PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Psyren
2013-08-01, 06:47 PM
It was in T.K. Baha's audio logs. He gets one from Blake in which he's informed that Hyperion sent assassins after Baha, and offers to get them to safety before his employers kill him.

Nothing nice like that. Blake basically advises Baha to get out of dodge. He couldn't care less whether the assassins actually kill him, but with him safely out of the way Hyperion could publish his wave rifle designs themselves.

There's also some ECHO logs scattered around Fyrestone where Mr. Blake had offered Dr. Zed money and strongly suggesting that he leave ASAP. Zed was reluctant to move out, so Mr. Blake showed him photos of the Hyperion invasion of New Haven (which Zed thought were faked.)

That's weird. Didn't Zed go to New Haven after Fyrestone? Or am I not understanding?

Callos_DeTerran
2013-08-01, 06:57 PM
Aww, you fell for Jack's manipulation, didn't you? Angel's mother "disappeared" after she tried to get the Angel project shut down. Jack stuffed his daughter into that machine and when his wife objected, he killed her.

Actually I was referring to how Jack probably remembers events, but I don't remember those Echoes actually. The only ones I got related to Angel were during the 'Get to Know Jack' quest which was more ambivalent about if Jack had killed her or not.

Where's those Echoes at? I haven't found nearly as many of those as I should have.

Source? Because he tells her to stop helping the VH in Overlook (when you're arranging for the Fast Travel to be deployed there) and she continue to help anyway.

He demands to know what she's doing and says 'okay, you don't need to help them anymore Angel' in Overlook, but at the end of it he gives her a direct order to stop but by then the damage is done.

Also, the moment he put it on Lilith she was unable to attack him and was forced to attack the VH (though she managed to subvert it enough to just teleport the VHs away).

In BL2? The only mention I ever saw of Blake was that Echo from Jack's past.

There's the Echoes from Jack's past, the ones in New Haven, the one in the TK Baha quest, and then there's out of game info that mentions that Blake is still the Vice President of Hyperion even if Jack treats him like just a butler. Blake has no trouble killing people, but only for benefit or profit. That's the characterization I got of him from the Echoes I saw.

I think if you add up all the Hyperion tech (robots, personnel, infrastructure like turrets, all the transport trains etc.) that the VH destroy, it would at the very least even out if not tip the balance in the VH's favor. And bear in mind that while all the destruction is canon, a skilled player doesn't ever have to die.

Maybe, we're not really sure how much money he gets from bringing people back. It could be more then the VHs are charged in game.

I'm referring to when he shocked her or whatever and she screamed over the Echo. You see an image of her that is very obviously in pain, followed by an angry Jack.

Right. Again, from Jack's point of view, he's not abusing her at all which is what I mean.

Meh. She's got nice guns but nothing special beyond that - no siren powers, no tech savvy etc.

Not necessarily true, after she left the Hodunks she was left alone on Pandora with at least two hungry kids to feed. She's admitted to killing people quite often, is able to organize all the Slaughterdomes and what not, and in one of the conversations you have with her Moxxi reminisces about how she wishes she was still in the prime so she could be on the frontlines with you and she's one of the people with a very accurate idea of how Badass the VHs are so she obviously thinks she can keep up.

...'Sides, Axton and Salvador don't have anything really special beyond 'be good with guns' or 'have turret to deploy'. I think Moxxi could be made into a viable Vault Hunter! Or at least a hilarious one.

Triscuitable
2013-08-01, 06:59 PM
Actually Blake just suggests that Baha leaves, he doesn't offer any sort of transportation.

There's also some ECHO logs scattered around Fyrestone where Mr. Blake had offered Dr. Zed money and strongly suggesting that he leave ASAP. Zed was reluctant to move out, so Mr. Blake showed him photos of the Hyperion invasion of New Haven (which Zed thought were faked.)

Plus, Blake was quite helpful in Claptrap's Robot Revolution, supplying the Vault Hunters with armaments (albeit with a bit of hesitation, as they'd just slaughtered a couple dozen Hyperion troops).

Logic
2013-08-01, 10:22 PM
If he wants to play as Claptrap I'd say he's more of a masochist, myself... :smallbiggrin:

Fine, he's also a masochist, but he wants us all to suffer through more claptrap. Therefore my previous statement is still valid.

Anteros
2013-08-01, 10:23 PM
Fine, he's also a masochist, but he wants us all to suffer through more claptrap. Therefore my previous statement is still valid.

Suffer? Claptrap is the best character in Borderlands. He brings the funny.

Besides, the playable characters in Borderlands hardly ever speak. If anything you'll be hearing him talk a lot less by making him playable.

Edit: So I came across a plausible explanation for the New-U stuff today. Let's say Angel was hacking the system so that Jack couldn't shut them down on you. Then, you kill her so the system stops being hacked giving him a small window of time to permanently kill Roland. Immediately after this, he takes Lillith, and wires her into his systems, giving her the opportunity to manipulate the New-U devices for you instead. It explains why Roland stays dead but no one else ever does...as well as why Jack stays dead at the end.

Of course, none of that is actually canon...but still.

Alex Knight
2013-08-01, 11:18 PM
Actually I was referring to how Jack probably remembers events, but I don't remember those Echoes actually. The only ones I got related to Angel were during the 'Get to Know Jack' quest which was more ambivalent about if Jack had killed her or not.

Where's those Echoes at? I haven't found nearly as many of those as I should have.

When you're attacking the Info Stockade, Jack says that he "had to put Angel in the machine, after what she did to her mother."

