PDA

View Full Version : Big Wii U Info Dump: Release Date, Price, Titles, and more. (Also, Bayonetta 2.)

Zevox
2012-09-13, 10:37 PM
So, at a big press event today Nintendo officially announced pretty much everything you'd want to know about the Wii U's upcoming release. So, a summary of the pertinent stuff:

Release Date: November 18th (NA), November 30th (EU, AUS), December 8th (JP).

Price: "Basic Set" for $300, "Deluxe Set" for $350. (US, I am not aware of prices elsewhere.)
- The Basic Set comes with an 8 GB hard drive, the Deluxe with a 32 GB one. The Deluxe also includes a copy of Nintendo Land, a mini-game collection themed after Nintendo franchises. The Deluxe version also comes with some kind of rewards program for purchased games called the "Deluxe Digital Promotion," which will earn you points that can be spent on Nintendo e-Shop titles. The Basic system will be colored white, the Deluxe black.

Games: the following were announced as "launch window" games (meaning they release somewhere between the launch date and next March). Specific day-1 titles were not announced. Day-1 titles have since been announced, and will be in bold in the list.

505 Games
Funky Barn

2K Sports
NBA 2K13

Activision
007 Legends
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
Skylanders Giants
Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts 2013
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing

Capcom
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

D3
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Ben 10: Omniverse
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade

Disney Interactive
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

Electronic Arts
Mass Effect 3
Madden NFL 13
EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13

Frozenbyte
Trine 2: Director’s Cut

Gaijin Games
Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Majesco Entertainment
Zumba Fitness Core

Maximum Games
Jett Tailfin

NAMCO BANDAI
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition
TANK! TANK! TANK!

Nintendo
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
SiNG PARTY
LEGO City: Undercover
Wii Fit U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101

SEGA
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Shin’en
Nano Assault Neo

Tecmo Koei
Warrior Orochi 3 Hyper

THQ
Darksiders II
Wheel of Fortune
JEOPARDY!

Two Tribes
Toki Tori 2

Ubisoft
Assassin’s Creed III
Just Dance 4
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
Rabbids Land
Sports Connection
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU
Rayman Legends

Warner Bros.
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Also, in a big surprise, it was announced that Bayonetta 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UIot0Otq7MA) is in development and will be a Wii U exclusive title. That one is kind of a shock. I haven't actually played Bayonetta in full, just the demo, so I'm not entirely sure whether I'm interested, but it is not the kind of game I would've expected to see as a Nintendo-system exclusive. Particularly given its predecessor was multiplatform on the 360 and PS3.

Other miscellaneous prices: the system's games will sell for $60 each, bringing them into synch with the 360 and PS3's (the Wii's sold for $50, for anyone not aware). The Pro Controller, the one that is basically the same as the 360/PS3's, will sell for $50. No price has been given for the tablet controller outside of Japan, but Japan's price apparently converts to about $173 US - though Japan's prices converted are usually higher than the US's actual prices, so expect the real one to be a fair bit lower than that.

So, thoughts anyone?

Myself, I'm not entirely sure when I want to get it. That I want to get it isn't in question - can't pass up those first-party Nintendo games - just when. As-is, I think the price is reasonable, all things considered, and the Deluxe version seems well worth the extra $50. The game lineup isn't bad for a launch window one either. My problem is that the only real must-have in there for me is Pikmin 3. There are others in there I'm sure I'd either buy or rent, but nothing especially stand-out (if only because I already have ME3 and Arkham City, anyway). Which leads me to lean towards waiting on my purchase until a few more big titles come out. But on the flip side, I don't exactly have a large number of new games coming out in the foreseeable future, what with only X-Com and Paper Mario Sticker Star being on my to-buy list for the entire rest of the year, so maybe the timing will be just right for me to jump in. Hard to say.

Zevox

boj0
2012-09-13, 10:47 PM
Bayonetta 2...Nintendo exclusive? My brain hurts now...

Antonok
2012-09-13, 11:02 PM
No zelda launch game?!?

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/11/30/419b2fb4-0916-4c69-a341-26f44218deac.jpg

Zevox
2012-09-13, 11:06 PM
No zelda launch game?!?

