PDA

View Full Version : Which RPG system would be best for Modelling Unsoundeds magic system

123456789blaaa
2012-09-15, 09:59 PM
The (fantastic) webcomic Unsounded (http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/about) has a very unique, interesting magic system and I was wondering what the playground thinks would be the best RPG system for modelling it.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-09-16, 09:18 AM
I've not yet finished reading the comic, but as far as I can tell the problem with using an RPG to model it is the comic itself doesn't spend any time talking about how magic in the setting works, it just shows magic at work. The real defining factors of magic in a gaming system is its limitations, to which I am given no real hints (though again, I have not yet finished reading the comic, so maybe there's a big explanation later, but I really hope not as this is really the best way to handle magic in fiction). We see magic doing plenty of things, but we never see the stuff that magic *can't* do.

So, with that, my best suggestion is Wushu; It's not for everyone, but due to the way the system works it can get around the lack of defined limitations on magic.

123456789blaaa
2012-09-16, 12:20 PM
I've not yet finished reading the comic, but as far as I can tell the problem with using an RPG to model it is the comic itself doesn't spend any time talking about how magic in the setting works, it just shows magic at work. The real defining factors of magic in a gaming system is its limitations, to which I am given no real hints (though again, I have not yet finished reading the comic, so maybe there's a big explanation later, but I really hope not as this is really the best way to handle magic in fiction). We see magic doing plenty of things, but we never see the stuff that magic *can't* do.

So, with that, my best suggestion is Wushu; It's not for everyone, but due to the way the system works it can get around the lack of defined limitations on magic.

Actually the comic does explain, you probably haven't gotten that far yet. The author's formspring (much more in depth than the comic and wiki page but it takes forever to find the explanations) and wiki page (http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Pymary) also explain the magic system.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-09-17, 03:57 AM
Hmm, just from the wiki page, non-graywright pymary sounds like a good fit for GURPS's default magic system. You may have to homebrew up a new spell list yourself, but the actual mechanics of learning and casting magic sound very similar.