In "getting to know Jack", Angel asks where mommy is as Jack is stuffing her into the machine and Jack says "Mommy's not coming back". In another ECHO, a flunky says that Jack's wife wanted the Angel project stopped before she died...and Jack strangles him for mentioning his wife.

ScrambledBrains
2013-08-01, 11:40 PM
So...not to distract from the New-U conversation, or anything about Jack's motives...

But has anyone else been getting ridiculously good drops recently/since they downloaded Krieg/on their Krieg file?

Recently I have acquired on my file with him not one, not two, but three orange-level gear drops(The first one was an electric Rubberized Bouncing Bonny[Dropped from a Loot Midget in that area of Tundra Express with the prospectors], the second was a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot[Dropped from a random Chubby Spiderant in The Dust], and just now, I got a Two Fer Maggie from Mick Zaford, and I only farmed him 9 or so times, which is pretty good.). I'm just wondering if I'm getting extremely lucky, or if this is for everyone. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2013-08-02, 12:26 AM
Ever since I got Gibbed it's hard to pay attention to drops anymore honestly. Yay PC gaming!

He demands to know what she's doing and says 'okay, you don't need to help them anymore Angel' in Overlook, but at the end of it he gives her a direct order to stop but by then the damage is done.
Also, the moment he put it on Lilith she was unable to attack him and was forced to attack the VH (though she managed to subvert it enough to just teleport the VHs away).

Angel still helps you afterward, so the "direct order" is clearly bunk.
And Lilith never attacks you, she simply teleports you all away. If he could have made her fought you, he would have done so in the Warrior's Chamber.

There's the Echoes from Jack's past, the ones in New Haven, the one in the TK Baha quest, and then there's out of game info that mentions that Blake is still the Vice President of Hyperion even if Jack treats him like just a butler. Blake has no trouble killing people, but only for benefit or profit. That's the characterization I got of him from the Echoes I saw.

I know about all those, but they don't support your point. None of those were him "undermining" Jack. Standing back so he shoots himself in the foot maybe, but no actual opposition.

Maybe, we're not really sure how much money he gets from bringing people back. It could be more then the VHs are charged in game.

Which makes no sense. Where would the shortfall be coming from?
Not to mention the machines even have special messages if you die with no money.

Right. Again, from Jack's point of view, he's not abusing her at all which is what I mean.

That doesn't exactly contradict my statement that he needs to do more reading on the Evil Overlord list :smalltongue:

Not necessarily true, after she left the Hodunks she was left alone on Pandora with at least two hungry kids to feed. She's admitted to killing people quite often, is able to organize all the Slaughterdomes and what not, and in one of the conversations you have with her Moxxi reminisces about how she wishes she was still in the prime so she could be on the frontlines with you and she's one of the people with a very accurate idea of how Badass the VHs are so she obviously thinks she can keep up.

...'Sides, Axton and Salvador don't have anything really special beyond 'be good with guns' or 'have turret to deploy'. I think Moxxi could be made into a viable Vault Hunter! Or at least a hilarious one.

Salvador can digistruct ammo directly into his guns/launchers and even digistruct copies of his grenades. He can also withstand enough gunfire to level a city. That's plenty special to me.

Axton's turrets are far more advanced than Roland's, and even that loser was better than Moxxi.

I'm not saying she'd be totally useless in a fight, and heck, I'm sure Marcus and even Zed know their way around a gun too. But they're all past their prime. No shame in NPC-land.

Anteros
2013-08-02, 02:34 AM
I could see them making Moxxi into a character. It's implied that she's pretty tough several times throughout both games. Not saying that they will, or even that they should...but I wouldn't consider it completely ridiculous if they did.

SiuiS
2013-08-02, 11:39 AM

She would totally have double the backpack space of anyone else. Have you seen what comes out of that woman's cleavage?!

Geno9999
2013-08-02, 11:47 AM
She would totally have double the backpack space of anyone else. Have you seen what comes out of that woman's cleavage?!

Hmm...
Okay, one tree dedicated to carrying more stuff. Be it guns, grenades, ammo, whatever.

Another is geared towards inflicting elemental damage (most of Moxxi's weapons are Maliwan brand.)

The last tree is focused on healing, either from inflicting damage, or simply through passive regen.

Douglas
2013-08-02, 11:49 AM
Hmm...
Okay, one tree dedicated to carrying more stuff. Be it guns, grenades, ammo, whatever.

Another is geared towards inflicting elemental damage (most of Moxxi's weapons are Maliwan brand.)

The last tree is focused on healing, either from inflicting damage, or simply through passive regen.
And her action skill?

Geno9999
2013-08-02, 12:53 PM
And her action skill?

How about something like Maya's Thoughtlock (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Thoughtlock), where she can convert enemy. Maybe one of the trees (or scatter it across all three trees,) also adds how many targets you can convert, duration/cooldown, maybe shared shields and increased health regen, etc.

Though all of this sounds like a heavily modded Maya.

Anteros
2013-08-03, 10:13 AM
She does strike me as a Siren type character. Hmm...I guess all the main females in Borderlands are typecast.

Triscuitable
2013-08-03, 03:18 PM
She does strike me as a Siren type character. Hmm...I guess all the main females in Borderlands are typecast.

Except for Gaige.

factotum
2013-08-03, 03:42 PM
Except for Gaige.

Or Tiny Tina, or Helena Pearce (if Moxxi is a "main character" then those two qualify as well!).

Psyren
2013-08-03, 04:31 PM
Helena sucks and Gaige/Tina are gearheads. Moxxi can outfight Helena I'm sure but I don't think that makes her good enough to be a VH.

