PDA

View Full Version : choices choices

robertbevan
2012-09-16, 02:43 AM
our party just got wiped out, so it's time to make a new character.

i've got four sets of stats that i'm trying to choose between. i'm open to playing any sort of character (sticking mostly to core).

STR: 11
DEX: 11
CON: 6
INT: 11
WIS: 9
CHA: 7

STR: 7
DEX: 9
CON: 12
INT: 10
WIS: 15
CHA: 10

STR: 16
DEX: 8
CON: 14
INT: 14
WIS: 9
CHA: 12

STR: 10
DEX: 16
CON: 15
INT: 11
WIS: 10
CHA: 6

i'm pretty sure the first one is not even worth considering. average or less in everything, and some horrible con.

the second one might make a crappy cleric.

so i'm leaning toward the last two, and thinking half-orc barbarian... or maybe fighter.

but yeah, i'm open to other ideas from fresh pairs of eyes. any suggestions?

rot42
2012-09-16, 04:24 AM
The third set might work as a Duskblade (Player's Handbook II), though running around in light armor with a Dex penalty might be hazardous to your health.

The third set meets the Int requirement for Combat Expertise, so you could build a tripping fighter, but you would lack the Dex for making use of Combat Reflexes.

The second one could work as a Druid, especially with a Con-boosting race. More entangle and less shillelagh in the early levels.

Was this 3d6 straight down, choose your favorite set of ability scores?

robertbevan
2012-09-16, 05:46 AM
Was this 3d6 straight down, choose your favorite set of ability scores?

yes. we like to encourage ourselves to go random so that it forces us to try new things.

Acanous
2012-09-16, 06:03 AM
Second the idea for Druid. A 15 in your casting stat gueruntees you'll have your 9ths on time. Your save DCs won't be great, but they'll be workable, and you're probably going to be wild-shaped into a bear, sharing your buffs with your bear companion while also summoning a bear.

hymer
2012-09-16, 06:09 AM
@ Acanous: He'll be riding a bear too, won't he? And wearing one for a coat? And summoning some bear cavalry? I don't get to play druid nearly as often as I'd like.

@ OP: I'd like to throw in the idea of something as simple as a half-orc barbarian with the third array. My first thought when I saw that was actually some sort of gish, of course, but that's already been mentioned.

Edit: I already crossed the line, so here goes ('bear' with me if you will): Yo bear, we heard you like bears, so we put a bear on your bear so you can bear while you bear.

robertbevan
2012-09-16, 06:25 AM
thanks guys. i'm really glad i posted this question here. i'm going to give that druid some serious thought. i don't think i've ever played a druid before.