PDA

View Full Version : DND with Creed IC

Creed
2012-09-14, 03:47 PM
WATERDEEP

The streets bustle with people of all races and backgrounds, peddling wares from far off lands. The aroma of salt water blows through the streets from the docks to the west, but often mingles with the strong scent of roast meat and spilt drink, and the occasional thick, iron note of blood.

For one reason or another, you have arrived in this city of boats, blood, and beer. You find yourself in the guard post that houses the 21st Regiment, which deals in particular with gang activity throughout the city. The old, gruff man before you is Captain Marcus Drathalon, who contacted each of you personally, promising "rewards beyond measure".

He speaks up, "You are all surely curious of why you are here," the Captain says, after a long pause, passing his eyes over each of you, as he paces around the marble room centered around an oaken table, "I have a problem. One that cannot be solved by men in uniform. I need people who can get a job done. Can I count on each of you?"

Midboss
2012-09-14, 05:14 PM
Right now, it was Jen who was present at the meeting. She was the one who handled the dangerous business and therefore more suited for this meeting. Her sister had agreed to that but only requested that she let her know what the job was before they made a decision. Mai kept saying that money tended to make Jen do stupid things.

Okay, so there was that time with the trolls... Jeez, Mai was never going to let her live this one down.

"Could we have a few more details on that problem, and the proposed payment ? The invitation was a bit vague on that one."

RedshirtNPC
2012-09-14, 05:33 PM
The Dragonborn was silent and staying wary of the strangers around him. Levistus was reluctant to answer the Captains summons but was curious as to why a military man needed outside help that would be 'immeasurably' paid for. Could this involve this Halaster’s Call he's heard word about?

Though if he knew this would be a group mission beforehand, he would've stayed at his barstool.

Irish Musician
2012-09-14, 05:33 PM
Hestia Proudhammer (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiG9eoGDA), Warden of the Mountain
Hestia looked around the room........the oddest assortment of beings she had ever laid eyes on, but whatever paid the bills. She may be a noble Warden for her Mountain, but she is still a dwarf, and does love her treasure. After the Genasi spoke, Hestia piped up as well, not being one to hold anything back, "Aye, ye haven't exactly been tellin' us what it is ye need us ta do. Whatcha have in mind there Cap?"

incandescent
2012-09-14, 06:41 PM
The part of his life spent as a prey beast has left Saram with a permanent but faint feeling of being watched, hunted. This effect is amplified in the company of these armed strangers. He opens his mouth to speak, but as the captain's eyes pass over him, his mouth snaps shut and he issues a curt nod instead, hiding vocally as well as physically in his human skin.

Creed
2012-09-15, 08:45 AM
The captain takes a thick, leather-bound book from a nearby shelf. Tossing it onto the table.
"The trouble started about 6 month ago. Everything quieted down. All the Thieves Guilds and gangs throughout the city, poof. Gone overnight. Ratskulls, Bloody Buccaneers, even the Cult of Orcus suddenly vanished off the map. We couldn't figure out why."
The captain then opens the book, revealing an ornate piece of inkwork that is in the shape of an open hand.
"The Black Hand. That's what they call themselves. These men are not mere criminals. They are... are... terrorists. Murderers, demonologists, the worst kind of scum in the world. They drove every other gang out of the city, almost overnight. Then they set up shop. They took over the docks, put a man in every alley and every tavern. And then people started to go missing. In short, this needs to be solved. And every men I've sent off to handle this have gone home in a box."

incandescent
2012-09-15, 10:12 AM
Apparently this world harbors more than mundane evils. Saram's competition sparring and archery haven't left him with a practiced hand at killing, but he's sure he can apply his talents here. He needs the trust of at least some people in this dull reflection of his world so he can search it in peace. He speaks in a soft voice

Where do you suggest we strike at this black hand? Surely not all of those eyes and ears in the taverns can be as important as the minds behind this evil.

Midboss
2012-09-15, 01:42 PM
So, it was a sordid investigation into some mysterious group. Must be something pretty dangerous for the whole town to be worried like that. Would be something challenging, and probably well payed considering the threat. She liked it. She was all for. The hard part would being convincing Mai. She waited for the answer to the question just asked.

Creed
2012-09-15, 08:24 PM
The captain looks uneasy.
"We believe that The Black Hand has a base of operations within the city, where their leadership meets and does business. If a band of adventurers were to, say, eliminate those leaders, no doubt the rest of the organization would shatter like a pane of glass."

RedshirtNPC
2012-09-15, 10:21 PM
"Sounds easy enough...now let's talk compensation.", Levistus treated this as any other job. Get the info, know the payment, leave. His stern and strong voice was something that kept strangers on edge, just as he liked it. Being a massive dragon creature affiliated with dark arts helped with that.