NeoVid
2013-08-03, 04:56 PM
Anyone could outfight Helena, since she's dead.

Triscuitable
2013-08-03, 06:06 PM

Dohohohoho.

Anteros
2013-08-03, 08:37 PM
How is Helena a main character? Was she ever even actually on the screen at any given point? I could see the argument for Tiny Tina...although she's so young that it's hard to really find that point compelling. It's a completely different niche that she fills.

I have no experience with Gaige. I already have 3 vault hunters that I never play as...I don't need to pay money for 2 more I won't use.

As for Moxxi...it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out in BL3 that she's a Siren. Either keeping it a secret, or only recently having her powers awakened. It would be absolutely ridiculous from a plot perspective...but it's Borderlands so that's standard. Of course, I don't even think that they should make her playable. It's just a fun conversation topic.

Triscuitable
2013-08-03, 10:05 PM
As for Moxxi...it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out in BL3 that she's a Siren. Either keeping it a secret, or only recently having her powers awakened. It would be absolutely ridiculous from a plot perspective...but it's Borderlands so that's standard. Of course, I don't even think that they should make her playable. It's just a fun conversation topic.

It would surprise me for several reasons:

Sirens always have tattoos on their left arms. Moxxi's bare left arm has been previously seen.
You're born as a Siren. Lilith as a child was acknowledged by her father as such while he lay dying.
Weak writing. Borderlands is clever, but it does not create plot points out of nothing.

SiuiS
2013-08-03, 11:03 PM
Hmm...

Tree? I've heard "great tracts if land" but never "trees" before!
But no, seriously, it's just her boobs. Let her start with an extra gun slot and some back pack space.

The character type Moxxi most resembles? Standard would be assassin. She's the villainess from a spy movie; overly sexed, cute speech, smiles sultrily while drilling you full of holes with her machine guns.

Outside of core, she's a psycho. Well, bandit. She's bloodthirsty, sadistic, possibly masochistic too... She would blend Krieg and Zero for skills.

Psyren
2013-08-03, 11:06 PM

So's Roland, but he could kick both Helena and Moxxi's asses.

Moxxi as a Siren would be pretty lame to me. Wouldn't that make Scooter and (shudder) Ellie half-Sirens? No thanks.

Geno9999
2013-08-03, 11:10 PM
Moxxi as a Siren would be pretty lame to me. Wouldn't that make Scooter and (shudder) Ellie half-Sirens? No thanks.

1) I don't think that's how becoming a Siren works, 2) that would imply that Handsome Jack and Angel's mother were a combination of both being either half-Sirens or pure Siren. 3) There can only be six Sirens in the universe at any given time, and we know of 4 3 2.

Psyren
2013-08-04, 12:01 AM
2) that would imply that Handsome Jack and Angel's mother were a combination of both being either half-Sirens or pure Siren.

Not necessarily. It could be a latent gene; but, having expressed itself fully in the over Sirens we know, skipping their offspring would then be less likely.

Or perhaps I should say - it would be lamer still that a full Siren is capable of having children as utterly mundane/inbred as Scooter and Ellie.

Psyren
2013-08-04, 12:02 AM
2) that would imply that Handsome Jack and Angel's mother were a combination of both being either half-Sirens or pure Siren.

Not necessarily. It could be a latent gene; but, having expressed itself fully in the over Sirens we know, skipping their offspring would then be less likely.

Or perhaps I should say - it would be lamer still that a full Siren is capable of having children as utterly mundane/inbred as Scooter and Ellie.

And finally, Angel knows all about Scooter, and likely Moxxi and Ellie as well as a result. If Moxxi was a Siren, you'd think she'd comment on it, given how gaga she and Jack were over Maya.

factotum
2013-08-04, 02:32 AM
How is Helena a main character? Was she ever even actually on the screen at any given point?

I'm assuming you must never have played the original Borderlands, given that statement, since Helena Pearce was the main quest-giver in New Haven.

Triscuitable
2013-08-04, 02:56 AM

Yeah, I seriously doubt that. That'd make Sirens more well known, and far less mysterious. People know what Sirens are, but not how they exist, got their powers, or other notable facts. They just know that they have powers, and that they're all women.

Psyren
2013-08-04, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I seriously doubt that. That'd make Sirens more well known, and far less mysterious. People know what Sirens are, but not how they exist, got their powers, or other notable facts. They just know that they have powers, and that they're all women.

You're assuming Sirens go around having kids, or even that they can.

Triscuitable
2013-08-04, 03:59 PM
You're assuming Sirens go around having kids, or even that they can.

No, you're inferring that from something I never stated. My assumption is that children are just born like this at random; there's no way to gauge whether or not a child will be a siren (just that when there's less than six, the next born would likely be one).

Thanatos 51-50
2013-08-04, 09:08 PM
Gaige is a siren, her father just never knew, and she cuts off her left arm for the Summon Deathtrap Stick, so she lost her ability to use Siren Powers.
/rampantspeculation

Anteros
2013-08-04, 09:51 PM
I'm assuming you must never have played the original Borderlands, given that statement, since Helena Pearce was the main quest-giver in New Haven.

I played it quite a bit. I just don't remember her standing out in any way. If I remember correctly she looked fairly generic and had almost no personality. I'd hardly compare her to Tina or Moxxie.

Psyren
2013-08-05, 01:00 AM
No, you're inferring that from something I never stated. My assumption is that children are just born like this at random; there's no way to gauge whether or not a child will be a siren (just that when there's less than six, the next born would likely be one).

My point is that Moxxi being one would go beyond random into asspull territory.

Geno9999
2013-08-06, 11:24 AM
There's a hotfix out, fixing the drop rates of Doc Mercy, Mad Dog, Savage Lee, and McNally. (http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1071/borderlands-2-hot-fixes-8-6)

Forrestfire
2013-08-07, 09:58 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a method to transfer a PS3 save file to the PC version of the game?

Triscuitable
2013-08-07, 04:26 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a method to transfer a PS3 save file to the PC version of the game?

Yup; Gibbed.

Forrestfire
2013-08-07, 05:11 PM

SiuiS
2013-08-23, 05:34 AM
Well. This thread died quickly.

No more interest in Borderlands? Has everyone achieved their goals and dreams already?

Badgerish
2013-08-23, 06:59 AM
I'm playing and loving it. (although GW2 is taking more time)

lvl 27 gaige, currently running through Torgue's DLC (AWESOME) and looking forward to Tiny Tina's DLC.

Forrestfire
2013-08-23, 08:11 AM
I've been busy with school starting up again.

The last time I played I was going through Where Angels Fear to Tread and got killed a bunch of times by a level 48 super badass loader. Going through with the intent of finishing the story first was probably a bad idea, since I'm level 45 right now...

NEO|Phyte
2013-08-23, 08:15 AM
Been working on clearing TVHM on my commando, I'm at level 50 and just finished up Where Angels Fear to Tread. Got a big old pile of sidequests sitting around for when everything scales to my level, though I'm unclear on if I should snag them right away or wait until level 61 to snag the assorted rewards. I've been taking the cash/eridium/customization/green item sidequests because it doesn't particularly matter if those get upscaled.

Neftren
2013-08-23, 08:22 AM
My hard drive elected for permanent, early retirement, so I just got a replacement in yesterday. As soon as I figure out how to install Windows, I'll be able to play Borderlands 2 again. So ... Neftren, coming to a theatre near you!

Tome
2013-08-23, 10:33 AM
I still have it, but I've never been all that interested in playing it solo.

Of course, if anyone here is still playing on xbox I'd be more than happy to join in if you see me online and send me an invite. :smallwink:

Bounty Hunter
2013-08-23, 03:32 PM

No more interest in Borderlands? Has everyone achieved their goals and dreams already? Nope... just been busy with work, and rebuilding a car.. and trying to get back into D&D.

Who know being a grown up was so rough..

Triscuitable
2013-08-23, 04:00 PM
Nope... just been busy with work, and rebuilding a car.. and trying to get back into D&D.

Who know being a grown up was so rough..

I lost interest in the game and went over to other games. Dead Space 3, Planetside 2, League of Legends, etc. Oh, and I went through Tsukihime. That was pretty good.

Geno9999
2013-08-23, 04:19 PM
Been working on clearing TVHM on my commando, I'm at level 50 and just finished up Where Angels Fear to Tread. Got a big old pile of sidequests sitting around for when everything scales to my level, though I'm unclear on if I should snag them right away or wait until level 61 to snag the assorted rewards.

Loot and Quests cap at level 50 in TVHM. The only way to get lvl 51+ quest rewards is to do the quests during UVHM.

The_Final_Stand
2013-08-23, 04:27 PM
I'm sat at level 50 in TVHM, currently doing Captain Scarlett. Running through all the DLC, rather than just Torgue and Tina (which, by the way, were AWESOME).

Triscuitable
2013-08-23, 04:45 PM
I'm sat at level 50 in TVHM, currently doing Captain Scarlett. Running through all the DLC, rather than just Torgue and Tina (which, by the way, were AWESOME).

I... Dislike the other DLC. Torgue I feel is hilarious, but lacking in variety. It feels like a boring, brown world full of clever jokes. Despite that, it's still a boring, brown world. The main game was vibrant and full of color! Scarlett was the same way, and Hammerlock was the biggest offender, in that a lot of areas there cranked up the gamma in the environments, making everything feel a lot more artificial and uninteresting.

Tina, on the other hand, was amazing.

Seatbelt
2013-08-24, 08:32 AM
I hit the level cap and stopped caring. I don't see the point in grinding for gear you can't use to do anything meaningful with.

factotum
2013-08-24, 01:11 PM
I don't see the point in grinding for gear

I stop at that point, personally. Any sort of grinding is just not fun, and I wish they wouldn't keep putting it in games.

Seatbelt
2013-08-24, 06:56 PM
I stop at that point, personally. Any sort of grinding is just not fun, and I wish they wouldn't keep putting it in games.

I mean its whatever. I can see why you'd want to grind a boss. I'll occasionally swing by whatever boss on the way to whatever quest I'm doing. Or start the game and head to some dude's whatsit to see if he drops the thing. But I got to level 61 with only some level of pain. I didn't need the best loot to hit the cap. I certainly don't need to finish the campaign on UVM if ?I can't keep leveling. I've beaten it twice and I've put almost a week of real time in to playing this one character. He's fun, but he's not so much fun that I need to keep playing him for another 10 hours.

But on the flip side I can understand why people would want to redo the same boss over and over so they can get a sweet gun to do something sweet with it. But you don't need that sweet gun to beat Borderlands.

Logic
2013-08-27, 12:33 PM
I stopped playing World of Warcraft because there was so MUCH grinding in it. A month and a half in, and that game bored me to tears.

While with Borderlands, even if I am grinding for a weapon that a specific boss drops, I don't feel like I am grinding, because it is only a few attempts (max 6 in my experience) before the boss drops what I am looking for, and then I am on my merry way gleefully putting over-sized holes in heads with my new toy.

There are some tedious parts to the game (Bloodshot Stronghold and Frostburn Canyon come to mind) so I can't say the game is all fun and no grind, but I find those two locations to be the exception to the rule.

mangosta71
2013-08-27, 02:39 PM
I can't go into Frostburn Canyon without getting lost. Or rather, I can find the way out, but damned if I can find the path I'm looking for.

Artanis
2013-08-28, 06:39 AM
I can't go into Frostburn Canyon without getting lost. Or rather, I can find the way out, but damned if I can find the path I'm looking for.
I hate Frostburn Canyon with a passion that burns like a thousand suns. Even after all the times I've been there, I still can't find my way around the _*()#&%^_*()&@ place.

Logic
2013-08-28, 09:10 AM
I hate Frostburn Canyon with a passion that burns like a thousand suns. Even after all the times I've been there, I still can't find my way around the _*()#&%^_*()&@ place.

I managed to memorize it and find my way through there because I spent my first play-through getting lost for close to 5 real world hours (it really sucks to save and quit during "Hunting the Firehawk after getting the first 3 or so Bloodshot Signs, and then trying to find your way to the 4th or 5th with almost no map to help, or better, a lying map because of all the tunnels.

If anyone ever needs help in Frostburn Canyon, I will be your guide.*

*Off valid only to Xbox Live subscribers.

Reynard
2013-08-28, 10:50 AM
A Guide to Frostburn Canyon, for those who want to get to the Firehawk:

Follow the right-hand wall from the entrance.

Done.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-28, 11:22 AM
I never had any problems finding my way around Frostburn Canyon, but then again I check the map extremely often whenever I'm in a new area.

Psyren
2013-08-28, 12:01 PM
A Guide to Frostburn Canyon, for those who want to get to the Firehawk:

Follow the right-hand wall from the entrance.

Done.

This. My second try I realized you have to go into that cave to get to both the highest and lowest points on the map. Pretty much all the side missions are there as well.

Logic
2013-08-28, 02:15 PM
This. My second try I realized you have to go into that cave to get to both the highest and lowest points on the map. Pretty much all the side missions are there as well.

I think Killing Scorch is the quest exception. And some of the challenges are exceptions to this as well.

Psyren
2013-08-28, 03:19 PM

No more interest in Borderlands? Has everyone achieved their goals and dreams already?

I've moved on to Firefall and other games. There's no need to grind for gear since I can basically drop whatever into my backpack and even make my own. Even the Shift Keys are pointless now. I did a couple of builds with every skill maxed out for kicks and that was it. (It's a credit to Gearbox though that the game can still be challenging in UVHM even when you have every skill maxed out and level 61 guns.)

Though I must say... Salvador is an absolute beast. Nothing like Dual Rocket Launchers during FFYL to make you feel invincible.

I might get back into it for that new DLC though. Bunkers and Badasses, is that it?

Demolator
2013-08-28, 04:42 PM
I've moved on to Firefall and other games. There's no need to grind for gear since I can basically drop whatever into my backpack and even make my own. Even the Shift Keys are pointless now. I did a couple of builds with every skill maxed out for kicks and that was it. (It's a credit to Gearbox though that the game can still be challenging in UVHM even when you have every skill maxed out and level 61 guns.)

Though I must say... Salvador is an absolute beast. Nothing like Dual Rocket Launchers during FFYL to make you feel invincible.

I might get back into it for that new DLC though. Bunkers and Badasses, is that it?

That one is definitely a DLC worth getting, the best one by far. It's a good challenge and the story's pretty awesome. Although once I got to level 61, me and my legendaries started blowing everything away just like the other two modes (which I actually thought was VERY refreshing)

Clyner
2013-08-28, 09:38 PM
So, anyone else excited for the new borderlands short (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127188-Borderlands-2-Short-Film-Drops-Later-This-Week) that's coming later this week? The last one was fun, but it needed more Axton :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2013-08-29, 08:55 AM
and it's out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NQT2AmmRI

Logic
2013-08-30, 09:06 AM
The previous short, Meat Bicycle Built for Two actually made me like Krieg. Granted, I've only barely scratched the surface with him (only level 10) but I am starting to like the character now.

The new short was a little underwhelming. I'd like to see a short with Gaige now.

Forrestfire
2013-08-30, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I wasn't as much of a fan of this one as I was with Kreig's video. That one made felt extremely well-done, like a little movie in an itself.

This one felt... like a cutscene? Ish?

Psyren
2013-08-30, 09:55 AM
So Tina's insanity is contagious? (And makes her a good DM apparently?)

It's nice that they're acknowledging the story events though (Jack and Roland's deaths.) And apparently at least Salvadore surviving the train ride is canon.

BRC
2013-08-30, 10:19 AM

It's nice that they're acknowledging the story events though (Jack and Roland's deaths.) And apparently at least Salvadore surviving the train ride is canon.

Brick was drugged up at the time, which may have made Tina's Magic Feathering more effective.

And Insanity is a key component to good DMing I find.

Also, I think it's Canon that all the Vault hunters survived the train ride (Including Krieg and Gage), just like it's canon that all four Vault Hunters from BL1 got off the bus.

Also, my dream for BL3

So BL2 showed a bunch of vaults on other planets. BL3 is the Vault Hunters/Crimson Raiders trying to get their hands on those vaults before anybody evil does.

BL3 shuffles the players between three planets, each one with it's own Vault and it's own conflict. Each one would presumably have a different environment or somthing as well.

The first planet is Pandora. When Handsome Jack died, a whole mess of Hyperion troops and equipment were left behind. Jack's crusade had already caused Bandits to start gathering in larger numbers, now the bandits are resurgent.

The Crimson Raiders on Pandora are soldiers: Former Crimson Lance and Hyperion for the most part, led by Axton, Mordecai, and Zer0.They fight alongside the Players against the Bandit hordes.

The second planet is largely urban. A Vault has opened up there, and the Tediore corporation is trying to take control of it. Legions of smiling troops and robots are marching against the Crimson Raiders. On this planet, the Raiders are Bandits, The Slabs plus others, led by Salvador, Brick, and Kreig.

The third planet is a jungle. A hyperion mad scientist escaped with a bunch of iridium and animals from Pandora. He cloned some Pandora beasties and mutated local animals and is using them as a personal army. Here, the Crimson Raider forces consist of an endless wave of Robots designed by the combined minds of Gaige, Tiny Tina, and MISTER TORGUE FLEXINGTON (Former CEO of the Torgue corporation, they fired him).

Maya and Lilith are off searching for information about the Vaults/Serving as reinforcements wherever needed.

Artanis
2013-08-30, 11:41 AM
An excellent DM. I'm probably the only person in the world who actually dislikes Tina, but she was absolutely perfect for that DLC. IMO, she was an even better "host" than Torgue was :smallsmile:

Psyren
2013-08-30, 12:56 PM
I... don't dislike her, per se, but I find her manner of speech extremely grating. She's a great and surprisingly complex character, I just want to bludgeon her with a rusty pipe wrench whenever she opens her mouth. I began muting the volume while doing her missions after awhile.

Geno9999
2013-08-30, 01:13 PM
Now that the most recent patch (http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/entries/22126761--PC-Update-Hot-Fix-Information) has added Weapon Zoom on the card, I realized that my current sniper rifle has ridiculous zoom (like, 8.5x zoom or something.)

Also, Ammo and Storage caps have been increased, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Neftren
2013-08-30, 01:25 PM
Anyone up for trying Level 61 Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode with me?

Logic
2013-08-30, 02:05 PM

Xbox? Perhaps today after 3:30 PST. Though that may not be possible, and I may have a "honey do" list when I get home.

Neftren
2013-08-30, 03:49 PM
Xbox? Perhaps today after 3:30 PST. Though that may not be possible, and I may have a "honey do" list when I get home.

Alas, PC.

10char

Geno9999
2013-08-30, 03:55 PM
Sure, I have a lvl 61 Zer0.

Triscuitable
2013-08-30, 11:03 PM
Played the new DLC at PAX today. Lots of fun.

Seatbelt
2013-08-31, 09:12 AM
I was entertained by the new short. It's basically just a trailer for Tiny Tina's. Not as good as Meat Bicycle. But still funny.

The_Final_Stand
2013-08-31, 11:00 AM
Having just unlocked UVHM, I've come to the conclusion that any level in which I can shoot a mook in the head with a ludicrously high damage sniper rifle (30001 damage at level 50, + various crit bonuses) and not have him die is a stupid level.

Geno9999
2013-08-31, 11:17 AM
Having just unlocked UVHM, I've come to the conclusion that any level in which I can shoot a mook in the head with a ludicrously high damage sniper rifle (30001 damage at level 50, + various crit bonuses) and not have him die is a stupid level.

That's why I hate UVHM in general. However since I realized that my playstyle basically amounts to support fire, hiding behind cover when my shields are down, I've been using a Amplify shield. Actually works pretty well for me. Still should get myself a lvl 61 Bee though.

Demolator
2013-08-31, 12:05 PM
That's why I hate UVHM in general. However since I realized that my playstyle basically amounts to support fire, hiding behind cover when my shields are down, I've been using a Amplify shield. Actually works pretty well for me. Still should get myself a lvl 61 Bee though.

Without that shield I would've pretty much quit UVHM out of despair. :smalltongue:

factotum
2013-08-31, 01:47 PM

I found that was happening in the last few areas in playthrough 2, much less UVHM!

NeoVid
2013-08-31, 05:36 PM
On the other hand, I'm playing Salvador with an Unkempt Harold in one hand, slag Rubi in the other, and Gunzerk active 90% of the time, and I recently found out that UVHM can be #@%$ing awesome.

Psyren
2013-08-31, 09:06 PM

You can one-shot mooks on UVHM, just play on PC where you can give yourself a decent rifle.

factotum
2013-09-01, 01:03 AM
So...you have to cheat in order to play the game properly? Wow, that's some stellar design right there, isn't it? :smallsigh:

ex cathedra
2013-09-01, 01:54 AM
no, you have to play the game well to succeed on higher difficulties.

challenge isn't for everyone i suppose.

Demolator
2013-09-01, 02:32 AM
You don't need to cheat, you just need a bee shield and some legendary guns (which is pretty much cheating anyway). :smalltongue: I don't know what you guys are talking about with all this TVHM difficulty stuff though, I found it just as easy as the first playthrough.

Seatbelt
2013-09-01, 07:55 AM
There were bits in each difficulty that were challenging. Doing Tina's on UVH was difficult because we started there and our guns were underleveled. Try killing a crystal skele without a same-level explosive weapon. I played through the entire game, all three modes, with a friend. Once we were geared appropriately (and legendary items are useful but by no means required) our tactics devolved to the same tried and true methods.

I'd drop turrets and slag-n-swap/cower behind my turrets and run out to save the Gunzerker when he went down. The Bee was perfect for my build since I went 100% turret spam+shield buffs. Before the Bee I never killed anything myself but I rarely went down. After the Bee I became the principal damage dealer on large targets because my shields came back so incredibly fast.

Triscuitable
2013-09-01, 08:50 AM
Crystal Skeletons are weak to splash and melee damage. You could just punch it twice at any level.

Seatbelt
2013-09-01, 09:18 AM
Crystal Skeletons are weak to splash and melee damage. You could just punch it twice at any level.

Or you could go through the entire expansion without discovering Skeletons are weak to melee damage, which is what we managed to do....

factotum
2013-09-01, 11:22 AM
no, you have to play the game well to succeed on higher difficulties.

challenge isn't for everyone i suppose.

And "giving yourself" some sort of super gun is a challenge? Because that's what I was responding to.

Psyren
2013-09-01, 11:25 AM
So...you have to cheat in order to play the game properly? Wow, that's some stellar design right there, isn't it? :smallsigh:

I don't know how much easier or harder it is on console, I never stuck with it long enough before switching to the Steam version.

And cheating is such a strong word. I prefer "modding." :smalltongue:

Triscuitable
2013-09-01, 11:37 AM
I don't know how much easier or harder it is on console, I never stuck with it long enough before switching to the Steam version.

And cheating is such a strong word. I prefer "modding." :smalltongue:

It's modding to your benefit, i.e., cheating.

Psyren
2013-09-01, 11:44 AM
It's modding to your benefit, i.e., cheating.

Well I'm sure all the poor pixels my actions have offended will be petitioning me to stop any moment.

Reynard
2013-09-01, 11:55 AM
Save editing completely killed my enthusiasm for the first Borderlands game, so I avoided doing it in BL2.

Except when it comes to Seraph crystals. I don't have the time and patience to kill the bosses the approximately two hundred thousand times it takes to get enough crystals to get a gun.

ex cathedra
2013-09-01, 12:34 PM
And "giving yourself" some sort of super gun is a challenge? Because that's what I was responding to.

no, i was disputing the suggestion that you need to give yourself guns to play the game "properly" in the first place. myself and many others have played and beaten >90% of UHVM without resorting to save editing or similar "tactics."

the implication was that it might not be the game design at fault if you're struggling to kill weak UVHM creatures. maybe you just aren't playing well.

it's like saying that basketball is a flawed game just because I can't dunk.

Psyren
2013-09-01, 02:00 PM
no, i was disputing the suggestion that you need to give yourself guns to play the game "properly" in the first place.

Oh I didn't suggest that at all - it just removes the weapons grind and lets you skip right to the OHKO head-shotting from Normal play.

Heck, you can give yourself an entry-level UVHM gun if you want more of a challenge; I tried that out too.

Anteros
2013-09-01, 02:14 PM
no, i was disputing the suggestion that you need to give yourself guns to play the game "properly" in the first place. myself and many others have played and beaten >90% of UHVM without resorting to save editing or similar "tactics."

the implication was that it might not be the game design at fault if you're struggling to kill weak UVHM creatures. maybe you just aren't playing well.

it's like saying that basketball is a flawed game just because I can't dunk.

No. The original statement was that certain play-styles such as sniping are ineffectual past a certain point, and you decided to misinterpret the statement and act condescending about your "superior skill" as a result.

ex cathedra
2013-09-01, 02:38 PM
No. The original statement was that certain play-styles such as sniping are ineffectual past a certain point, and you decided to misinterpret the statement and act condescending about your "superior skill" as a result.

i didn't realize that sniping was ineffectual (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-cCpVs4ePi0)

Geno9999
2013-09-01, 03:27 PM
i didn't realize that sniping was ineffectual (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-cCpVs4ePi0)

This is the skill build he was using for the entire video, as shown at the end. (http://www.bl2skills.com/assassin.html#504501505150055100005050211000)

Interesting... I think I might try something similar, probably with a Survivor (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Survivor) mod that boosts Rising Sh0t and Ambush, though mostly for the passive Health regen. OR, I can keep my Professional (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Professional) mod... Oh my... IDEA!!! (http://www.bl2skills.com/assassin.html#505521505150055105510000000000)
WHY DIDN'T ANYB0DY MIX TW0 FANG WITH RISING SH0T 0R CRITICAL ASCENTI0N BEF0RE?! This is unexploited synergy right here!

The downside to this setup is the need to devote most of Zero's Gun slots to Sniper rifles, and therefore use up tons of Rifle ammo. Having a buddy Hoarder (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Hoarder) Gunzerker is recommended.

Legoshrimp
2013-09-01, 03:30 PM
As he pointed out in the video. The way the game decides what type of ammo is dropped means if you are only using sniper ammo, you will mostly get sniper ammo.

factotum
2013-09-01, 03:30 PM
Congratulations--you've linked to a video that proves a sniper-focused Zer0 with around x4 critical damage can, in fact, one-shot robots using a type of damage they're particularly susceptible to. How about trying the same trick with a non-sniper focused character?

ex cathedra
2013-09-01, 03:37 PM
Congratulations--you've linked to a video that proves a sniper-focused Zer0 with around x4 critical damage can, in fact, one-shot robots using a type of damage they're particularly susceptible to. How about trying the same trick with a non-sniper focused character?

would you also be disappointed to learn that a smg-focused siren doesn't do a lot of melee damage?

of course he's sniper-focused. if you want to do something well you need to focus your character around it. that's basic game knowledge. of course he's using an elemental type to which they're weak. that's basic game knowledge.

don't complain that the game is poorly designed if you don't care enough to use the tools that the games provides you. it's not the game's fault that you don't want to select good skills, equip good weapons, aim well, use elemental weaknesses, or apply slag.

