PDA

View Full Version : Tier 3 and lower game advice

Sir_Chivalry
2012-09-14, 03:39 PM
Okay, so I've always wanted to eliminate the tier 1 and 2 classes from a game, and I finally did it for one I'm running, but I need to know, are there any holes in the class list I allow?

Barbarian
Bard (Divine Bards are half the world's primary divine casters)
Beguiler
Binder (without access to the summon monster vestige)
CA Ninja
Crusader
Dread Necromancer
Duskblade
Factotum
Fighter (and Dungeoncrasher Variant)
This Healer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums...ight=retooled+healer)
Hexblade
Knight
Marshal
Monk
OA Samurai
Paladin
Psychic Warrior
Ranger (and Wildshape Varient Ranger)
Rogue
Rokugan Courtesan
Scout
Shugenja (the other half of the divine casters)
Soulknife
Spellthief
Swashbuckler
Swordsage
Warblade
Warlock
Warmage

Tvtyrant
2012-09-14, 03:47 PM
The Samurai and Monk are the low end of that list, and the Dread Necromancer is the high end (I put it above Beguiler because of your out-of-combat options).

The two low ends don't really have a lot they can do to stay relevant, since their damage is cruddy and they have no out of combat options. If one of your players picks one of them, you might find it difficult to retain their relevance. Other than those two though, every other class on here is good enough at something that they will probably do alright.

Person_Man
2012-09-14, 07:01 PM
In games where the DM has "white listed" classes, my personal preference has been for Tier 3 only. In the land of the blind, a man with one eye is king. Tier 3 would still greatly outweigh Tier 4 and lower classes in a variety of ways. So I personally would include:

Bard
Beguiler
Binder (without online vestiges)
Crusader
Dread Necromancer
Duskblade
Factotum
Incarnate (without Share Soulmelds)
Psychic Warrior
Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)
Wildshape Ranger (without Wild Shape altering feasts)
Spellthief
Swordsage
Totemist (without Share Soulmelds)
Warblade
Tier 3 homebrew (I have lots)
Tier 3 Pathfinder classes
Tier 4//Tier 5 gestalt. For example, Healer//Knight, Samurai//Rogue, etc.

gorfnab
2012-09-14, 08:33 PM
Nightstalker - Dragonlance: Races of Ansalon (page 153)
Mystic Ranger - Dragon Magazine #336

Psyren
2012-09-14, 08:47 PM
I would add Psychic Rogue as an option too, since you have Psywar. Otherwise, fine list.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-09-14, 09:27 PM
You missed all the Incarnum (Totemist, Incarnate, Soulborn) and Psionic (Psychic Rogue, Divine Mind, Ardent, Lurk) options (not that you're missing much on the latter). You're also missing the Dragon Shaman, Dragonfire Adept, Shadowcaster, Truenamer, CW Samurai, and the NPC classes (though I would argue you're only going to care about the Adept and maybe the Expert, and only if your players enjoy Hard Mode).

Psyren
2012-09-15, 10:02 AM
Eww, Divine Mind and Lurk :smallfrown:

Yeah I missed that he left out Incarnum, but Ardent is too powerful for this list imo.

Shpadoinkle
2012-09-15, 10:12 AM
Dragon Shaman and Dragonfire Adept jump out at me as being missing, but that's mostly because they're two of my favorite classes.