PDA

View Full Version : Moving Cure X Wounds Back to Necromancy

Jeff the Green
2012-09-14, 03:33 AM
Would there be any untoward effects of changing Conjuration (healing) spells Necromancy (healing) and any reference to Conjuration (healing) to Necromancy (healing)?

Ravens_cry
2012-09-14, 03:45 AM
Would there be any untoward effects of changing Conjuration (healing) spells Necromancy (healing) and any reference to Conjuration (healing) to Necromancy (healing)?
Not any off the top of my head. I rather like the idea myself. From a mechanical perspective, it is quite a minor change.

sonofzeal
2012-09-14, 04:21 AM
Nothing major. There's a few tricks involving using Conj(Healing) spells to trigger effect tied to the more general Conj type, like "Cloudy Conjuration". Switching it would close these, but potentially open their analogues up on the other side. I doubt any of it will break your game though.

nedz
2012-09-14, 04:33 AM
It would work fine, after all Necromancy is where these spells lived for 25 years.

There is always the option of placing the spells in both schools; either as the same spell or as different spells with the same effect.

MysticMind
2012-09-14, 05:03 AM
It wouldn't break your game, but necromancy is already a really powerfull school.
Cure spells have to do with conjuration since they ''summon'' positive energy from another plane of existence. Necromancy spells harness the power of death, which means that necromancy is the school of the negative aspects of the universe.

Scots Dragon
2012-09-14, 05:08 AM
The whole 'necromancy is already a powerful school' aspect kind of falls apart when you consider that conjuration is, with or without healing spells, the single most powerful school ever. Necromancy isn't even in the top three.

Reluctance
2012-09-14, 06:35 AM
That, and divine casters don't have specialized/banned schools, which makes the difference even more academic. It'd only affect school-specific boosts, of which there aren't that many to horribly unbalance things.

metabolicjosh
2012-09-14, 07:55 AM
Every gnome shadowcraft mage just died a little....

Socratov
2012-09-14, 08:17 AM
Every gnome shadowcraft mage just died a little....

"what do you mean you just healed me? I don't believe it!"
"Haha! you just fell into my trap, now I heal you even more"
"haha, you fell into MY trap! I'm your dying ally"

:smallconfused::smallamused::smallbiggrin:

phlidwsn
2012-09-14, 08:50 AM
You'd need to patch the Warforged healing limits to to Necromancy(healing) rather than Conj(Healing) as well.

Deepbluediver
2012-09-14, 08:58 AM
Cure spells have to do with conjuration since they ''summon'' positive energy from another plane of existence. Necromancy spells harness the power of death, which means that necromancy is the school of the negative aspects of the universe.
I don't think it's explicitely stated anywhere just what the functional mechanics of the Cure Wounds spells are. You could just as easily say that you are generating positive energy, and therefor they belong in the Evocation school (except, of course, for the fact that WotC put them in Conjuration).

@Jeff
I had a thread where I asked pretty much the same thing when I was working on my magic fix. I put a qualifier on the Cure Wounds spells that they where part of the Healing subschool, under the premise that Necromancy was "life and death magic".

What I like about it is that it ties in well with a clerics existing mastery of the undead and control of positive and negative energy.

Also, this may be more controversial, but I decided to expand on the dual-school theme that popped up in a few of the splatbooks, so I made spells like Regenerate Transmutation/Necromancy. IMO, either type of magic would fit better than Conjuration, which seems to imply that you are summoning a replacement arm from some other plane of existence.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-14, 09:12 AM
Nothing major. There's a few tricks involving using Conj(Healing) spells to trigger effect tied to the more general Conj type, like "Cloudy Conjuration". Switching it would close these, but potentially open their analogues up on the other side. I doubt any of it will break your game though.

Why would you want to sicken someone you just healed?:smallconfused:
I guess you could select it if you healed someone who is still threatened by an enemy and the cloud could serve as minor defence...

ericgrau
2012-09-14, 12:34 PM
You'd get more attack clerics using spell focus(necromancy) to harm both living foes and undead... which might not be a bad thing.

Urpriest
2012-09-14, 12:37 PM
Also, this may be more controversial, but I decided to expand on the dual-school theme that popped up in a few of the splatbooks, so I made spells like Regenerate Transmutation/Necromancy. IMO, either type of magic would fit better than Conjuration, which seems to imply that you are summoning a replacement arm from some other plane of existence.

I agree with the rest, but I'd like to point out that Conjuration contains lots of spells that create objects from thin air, not just from other planes. It's what the whole Conjuration(creation) subschool is for.

Eldest
2012-09-14, 12:43 PM
Why would you want to sicken someone you just healed?:smallconfused:
I guess you could select it if you healed someone who is still threatened by an enemy and the cloud could serve as minor defence...

Throw it on a cure minor wounds, use it on a enemy. They either save and don't get healed, or don't save and get sickened. End result: Sicken an enemy for a 0th level slot.

NM020110
2012-09-14, 12:50 PM
The biggest change that I can see from this is that the change would allow dread necromancers access to the healing spells. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Urpriest
2012-09-14, 12:55 PM
The biggest change that I can see from this is that the change would allow dread necromancers access to the healing spells. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Actually, it won't, since they still won't be Sorc/Wiz.

Are there domains that boost necromancy CL?

Deepbluediver
2012-09-14, 01:06 PM
I agree with the rest, but I'd like to point out that Conjuration contains lots of spells that create objects from thin air, not just from other planes. It's what the whole Conjuration(creation) subschool is for.

Ok, point to you. I still think that a spell like Regenerate has more in commons with Transmutation and maybe Necromancy than it does with Conjuration.
I could concievably think of it as a Transmutation/Conjuration spell, but that would be for my own fix, and is probably outside the scope of this thread.

NM020110
2012-09-14, 02:30 PM
Hmmm...I thought it was any necromancy spell...

<checks book>

<snip>The spell must be a cleric or wizard spell of the necromancy school, and be<snip>

It seems that I was wrong about it being any necromancy spell, but it would appear that the Dread Necromancer could still get it.

alchemyprime
2012-09-14, 02:38 PM
I moved it to Necromancy (Healing), and the Dread Necromancers rarely went for it.

One did though. He'd go around, healing his party members, and he'd say it was "an investment".

When the Dwarf died, he kept the skeleton because he'd "kept it running for so long, it was his debt."

Madara
2012-09-14, 03:49 PM
Are there domains that boost necromancy CL?

The Necromancy Domain from EbCs. Otherwise I don't think so. There's stuff to boost the one's with [Evil] Tags.