PDA

View Full Version : Ironwood Knight [PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-16, 08:08 AM
Concept:
A Full B.A.B. Class that advances Druid casting. Gives Heavy Armour Proficiency with some special ability for wearing things and wielding things made of Ironwood, and as a final ability maybe every spell he casts with the Wood Descriptor makes the wood Ironwood. Maybe 5 levels.

Prerequisites:
B.A.B. +5
Spells: Cast 3rd Level Druid spells, At least 3 with the Wood Descriptor.
Special: Must have used or wore a weapon, shield or armour made of Ironwood for the last level.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Perhaps a Cavalier/Druid Combo, by making the Challenge ability a prerequisite?

Sir_Chivalry
2012-09-16, 11:45 AM
Concept:
A Full B.A.B. Class that advances Druid casting. Gives Heavy Armour Proficiency with some special ability for wearing things and wielding things made of Ironwood, and as a final ability maybe every spell he casts with the Wood Descriptor makes the wood Ironwood. Maybe 5 levels.

Prerequisites:
B.A.B. +5
Special: Must have used or wore a weapon, shield or armour made of Ironwood for the last level.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Is this a start?:smallconfused:

Ironwood Knight
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Class Ability|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Iron Resolve|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Class Ability|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Steadfast Iron|-

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Lord of the Iron Forest|+1 level of divine spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills
The ironwood knight’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level
4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the ironwood knight prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
An ironwood knight is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, heavy armour and shields.

Iron Resolve: At 2nd level, an ironwood knight wearing a suit of armour made from ironwood gains DR equal to twice his class level. This DR is overcome by cold iron, as this power is granted to him by the mysterious "fey of the iron forest", the lords who sponsor his order.

Steadfast Iron: At 4th level, the ironwood knight's Iron Resolve ability improves. The DR is now overcome only by adamantine, the ironwood being too strong from his empowerment by his order. Also, any ironwood weapon wielded or armour worn, as well as being ironwood, is treated as adamantine while in the possession of the ironwood knight.

Lord of the Iron Forest: At 5th level, an ironwood knight gains the ability to augment his casting of [wood] descriptor spells. Any such spell he casts is made up of Ironwood instead.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-16, 12:50 PM
Is this a start?:smallconfused:

Ironwood Knight
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Class Ability|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Iron Resolve|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Class Ability|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Steadfast Iron|-

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|

Class Skills
The ironwood knight’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

An ironwood knight is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, heavy armour and shields.

Iron Resolve: At 2nd level, an ironwood knight wearing a suit of armour made from ironwood gains DR equal to twice his class level. This DR is overcome by cold iron, as this power is granted to him by the mysterious "fey of the iron forest", the lords who sponsor his order.

Steadfast Iron: At 4th level, the ironwood knight's Iron Resolve ability improves. The DR is now overcome only by adamantine, the ironwood being too strong from his empowerment by his order. Also, any ironwood weapon wielded or armour worn, as well as being ironwood, is treated as adamantine while in the possession of the ironwood knight.

Lord of the Iron Forest: At 5th level, an ironwood knight gains the ability to augment his casting of [wood] descriptor spells. Any such spell he casts is made up of Ironwood instead.

O_O
WOW
I just, I thought I'd get advice on what people think of it, I never thought, Wow, Thanks as well, but WOW. How can I ever thank you, you took what I was thinking, and made it into something, that works. As for the remaining class ability parts, maybe a bonus to hit equal to his level so long as the weapon is made of Ironwood, and the ability to advance the companion?

Some changes I was tinkering with before I checked here:

Prerequisites:
Feats: Heavy Armour Proficiency
Spells: Must be able to cast 3rd Level Druid spells.
Special: Must own a set of Heavy Ironwood Armour that they have made themselves, or assisted in making.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-09-16, 02:48 PM
O_O
WOW
I just, I thought I'd get advice on what people think of it, I never thought, Wow, Thanks as well, but WOW. How can I ever thank you, you took what I was thinking, and made it into something, that works. As for the remaining class ability parts, maybe a bonus to hit equal to his level so long as the weapon is made of Ironwood, and the ability to advance the companion?

