PDA

View Full Version : Mind flayers, psionics, inappropriate CRs and help!

Crinias
2012-09-15, 07:21 PM
Good day all. A few weeks ago I requested a bit of assistance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253490) regarding mind flayers, particularly their psionic counterparts. Today I come to you with doubts about the same topic, but for a more specific case.

Before I proceed any further, I would like to remind any of my players reading this forum to stop now.

Anyway, I'm currently making the primary antagonist for my campaign: an Ulitharid (Lords of Madness 158). I say 'making', but I've had the concept for him floating around my head for a few months now.

This foe is intended to be representative of everything that makes Mind Flayers feared. I need him (it) to be absurdly powerful, ruthless, and willing to do anything to achieve his goals. His role is clear: he has been prophesied to one day lead all Illithids into multiversal dominion, starting with Oerth. I need it to instill terror in the PCs.

I'm taking the whole 'Illithids come from the future' thing from LoM as canon because it's convenient: I can say that its not just a prophecy, he really did conquer the world, and all MFs who know about it treat him as a minor deity; he himself has taken on a name that means Prophet and Promised One. Fortunately for the PCs, only a few Elder Brains even know how this Prophet managed to conquer the world, so I can just move the goalposts around until it's time for the campaign to end.

And although unlikely, in case things get up to really high level, 15+, I fully intend for an Elder Evil to awakened by the Prophet.

Anyway, as I mentioned on the other thread, I will be using psionics. Therein lies the problem: Using the psionic versions of monsters means giving them many more abilities, often requiring the DM to increase the CR a notch or two.

The ulitharid as described in LoM, with a few spell-like abilities, is CR 12. The psionic version does not say its CR increases, despite it gaining the ability to manifest powers as a level 13 psion.

Further complicating the matter, a lot of the powers it possesses are close to useless (body equilibrium, psionic levitate, personality parasite, mass cloud mind, shatter mind blank) or are actually described wrongly (personality parasite is a level 4 power, not level 6, shatter mind blank is level 5, not 6), which leads me to believe that the writers of LoM just added the psionics as an afterthought of sorts, with near no concern for balance.

So this is my dilemma: I need to balance this ulitharid just right. He needs to be a completely terrifying threat, but not to the point that he is completely unbeatable. My players are optimizers (and in fact I will probably encourage them to play mostly spellcasters), so that may be a mitigating factor, but for the moment I have no clue just what to do with this monster. I really wanna mess with him, change all useless powers into way more useful stuff, change some of his feats, etc, but at the same time I cannot let his CR get too high for the party.

Originally I intended for the players to begin at level 7, and someone pointed out that a 'boss' NPC is more or less appropriate at the party's level + 4, but I am seriously considering making them start a bit later, perhaps level 9 or 10.

I mean, my main concern here is that everyone should have fun and not completely lose to the CR-inappropriate world-ending ulitharid. I realize that changing at which level the players start could easily alter almost everything balance-wise. The large town of Innsmouth does not get corrupted by cultists, it will get wiped off the map in the Prophet's search for clues of an artifact. The scale of how things work could get radically altered.

But what matters first and foremost is my party's fun, so I would highly appreciate any help.

Flickerdart
2012-09-15, 07:27 PM
Part of what makes a mind flayer scary is their ability to dominate the minds of others. Any self-respecting illithid conqueror would have a cadre of elite minions around him, meaning that you can knock his relative CR down a little to compensate, and whatever you do to him won't swing the encounter difficulty as badly as it would have if he were the only bad guy in the fight.

Crinias
2012-09-15, 09:15 PM
Part of what makes a mind flayer scary is their ability to dominate the minds of others. Any self-respecting illithid conqueror would have a cadre of elite minions around him, meaning that you can knock his relative CR down a little to compensate, and whatever you do to him won't swing the encounter difficulty as badly as it would have if he were the only bad guy in the fight.

Well sure, but I'm kinda more worried about making him too personally dangerous. The whole thing kinda hinges on how difficult it is to give him an appropriate CR. I could make him purposely weaker, I guess, but the question is just how much.

SaintRidley
2012-09-15, 09:34 PM
Rewrite its powers list, for one thing. Take away those useless powers, those ones that are mislabeled in level, etc. and give it new powers. That should make it feel right for a psionic version, first of all.

Secondly, it seems that as written you are worried about it being under-CR'ed, yes? Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried there. So it manifests as a level 13 psion. Really not too big a deal. Personally, I'd even be inclined to throw three levels of Illithid Savant into it just to make it a little more threatening by giving it a few more passive defenses at its disposal and up its stated CR by three. This can help make it feel more powerful without just slapping on more psionics and making it too much more powerful, depending on the skill, feat, and class ability you give it.

Also, make sure it takes Mindsight as a feat. If you want to make a threatening, telepathic, brain-eating monstrosity, Mindsight is a must.

Really, I wouldn't be too concerned about the difference between the psionic and standard versions, particularly if your players are pretty smart. Also, I'm very much on board with the above re: minions.

Consider the Voidmind template (MM3) for some of those minions. Could be leading up to the final fight that your Ulitharid expends some power points through that, leaving it at less than full manifesting capacity, for instance, alleviating a little of your worry.

Crinias
2012-09-15, 10:47 PM
Rewrite its powers list, for one thing. Take away those useless powers, those ones that are mislabeled in level, etc. and give it new powers. That should make it feel right for a psionic version, first of all.
I was kinda in the middle of that when I decided to ask you guys.

Secondly, it seems that as written you are worried about it being under-CR'ed, yes? Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried there. So it manifests as a level 13 psion. Really not too big a deal. Personally, I'd even be inclined to throw three levels of Illithid Savant into it just to make it a little more threatening by giving it a few more passive defenses at its disposal and up its stated CR by three. This can help make it feel more powerful without just slapping on more psionics and making it too much more powerful, depending on the skill, feat, and class ability you give it.
Illithid Savant sounds like a good idea.

