PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Artifact

demigodus
2012-09-14, 09:34 PM
What are the cheapest (carryable) artifacts in the game? I was considering counters for Mage's Disjunction, and realized I could just have my character walk around with a belt that had ~50 coins that are technically artifacts on it to discourage being Disjunctioned.

The problem of course is, I need some really cheap artifacts else this would get very expensive.

So what are the cheapest artifacts in the game that you can think of? I believe Raptor arrows only cost 6k each, but I'm hoping that cheaper artifacts exist.

Alleran
2012-09-14, 09:45 PM
I wasn't aware that any artifact was "cheap" - mostly because no artifact I know of has a price tag.

metabolicjosh
2012-09-14, 09:48 PM
The one you find. So all of them i guess.

Kazyan
2012-09-14, 09:49 PM
Relics (such as raptor arrows) are a different thing from artifacts entirely. For one, you don't get artifacts. They're DM tools, more than anything else.

demigodus
2012-09-14, 09:50 PM
ah sorry, I guess I confused relics and artifacts. So I guess this plan is not viable then?

Alleran
2012-09-14, 09:56 PM
ah sorry, I guess I confused relics and artifacts. So I guess this plan is not viable then?
Not really, no.

Some artifacts, if they had a price tag, probably wouldn't cost all that much. Arbane's Sword of Agility in Magic of Faerun is a good example, since it's not particularly amazing. But it's still an artifact, which means it still has no price tag.

nedz
2012-09-15, 05:47 AM
Unless your character is Epic, Artefacts are always placed items. There's nothing to stop you looking for them as a side quest though.

I've yet to encounter The Old Artefact Mart, even then they would not be cheap. Your question is comparable to Where can I get hold of a cheap Van Gough ?

Alleran
2012-09-15, 05:58 AM
Unless your character is Epic, Artefacts are always placed items.[/I]
They're still placed items even then. Artifacts have no price tag. Even epic items have a price tag. An epic item can be more powerful than an artifact, but that doesn't mean an artifact is any easier to find.

meemaas
2012-09-15, 07:59 AM
The Pathfinder Alchemist at level 20 can create a minor artifact for free in the form of the Philosophers stone, so arguably you could hire 50 of them to make them for you to wear on your belt.

nedz
2012-09-15, 08:50 AM
They're still placed items even then. Artifacts have no price tag. Even epic items have a price tag. An epic item can be more powerful than an artifact, but that doesn't mean an artifact is any easier to find.

Well yes, except that I would expect that Epic PCs might be able to create them.

Douglas
2012-09-15, 11:38 AM
Well yes, except that I would expect that Epic PCs might be able to create them.
The only RAW artifact creation ability in 3.5 is the Craft Artifact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#craftArtifact) Salient Divine Ability, and only deities can get that.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-15, 12:36 PM
The only RAW artifact creation ability in 3.5 is the Craft Artifact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#craftArtifact) Salient Divine Ability, and only deities can get that.

I don't think, RAW, even that lets you craft artifacts. All it does is let you "exceed normal limits" for magic items. I suppose that means wands and potions of 9th level spells, but it doesn't mean artifacts.

On the other hand, if you take RAW to its silliest limits, every spellcaster has an infinite number available:

A spellcaster with a spell component pouch is assumed to have all the material components and focuses needed for spellcasting, except for those components that have a specific cost, divine focuses, and focuses that wouldn’t fit in a pouch.

Apocalypse from the Sky
Conjuration (Creation) [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 9
Components: V, S, M, Corrupt
Casting Time: 1 day
Range: Personal
Area: 10-mile radius/level, centered on caster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Material Component: An artifact, usually one of good perverted to this corrupt use.

Emphasis added. Since artifacts by definition don't have a specific cost, you can pull as many as you need out of your spell component pouch!

grarrrg
2012-09-15, 12:41 PM
I've yet to encounter Ye Olde Artefact Shoppe, even then they would not be cheap.

Fixed that for you :smallwink:

Cruiser1
2012-09-15, 01:01 PM
Several official WotC adventures allow access to artifacts. Talk to your DM to see if you can do them. Complete the downloadable "Black Rain" adventure (for 16th level party) and you'll get The Iron Rods artifacts. They're evil, where you're supposed to destroy them, however if you refuse and run off with them, you have two artifacts you can use yourself as a Disjunction deterrent.

Also, start the Epic Level Handbook's "Kerleth's Tower" adventure (for epic parties) and the Infernal will give you a Xixecal egg that counts as a major artifact. You're supposed to use it up to take out an advanced Red Dragon, but a strong party can beat the dragon without the artifact (or just quit the adventure once you get the artifact), for another way to get an artifact to keep.

nedz
2012-09-15, 02:50 PM

Well there are ways of getting Divine Ranks.

And there's Epic spell casting.

But mainly I was thinking about a PC driven plot thing. Yes I know this requires Rule 0, but that's the main thing about Artefacts anyway; and I did say might.

Diarmuid
2012-09-15, 03:31 PM
Unless every enemy spellcaster knows you have an artifact why would they not simply cast the spell anyway out of ignorance.

And if your possession of artifacts is that common knowledge, I'd imagine you're going to be spending a lot of time fending off would-be artifact thieves.

TuggyNE
2012-09-15, 04:48 PM
And if your possession of artifacts is that common knowledge, I'd imagine you're going to be spending a lot of time fending off would-be artifact thieves.

Anyone crazy enough to carry around 50 artifacts just to ward off a specific spellcaster tactic is going to be less a target than someone to fight shy of, in my opinion. :smalltongue: