PDA

View Full Version : Fail film clips and the definition of "Fail"

Traab
2012-09-14, 11:57 AM
Ok, I recently found a site that has an extensive collection of fail compilations. Something like 9-12 minutes each of short clips combined. One for every month going back several years. The problem I have is, they include stuff that, imo, doesnt belong. To me a "fail" is when some schmuck tries to pull off a stunt and messes it up. A skateboarder getting nut shot trying to ride a rail, or a guy trying to do a backflip and landing on his head, that sort of thing. There are other things that work, but in general thats what I think of first. This collection keeps randomly including stuff like, some random pedestrian being hit by a &^% BUS! Neither side was doing anything crazy, I think the guy just wasnt paying attention and walked into the street. BUT HE GOT HIT BY A BUS! Or some guy running a red light and hitting a trolley car, causing a 12 car pileup with massive damage all around, including I think, a few pedestrians getting caught in the middle. If I want to see stufff like helicopter crashes and car wrecks, I will look for compilations of THOSE videos thanks.

I can give the car crashes a pass though, when its done in a funny way, or there is evidence of a schmuck behind the wheel. Like some guy who thought he was awesome doing doughnuts loses control of his car and manages to flip it on its side into a wall. Or some idiot standing on his kawasaki doing tricks being flipped off because he hit a pothole. But some guy running a red light and getting hit by a freaking train is NOT a fail, its a horror show. Yeah he was an idiot, but thats a bit much.

razark
2012-09-14, 12:39 PM
fail:
1. To be unsuccessful.
2. Not to achieve a particular stated goal.
3. To neglect.
4. To cease to operate correctly.

some guy running a red light and getting hit by a freaking train is NOT a fail
1. I'd classify getting hit by a train as unsuccessful, unless he was trying to get hit by a train.
2. Trying to beat the train being his goal, he failed at it.
3. He neglected the red light. As in "Failure to stop..." which is what the traffic ticket would be marked as.
4. He ran a red light and got hit by a train. I'd say his thinking skills ceased to operate correctly.

However, "fail" is one of those words, like "troll", "hack", or "literally" that has lost its meaning, and can now be applied to anything the user wishes.

Traab
2012-09-14, 12:53 PM
Yeah thanks raz, I know the dictionary definition of the word, I am talking about the definition generally used in internet memes, demotivational posters, and youtube clip collections. And ok, maybe the guy getting nailed by a train IS a fail, if a bit more violent than I think is generally acceptable, but most of the others I would argue arent.

razark
2012-09-14, 01:10 PM
the definition generally used
That's the problem right there. When anyone can use the word to mean anything they want, it means nothing.

Karoht
2012-09-14, 07:22 PM
Yeah thanks raz, I know the dictionary definition of the word, I am talking about the definition generally used in internet memes, demotivational posters, and youtube clip collections. And ok, maybe the guy getting nailed by a train IS a fail, if a bit more violent than I think is generally acceptable, but most of the others I would argue arent.
I think the meme version typically means to fail at life.
Guy running a red light is failing at life.

Look up the song "at least I don't suck at life"
It's the song that goes through my head every time I see a fail meme.

Tebryn
2012-09-14, 07:31 PM

This is where the problem is. Not even a problem. You don't find it funny because it crosses a line for you. Oh well.

Winter_Wolf
2012-09-15, 08:25 AM
This is where the problem is. Not even a problem. You don't find it funny because it crosses a line for you. Oh well.

I don't find a guy running a red light and getting run over by a train funny, either, but I do consider it just. Yeah I said it, and I stand by it. I would even go so far as to say the guy deserved it. Traffic regulations are there for people's protection--not some people, but all people--and failure to grasp that concept is too common. Dummy ran a red light, and what if he'd smeared an innocent car and killed the people inside instead of losing a game of chicken with a train?

Also I do consider that a "fail" moment: failure to understand that Mr. Important wasn't the center of the universe, failure to obey a traffic signal, failure to consider that in a collision train > car. Always.

Karoht
2012-09-17, 05:23 PM
I don't find a guy running a red light and getting run over by a train funny, either, but I do consider it just. Yeah I said it, and I stand by it. I would even go so far as to say the guy deserved it. Traffic regulations are there for people's protection--not some people, but all people--and failure to grasp that concept is too common. Dummy ran a red light, and what if he'd smeared an innocent car and killed the people inside instead of losing a game of chicken with a train?

Also I do consider that a "fail" moment: failure to understand that Mr. Important wasn't the center of the universe, failure to obey a traffic signal, failure to consider that in a collision train > car. Always.

I love the people who fail to obey speed limits, get caught, get fined for it, then complain. And they never slow down after that, so they get caught again.
What makes it a real laugh is they complain how it's a cash grab by the cops. To which I usually tell them to stop giving the police money. Drive properly, spite them good.
They usually don't get why I'm holding back laughter while I'm saying it.

"At least I don't suck at life..."

KillianHawkeye
2012-09-22, 07:36 AM
That's what he gets for bringing a car to a train fight. :smallamused:

Tebryn
2012-09-22, 04:05 PM
I don't find a guy running a red light and getting run over by a train funny, either, but I do consider it just.

It also crosses a line for you. That's fair and understandable. I find it hysterical when someone gets what they deserve. Especially if it removes them from the human gene pool. Cruel maybe, but the betterment of the species is more important than looking like a heartless monster.

Yeah I said it, and I stand by it. I would even go so far as to say the guy deserved it. Traffic regulations are there for people's protection--not some people, but all people--and failure to grasp that concept is too common. Dummy ran a red light, and what if he'd smeared an innocent car and killed the people inside instead of losing a game of chicken with a train?

Couldn't agree more really.

missmvicious
2012-09-22, 07:26 PM
I think I'd agree with this rant if the videos were called funny instead of fail. I hate when someone shows me a gif of like some innocent pedestrian getting hit by some idiot trying to out run the cops like its funny.