Irish Musician
2012-09-16, 12:28 AM
Hestia Proudhammer (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiG9eoGDA), Warden of the Mountain
"Well, these men be soundin' fairly bad...I reckon tha thing ta do would be ta take 'em out for ye. But like Scales said here, what ye be thinkin' of payin' us, then?" Hestia ended with a wry smile. She, like any other dwarf, was business oriented and liked to get business, if there was any, out of the way before pleasure. And certainly, like any other dwarf, she loved beating the snot out of "bad guys." Granted, they weren't threatening her Mountain, but not many things had of late, and her hammer was growing restless......

incandescent
2012-09-16, 06:04 AM
A singular focus. Their eyes on the prize. Just Like other predators. And here Saram was alongside them, planar refugee reduced to hired thug.*

But, they were right. One has to eat and maintain himself with currency regardless of his situation. Saram stood with the mercenaries and awaited a response.

Creed
2012-09-16, 04:20 PM
The guard captain crosses his arms.
"We are discussing a criminal organization that has effectively taken control of the city for the last five or six months. Their base of operations most likely houses more that I, or my employer, could ever hope to offer you. Drive The Black Hand from my city, and everything those scum own is, in my eyes, yours."

Midboss
2012-09-16, 04:57 PM
So, no precise payment promises. That was always a bad sign. What you found was yours to keep. In effect, he was trying to get them to work for free from their point of view. But it did hold some promise. If they owned some properties... The downside was that she really didn't look forwards to explaining that one to Mai. Oh well, time to use her negotiation skills to salvage at least something out of that. Haggling time:

"I see. I am of course assuming the town will be providing hospitality for us while we perform this duty. We will need somewhere to stay and eat while we search for this elusive group."

incandescent
2012-09-16, 05:37 PM
Saram considers this new information internally.

So, even the defenders of this burrow are outnumbered... Who's to say the one before me is not himself part of the hunt.

Then, he speaks aloud, nodding towards the genasi.

I agree. If we are to be lawbringers, we'll need at least some support from the whole town.

(edit for cleanup and clarification)

Creed
2012-09-16, 09:27 PM
"But of course. There is a tavern not far off, a place called the Silver Steer. The guard will foot the cost of room and board while you conduct your mission, or course."

Midboss
2012-09-17, 09:05 AM
"I think I can work with this." answered Jen. "You have me and my sister's services. I'll just have to let her know. So, where do we begin ?"

Binks
2012-09-17, 09:20 AM
Gween remains silent, eyes shut, listening but not speaking as the assignment and compensation are discussed. Truth be told, she could be paying more attention but the noise and hum of such a large city is distracting to the young empath.

Gween opens her eyes after the guard speaks again and nods slightly before speaking. "Such people cannot be permitted to operate with impunity. I'm in." she says simply, smiling at the guard and her new companions.

incandescent
2012-09-17, 02:08 PM
Saram notices the others coalescing around the goal and asks one final question.

Do you have any more knowledge on the Black Hand, captain? Has the guard found where they nest?

Creed
2012-09-17, 02:59 PM
"We do not know where the Black Hand hides out, however, we believe we have found a man who does. A bard named Mikael Riverwood. He happens to be playing in an engagement at the Silver Steer this evening, if you'd like to contact him, but there are other options as well."

RedshirtNPC
2012-09-17, 11:23 PM
Levistus rose from his seat.

"I've heard all I needed."

His armor glowed a soft white as it changed into a dark purple cloak and commoner's garb with a hood that he grabbed and hid under as he approached the door.

Creed
2012-09-17, 11:32 PM
"Does that mean you'll take the job, or are you just going to let this city fall apart around our ears?" The captain shouts after the dragonborn.

incandescent
2012-09-18, 12:15 AM
Snap judgements echo in Saram's mind about the dragonborn. He'd learned to pay attention to his instinct a century ago.

Too eager. Too impatient. Seeking to lead this wayward group through force like all pack predators or stalk like a solitary one. Too early to tell. Maybe I should follow, but I would prefer to know the name of this would be alpha.

Perhaps we can come back later if this first lead doesn't set us on a trail.

Though if we split, I intend to follow whichever group has the most eyes facing outward.

Midboss
2012-09-18, 07:51 AM
"If we're doing that, I'll need to get settled up first. My sister will probably be joining you for this one." answered Jen.

Irish Musician
2012-09-18, 08:25 AM
Hestia watches the dragonborn walk off, Well, I guess he is ready!. She then unclips her hammer from her belt, stands up, and picks up her shield, "Aye, if that lead fails we will be comin' back to ask some more questions. Let's go check 'im out." With that, Hestia turns around and starts to follow the Dragonborn out, where she assumes he is going.....to the Silver Steer.

Binks
2012-09-18, 08:45 AM
"We're on the case captain." Gween says with a friendly smile towards the gentleman before following the others out to head to the tavern.

incandescent
2012-09-18, 11:13 AM
I see which way the wind is blowing.

Saram bows slightly toward the captain and follows the dwarf, hoping she knows where this "Silver Steer" is in this confusing town.

RedshirtNPC
2012-09-18, 01:12 PM
"It means I couldn't give a sordid damn about your city, but be here when I uproot this organization like a dead weed."

Creed
2012-09-19, 08:36 PM
The Silver Steed is exactly what one would expect from a bar in Waterdeep. The drink flows freely, down throats and over the rough hewn floorboards. Even in the middle of the day, the place is crowded with bodies seeking solace from the streets outside, looking to waste away the day with a pint of strong drink and letting the band's music take them away from the squalid city.
The band, however, seems to not be obliging. Several of the bards are at the bar, quaffing flagons of ales, while another, a young, black-haired man, sits on the edge of the stage and tunes his lute.

RedshirtNPC
2012-09-20, 12:21 AM
As the Dragonborn entered the stinking pool of inebriation, he realized that finding the bard amongst the crowd might be tricky. Luckily, he was a fan of the straightforward method.

Levistus approached the flute-tuner sitting on the stage and growled his menacing inquiry, "Riverwood, where is he?"

Irish Musician
2012-09-20, 08:18 AM
Hestia walks into the bar, and lets a smile creep across her face. She walks up to the bartender, watching the Dragonborn go straight to business, and flips him a gold coin. "A drink o' your strongest ale, sir. Also, do ye know where I can be findin' Riverwood? I would be lovin' to hear a song by 'im, maybe to talk to 'im for a bit." She may be short, but from the look of her, the bartender might want to think twice before making a "short" joke.

Irish Musician
2012-09-20, 08:27 AM
Bump for error

Binks
2012-09-20, 08:39 AM
Gween enters the tavern with a smile on her face. Seeing how two of her companions beat her there and seem to already have the search for the bard well under control the young half-elf instead simply takes a seat at the bar and listens to hear the overall mood of the place and if anything interesting is going on.

Midboss
2012-09-20, 09:24 AM
Mai just sighed at how the dragonblooded had asked. He was really inspiring confidence here. She went to the innkeeper.

"Good day. I have a reservation made by the town's watch. Could I have the key ?"

incandescent
2012-09-20, 11:17 AM
Saram comes in behind the dwarf and upon seeing the posturing spectacle of the dragonborn has a single thought:

discord.

He distances himself from what he expects to be an imminent conflict and wanders to the bar, using his keen senses to monitor the situation. He figures he won't have to worry about the possible spies in this establishment if he appears as just another patron.

However, he's not too familiar with alcoholic beverages so he'll ask for what they have and pick one at random.

Edit: upon hearing the dwarf utter "ale" he asks for one as well.

Creed
2012-09-20, 02:21 PM
Saram comes in behind the dwarf and upon seeing the posturing spectacle of the dragonborn has a single thought:

discord.

He distances himself from what he expects to be an imminent conflict and wanders to the bar, using his keen senses to monitor the situation. He figures he won't have to worry about the possible spies in this establishment if he appears as just another patron.

However, he's not too familiar with alcoholic beverages so he'll ask for what they have and pick one at random.

Edit: upon hearing the dwarf utter "ale" he asks for one as well.

The bartender, a calm, old elf, serves you an ale.

Mai just sighed at how the dragonblooded had asked. He was really inspiring confidence here. She went to the innkeeper.

"Good day. I have a reservation made by the town's watch. Could I have the key ?"

The innkeep, a distressed looking man with a rugged beard, nods in response.
"Yes, o'course milady." The innkeep fishes a large brass key out from below his desk and hands it to you.

Gween enters the tavern with a smile on her face. Seeing how two of her companions beat her there and seem to already have the search for the bard well under control the young half-elf instead simply takes a seat at the bar and listens to hear the overall mood of the place and if anything interesting is going on.

Upon closer inspection, you can tell that most of the noise is coming from a table where a large half-orc is sitting, surrounded by brutish men. The rest of the crowd is mainly keeping to themselves.

Hestia walks into the bar, and lets a smile creep across her face. She walks up to the bartender, watching the Dragonborn go straight to business, and flips him a gold coin. "A drink o' your strongest ale, sir. Also, do ye know where I can be findin' Riverwood? I would be lovin' to hear a song by 'im, maybe to talk to 'im for a bit." She may be short, but from the look of her, the bartender might want to think twice before making a "short" joke.

The bartender, an elderly elf, serves you a flagon as you speak. Then, he nods and gestures across the bar towards the startled black-haired man, and your dragonborn companion.

As the Dragonborn entered the stinking pool of inebriation, he realized that finding the bard amongst the crowd might be tricky. Luckily, he was a fan of the straightforward method.

Levistus approached the flute-tuner sitting on the stage and growled his menacing inquiry, "Riverwood, where is he?"

The man starts and looks up at you, his lute nearly falling out of his hands.
"I-I am he."

