PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard issue

Lentrax
2012-09-14, 03:53 AM
I have a problem.

When I awoke, I went downstaris to my computer to find my keyboard full of water. The PC does not acknowledge its existence, and I am having to type this on my phone.

Will I be able to salvage the keyboard? Does anyone know if I can dry it out and still use it?

Brother Oni
2012-09-14, 04:40 AM
When you say 'the PC does not acknowledge its existence', I assume it's either a wireless or a USB keyboard?

If it was an old PS2 keyboard, I'd say definitely salvagable. A wireless or a USB one is a bit more iffy and a programmable one like a G15 is probably fried.

Assuming it's just water and not some other fluid, you can try cleaning it up:
pop the keys off (unless you have a spare, take a picture of your keyboard first so you know where they all go afterwards), taking care with the spring/wire mounting for the space bar.
Take the case off (screws should be on the underside), mop up all the visible water, then leave to dry for a day or so before re-assembling.

In all honesty, if it's a cheap keyboard, it's more time efficient to buy a new one, unless you're really desparate, broke or have lots of free time.

The Succubus
2012-09-14, 07:10 AM
I'm also having keyboard trouble. Whenever I try to type something on the screen all I get is a series of musical notes.

I am a horrible, horrible person =P

Lentrax
2012-09-14, 11:14 AM
That's just a new feature, Succubus.

Hope you can read music. :smallbiggrin: