PDA

View Full Version : Help with metamagic rods and whatnot

Leafcharm
2012-09-16, 09:34 AM
Greetings, I'm new to the forums as a poster, but have been skulking around for quite a while now. :smallbiggrin:

And I wanted to ask, has there ever been a Metamagic Rod of Twin Spell? And if there is, what book has it? And if there isn't, how much would it cost if there ever was one?

Endelehia
2012-09-16, 10:31 AM
I don't know if there is actually a Twin Spell rod in a book,but the cost of metamagic rods depends on how many spell slots higher than normal they use.So a Twin Spell will cost as much as Quicken rod:
35,000 gp (lesser)
75,500 gp (normal)
170,000 gp (greater)

Leafcharm
2012-09-16, 11:11 AM
It's not surprising there's no actual Rod of Twin Spell. But thank you for that reply.

Also, in case I end up making a list of custom Rods that I might show my DM, where can I find the table for the Rod costs?

ericgrau
2012-09-16, 11:20 AM
Finding existing rods with the same level adjustment is probably your best bet.

Cruiser1
2012-09-16, 11:46 AM
where can I find the table for the Rod costs?
See the SRD for Metamagic Rod costs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicRods), for Rods of +1 through +4 spell level adjustment. For example, if you want a Metamagic Rod of Widen Spell (which also isn't printed anywhere) then use the costs for the Metamagic Rod of Empower Spell (which like Widen is also +2 spell level).

MrLemon
2012-09-16, 12:31 PM
For massive uselessness, I plotted the costs of metamagic rods against the Spell level increase of the corresponding Metamagic.

Then I extrapolated the costs beyond +4 with a 2nd grade polynomial fit (i.e. A+B*Costs+C*Costs˛), you know, for fun.

A Lesser metamagic +X rod costs:
8750 - 8650*X + 3750*X˛
A Normal metamagic +X rod costs:
-10500 + 21500*X
A Greater metamagic +X rod costs:
-24000 + 48500*X

Not how normal and greater Rods follow linear patterns, and lesser rods don't? There clearly was no definite logic here :smallamused:

For that matter, a hypothetical +8 Metamagic rod (Rod of Quick Twin Spell) is cheaper than the lesser version ;)

Futher ramblings: The polynomial fit for the lesser rods does not actually fit the data very well. A Linear fit up to +3 works pretty good however.

A Lesser metamagic +X rod should cost, considering mathematical consistency:
-2350+ 5500*X

So, save this post and buy lesser metamagic rods of Quicken Spell for -2350+5500*4=19650g.
If your DM protests just yell "I DID IT SCIENCE!!!!"

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/1193/metamagicrodcosts.png

Leafcharm
2012-09-16, 01:07 PM
For massive uselessness, I plotted the costs of metamagic rods against the Spell level increase of the corresponding Metamagic.

Then I extrapolated the costs beyond +4 with a 2nd grade polynomial fit (i.e. A+B*Costs+C*Costs˛), you know, for fun.

A Lesser metamagic +X rod costs:
8750 - 8650*X + 3750*X˛
A Normal metamagic +X rod costs:
-10500 + 21500*X
A Greater metamagic +X rod costs:
-24000 + 48500*X

Not how normal and greater Rods follow linear patterns, and lesser rods don't? There clearly was no definite logic here :smallamused:

For that matter, a hypothetical +8 Metamagic rod (Rod of Quick Twin Spell) is cheaper than the lesser version ;)

Futher ramblings: The polynomial fit for the lesser rods does not actually fit the data very well. A Linear fit up to +3 works pretty good however.

A Lesser metamagic +X rod should cost, considering mathematical consistency:
-2350+ 5500*X

So, save this post and buy lesser metamagic rods of Quicken Spell for -2350+5500*4=19650g.
If your DM protests just yell "I DID IT SCIENCE!!!!"

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/1193/metamagicrodcosts.png

LOL. Wow, didn't expect things to escalate like this. But that's a very interesting method. I have to say, Rods have some inconsistent costs. Looking over the DMG and Complete Arcane, a Rod of Extend and Rod of Sculpting have totally different prices despite the costs being the same.

I'll see if I can use your method on my DM later. There's probably going to be a lot of yelling later. :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2012-09-16, 03:36 PM
Excellent work MrLemon.
I note that a +8 Lesser Rod costs more than a +8 Normal Rod.
Now the highest adjustment I'm aware of is +6 for Persist, unless:

You could make a Rod with multiple meta magic effects ?

You could make a Rod of Heighten or Fortify and pre-set the level bump ?