Irish Musician
2012-09-20, 02:42 PM
Hestia, seeing her new-found companion scaring the tar out of the poor bard, asks the bartender the bard's favorite beverage and gets one for him. With that, she takes her ale and his drink over to and hands him his drink. "Here ya go lad, a drink from me and me scary friend here. Dunno think nothin' o' him, his bark be worse than 'is bite. We really just be needin' to askin' ya a few questions about some characters around here and where they might be hangin' around. We be havin' some business wit' 'em." She flashes him her biggest, most innocent smile.....and even goes so far as to bat her eyes at him. Hestia is certainly not bad looking at can turn on what little charm she has when she needs to......whether it works in time before she gets fed up with waiting and just starting pounding on someone is something else.....

incandescent
2012-09-20, 03:21 PM
I must remember that I am no longer in the woods. Predator and prey take on different meanings in this form.

Saram takes a sip and grimaces at the bitter liquid. He leaves a coin on the bar, and monitors the group forming around Riverwood. He tries to see if anyone else in the tavern has taken an interest in them.

(do you want me to roll or you to roll or do a roll at all? My perception mod is*+10)

Midboss
2012-09-20, 04:02 PM
"Thank you kindly." Jen answers as she takes the key and goes to her room.

Once inside, she locks the door and notices with relief that there is a mirror there. That would make the conversation much simpler. She simply stared at it and called out:

"Mai, are you awake."

On the reflection wasn't Jen. Well not quite. She had the same clothing and her body structure was the same but this was it. Where Jen had dark purple skin and her crystalline "hair" was tied backwards in a sort of ponytail Mai had light blue skin and her hair was loose, almost obscuring her face.

"I'm here. So, what was this job about then ?"

"Well, good news and bad news time..."

She explained to her the idea of the job as well as the controversial payment scheme. Mai looked less than impressed.

"You've let yourself get carried away again. You always get stupid when money is involved."

"Oh come on. This is a great chance. We might even get a home out of it. These guys are bound to own some properties. Probably some noble in on the conspiracy, we could claim his place."

"I'm not going to manage to talk you out of this, am I ? Alright, I guess we're doing that."

"Don't be mad, I got us free meals and roof out of the deal."

A couple minutes later, another genasi girl came out. She had light blue skin and ice white hair, indicating her a windsoul. It could be noted she wears the same clothing and possesses the same equipment as Jen, only carries it differently. The sleeves are gone, so is some of the heavier articles. Although her face is partially hidden behind her "hair" she bears a lot of resemblance to Jen.

Going by the descriptions given by her sister, she walks to Hestia and introduces herself.

"Um, hello, I'm Mai. My sister must have mentioned me. I'm here to help you."

Creed
2012-09-22, 03:49 PM
Hestia, seeing her new-found companion scaring the tar out of the poor bard, asks the bartender the bard's favorite beverage and gets one for him. With that, she takes her ale and his drink over to and hands him his drink. "Here ya go lad, a drink from me and me scary friend here. Dunno think nothin' o' him, his bark be worse than 'is bite. We really just be needin' to askin' ya a few questions about some characters around here and where they might be hangin' around. We be havin' some business wit' 'em." She flashes him her biggest, most innocent smile.....and even goes so far as to bat her eyes at him. Hestia is certainly not bad looking at can turn on what little charm she has when she needs to......whether it works in time before she gets fed up with waiting and just starting pounding on someone is something else.....

The bartender hands you a glass of water, which the bard happily takes and swallows.

I must remember that I am no longer in the woods. Predator and prey take on different meanings in this form.

Saram takes a sip and grimaces at the bitter liquid. He leaves a coin on the bar, and monitors the group forming around Riverwood. He tries to see if anyone else in the tavern has taken an interest in them.

(do you want me to roll or you to roll or do a roll at all? My perception mod is*+10)

No one in the bar seems to recognize the action, to your knowledge.

Creed
2012-09-24, 04:38 PM
Riverwood swallows the water and speaks, "Who, may I ask?"

incandescent
2012-09-24, 07:47 PM
Not quite sure what to do with the terrible drink, Saram takes it with him as he joins the others talking to the bard.

"It doesn't seem like you're being watched.," Saram speaks quietly to his mercenary companions.

He turns outward and leans against the wall, still attempting to stand apart and survey the bar.

Irish Musician
2012-09-24, 08:45 PM
Riverwood swallows the water and speaks, "Who, may I ask?"

Hestia eyes the bard for a minute. "Oh these lads that have been causin' some trouble. I've been hearin' that you be knowin' who they be. A little bunch 'o softies named...." (then she whispers just so he can hear)...." The Black 'and." She then takes a big gulp of her drink and puts it down. Slowly placing her hand on her hammer......just in case.

Creed
2012-09-24, 08:57 PM
Riverwood sits for a moment, his face blank, as he sits down his glass of water.
"You're with the guard, aren't you? I've told them and now I'll tell you: I don't know anything about them. I'm just a bard, come on, you can't honestly believe I know anything about... them."
He glances around the bar warily, particularly towards the entryway.

Irish Musician
2012-09-24, 09:04 PM
Hestia doesn't miss the look towards the door, and takes a step in between him and it. "Look, bard. It don't matter who we be with, the point 'o the matter is that we be needin' to know where they are, and I don't be believin' for a second that you don't know where they be hidin'. Now, I tried askin' nicely and that don't happen too often. So my suggestion be to you.....take advantage 'o the time that I'm not bein' angry, and just be tellin' me where they be. Make it easier for yourself, bard." She gives him a stern look and grips her hammer.......making sure he sees the hammer she is gripping.

