PDA

View Full Version : A Scoundrel Sorcerer - A Harlequin

Red_Dog
2012-09-15, 02:42 PM
Hello all. I am working on mostly a light heartened build that is meant to be the party's comic relief and a counterbalance to both DM and a resident TO lover.

Campaign is scoundrel-assassin themed. I did not want to play a Joker Bard as it seemed a bit too easy and plus I have not build an eccentric Sorc in ages. Its also, to me, amusing to have Sorcerer Scoundrel.

So without further due =>

Harlequin!

Race=> Silverbrow Human [Any suggestions? Giving up a floating skill point IS tough but should be ok]. Any suggestions?
Stats=> Int12 or 14 min. Cha in the sky. Rest is whatever I will roll.
Classes=>Passive Way Monk 1/Sorcerer 5/Master of Masks 2[up to lvl8 for now. Still thinking from what can I trade in a familiar. Maybe Free Draconic Heritage & UMD? Progressing into a sorcerer. Not sure what other prestige I could get into without loosing spell casting. Enlighten fist needs too many feats Suggestions?]

Feats[4+Combat Expertise]=>Able Learner, Silent Spell, Ascetic Mage, Open for now.[Heighten or Force of Personality?] + Bonus Combat Expertise & Unarmed Strike & Flurry & +2 bluff for passive way.
*I am very unsure on the feats. I could get Rapid Metamagic when I am ready for it. Arcane Thesis could be neat and so could be Still Spell. Versitile Spellcaster is always welcome but not sure if I really want it.*

Skills=>Bluff, Disguise & Perform[Act]. Than Bluff and Disguise are likley to be maxed and the rest I am not sure. Lots to choose from with Monk's large skill list. Master of Masks gives me Sleight of Hand & Forgery.

Masks=>Faceless[+5competance Vs mind effecting.]. Rest are not set yet... Gladiator probably. And Maybe Lich to fool Undead?

Spells=> Meat and bones of the build.
LvL0=> Ghost Sounds & Prestidigitation all day every day! ^^
LvL1[4] => Silent Image, Mage Armor, Nerveskitter, ???[so many options...]
LvL2[2] => Minor Image, Alter Self.
LvL3[1] => Major Image[Were rat for asap later].

Gear=> +2? Cha Item. Monk's Belt [making me an lvl11 monk in some respects heh], Rod Of Shadow-blending. rest is up in the air? A lot of different outfits ^^ a Shield Wand?[only 750 for +4AC]. Also I would be getting ring of Evasion as soon as I can.

Final words. Well, the build is by all means not everything an 8th lvl sorc can be, but with Silent Image alone in my belt, I should be ok for a while ^^. I could swap one spell for a damaging [like get Ray of Stupidity and such]. As far as defenses go, without any armor, I should pack a high AC and good-ish saves. Having Cha to AC, Mage armor+shield, Misc Dex & monk AC is a good way to go about it IMO. But overall, I think the character would do fine as a CE Harlequin... ^^

So whats the verdict ladies and gentlemen? Comments and Critique/Help is welcomed ^^

Red_Dog
2012-09-15, 09:10 PM
A small change. I decided to do away with Master of Masks. As much flavor as that class has, I think I would be choosing Virtuoso as he/she can progress sorcerer for 10 levels without a need to hop on a different class. By than, the game is likely to be done anyway.

So Classes would look this way=>
Passive way Monk 1/Sorcerer 6/Virtuoso 1

HunterColt22
2012-09-17, 11:31 AM
A small change. I decided to do away with Master of Masks. As much flavor as that class has, I think I would be choosing Virtuoso as he/she can progress sorcerer for 10 levels without a need to hop on a different class. By than, the game is likely to be done anyway.

So Classes would look this way=>
Passive way Monk 1/Sorcerer 6/Virtuoso 1

Why monk really? I mean I get the save bonus but as a trickster/scoundrel you would be better off thematically with a dip in spellthief or even beguiler. Also have you looked at deepwrym drow? I think they get some interesting abilities which suit your build as well, same book that silver brow human is in. LA is an issue but eh. Also have you looked at Magical Trickster PrC?

Red_Dog
2012-09-17, 12:31 PM
Monk for several reasons=>

Free Combat Expertise = more AC
Wisdom to AC becomes Charisma to AC thru Acetic Mage
Big Skill list that, amongst other things, has perform.
Free AC bonuses thru Monk belt and Acetic Mage. *Tbh this one is meh only +2 to AC. But still. And its fun to have lvl12 monk bonuses heh.*

So monk gives me skills and "crazy AC"[in melee I get +5dodge+2unnamed+Cha+Mage[greater soon enough] armor+Shield spell+AC Ring. Imo very good for a guy who dresses in robes hehe.]That's really all. Virtuoso gives me MORE skills and skill points [6+int is nothing to sniff at].

=========================================>

For practical purposes I would actually go straight Sorc for 7 levels and sack a fit to get Perform[or take Sorc variant and get Battle Dragon heritage that gets me perform]. But this is not most optimized character I ever did.

P.S. Also, I am not going to take silver brow and will just be plain human. At this point its easier to dump skills at level 8 to get disguise up to its fullest. Since we are starting at lvl8 I would not be harmed by this turn of events[no need to suffer thru 7 levels of no disguise]. This switch gets me anoher skill point which is a big deal in this campaign. With int12-14 I would have 8-9 skill points per level thru most of the campaign.