Also, make sure it takes Mindsight as a feat. If you want to make a threatening, telepathic, brain-eating monstrosity, Mindsight is a must.
Mindsight, Lords of Madness, got it.

Really, I wouldn't be too concerned about the difference between the psionic and standard versions, particularly if your players are pretty smart. Also, I'm very much on board with the above re: minions.

Consider the Voidmind template (MM3) for some of those minions. Could be leading up to the final fight that your Ulitharid expends some power points through that, leaving it at less than full manifesting capacity, for instance, alleviating a little of your worry.
Voidmind minions I would have never considered, I'll keep it in mind. Minions in general can be so varied I suppose I shall have to go on a case-by-case basis, maybe make different groups of them, each headed by a lieutenant of sorts?

Anyway, thanks you guys!

Spuddles
2012-09-16, 02:18 AM
I think you're over-obsessing about written CRs, especially if you have a party of optimizers playing spellcasters. That's going to be an unfair amount of spells coming from the party.

You should definitely repick all the powers to be highly useful, then give him the linked power metapsionic feat, overchannel, practiced manifester, and schism. That way he can rapidly dump power points at the party while his schism mind blasts.

Crinias
2012-09-16, 08:50 AM
I think you're over-obsessing about written CRs, especially if you have a party of optimizers playing spellcasters. That's going to be an unfair amount of spells coming from the party.

You should definitely repick all the powers to be highly useful, then give him the linked power metapsionic feat, overchannel, practiced manifester, and schism. That way he can rapidly dump power points at the party while his schism mind blasts.

Yeah, the CR was driving me kinda crazy. I'll definitely make him take schism and practiced manifester, maybe some other stuff as well.

I've heard of Illithid Savant before and how it can be used to obtain very broken abilities, what would you guys suggest it should take as part of Illithid Savant? Like, what are some reasonable things to obtain with it?

SaintRidley
2012-09-16, 02:26 PM
Well, with three levels of Illithid Savant, you get to take one creature's skill ranks in one skill even if the ranks exceed your normal limit from your HD, and the skill becomes a permanent class skill, one feat that you qualify for, and one class feature (And Spellcasting counts as a class feature - further info below). You also get Lore 4/day.

I won't really touch on feats or skills. Too variable to consider just yet, so let's look at class features.

If you want something passive, I'd begin by figuring out how much you want to add and considering your party's composition and general tactic. Make them get out of their comfort zone and innovate a bit.

A quick explanation of what you get when you take spellcasting:
At 3rd level, an illithid savant permanently gains one class feature of a consumed brain’s owner, as a character of that creature’s level in that class. If the former character was a spellcaster, the illithid savant is able to cast one spell of each level available to the character (if the victim was a wizard, the mind flayer must still consult a spellbook or learn from scrolls), as well as any bonus spells provideded by the illithid savant’s ability scores. If the illithid savant already has spellcasting levels, these spells are in addition to those granted by the illithid savant’s spellcasting class levels.

I'm just going to pull out a few books and post some interesting class abilities to give you some ideas.

From Heroes of Horror:

Nine Lives, from the Death Delver. This goes really nicely if the Ulitharid can feign being dead when kept alive by this ability. Gives him a chance to let the PCs walk away so he can recuperate, regroup, and force a more favorable outcome.

Spellcasting - Archivist or Dread Necromancer. Personally, I'd go with Archivist because of the sheer range of possible spells to steal (beautiful thing that you basically get to select what level spellcaster), but a Dread Necromancer can offer some very interesting options as well.

From Draconomicon:

Dragon Shape, from Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries. 1 hour Shapechange into any Dragon, Tiny to Huge, so long as it's within your HD limit. Could be fun to pose as, say, a silver dragon and direct the PCs around a bit once your Ulitharid has caught wind of their movements.

Bahamut's Grace, from Platinum Knight. Charisma to saves is always nice.

From Lords of Madness:

Spellcasting, Beholder Mage.

From Races of Destiny:

Bonus Feat, from Chameleon. Unfortunately a feat, but the mutability is nice.

Umbral Blade +5, from Shadow Sentinel. Just sounds cool is all, really.

From Complete Warrior:

Mind over Magic, from Occult Slayer. Eh. Maybe.

From Fiendish Codex II:

Here's a potentially fun one. Invoking from a Hellfire Warlock. You get to invoke as a Warlock of the target's level, and remember: Hellfire Blast basically reads as and functions as an essence invocation dependent on Hellfire Warlock level. Have fun with it, if you can.

From Complete Divine:

Steal Spell-Like Ability, from Ur-Priest.

As I said, these are basically just some thoughts from a few books I grabbed off my shelf. It really depends on what you want.

Another fun option: Uncarnate from the Psion Uncarnate. Rip it from one during their daily minute of corporeality.

Crinias
2012-09-16, 07:31 PM
I had already considered adding in a dread necromancer NPC to the campaign (as either a possible ally or likely antagonist; undead are terrifying to illithids, who rely mainly on mind-affecting abilities), so perhaps this could work out even better: if the ulitharid were to obtain such abilities to control undead (despite the likely huge danger in trying to do so), he would have very few weaknesses.

Obtaining a Beholder Mage's spellcasting would be... well, aside from the difficulty in obtaining one, it would be ridiculously broken to give it to the ulitharid. I would have to be a very evil DM to even consider it, let alone implement it.:smallamused:

Geez, speaking of Beholders, I wonder just what would happen if the ulitharid happened to meet a Beholder Hive Mother? :smalleek: