PDA

View Full Version : o_o;; Guys.. My cat is being weird...

Mattarias, King.
2012-09-15, 09:05 PM
...Weirder than usual, at least.

He's been having this habit of grabbing this blue wool "belt" that we have, dragging it to me, and then making sad meowing noises. He never meows! :smallconfused:

So, I do everything I can think of, try to play with him, give him more attention, more food, snackies, etc. But he just keeps holding on to the blue thingy and meowing. Only progress I've made is that occasionally if I hold o to it, he leads me around the house, but that never satisfies him. :smallsigh:

Any advice? Sad cat sounds are depressing. :smallfrown:

noparlpf
2012-09-15, 10:23 PM
...Weirder than usual, at least.

He's been having this habit of grabbing this blue wool "belt" that we have, dragging it to me, and then making sad meowing noises. He never meows! :smallconfused:

So, I do everything I can think of, try to play with him, give him more attention, more food, snackies, etc. But he just keeps holding on to the blue thingy and meowing. Only progress I've made is that occasionally if I hold o to it, he leads me around the house, but that never satisfies him. :smallsigh:

Any advice? Sad cat sounds are depressing. :smallfrown:

You tried playing with him with the belt thingy?

Mattarias, King.
2012-09-15, 10:57 PM
You tried playing with him with the belt thingy?

Yeah. :\ He doesn't seem to care. If I take it from him, he just meows more and tries to take it back. So he doesn't really want to play, it seems.

noparlpf
2012-09-15, 11:03 PM
That is very peculiar. I've got nothing.

JoshL
2012-09-15, 11:04 PM
Our cat used to make the most pathetic, awfully sad meowing noises (she's a pretty vocal cat in general) in the middle of the night. The next morning we would find pens at the side of the bed. Once, we found a mouse in the same place. We figured out she was hunting the pens and leaving them for us. The sad noises (sometimes with the pen in her mouth) were her "I have hunted this thing" noise.

Your cat is probably "hunting" that belt. The sad sounds are Cat Victorious sounds!

noparlpf
2012-09-15, 11:08 PM
Our cat used to make the most pathetic, awfully sad meowing noises (she's a pretty vocal cat in general) in the middle of the night. The next morning we would find pens at the side of the bed. Once, we found a mouse in the same place. We figured out she was hunting the pens and leaving them for us. The sad noises (sometimes with the pen in her mouth) were her "I have hunted this thing" noise.

Your cat is probably "hunting" that belt. The sad sounds are Cat Victorious sounds!

Hmm. My cat yowls a lot when she wants attention, but especially so when she's "killed" one of her toy mice.

Mattarias, King.
2012-09-15, 11:21 PM

:smallconfused: A victory noise? Huh... I'll see how he reacts to praise, then, I guess. Thanks.

Giggling Ghast
2012-09-15, 11:30 PM
Have you tried getting rid of the belt? Maybe not throwing it away, but storing it somewhere away from your house for a day or two?

I would be interested to see if the cat repeats this behaviour with another object.

sktarq
2012-09-16, 05:31 AM
Do you live in an earthquake zone?:smalleek:

On a more serious level is this you only pet?

Juggling Goth
2012-09-16, 11:03 AM
Is he trying to teach you to hunt? I read that that's what cats are doing when they bring you some half-dead thing. Maybe he's depressed because you're a slow learner :smallwink:

Mattarias, King.
2012-09-16, 11:28 AM
Do you live in an earthquake zone?:smalleek:

On a more serious level is this you only pet?

:smallbiggrin: No, no earthquakes here in MA. Yet...

And yeah, Dusty's my first and only pet. ...And no, goldfish don't count.

Is he trying to teach you to hunt? I read that that's what cats are doing when they bring you some half-dead thing. Maybe he's depressed because you're a slow learner :smallwink:

:smallbiggrin: Bahaha, I'll try "hunting it" next time he brings it over, then. I wonder how you "kill" a blue belt thingy...

noparlpf
2012-09-16, 11:51 AM
:smallbiggrin: Bahaha, I'll try "hunting it" next time he brings it over, then. I wonder how you "kill" a blue belt thingy...

You pounce on it and shake it a few times. Then you declare victory by yowling loudly for half an hour. (That's what my cat does anyway.)

Eldan
2012-09-16, 12:54 PM
Yeah. Cats leave small, half-dead animals for their kittens so they can learn how to hunt and kill. Cats never see us hunt and kill anything, so the conclusion is that we are just stupid.

Try taking it wildly shaking it around, maybe. Make a few growling noises.

I have no idea, really.-

An Enemy Spy
2012-09-16, 12:57 PM
You stand on a massive pile of slain blue belts with a scantily clad woman clutching at your legs as you scream your battle cry. Then, and only then will understand what it is to be a common housecat.

Eldan
2012-09-16, 03:25 PM
Brb, need to write down game idea.

Conan, the Catbarian! :smallbiggrin:

Juggling Goth
2012-09-16, 04:59 PM
You pounce on it and shake it a few times. Then you declare victory by yowling loudly for half an hour. (That's what my cat does anyway.)

And if you do this, YouTube vid or it didn't happen :smallbiggrin:

Mynxae
2012-09-17, 02:16 AM
I'm more of a dog person myself, but I think yeah, he thinks you're a kitten. :P

It's so much easier with dogs.. You play tug of war with them, throw a ball, they get it and bring it back, then throw it and repeat again.. Only annoying thing is when you stop throwing it they'll shove the ball in your face and bark at you until you throw it. >.>

Mattarias, King.
2012-09-17, 06:33 PM
:smallbiggrin: Good news! Seems you guys were right!

He woke me up in the wee hours of the morning, mewling with that silly belt of his, and plopped it in front of me. So... I did what any half-asleep crazy person cat would do, and batted it around in no discernible pattern for a few minutes, before finally "pouncing" on it and claiming victory! :smallbiggrin:

He gave me a look that said "FINALLY. He gets it! :smallannoyed:" And then left. :smalltongue: I think I did good.

Sadly, no pics- It was pitch black, and beating up a belt was about as complicated a thing as I could do at that hour. :P

EDIT: Instead, how about a picture?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/574441_468084546549602_1562602055_n.jpg

noparlpf
2012-09-17, 07:35 PM
:smallbiggrin: Good news! Seems you guys were right!

He woke me up in the wee hours of the morning, mewling with that silly belt of his, and plopped it in front of me. So... I did what any half-asleep crazy person cat would do, and batted it around in no discernible pattern for a few minutes, before finally "pouncing" on it and claiming victory! :smallbiggrin:

He gave me a look that said "FINALLY. He gets it! :smallannoyed:" And then left. :smalltongue: I think I did good.

Sadly, no pics- It was pitch black, and beating up a belt was about as complicated a thing as I could do at that hour. :P

EDIT: Instead, how about a picture?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/574441_468084546549602_1562602055_n.jpg

I wish there were a video of that. XD

Serpentine
2012-09-17, 08:30 PM
Awwwwww, kitty! ^_^

I love that we* managed to psychology a cat :biggrin:

*well, you.

Dr.Epic
2012-09-17, 08:33 PM
Hide the belt and see if he can find it.

Alaris
2012-09-18, 10:01 PM
Well yeah, Cats do tend to be a bit weird about that, but that may very well have been it.

I actually have a similar quirk with one of my cats..., well, both of them. It's actually rather funny. We have extra cigarette packs in the house, since a few people smoke, and the cats have taken a liking to them.

Both cats (not simultaneously) will bring the pack over, and meow with it in their mouth, or on the floor in front of you. And they'll keep bugging you until you do something with it. We've taken to throwing it, and essentially made a game of fetch with our 'cats.' But if we don't pet them when they come back with it, they get very unhappy.

Rising Phoenix
2012-09-18, 10:09 PM
As others have said he's trying to teach you to hunt :).

Asta Kask
2012-09-19, 12:24 AM
Or he's trying to make you look like a fool. Either thing works, really.