PDA

View Full Version : My PC can't restart.

Fri
2012-09-14, 10:37 AM
Okay, for a very long time, my PC can't shut down or restart directly. If I want to restart or shut down my PC, I have to log off, and shut it down from the whaddya call it, the log in screen or something.

I've decided to accept it as a fact of life for long, until now. So my antivirus updated itself, and it ask for a restart. But of course, even if I say yes, my pc won't restart.

But when I restart using my usual way, by logging off first, it has no effect. My antivirus still ask for a restart.

Anyone know what's wrong or what can I do?

Brother Oni
2012-09-14, 01:44 PM
It sounds like something's fundamentally broken in the startup and recovery part of your OS, which may need a repair installation or a complete re-install.

Before we go that far, could you give us some more info?

What version of windows are you running?
What antivirus are you using?
Does your account have administrator privileges?

Antonok
2012-09-14, 01:47 PM
I've also seen this problem when certain video cards are installed on the PC. Notably older versions of AGP and PCI cards.

(Clarification: When both cards are installed at the same time.)

Starbuck_II
2012-09-14, 01:47 PM
Accordingto this:
http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2008/10/troubleshooting-windows-wont-shutdown-or-restart/

Is there a task manager issue?

On idea: Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel and look through the system and application logs for any errors, warnings, or other messages which might point to the source of the problem. If you find any such messages, post their complete and exact contents for us please.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-wont-restart-or-shutdown-232323.html

On a side note:
I have a weird error, you know how when you hold down alt and press F, the special Find command comes up?
Well, every once in a while all my letters become commands and I have to restart to type anything.
Makes GMing Pbp games difficult when typing something and have to go back and start over.

Fri
2012-09-15, 01:13 AM
oh yeah I forgot to mention. I'm running windows xp

nedz
2012-09-15, 11:01 AM
It sounds like you have some application or service running which won't shut down properly.

To find it:

Kick off a shutdown
Open Task Manager
Terminate each process in turn, waiting a minute or so between each.

One of two things should happen

End Process will fail for one of the the processes
After ending a particular process the PC will complete the shut down

Either way you will have found the errant process. Now you just have to work out what's wrong with it.

Alternatively
Logging off and doing a cold re-boot should give you the same result as a warm restart.