Some changes I was tinkering with before I checked here:

Prerequisites:
Feats: Heavy Armour Proficiency
Spells: Must be able to cast 3rd Level Druid spells.
Special: Must own a set of Heavy Ironwood Armour that they have made themselves, or assisted in making.

Side point, Ironwood is a 6th level spell. It does not create items of permanent duration, they revert after 1 day/level. If you want permanent stuff, use bronzewood from Eberron.

So where do we go from here then?

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-16, 05:38 PM
Side point, Ironwood is a 6th level spell. It does not create items of permanent duration, they revert after 1 day/level. If you want permanent stuff, use bronzewood from Eberron.

So where do we go from here then?

I dunno, I focused on this part of the spell:
"Using this spell with wood shape or a wood-related Craft check, you can fashion wooden items that function as steel items. Thus, wooden plate armor and wooden swords can be created that are as durable as their normal steel counterparts. These items are freely usable by druids."
And I think it's up to you, I believe that it's not the one who makes the concept but does the work that should be in charge, so long as the views stay the same. Up to you.

Admiral Squish
2012-09-16, 07:05 PM
Well, perhaps that's the first ability, then? The ironwood knight makes his or her own set of permanent ironwood armor, or gets granted a set of bronzewood armor. Or perhaps it even allows the knight to turn normal wood armor and weapons into ironwood, but only as long as they wield them? Maybe it allows them to make/grow/reshape ironwood weapons and such, too?

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-17, 01:36 PM
Well, perhaps that's the first ability, then? The ironwood knight makes his or her own set of permanent ironwood armor, or gets granted a set of bronzewood armor. Or perhaps it even allows the knight to turn normal wood armor and weapons into ironwood, but only as long as they wield them? Maybe it allows them to make/grow/reshape ironwood weapons and such, too?

So sort of a "All wooden items are Ironwood so long as they are in the Ironwood Knights possession"

SamBurke
2012-09-17, 01:48 PM
Concept:

Prerequisites:
B.A.B. +5

Thoughts? Ideas?

There'd have to be some penalties... even with the Nerfbat, Druids had some good options for melee, and you wouldn't want to give them full casting progression.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-17, 01:51 PM
There'd have to be some penalties... even with the Nerfbat, Druids had some good options for melee, and you wouldn't want to give them full casting progression.

*See Above*
by Sir_Chivalry
Misses two levels of casting in a 5 level prestige class.
He's done an amazing job.

Admiral Squish
2012-09-17, 05:07 PM
Hmm... Mind if I take this idea and run with it? I could see an ACF, or possibly even a whole class getting made out of this concept. I doubt wither would really work with what you were lookin' for, but it's your idea, I don't wanna go stealin' it without asking.

SamBurke
2012-09-17, 05:33 PM
*See Above*
by Sir_Chivalry
Misses two levels of casting in a 5 level prestige class.
He's done an amazing job.

Aaaand derp me. That is a fantastic piece of work.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-18, 06:21 AM
Hmm... Mind if I take this idea and run with it? I could see an ACF, or possibly even a whole class getting made out of this concept. I doubt wither would really work with what you were lookin' for, but it's your idea, I don't wanna go stealin' it without asking.

By all means, my only request is to see the finished work.
I am not so stubborn to hold an idea when someone could do it better than I, as Sir_Chivalry has well shown. But I am loathe to miss something that seems really cool.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-18, 06:22 AM
Aaaand derp me. That is a fantastic piece of work.

I shall do no such thing, but yes, it well and truly is.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-09-18, 06:30 AM

Feel free to take my little half-finished idea and do something with it, I just punched it out in ten minutes before lunch, I'm sure there's improvement to be had

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-19, 10:04 AM
Added Ability at 1st level.
"Ironwood Aura" (Su): The Knight of the Ironwood Order turns any wooden or metal objects they are in contact with into Ironwood, the items keep this quality so long as they are on the Knights person.