Intimidate - [roll0]

Creed
2012-09-24, 09:08 PM
"Listen," the bard says, "Even if I did have connections with this group, and I'm not saying I do, but if I knew where their safehouse was, and I was seen talking to guards or mercenaries, I would not be here before you. I'd probably be tied to a bag of bricks in the harbor, or in the back of a wagon headed to Ten-Towns."

Irish Musician
2012-09-24, 09:13 PM

Going by the descriptions given by her sister, she walks to Hestia and introduces herself.
"Um, hello, I'm Mai. My sister must have mentioned me. I'm here to help you."
Sorry Totally missed this :smalleek:
"Ummm....Hallo? Where'd the other one go?"

"Listen," the bard says, "Even if I did have connections with this group, and I'm not saying I do, but if I knew where their safehouse was, and I was seen talking to guards or mercenaries, I would not be here before you. I'd probably be tied to a bag of bricks in the harbor, or in the back of a wagon headed to Ten-Towns."
Hestia whispers to the bard, "We can be talkin' to the Captain and see if ya can be protected in some way. Tell us what we be needin' ta know, and we can be hidin' ya until we get rid of 'em all."

Creed
2012-09-24, 09:18 PM
The bard bites his lip.
"I'll make you a deal. You do something for me, then get me guard protection, and I'll tell you all I know about where you can find the Black Hand."

Irish Musician
2012-09-24, 09:21 PM
Hestia smiles a very big smile, "I be thinkin' that can be arranged, Whatchu think lads and lasses?" Hestia looks between her comrades, looking for agreement from them.

incandescent
2012-09-24, 09:43 PM
He hated to admit it to himself, but Saram felt as if the pressure had been taken off of him. It was as if he'd changed into an unbecoming form and joined a circle of predators surrounding a wounded animal. Perhaps he should save the poor man.

Do not be so frightened, I will help any way I am able. Saram is the name.

He extends a hand towards the bard.

Midboss
2012-09-25, 05:58 AM
"Ummm....Hallo? Where'd the other one go?"

"Oh, she's resting now."

She preferred not to elaborate. People tended to assume she was crazy when finding out that she and her sister shared the same body. She listened to Hestia talk to the bard and that seemed a reasonable request.

"That does seem more than reasonable."

incandescent
2012-09-25, 08:19 AM
Saram had been so caught up in watching the tavern-goers around the bard for signs of trouble that he was taken aback by the arrival of this new genasi. A sister to the other? He had heard of such things but had neither parents nor siblings nor familial relations of any kind. He was lost in thought for a moment as he thought back to his earlier, more primal existence just a little over a hundred years ago. Did he spring from nature itself or was he born of mundane animals and become what he is now at a later point. He blinked noticably to snap himself out of his reverie.

"Welcome to the fold, Mai," He bows his head slightly, gesturing himself, "Saram."

Binks
2012-09-25, 10:39 AM
"Sounds like a plan to me." Gween says, ambling over from the bar as the Hestia poses her question.

"Nice to meet you miss Mai." Gween adds with a nod to the Genasi before returning her attention to the bard.

Creed
2012-09-25, 11:31 AM
The bard nods.
"Good to hear you're on board. Now, what I need done will help me, and you too, if you play your cards right. In the docks, there's a ship, a transport called the Shepard. It poses as a transport between Waterdeep and Calimshan, bringing salts and spices back from the south. The big trade for the Shepard is slaves, wretches and miscreants taken from the streets of Waterdeep and shipped south. However, this load of slaves has one... particular individual woman on it. Her name is Mary, Mary Stralls. She is the daughter of an... important individual in the city, catching my drift? To add to the bargain, the Shepard is an asset to the Black Hand."
He sips some more water.
"Go to the Shepard, and bring the girl back here by any means. I don't care how you do it, or what happens to the ship or other slaves. Just bring her back here. Do we have a deal?"

Midboss
2012-09-26, 06:41 AM
Slave ship.... they were definitely going there then.

"We should go free them then.... May I suggest before we escort you to the guards. I wouldn't want to come back here and find you had a mysterious accident while we were looking elsewhere."

Creed
2012-09-26, 08:18 AM
Riverwood nods.
"I agree entirely. Let us go."

Irish Musician
2012-09-26, 08:31 AM

[COLOR="Cyan"]"Oh, she's resting now."[/COLOR
Hestia looks at her very oddly, "Hmm, well alright then. Hopin' she don't be sleepin' through all the fun." She then turns back to the bard. "Slavers, huh? Me thinks me hammer would be likin' to be smashin' some slaver heads. Though, I be agreein' that we should take ya over to the guards." After his conformation of this, she finishes her ale, and motions for her comrades to follow them. Turning to Riverwood she says, "Be stayin' close to me, lad. Don't want you endin' up in little pieces," she ends with a wink, taking out her hammer and readjusting her shield on her arm.

Binks
2012-09-26, 10:26 AM
"Alright. Let's go." Gween says, following the others as they escort the bard before heading off to the slavers.

Creed
2012-09-26, 11:23 AM
The trip back to the guards down the street is uneventful. The captain agrees to hold Riverwood until you get back from the Shepard, and the bard gives you detailed instructions on how to get to the ship.

The Shepard is a large, flat decked ship with two masts. The moon is rising slowly into the sky over the fog-strewn dock as you arrive, and you can clearly see several shadowy figures moving over the long deck. All is quiet on board the ship, however, as you approach.

Binks
2012-09-26, 11:33 AM
"Sooo...what's the plan? Do we want to try and barter? Straight up attack? Barter then attack?" Gween whispers quietly to the others as they near the ship. Keeping her spear in hand and ready she surveys the scene while waiting for a response.

Irish Musician
2012-09-26, 11:46 AM
Hestia drops off the bard, hoping he will be safe, and walks with the others to the docks. She looks from where she is, and where they stop, looking at the ship, trying to discern what is going on, on board. The whole time, Hestia is thinking of all the poor people taken by these men and she gets more & more angry. If her hammer wasn't made out of the best metals in her mountain, she would have put finger grip prints in it a while ago. Were you to look at her, she would have a VERY angry look on her face. When she hears Gween's question she puts a wicked smile on and laughs, "HA! They be slavers.....they don't be gettin' the chance to barter. They will be feelin' the might of my hammer!!!" She then starts forward, toward the ship. And if you listen closely, you hear a whisper of a song on her lips, though you can't make out the words.

Perception check to see what's on deck - [roll0], she also has low-light vision

sorry for the initiative I am taking here, but as someone who likes to protect freedom, etc., Hestia is preeeeeetty pissed off right now :smallwink:
EDIT: Well, my passive is better, ugh :smallsigh:

Midboss
2012-09-26, 12:08 PM
"As much as I dislike violence, I must agree with Hestia. Although may I suggest we try and approach the boat stealthily. I'm afraid if they notice them they'll just choose to "erase" the evidence."

Creed
2012-09-26, 12:29 PM
Hestia drops off the bard, hoping he will be safe, and walks with the others to the docks. She looks from where she is, and where they stop, looking at the ship, trying to discern what is going on, on board. The whole time, Hestia is thinking of all the poor people taken by these men and she gets more & more angry. If her hammer wasn't made out of the best metals in her mountain, she would have put finger grip prints in it a while ago. Were you to look at her, she would have a VERY angry look on her face. When she hears Gween's question she puts a wicked smile on and laughs, "HA! They be slavers.....they don't be gettin' the chance to barter. They will be feelin' the might of my hammer!!!" She then starts forward, toward the ship. And if you listen closely, you hear a whisper of a song on her lips, though you can't make out the words.

Perception check to see what's on deck - [roll0], she also has low-light vision

sorry for the initiative I am taking here, but as someone who likes to protect freedom, etc., Hestia is preeeeeetty pissed off right now :smallwink:
EDIT: Well, my passive is better, ugh :smallsigh:

Hestia can see that there are approximately a dozen human-sized creatures walking upright on the deck, but there may be more below decks with the slaves.

incandescent
2012-09-27, 08:06 AM
Images flash in Saram's mind for a moment comparimg how humanoids cage each other as well as animals.

His voice is calm, yet stern.
I agree with Mai. The safety of the prisoners is most important and we should be careful how we approach. The Black Hand is ruthless and who's to say they won't slaughter everyone aboard if attacked. I may have an idea on how to check on the slaves, all i need is a small space to squeeze through...

perception to see if there are any portholes on the side of the boat small enough for a tiny creature to fit through. [roll0]

Also, how far away is the boat from usand is it close in to the dock?

Creed
2012-09-27, 02:33 PM
The boat is docked, gangplank down, about 50 yards down the pier.
You notice, just at the waterline, that there are 5 portholes on this side of the Shepard. If one were opened, however, the lower decks would start taking on water.

RedshirtNPC
2012-09-27, 07:35 PM
The dragonborn followed the dwarven woman towards the boat. His patience was waning and his silence was brought on with anger and frustration of being led to another errand by this minstrel.

His armor shifted form once again into it's normal scale and his sword materialized into a crystalline and translucent shape with an unusual curve and jaggedness unique among non-dragonborns. A chilling cloud forms in the air around the weapon as frost grows from the blade and hilt to Levistus's gauntlet arm.

Worthy battle would make this run-around fair for the trouble.

incandescent
2012-09-27, 10:00 PM
After seeing the dragonborn's display, Saram thinks to himself for a moment before speaking. His voice is rushed and embarassed at first as if he's trying to get something out before changing his mind.

"None of you seem to be strangers to different magics and there are lives at stake, so I see no harm in revealing a certain... Ability of mine. I can transform into a small creature if necessary and dash aboard. They may be to confused to try and strike down a passing hare. Once in the hold, i can change back and defend the slaves from inside while the rest of you storm the ship. I would offer to be more discrete, but i'm used to running from danger as an animal, not hiding from it."

Midboss
2012-09-28, 07:53 AM
"Actually, I think I can even suggest an improvement on the plan. I'm a mage and know a spell that can switch the position of two people. Now if you went in there, I could cast the spell and switch our places. You could then come back and there would be two of us defending the slaves down there. We'd have a assault from two sides there."

incandescent
2012-09-28, 08:52 AM
I like it. How about the rest of you?

Binks
2012-09-28, 10:09 AM
"Seems like a plan to me. Having two people defending the slaves would definitely be better than 1, though hopefully we can draw all their attention up here." Gwenn says quietly as she prepares for the coming fight.

incandescent
2012-09-28, 01:45 PM
Saram notices the two predators in the group are so eager to fight they've gone beyond reasoning. He must act quickly so he can be sure the hostages are freed.

He quickly turns to Mai and Gwenn saying respectively, As soon as I make it below deck, join me if you are able. Hopefully together we can close around them like the bear's crushing jaws. I will hold the area unless the battle shifts.

On the last words, his equipment melds into his shrinking body, replaced by greyish brown fur. Seconds later, a small woodland hare dashes around the dwarf at full tilt towards the gangplank.

i used my racial power "nature's mask" and then double ran for 16 squares/80 feet. 22 sq/110 ft (speed 6 +1 fluid motion feat +2 for animal form +2 for running).

Edits for correcting numerous fails in speed calculation :P

Creed
2012-10-01, 12:19 AM
Saram notices the two predators in the group are so eager to fight they've gone beyond reasoning. He must act quickly so he can be sure the hostages are freed.

He quickly turns to Mai and Gwenn saying respectively, As soon as I make it below deck, join me if you are able. Hopefully together we can close around them like the bear's crushing jaws. I will hold the area unless the battle shifts.

On the last words, his equipment melds into his shrinking body, replaced by greyish brown fur. Seconds later, a small woodland hare dashes around the dwarf at full tilt towards the gangplank.

i used my racial power "nature's mask" and then double ran for 16 squares/80 feet. 22 sq/110 ft (speed 6 +1 fluid motion feat +2 for animal form +2 for running).

Edits for correcting numerous fails in speed calculation :P

You reach the deck, and can see that this entire thing is expected. There is about a dozen men on the deck, armed, but there are several more crouched below the railing, hiding. Also, you can hear additional voices from below decks, as if there are additional soldiers directly guarding the slaves.

incandescent
2012-10-01, 04:15 PM
Against his better judgement and fight or flight instinct, Saram will dart into the hold to get an eye full of the situation down there before charging back off the boat to warn the others of the ambush.

just double moving this time if that will cover it (speed 9). just poking his head in to get enemy positions

Irish Musician
2012-10-01, 08:30 PM
Hestia, seeing the odd little hare run towards the ship's lower parts, kept walking to the ship herself. Right before her feet touched the gangplank, anyone watching her, will see something quite crazy. As she start to make her way up the gangplank, she seems to grow a little bit, just a few inches, and her skin seems to turn to a dark grey color......and also to stone. As soon as her first foot hits the gangplank, she takes off up it, and smacks the very first poor soul that she has set her eyes on at the top of the plank.

Actions
Minor - Form of Mountain's Thunder: You assume the guardian form of mountain's thunder until the end of the encounter. While you are in this form, you gain resist 3 to all damage and a +1 bonus to AC. Once per round when you hit an enemy with a melee attack, each enemy marked by you takes thunder damage equal to your Strength modifier.
Standard - Charge attack -Move to D8, As my Basic melee I use Warden's Lunge VS AC, [roll0]
Damage - [roll1], the 2nd weapon damage roll is from my weapon
Effect - If I hit or miss, You mark the target until the end of your next turn.

Binks
2012-10-02, 09:56 AM
Gween follows behind Hestia, moving slower due to her heavy chain armor but prepared to back up to warden when needed. As she moves the young half elf focuses her mind, a far more important weapon than the spear she holds in her hands, and prepares to do battle. Shutting out the emotions of the slaves below and focusing on her allies and the enemy ahead Gwenn prepares to fight.

Assuming we're now in combat initiative.

I'm not sure where we start on the map, so I have 3 possible sets of actions.

1. If we start just off the map (or anywhere where I can get to C8 in a single (5sq) move action.
Move - Get to C8
Standard - Energizing Strike the thug at E8 (yay reach)
Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]
Hestia gets 7 temp hp

2. If we start such that I can reach the edge of the map in 1 move action (1sq to the left of A7) but not C8
Move - Get to 1sq to the left of A7
Standard - Ready an action to charge the first enemy that attacks Hestia and is within charge range (I can get to D7)
Atk (if needed): [roll2] (+1 from charging)
Dmg (if needed): [roll3]

3. If we start such that I can't reach 1sq to the left of A7 in 1 move action then move as far as I can towards the gangplank in both move and standard actions (not running), staying in row 8.

