PDA

View Full Version : [PF / 3.P] A custom dragon class

Zagaroth
2012-09-15, 08:32 PM
For campaign setting historical reasons going back... oh dear lord, 20+ years (Now I feel old) and the current campaign idea, there is cause for one of my players to play as essentially a 'mutant' hatchling dragon who would have an ever growing array of dragon abilities.

So I want to create a flexible class that would do the job of being his dragon race, combined with the Advanced Race Guide. Here's my outlined idea so far.

Design the physical dragon at 1st level via the ARG, size starting small (will have a balanced RP to the other characters, who are basically advanced versions of normal races, with chosen extras selected by me. So the dwarf is even earthier, the elf could almost be a Tolkien elf, etc). Then advance it class wise as so:

Pathfinder type Dragon HD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Dragon)

Breath weapon: 1d6 20' Line or 10'cone, +1d6 every odd level. increase line by 10' and cone by 5' every even level. Pick one element at first level, another at 6th level, 12th level, and the final elemental type at 18th level. At 11th level, pick a 'special' type of BW that does d4 instead of d6s(Negative energy, force, etc), and one every 10 levels after.

As of 2nd level, Gain X Racial Points points per level, to be saved or spent on more racial abilities. (Used to buy increased natural armor, stat increases, spell resistance, spell like abilities, etc)

Size: Medium at level 5, large at level 10, and increase size category by 1 every 5 levels after (this controls the pacing of size instead of letting it be done by RP)

Spellcasting: as of 4th level, gain spells equal to a sorcerer of level/4, but caster level is equal to class level.

So how much RP? I'm currently thinking equal to current class level, to balance against the ever increasing cost of stat increases for stacking abilities.

For spellcasting ability: seemed like a decent compromise between dragon-like progression, and not rendering it utterly useless. Considering dropping it down to 1/3rd level, let him actually cast 3rd level spells as of level 18... which is the point where the party's gish will be casting 6th level spells.

Not a full caster in the bunch. Well, as long as every one has fun, right? Oh, and yes, this should run well into epic levels.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-09-15, 10:39 PM
For campaign setting historical reasons going back... oh dear lord, 20+ years (Now I feel old) and the current campaign idea, there is cause for one of my players to play as essentially a 'mutant' hatchling dragon who would have an ever growing array of dragon abilities.

So I want to create a flexible class that would do the job of being his dragon race, combined with the Advanced Race Guide. Here's my outlined idea so far.

Design the physical dragon at 1st level via the ARG, size starting small (will have a balanced RP to the other characters, who are basically advanced versions of normal races, with chosen extras selected by me. So the dwarf is even earthier, the elf could almost be a Tolkien elf, etc). Then advance it class wise as so:

So how much RP? I'm currently thinking equal to current class level, to balance against the ever increasing cost of stat increases for stacking abilities.

For spellcasting ability: seemed like a decent compromise between dragon-like progression, and not rendering it utterly useless. Considering dropping it down to 1/3rd level, let him actually cast 3rd level spells as of level 18... which is the point where the party's gish will be casting 6th level spells.

Not a full caster in the bunch. Well, as long as every one has fun, right? Oh, and yes, this should run well into epic levels.

You might be interested in this 20-level Dragon progression I wrote for Pathfinder: http://www.kobolds-keep.net/smoke/Generic%20Dragon%20Progression.pdf

Zagaroth
2012-09-25, 11:32 AM
Sorry for the slow reply, I haven't quite had the chance to do this build, but that will definitely help with what I am looking at, thank you. I won't use it exactly as is, but it gives me some more ideas to focus on.