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/11/30/419b2fb4-0916-4c69-a341-26f44218deac.jpg
Considering Skyward Sword just came out less than a year ago, that's not a surprise at all. And they do have both a Mario game and Pikmin 3, so they've got some good first-party titles. Certainly a huge step up from the 3DS launch lineup, that's for sure.

Zevox

Antonok
2012-09-13, 11:21 PM
Considering Skyward Sword just came out less than a year ago, that's not a surprise at all. And they do have both a Mario game and Pikmin 3, so they've got some good first-party titles. Certainly a huge step up from the 3DS launch lineup, that's for sure.

Zevox

Thats true but still disappointing.

Pikmin could be good, but I lost all respect for Mario after the mario party games.

Don't really see any reason to get one yet, so I'll wait til they expand the library and fix any launch bugs the system has.

Zevox
2012-09-13, 11:23 PM
Pikmin could be good, but I lost all respect for Mario after the mario party games.
:smallconfused: But the Mario Party games were spin-offs, with no real connection to the main games besides using the same characters.

Zevox

Mando Knight
2012-09-13, 11:52 PM
And Mario Galaxy was legitimately good.

Chess435
2012-09-14, 12:23 AM
And Mario Galaxy was legitimately good awesome.

Fixed. :smallbiggrin:

Antonok
2012-09-14, 12:36 AM

Haven't played it. I stopped playing any mario game after Mario 64. Lost interest in the series after that, then when I tried a couple of the mario party games with a friend I haven't been able to pick up anything mario since.

Chess435
2012-09-14, 01:26 AM
Haven't played it. I stopped playing any mario game after Mario 64. Lost interest in the series after that, then when I tried a couple of the mario party games with a friend I haven't been able to pick up anything mario since.

I'd highly recommend that you give one of them a shot. Both games have some of the best cumulative review scores since Ocarina of Time.

OracleofWuffing
2012-09-14, 02:02 AM
:smallfrown: Man, it's like the Wii release all over again. I'm gonna like one or two games, and then go into "Wait until Smash Bros. gets released" mode. :smalltongue:

Has there been any word on how transferring your old Wiiware is going to work?

Zevox
2012-09-14, 02:11 AM
Has there been any word on how transferring your old Wiiware is going to work?
Not specifically, at least that I've seen. I've heard it'll be possible, but nothing more.

Edit: Okay, soTekken Tag Tournament 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jCJAOaPiz5M)'s Wii U version will have some additional features over the original. Which you should really see for yourself.

Zevox

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-14, 02:17 AM
I like mario, but he needs a vacation. And some new ideas.

Chess435
2012-09-14, 02:39 AM
Edit: Okay, soTekken Tag Tournament 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jCJAOaPiz5M)'s Wii U version will have some additional features over the original. Which you should really see for yourself.

Zevox

What.........

Psyren
2012-09-14, 08:41 AM
Pardon my french, but Platinum Games can **** off if they don't make B2 multiplatform. That's utter BS on their part.

This is really upsetting :smallmad:

Drascin
2012-09-14, 09:51 AM
They had me at "Monster Hunter Tri G in March, guys!", really. Everything else is just kind of a bonus.

Mario Galaxy was not only good, I'd put it as one of if not the best platformer I've played, and I've played a lot of them. It's not often a game produces such sheer glee in me while playing that I break into giggling.

Pardon my french, but Platinum Games can **** off if they don't make B2 multiplatform. That's utter BS on their part.

I think Nintendo actually helped finance the game's development, from what I hear. Given that, it's very much not surprising it's an exclusive.

Psyren
2012-09-14, 01:38 PM
Why did they need to though? The first one was pretty successful IIRC.

I think if Sega isn't totally bought out by Nintendo at this point, that they're considering it. Mario's already signing Sonic's checks as it is. End of an era and all that..

Chen
2012-09-14, 01:50 PM
Bayonetta 2...Nintendo exclusive? My brain hurts now...

This is my feeling too. Maybe Nintendo really wants to get away from that "wholesome family fun" image?

Still I'm surprised and disappointed. I liked Bayonetta but not enough to buy a stupid Wii U

Mando Knight
2012-09-14, 02:11 PM
Why did they need to though? The first one was pretty successful IIRC.

I think if Sega isn't totally bought out by Nintendo at this point, that they're considering it. Mario's already signing Sonic's checks as it is. End of an era and all that..

Sonic Generations and 4 Episode 2 weren't on Wii. But, yeah. Sega's rivalry with Nintendo pretty much ended March 30, 2001.

Madara
2012-09-14, 03:55 PM
I recommend Scribblenauts Unlimited. Somehow they made that game even more awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Dante & Vergil
2012-09-14, 06:57 PM
What kind of controllers does the WiiU utilize, aside from the tablet? Because if Bayonetta 2 is going to be on it and retain many of the first games mechanics (Witch Time most likely, along with maybe some others), I gotta know if the controllers are similar to the PS3/Xbox360.

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-14, 07:01 PM
This is my feeling too. Maybe Nintendo really wants to get away from that "wholesome family fun" image?

Maybe they realised its time to grow up? Not as in "Lets go to boobz and guts!" but realise that they can't just rely on old ips anymore.

Geno9999
2012-09-14, 07:14 PM
What kind of controllers does the WiiU utilize, aside from the tablet? Because if Bayonetta 2 is going to be on it and retain many of the first games mechanics (Witch Time most likely, along with maybe some others), I gotta know if the controllers are similar to the PS3/Xbox360.

I believe Wii Controllers and their accessories, so you can use the Classic Controller if you have it. And I think there's another Wii U controller coming out sometime that's essentially the tablet controller w/o the tablet screen... Which ends up being a Wireless Classic Controller Pro.

Zevox
2012-09-14, 09:10 PM
Besides the tablet it will also have the Pro Controller, which is basically the same as the PS3/360 controller, or the Classic Controller on the Wii. It's also fully compatible with Wii controllers and peripherals. It's not compatible with the Gamecube controller the way the Wii was, though.

From what I've seen, the system will not come with a Pro Controller, though, just a tablet, so if you want that, it'll have to be bought separately. If you have a Wii Classic Controller though, that should work just as well.

Zevox

Karoht
2012-09-14, 09:34 PM
I like mario, but he needs a vacation. And some new ideas.New ideas would be cool, though they did try some pretty cool (opinion) things in Mario Galaxy.
The Paper Mario games have all been pretty good.
I would love to see some kind of successor to Super Mario RPG.

Mario 2's format where you had multiple characters one could play (which were all different) was a decent format. I'm actually very surprised that it didn't really resurface in any way meaningful other than Paper Mario.

JoshL
2012-09-14, 09:37 PM
I'm in. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a Ninty fanboy, but not so much that I could ever imagine owning just one console. Still, anything that has an impending Mario and Zelda game, I'll be there. What I'm hoping is that RPG developers will realize how awesome it would be to have an inventory and/or map on the controller while the action is on the screen. RPGs have been Nintendo's weak spot, post-SNES.

Oh, and while I'm also not a fan of Mario Party, Tennis, Golf, Bocce, Competitive Basket Weaving, etc, the proper Mario games are all great. Platformers like no other, to be sure. Galaxy gets bonus points for anyone who read The Little Prince way too many times as a kid (and/or adult...)

Dumbledore lives
2012-09-14, 09:55 PM
Not specifically, at least that I've seen. I've heard it'll be possible, but nothing more.

Zevox

That is, well that is something unique.

I've been debating about buying a WiiU on launch day and have not yet figured it out one way or another. It will largely depend on the actual launch games, not the launch window because that is a ridiculously long time. In fact Nintendo's whole release of information has been pretty ridiculous for the WiiU, given we didn't know anything about price or release dates until just now, and even still don't know several things, such as what games will use a second tablet, and like I said the actual launch games.

A lot of the early games look good, and Nintendo's being much better about their third party support but what Nintendo really needs is a new IP, since it has been like 11 years since their last one, and it could really bring back some confidence as well as old fans. That and announcing a classic Nintendo title which is not a freaking Mario game. There have been like 5 new Mario games in the last 4 years, and they have been good, though the 2-D format is getting kind of tired.

A new Star Fox, or Metroid, or a good revival of a classic formula would be great, though a new IP would be even better. Any news on the next Smash Bros would be great as well because at this point we know nothing about it besides the fact that it exists. But yeah, I'll probably buy it, buy Christmas at the latest, because the potential for the system is so enormous.

wiimanclassic
2012-09-14, 10:51 PM

Ahem. Shut up. People bitching about this can ether get a Wii U and see it as a chance to try something new with other crap on and enjoy that Nintendo payed for them to get a sequel at all or shut up. God people bitching about this are annoying. Nintendo payed to have a sequel made, thank them that it will even exist.

