PDA

View Full Version : I am the Wrath of GOD!

Chauncymancer
2012-09-15, 04:45 PM
As fallout from the end of a campaign arc, Wee Jas has given my cleric a boon.
Mechanically I have my choice of (DM's words) "any one non-crafting Salient Divine Ability that Wee Jas has that is connected to the domain of Magic". Ignoring prerequisites and the fact that I'm not a deity.
The list goes:
Arcane Master: I know all the spells on the Wiz/Sor list and can cast them out of my cleric spell slots.
Auto Meta-magic: I take one meta-magic feat and can apply that feat with a spell level mod of +0
Instant counter spell: I can ready a counter-spell as a free action. (as a Magic domain cleric I can prepare dispel) I still need to have a casting of the appropriate spell, it just takes no actions, so I am perpetually ready to counter spell.
See Magic: At all times I am effectively in the third round of a detect magic effect. I cannot be overwhelmed by artifact level magic auras.
Spontaneous Wizard: I can spontaneously cast any Wiz/Sor spell I know out of my cleric spell slots. (I'm a gestalt Dread Necromancer, so I know several Wiz/Sor spells)

Which one should I choose? :haley:

BladeofObliviom
2012-09-15, 04:51 PM
Well, Arcane Master is hilariously broken based on how good the Sorcerer/Wizard Spell list is alone.

I'd personally go with Free Metamagic (Quicken Spell) just to break the Action Economy in half that much more easily. Ever wanted to just slap up a 9th level spell as a Swift Action? Now you can! :smallcool:

Zonugal
2012-09-15, 05:05 PM
Free Metamagic (Persistent Spell) may be nice.

Quellian-dyrae
2012-09-15, 05:23 PM
Arcane Master: I know all the spells on the Wiz/Sor list and can cast them out of my cleric spell slots.

In terms of sheer power, this one pretty much blows the rest out of the water, although it would probably require somewhat more effort to use effectively, since it's competing for your slots.

Auto Meta-magic: I take one meta-magic feat and can apply that feat with a spell level mod of +0

This is probably the only one that can compete with Arcane Master, if you choose a good metamagic feat. You lose versatility, but it makes up for it with raw casting power. I'd second Quicken if you choose it, allowing you to freely cast a spell from each of your classes each round.

Instant counter spell: I can ready a counter-spell as a free action. (as a Magic domain cleric I can prepare dispel) I still need to have a casting of the appropriate spell, it just takes no actions, so I am perpetually ready to counter spell.

If this lets you counter multiple times per round, it's pretty solid for dedicated mage-killing, especially if you have some of the counterspell feats. Unless you're building for defense, though, I'd forego it. If it only allows you to counter once per round, Auto Metamagic (Quicken) is pretty much strictly superior.

See Magic: At all times I am effectively in the third round of a detect magic effect. I cannot be overwhelmed by artifact level magic auras.

Does not even begin to compete with the others. I can't even advise it for purposes of remaining balanced with the rest of the party; Instant Counterspell and (for you specifically) Sponatenous Wizard aren't too game-breaking, but provide useful options.

Spontaneous Wizard: I can spontaneously cast any Wiz/Sor spell I know out of my cleric spell slots. (I'm a gestalt Dread Necromancer, so I know several Wiz/Sor spells)

This would be potentially utterly broken, but since you're a Dread Necromancer, you cast those spells spontaneously anyway. I'd only take it if you're regularly running out of your DN spells while still having numerous cleric spells.

Unless, that is, it works just if the spell is on the sor/wiz list, regardless of what list you know it from. If that's the case (meaning, any cleric spells that exist on the sor/wiz list become spontaneous), that's at least competitive with Arcane Master, and maybe flat-out better (I don't know enough of the overlaps off the top of my head to say for sure).

kabreras
2012-09-15, 06:06 PM
I'd personally go with Free Metamagic (Quicken Spell) just to break the Action Economy in half that much more easily. Ever wanted to just slap up a 9th level spell as a Swift Action? Now you can! :smallcool:

I second that.

At high level quicken is the best metamagic you can hope to have .. and beeing able to slap it to levels 8+ is just a dream becomming true.

Eiko
2012-09-15, 06:16 PM
Or persistant spell on any spell you want, just throwing that out there.