PDA

View Full Version : Smiling Dark Elf

AlaskaOOTSFan
2012-09-16, 12:24 PM
Ok, I admit it.

At 1st I as all "Awwwwwwwwwwwwww I want to pat his head".

And then I was all "That is a creepy happy".

And now it's back to "Awwwwwwwww".

Have we never seen an elf smile in the comic? Again, a happy smile, not a cruel-smile.

Still, for some reason he seems so cute, and I have no idea why.

Water_Bear
2012-09-16, 12:40 PM
He just looks so contented, almost serene. Probably a lot more than I would be if someone was dabbing magical virgin heart goop on my ears. Then he goes right back to frowning by the next pannel. :smallfrown:

I don't really know how Rich makes those stick figures so expressive, it's actually kind of bizarre. My only guess is that it has something to do with giving only as much detail as needed, and letting the reader fill in the rest? Either way, bravo.

Mike Havran
2012-09-16, 01:19 PM
Have we never seen an elf smile in the comic? Again, a happy smile, not a cruel-smile.

Here is one. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0172.html) Although the reason for smile may not be pure happiness.

I agree that Z's smile is somewhat heartwarming. The drow probably isn't completely rotten inside.

IW Judicator
2012-09-16, 03:55 PM
It's almost like a puppy getting its tummy rubbed. Admittedly a doom puppy being rubbed by an iron fisted tyrant who's applying a liberal dose of evil cleric in a can but...still a puppy. (Though that does beg the question...if the contents are 71% magic and requires the heart of a virgin sacrificed on their wedding night, how likely is it that it is LITERALLY 'Cleric in a Can')?

brilliantlight
2012-09-17, 12:42 AM
Here is one. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0172.html) Although the reason for smile may not be pure happiness.

I agree that Z's smile is somewhat heartwarming. The drow probably isn't completely rotten inside.

Yeah, good old V. She really likes Haley and (to a lesser extent) Elan so was happy to see a budding romance between them. I imagine at this point she was wishing Haley would hurry it up a bit.

ChowGuy
2012-09-17, 07:01 AM
(Though that does beg the question...if the contents are 71% magic and requires the heart of a virgin sacrificed on their wedding night, how likely is it that it is LITERALLY 'Cleric in a Can')?

Technically the Virgin Heart is listed under "inactive ingredients" (well inactive now) so it's probably not required but just there for flavoring. Which given Tarquin's tastes for dramatic "flavor" makes that a strong possibility.

konradknox
2012-09-17, 05:46 PM
Z is smiling because he could taste the heart's sweet juices.

GameZone
2012-09-17, 06:46 PM
Z is smiling because he could taste the heart's sweet juices.

SHE, not he.

Water_Bear
2012-09-17, 07:08 PM
SHE, not he.

Nope, Z is confirmed as male. Has been for a long time.

It actually fits pretty well; male Drow have Wizard as their favored class, while female Drow have Cleric as their favored class. As far as I know they are the only race whose favored classes are broken down by gender, but it fits their gender segregated society perfectly.

ghoul-n
2012-09-17, 08:43 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0128.html

Here is genuinely smiling V just for all you V-haters .______.

librisrouge
2012-09-17, 09:09 PM
See, he's capable of the full spectrum of genuine elfin emotion and don't you let anybody tell you otherwise.

Viva La V!

Fitzclowningham
2012-09-17, 11:36 PM
Nope, Z is confirmed as male. Has been for a long time.

It actually fits pretty well; male Drow have Wizard as their favored class, while female Drow have Cleric as their favored class. As far as I know they are the only race whose favored classes are broken down by gender, but it fits their gender segregated society perfectly.

Goes all the way back to 1st ed. I wonder, whatever happened to Lolth.?

AShadowofLife
2012-09-18, 01:39 PM
Is it confirmed V is a female? D:

Winter
2012-09-19, 06:10 AM
Is it confirmed V is a female? D:

As far as we know, it's confirmed it will not be confirmed.

turbo164
2012-09-19, 02:46 PM
Another smiling V:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0398.html

Studoku
2012-09-21, 06:57 PM
I can confirm this.

martianmister
2012-09-23, 10:24 AM

FAQ is outdated, so it's not confirmed it will not be confirmed.

Winter
2012-09-23, 10:54 AM

To that I can say: Buy the books and read the comments. Something along those lines is somewhere in there.

Emperordaniel
2012-09-23, 12:47 PM

Can you confirm that?