Changed Name: Ironwood Knight to Knight of the Ironwood Order

Added as yet unnamed Ability, (Name?), A Knight of the Ironwood Order who uses a weapon made of Ironwood gains a bonus to hit and damage equal to their Knight of the Ironwood Order level.

Knight of the Ironwood Order
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Ironwood Aura |+1 level of divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Iron Resolve|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|(Name?)|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Steadfast Iron|-

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|

Class Skills
The Knight of the Ironwood Order's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

A Knight of the Ironwood Order is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, heavy armour and shields.

Ironwood Aura (Su): At 1st level a Knight of the Ironwood Order radiates an aura that turns any wooden or metal objects they are in contact with into Ironwood, the items keep this quality so long as they are on the knights person.

Iron Resolve: At 2nd level, a Knight of the Ironwood Order wearing a suit of armour made from ironwood gains DR equal to twice his class level. This DR is overcome by cold iron, as this power is granted to him by the mysterious "fey of the iron forest", the lords who sponsor his order.

(Name?): A Knight of the Ironwood Order who uses a weapon made of Ironwood gains a bonus to hit and damage equal to their Knight of the Ironwood Order level.

Steadfast Iron: At 4th level, the Knight of the Ironwood Order's Iron Resolve ability improves. The DR is now overcome only by adamantine, the ironwood being too strong from his empowerment by his order. Also, any ironwood weapon wielded or armour worn, as well as being ironwood, is treated as adamantine while in the possession of the ironwood knight.

Lord of the Iron Forest: At 5th level, a Knight of the Ironwood Order gains the ability to augment his casting of [wood] descriptor spells. Any such spell he casts is made up of Ironwood instead.

Yakk
2012-09-20, 10:07 AM
Suggestion:
(1) Note that the first level of this PrC is strictly better than a level of Druid. The single-level splash problem.

So move the +1 spellcasting level to 2 and 4. (I know, lose 3 spellcasting levels, ik!) Then compensate with some magical boostery.

First, add a spell list. Because spell lists are fun. If you have 1 level of Ironwood knight, you can spontaneously cast spells from this list as divine spells from your main spellcasting class.

We can then shuffle a number of class features into this spell list. Such as "metal to wood", "sustain ironwood", "rapid growth", "heart of ironwood" spells.

Second, your "wood produced by divine magic is ironwood" feature.

Third, give something like free metamagic points. Ie, they can infuse spells with 1 a level of metamagic for free. They lose 3 spellcasting levels (and hence 1.5 max spell level), so having 1 point of free metamagic ends up being partial compensation. You could tie this to the martial/ironwood part of the class.

Ironwood Wand: You can cast Somatic component spells using a hand that is holding an ironwood object, such as a wand or a sword.

Badly worded, but:
Improved Ironwood Wand: Pick a metamagic effect and an ironwood object (unique, can change). When using that ironwood object to cast a spell, you can use that metamagic effect at 1 lower level of cost...

Meh. Only really works for spontaneous casters or cost-1 metamagic, sadly, which means either we punt, or we have to throw in some pseudo-spontaneous metamagic language. Ie, where you burn a level X+Y spell to infuse your ironwood wand with Y charges of a level X metamagic effect, which you can then burn to cast spells...

Alternatively, we could add some "deliver a spell with a swordblow" type stuff, ala Duskblade.

Forth, none of the Prerequisites have any real cost, other than tracking down ironwood items. Proficiency in a martial weapon, and proficiency in medium or heavy armor?

I don't like Ironwood Aura as a level 1 ability. Being able to convert wood to ironwood is good, but it happening "poof" when the Knight touches it is sort of meh.

The untyped bonus to-hit and damage might be a bit much if we compare this to a martial class. You could go with free enhancement on ironwood.

Speaking of which, no HD. :)