Regardless of which option above is used:
Prepared Immediate Interrupt - Sympathetic Agony. If an ally within 5sq of me (Hestia most likely) takes damage from an attack I will burn this encounter power to halve the damage, give us both a +2 power bonus to all defenses until the end of my next turn (as long as we stay within 5 of each other) and possibly take any save ends effects myself (depending on what they are).

Creed
2012-10-02, 07:28 PM
Against his better judgement and fight or flight instinct, Saram will dart into the hold to get an eye full of the situation down there before charging back off the boat to warn the others of the ambush.

just double moving this time if that will cover it (speed 9). just poking his head in to get enemy positions

(Normally, I would give the thugs any AoO they deserve. Sadly, they haven't drawn steel and have bigger fish to fry, an earth elemental dwarf having just rushed onto their boat. I'm letting you slip by.)

The hold of the boat has several captives chained to the walls, with two men guarding them, talking in lowered voices. There is a door at the far end that is barred from this side.

Hestia, seeing the odd little hare run towards the ship's lower parts, kept walking to the ship herself. Right before her feet touched the gangplank, anyone watching her, will see something quite crazy. As she start to make her way up the gangplank, she seems to grow a little bit, just a few inches, and her skin seems to turn to a dark grey color......and also to stone. As soon as her first foot hits the gangplank, she takes off up it, and smacks the very first poor soul that she has set her eyes on at the top of the plank.

Actions
Minor - Form of Mountain's Thunder: You assume the guardian form of mountain's thunder until the end of the encounter. While you are in this form, you gain resist 3 to all damage and a +1 bonus to AC. Once per round when you hit an enemy with a melee attack, each enemy marked by you takes thunder damage equal to your Strength modifier.
Standard - Charge attack -Move to D8, As my Basic melee I use Warden's Lunge VS AC, [roll0]
Damage - [roll1], the 2nd weapon damage roll is from my weapon
Effect - If I hit or miss, You mark the target until the end of your next turn.

Gween follows behind Hestia, moving slower due to her heavy chain armor but prepared to back up to warden when needed. As she moves the young half elf focuses her mind, a far more important weapon than the spear she holds in her hands, and prepares to do battle. Shutting out the emotions of the slaves below and focusing on her allies and the enemy ahead Gwenn prepares to fight.

Assuming we're now in combat initiative.

I'm not sure where we start on the map, so I have 3 possible sets of actions.

1. If we start just off the map (or anywhere where I can get to C8 in a single (5sq) move action.
Move - Get to C8
Standard - Energizing Strike the thug at E8 (yay reach)
Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]
Hestia gets 7 temp hp

2. If we start such that I can reach the edge of the map in 1 move action (1sq to the left of A7) but not C8
Move - Get to 1sq to the left of A7
Standard - Ready an action to charge the first enemy that attacks Hestia and is within charge range (I can get to D7)
Atk (if needed): [roll2] (+1 from charging)
Dmg (if needed): [roll3]

3. If we start such that I can't reach 1sq to the left of A7 in 1 move action then move as far as I can towards the gangplank in both move and standard actions (not running), staying in row 8.

Regardless of which option above is used:
Prepared Immediate Interrupt - Sympathetic Agony. If an ally within 5sq of me (Hestia most likely) takes damage from an attack I will burn this encounter power to halve the damage, give us both a +2 power bonus to all defenses until the end of my next turn (as long as we stay within 5 of each other) and possibly take any save ends effects myself (depending on what they are).

(You can get onto the boat and into the fray, Binks)

Between your combined assault, the first thug goes down as he fumbles with his blade. He lets out a cry, and others begin to draw weapons, and several, as yet unseen, thugs stand up from their seated positions along the side of the ship.

(All other PCs can go ahead and take actions, then the Black Hand will go)

RedshirtNPC
2012-10-02, 11:17 PM
Levistus lazily strode up the gangplank and gazed upon the denizen's of the ship. No fear was felt by the dragonborn as the thugs drew arms, only one question was asked internally; how many would be slaughtered by his hand in the next few minutes?

His implement shone with fierce magics. The mouths of the dragon heads glowed much like his arcane ancestral line before him who's breaths were single-handedly stronger than any spell they might wield. Before, he might have looked to surpass them to make them proud; that was in the past now...

Raising his rod, a roaring blast of concussive magic flew from the mouths towards one of the deckhands.

Move to E7

Eldritch Bolt against the H7 Thug
[roll0] vs Reflex
[roll1] force damage

Should he fall, I use Warding Chaos to give me resist 5 fire until end of my next turn and shift to G7

Midboss
2012-10-06, 06:05 AM
The hostilities had started. It was time for Mai to do her part then. A small circle of symbols appeared on the ground as she pronounced words of power. Light shinned there and in a flash, no longer was Mai there but instead Saram, now once again outside of the ship.

ooc: using dimensional to swap positions between Mai and Saram.