OracleofWuffing
2012-09-15, 01:37 AM
A new Star Fox, or Metroid, or a good revival of a classic formula would be great, though a new IP would be even better.
My understanding of things is that the last Star Fox and Metroid games had a... Somewhat sour reaction from the vocal fans. Then again, if Link can come out on top after that whole cell shading bawling that happened so long ago, maybe those two have a chance.

Maryring
2012-09-15, 01:59 AM

Zevox

... O.o

I am now deeply conflicted if I should get a Wii U or not for TTT2, because on one hand I don't think I'll like the mushrooms all that much... but on the other hand it had... that.

Zevox
2012-09-15, 02:08 AM
... O.o

I am now deeply conflicted if I should get a Wii U or not for TTT2, because on one hand I don't think I'll like the mushrooms all that much... but on the other hand it had... that.
I'm sure the mushrooms will be their own mode, so I don't see how not liking them will matter much. Me though, I'm not sure about getting it because I'm not sure whether I'm interested in Tekken at all. Much as I've become a big fighting game fan the past couple of years, I haven't found that translates to 3D fighters. I've tried going back to the Soul Calibur games I have (2 and 4) since I got more into the genre, but didn't really find myself enjoying them. And watching TTT2 videos, it doesn't look like it does anything that'd make me like it more than the Soul Calibur games.

On the flip side, I like Street Fighter x Tekken, and found I liked the Tekken half of the cast there more by far, so there's at least some characters I'd be interested in from the get-go if I did get it. But I don't know how that'd translate, since SFxT is a 2D fighter.

Guess I should rent it some time to find out, but I'm already playing a lot of games in little free time just now, so that'll have to wait.

Zevox

Drascin
2012-09-15, 02:51 AM
My understanding of things is that the last Star Fox and Metroid games had a... Somewhat sour reaction from the vocal fans. Then again, if Link can come out on top after that whole cell shading bawling that happened so long ago, maybe those two have a chance.

The difference is that Wind Waker was an amazing, amazing game that some people bawww'ed about because they didn't like the artstyle but otherwise people liked, while the last Metroid was a genuinely terrrible game.

The Metroid series just needs a good game to redeem itself. Then people will simple forget about Other M except to laugh at it, the way CD-i Zeldas are, and keep going their merry way.

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-15, 03:42 AM
So apparently Bayoneta 2 is an exclusive was because nintendo essentially where the only ones who risked giving the game a shot.

So its not like they "Stole" the game. More like they helped it get off the ground.

If not for Nintedo the game would have never even been made.

Is it a bit selfish to horde it all to themselves? No. Nintendo is in a critical jam right now. It could either pull off an excellent comeback, or stumble and fall. It needs all the help it can get.

Xondoure
2012-09-15, 04:16 AM
So apparently Bayoneta 2 is an exclusive was because nintendo essentially where the only ones who risked giving the game a shot.

So its not like they "Stole" the game. More like they helped it get off the ground.

If not for Nintedo the game would have never even been made.

Is it a bit selfish to horde it all to themselves? No. Nintendo is in a critical jam right now. It could either pull off an excellent comeback, or stumble and fall. It needs all the help it can get.

Did I miss something since the last console war? They destroyed. Granted, the 360 and the PS3 have been gaining recently (after they jumped on the appeal not just to shooters bandwagon,) but they won't be releasing a new console for a good long while giving the Wii U an excellent head start.

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-15, 04:24 AM
They destroyed based on fleeting gimmick sales. Most people OWNED a Wii, but not allot of people PLAYED the Wii.

We also don't know how powerful the console and its competitors are. Plus allot of fans are pissed and need more incentive to but the WIIU

Xondoure
2012-09-15, 05:04 AM
They destroyed based on fleeting gimmick sales. Most people OWNED a Wii, but not allot of people PLAYED the Wii.

We also don't know how powerful the console and its competitors are. Plus allot of fans are pissed and need more incentive to but the WIIU

Ultimately, casual gamers buy less games, yes. But compared to the catastrophic hit Sony took from the PS3 I'd call the Wii a success.

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-15, 05:08 AM
True. But hopefuly they aim for a more gamer crowd (Not OMG LETZ SHOOTZ! But more adult and MATURE games. Mature as in Metroid Prime mature rather then God of War mature)

Essentialy listen to this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D13hBaMgA2I&feature=g-u-u).

deuterio12
2012-09-15, 07:13 AM
True. But hopefuly they aim for a more gamer crowd (Not OMG LETZ SHOOTZ! But more adult and MATURE games. Mature as in Metroid Prime mature rather then God of War mature)

Essentialy listen to this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D13hBaMgA2I&feature=g-u-u).

I believe that video is a perfect example that the majority of people "complaining" about Nintendo are actually Xbox/PS players jealous of Nintendo's sucess.

Before: Oh noes Nintendo suckorz because it doesn't have "mature" games!!!
Now: Oh noes Nintendo suckorz because it has "mature" games!!!

It's kinda irrelevant what Nintendo does really, those people will complain either way.

For myself, it's nice to see Nintendo expanding its library, as long as they keep publishing their Mario/Zelda/Metroid stuff, which was what drawn me to them in the first place and made me stick to them. I may get Bayonneta 2 if I can spare the cash, not exactly swimming in money.

Also it's somewhat funny neither the console or games hav actually been released and so many people already seem to have stone opinions about it.

Drascin
2012-09-15, 07:41 AM

To Nintendo this is all the same. Keep in mind - they were the only ones selling their hardware at a considerable profit. If people who wouldn't have bought a console otherwise bought a Wii and only two other games? That's still a noticeable profit to Nintendo.

Microsoft and Sony were selling their consoles at a loss, and thus needed to sell a lot of software to compensate. Nintendo was already making money if they only thing you ever bought was a Wii and Wii Fit. So basically - they didn't so much win as see the game, decide it was not worth it, and play another, more lucrative game entirely.

TechnOkami
2012-09-15, 08:06 AM

That... that was beautiful. I really liked that video.

Um, anyways, onto the WII U.

I'm sad that there won't be a Zelda title, but I understand why there isn't one yet.

As for Bayonetta.... eh, I would have preferred it on the PS3, but you know what? Now I have a title I'm legitimately interested in for the WII U, and thus incentive to buy it (eventually).

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-15, 08:27 AM
That... that was beautiful. I really liked that video.

Then watch the rest of them. He is an AMAZING critic. He over-exaggerates mistakes, and sometimes treats his opposition as close minded fools (When it comes to Metroid Prime VS Metroid Other M) but generally his reviews are both funny and informative.

To Nintendo this is all the same. Keep in mind - they were the only ones selling their hardware at a considerable profit. If people who wouldn't have bought a console otherwise bought a Wii and only two other games? That's still a noticeable profit to Nintendo.

This is quite understandable. Unlike other companies, Nintendo has its eggs all in one basket, that if it shatters crashes them as well.

They can't afford to take as many risks.

All That I ask for is that they develop a platform that would allow for more third party support.

Just give me good nintendo games, good AAA support and they should do fine unless Sony and Microsoft release "Omega Console-Supreme" that upstages nintendo really badly.

Maryring
2012-09-16, 04:55 PM
I'm sure the mushrooms will be their own mode, so I don't see how not liking them will matter much. Me though, I'm not sure about getting it because I'm not sure whether I'm interested in Tekken at all. Much as I've become a big fighting game fan the past couple of years, I haven't found that translates to 3D fighters. I've tried going back to the Soul Calibur games I have (2 and 4) since I got more into the genre, but didn't really find myself enjoying them. And watching TTT2 videos, it doesn't look like it does anything that'd make me like it more than the Soul Calibur games.

On the flip side, I like Street Fighter x Tekken, and found I liked the Tekken half of the cast there more by far, so there's at least some characters I'd be interested in from the get-go if I did get it. But I don't know how that'd translate, since SFxT is a 2D fighter.

Guess I should rent it some time to find out, but I'm already playing a lot of games in little free time just now, so that'll have to wait.

Zevox
It was meant in a more joking manner, as in "that is so silly, I must on principle not approve of the game". It would be incredibly silly of them to force us to play with the mushroom mode. Since I enjoy fighting games, and the last good fighting game I heard about from a Nintendo console was SC II, I'll be having it in mind as a potential game.

I'm curious why you do not like games where you can move in all directions though. In Tekken, I feel it doesn't matter that much. Any movement that isn't straight towards your opponent is way too slow. But in SC, they do it well, where the 8-way run is actually a feasible way to dodge attacks.

Dublock
2012-09-16, 05:11 PM
*had looked for a good quote but failed to find one so might be starting a new convo about the Wii U*

Nintendo needs good 3rd party support. They had a fair amount of 3rd party support for the system, but how many of those games were decent? Good? Great? So, few more so if you compared to the amount of just bad games that came out for the Wii.

If Nintendo can bring in the support that is half as good as MS or Sony, then they can very well get a big enough jump on both of them in the year (based on them releasing for the 2013 holiday season), that is Nintendo's to lose.

The line up window looks like a decent start for Nintendo at least.

Oh and I won't be purchasing one due to the following reasons:

1) I am a poor college student, Nintendo couldn't do anything for this

2) Lack of "Must have games" at release

3) Lack of good 3rd party support based on the Wii.

Now, I would love Nintendo to prove me wrong, but I don't see enough reason to beg for the money needed to get it.

Zevox
2012-09-16, 05:52 PM
Well, apparently the actual day-1 launch titles have been revealed (http://www.examiner.com/article/21-wii-u-games-listed-as-launch-day-titles-on-nintendo-com). The list is:

Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
ESPN Sports Connection
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Madden NFL 13
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
NBA 2K13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Rayman Legends
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Transformers Prime
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU

Predictably, most of the ports of PS3/360 titles hit immediately. Good news is New Super Mario Bros. U is in there, as is ZombiU, which seems to have attracted some attention from fans of its genres (horror, shooter), and Epic Mickey 2. Bad news is that Pikmin 3 is not in there. Hopefully it'll release quickly thereafter, because Nintendo really needs a strong first-party title to sell the system, and considering they've released several New Super Mario Bros. titles on the Wii and (3)DS in the last couple of years, I don't know if another of those will do it alone.

I'll update the first post with this information.

Since I enjoy fighting games, and the last good fighting game I heard about from a Nintendo console was SC II, I'll be having it in mind as a potential game.
Yeah, Nintendo hasn't exactly gotten many fighting games on their systems in quite a long time. They did have Tatsunoko vs Capcom on the Wii though, which by all accounts was pretty good (haven't played it myself). Kind of undercut by most non-Japanese audiences having limited familiarity at best with Tatsunoko characters, though.

I'm curious why you do not like games where you can move in all directions though. In Tekken, I feel it doesn't matter that much. Any movement that isn't straight towards your opponent is way too slow. But in SC, they do it well, where the 8-way run is actually a feasible way to dodge attacks.
I wish I could explain it myself. I can explain my tastes in 2D fighting games, but 3D ones just seem to put me off, when I've tried them in the past couple years. I guess maybe I just don't understand them in full, since my education on fighting games has taken place entirely in 2D ones, principally in BlazBlue and Marvel vs Capcom 3. There are certainly elements of 2D fighters that are just absent in Soul Calibur - jumping is almost never done, so things like jump-ins, cross-ups, or air combos just don't exist, for example, which is a huge difference. Maybe I need to try learning the different way 3D fighters are played in a modern one, with people still playing online and discussing on current FGC sites.

Then again, maybe it wouldn't be worth it. I already have plenty of fighting games I very much enjoy, more than I can keep up with: Persona 4 Arena, BlazBlue, MvC3, Skullgirls, SFxT. At some point there'll be an XBLA release of Guilty Gear which I intend to try too, since I've loved ArcSys' work so far and everyone who says anything about it has a high opinion of Guilty Gear. I don't know how worthwhile it is for me to keep trying every fighting game that comes out at this point, no matter how much I enjoy them.

Zevox

Androgeus
2012-09-16, 06:34 PM
Hmm I wonder if my video game taste are weird, the only game Wii U exclusive I care about is Lego City Undercover

Maryring
2012-09-17, 12:05 PM
*snip list*

Mmm. I agree for the most part, but you shouldn't underestimate Scribblenauts. I'm thinking that game'll push some sales as well.

Yeah, Nintendo hasn't exactly gotten many fighting games on their systems in quite a long time. They did have Tatsunoko vs Capcom on the Wii though, which by all accounts was pretty good (haven't played it myself). Kind of undercut by most non-Japanese audiences having limited familiarity at best with Tatsunoko characters, though.
I don't think that game ever even made itself available in Norway. If so I haven't managed to see it at least. A real pity as I might perhaps maybe given it a shot, despite not having any real relationship with Tatsunoko. I'm fond of all sorts of fighters. Brawl and Melee were the reasons for me getting Wii and GC.

I wish I could explain it myself. I can explain my tastes in 2D fighting games, but 3D ones just seem to put me off, when I've tried them in the past couple years. I guess maybe I just don't understand them in full, since my education on fighting games has taken place entirely in 2D ones, principally in BlazBlue and Marvel vs Capcom 3. There are certainly elements of 2D fighters that are just absent in Soul Calibur - jumping is almost never done, so things like jump-ins, cross-ups, or air combos just don't exist, for example, which is a huge difference. Maybe I need to try learning the different way 3D fighters are played in a modern one, with people still playing online and discussing on current FGC sites.

Then again, maybe it wouldn't be worth it. I already have plenty of fighting games I very much enjoy, more than I can keep up with: Persona 4 Arena, BlazBlue, MvC3, Skullgirls, SFxT. At some point there'll be an XBLA release of Guilty Gear which I intend to try too, since I've loved ArcSys' work so far and everyone who says anything about it has a high opinion of Guilty Gear. I don't know how worthwhile it is for me to keep trying every fighting game that comes out at this point, no matter how much I enjoy them.

Zevox
I think I understand. It is a bit like how I personally don't enjoy 2D fighters all that much. Jumping and air-games should be left for Smash Bros. Elsewhere I don't find them to be that fun (though of course I've always despised all sorts of Infinite Combos) and prefer the sidesteps and backsteps offered by 3D games. Of course, the argument is all about preferences anyway. You certainly have a much bigger collection of fighter games than I do anyway. :smallsmile:

Xondoure
2012-09-17, 02:09 PM
Mmm. I agree for the most part, but you shouldn't underestimate Scribblenauts. I'm thinking that game'll push some sales as well.

I don't think that game ever even made itself available in Norway. If so I haven't managed to see it at least. A real pity as I might perhaps maybe given it a shot, despite not having any real relationship with Tatsunoko. I'm fond of all sorts of fighters. Brawl and Melee were the reasons for me getting Wii and GC.

I think I understand. It is a bit like how I personally don't enjoy 2D fighters all that much. Jumping and air-games should be left for Smash Bros. Elsewhere I don't find them to be that fun (though of course I've always despised all sorts of Infinite Combos) and prefer the sidesteps and backsteps offered by 3D games. Of course, the argument is all about preferences anyway. You certainly have a much bigger collection of fighter games than I do anyway. :smallsmile:

2D fighters focus more on breaking your opponents guard and combos. Odd how an action game becomes quite chess like.

Zevox
2012-09-17, 04:14 PM
Perhaps. Honestly, I found myself a bit disappointed with the first one - I enjoyed it at first, but eventually it sank in that in spite of all the things it let me create, there were really only a small handful of things I could actually do with them. And the controls regarding placement of or moving items were pretty clunky at times. I haven't tried the second because I just didn't have that much interest after that let-down.

Hm, well, Wikipedia says that it got an EU release, so it should have been available in Norway I'd assume. Though perhaps there's some complications with releases in different parts of Europe that I'm unaware of.

2D fighters focus more on breaking your opponents guard and combos. Odd how an action game becomes quite chess like.
As opposed to what being more the focus in 3D fighters, may I ask?

Zevox

Xondoure
2012-09-17, 08:20 PM
Perhaps. Honestly, I found myself a bit disappointed with the first one - I enjoyed it at first, but eventually it sank in that in spite of all the things it let me create, there were really only a small handful of things I could actually do with them. And the controls regarding placement of or moving items were pretty clunky at times. I haven't tried the second because I just didn't have that much interest after that let-down.

Hm, well, Wikipedia says that it got an EU release, so it should have been available in Norway I'd assume. Though perhaps there's some complications with releases in different parts of Europe that I'm unaware of.

As opposed to what being more the focus in 3D fighters, may I ask?

Zevox

Well the same, I suppose. Mostly I just meant that not worrying about the positioning of your attacks can actually make the game more tactical.