PDA

View Full Version : Wildmage Spells

Sponson
2012-09-15, 05:00 PM
Hello! I was wondering if we could pool our collective knowledges and perhaps list the spells we know that would benefit a Sorc5/WM5 character. I find the +1d6 caster level to be very attractive, but have noticed it tends to do absolutely nothing for a ECL 10 character, as spells such as Fireball/Lightning Bolt will be capped already, as well as nothing for save DC. At this point it seems like the Wildmage is only good for increasing rounds/level, or until I get a spell with a higher cap.

I mean, it's not to say that increasing Haste by up to 6 additional rounds is bad. Any way.

Control Temperature from Frostburn seems like a fun spell. Being level 10 means you're already dropping the temperature in a room from 90 degrees F to 0 degrees in one round, and if you roll a 5 it drops to -20 degrees. Two castings makes this spell pretty stupid in any enclosed encounter.

Wings of Flurry from Races of Dragon is always good, for the obvious reason that it has no cap.

Wall of X, because the size is level dependent.

Anything else?

Flickerdart
2012-09-15, 05:02 PM
Greater Magic Weapon's bonus and duration are both improved by the extra caster levels.

hex0
2012-09-16, 02:06 PM
Acid Arrow has a high duration cap (18) and a ridiculous range (no cap). Great for attacking fleeing foes. If you can somehow get Holy Word (or similar), then so yes.

nedz
2012-09-16, 03:06 PM
Caster Level Checks
e.g.
Spell Resistance, casting Greater Dispel Magic, resisting Greater Dispel Magic

Otherwise it depends upon your character and the campaign.

E.g. Meeting Engagements (seen in many naval and aerial battles) where range=initiative. CL increases range.

dextercorvia
2012-09-16, 03:23 PM
For Direct Damage, Orb of X are good choices, and you are 5 away from that cap. Hammer of Righteousness (BoED) has no cap.