Monastic Training for Soul Manifester. Tashalatora comes at 6 (which doesn't make any difference because you don't get your first SM level till 6 anyway). Totemist2 is critical for the all important Totem bind.

One thing you can do is ABUSE Sun School. Its a...poor man's shadow pounce. You can bind Blink Shirt to your totem. This lets you blink as a move action, and you can Dim Hop as a swift action. Blink hit, standard attack, blink hit.

Otherwise, Monk1 can give Improved Grapple, and you can shape Giralon Arms and maybe later bind Kraken Mantle to your arms. This gives you MASSIVE grapple benefits

Sadly, Ardent is gonna have a rough time picking up all of the tasty 1st level powers you'll want. You NEED one 2nd level power at 3 to get into Soul Manifester. Inertial Armor would still be priceless to pick up because it stacks with your monklyness. Grip of Iron and Expansion would also be icing on the cake for the above mentioned grappler idea. There are a few others, but...yea, again, tough for Ardents. Inertial Armor and Expansion aren't even available on the default list of Mantles, so you'd have to participate in some DM related power swap bargaining.

killianh
2012-09-13, 10:13 PM
Ok, so what would be a good way to spread the levels out for the build?

killianh
2012-09-13, 10:28 PM
I'm liking the look of Monk2/Ardent1/Totemist2/SoulManifester10 but what should I do with the remaining 5 levels? I will be starting off at level 20 in the build

Keld Denar
2012-09-13, 10:41 PM
Probably either more Ardent, or possibly a psionic PrC. You aren't ever gonna unlock the highest tiers of Chakra binds naturally. You are best off trying to learn Psionic Open Chakra and using various methods to boost your ML high enough to pry open Waist and Shoulders with that, and you have no hope for Heart or Soul.

For psionic PrCs, Sanctified Mind is solid, as is Slayer. The gold standard would be a Psychokinetic Champion (psionic version of Abjurant Champion which has almost no concrete rules for it and requires some DM input).

Psyren
2012-09-13, 11:38 PM
What are you trying to get out of it? Some kind of gish I assume? Personally I think Soul Manifester is better used at making a skillful manifester, but you can go with a more bestial build if you wish.

Slayer or Sanctified Mind might be good ways to finish up. The attack bonus will help, though if you're relying on natural attacks you at least won't be behind on iteratives.

Be sure to get Multiattack and Imp. Multiattack, as well as Double Chakra on your totem.

EDIT: Forgot about Psychokinetic Champion, that would work great as well.

killianh
2012-09-14, 03:52 AM
I am looking for a gish-type build, but it doesn't necessarily need to be one. I'm focusing more on the concept more than anything, and trying to optimize it from there. The concept is a person that is trying to master mind, body, and spirit. For this I figured psionic (mind) tala monk (body) and incarnum (spirit) would do the trick. Really anything that fits the concept is welcome (without simple falling back on warblade)

Monk2/Ardent1/Totemist2/SoulManifester10/sanctified mind 5 looks like it might be a good fit for the build.

Any other pieces of advice?