Geno9999
2013-09-01, 07:12 PM
Okay, after trying out a variation of the Sniper/Cunning build, I have few notes:
Crippling Overspecialization (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CripplingOverspecialization): To use the full potential of Critical Ascensi0n, it requires Zer0 to juggle between different sniper rifles. However, using sniper rifles exclusively makes many enemies that are either fast and or have small critical areas (Psychos, Skags, Angry Goliaths, etc.) will be difficult to deal with. Hyperion Scopes (scopes with the octagonal eye piece,) while have amazing zoom, makes hitting close targets difficult if they are constantly moving in and out of view. Another downside is that Sniper rifles are not the best weapon to use for giving yourself second wind. Sniper Stockpile relic is recommended, and maximized Sniper Ammo capacity from the Black Market is a must. In UVHM, Maliwan is the king, so keep a Fire, Corrosive, and Shock Rifles handy. Slag is also a big plus.
Difficult But Awesome (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DifficultButAwesome): Once Zer0 builds up stacks, he can wreck enemies. In the previously posted video, Fiber used a ridiculously underleveled Vladof Sniper to build up stacks on an isolated foe, before finishing off with an appropriate Maliwan Snider. I substituted with a White lvl 61 Dahl, which worked well for getting 5-10 stacks, but ironically also killed enemies too quickly. As previously stated, not all foes are lumbering as a Loader, or a Raid Boss, so learning how to fire from the hip with a sniper rifle is also recommended. Luckily, At 0ne with the Gun helps, with a maximized +125% hip shot accuracy. Also thanks to A0wtG and Fast Hands, you shouldn't be losing stacks from switching between rifles and reloading.

Anteros
2013-09-02, 01:21 AM
The video shows that you can snipe effectively...as long as you're able to stack critical ascension 80 times, and you're up against one of the few enemies in the game who have giant crit spots, low health pools, and slow, predictable movement patterns. The fact is that the vast majority of the enemies in the game are not loaders who will stand perfectly still and let you crit them 80 times in a row without moving.

Maintaining critical ascension stacks against loaders is easy. I'd like to see you do it against stalkers, or even some of the more mobile humanoid enemies like rats.

factotum
2013-09-02, 02:28 AM
would you also be disappointed to learn that a smg-focused siren doesn't do a lot of melee damage?

OK, I worded my complaint badly. I believe that a sniper rifle headshot *should* be able to take down a common or garden mook, even at higher difficulties. Sniper-focused character would be able to take down better enemies, that's all. This is how the first game worked, and it worked rather well, so why did they change it? After all, it's not like sniping is particularly useful after the first kill because everyone and their dog is then returning fire, making it somewhat tricky to line up for the second shot (especially in higher difficulties where the enemies will pretty much wipe you out in two hits).

As for the video, I echo Anteros' comment above, with the addition that the chap running the video specifically chose an area with a very high density of mooks and which has very few hiding places to do his demo. What if he was trying that in a place where he couldn't so easily make the kill every few seconds to maintain his super-high CA? For example, Lynchwood, where enemies have a habit of avoiding your fire and even hiding behind things, and where non-mook enemies like Bruisers are quite common?

Psyren
2013-09-02, 02:34 PM

It's very effective in the right circumstances. He has an off-element vladof sniper to rack up crits for Ascensi0n, he's in an area populated by a single enemy type so he can stack his gear towards their weakness, he's fighting slow-moving foes with large critical spots and predictable spawn locations... I could go on. I don't think sniping is ineffective, but that video is set in a very controlled environment.

Demolator
2013-09-02, 04:17 PM
OK, I worded my complaint badly. I believe that a sniper rifle headshot *should* be able to take down a common or garden mook, even at higher difficulties. Sniper-focused character would be able to take down better enemies, that's all. This is how the first game worked, and it worked rather well, so why did they change it? After all, it's not like sniping is particularly useful after the first kill because everyone and their dog is then returning fire, making it somewhat tricky to line up for the second shot (especially in higher difficulties where the enemies will pretty much wipe you out in two hits).

Get yourself that nice pearlescent sniper and a Bee shield and you can one shot a good variety of mooks.

factotum
2013-09-03, 01:33 AM
Which just comes back to the only way of doing well in B2 is to grind like crazy or cheat yourself weapons...

Legoshrimp
2013-09-03, 01:52 AM
Which just comes back to the only way of doing well in B2 is to grind like crazy or cheat yourself weapons...

That seems fine for the hardest difficulty to need effort, and the end game of this sort of game is always grinding.

Actana
2013-09-03, 02:38 AM
I grinded my level 61 commando full legendary weapons, and while it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences, it wasn't too unbearable. Mainly due to the legendaries I farmed for:

The Slagga I got through Tector Hodunk, who is right at the start of the spawnpoint, and really quick to kill.
The Hornet is likewise. I actually have two of them, as I was lucky to get a Twin Hornet from Knuckledragger really soon after the first 61 version of it (I currently have around 5 or 6 Hornets of various levels). It's a really good corrosive pistol that fires a 5-round burst with high damage.

And finally pretty much all the Torgue legendaries you can get. I did this through the Mr Torgue DLC, in Pyro Pete's bar. In normal or TVHM, the patrons of the bar cap at level 50, making grinding Torgue Tokens ridiculously quick, as you just grab the quest, kill the dudes and go back. Takes around 30 minutes for enough tokens to buy a legendary. I also boosted some of my friends to higher levels there, which allowed me to get even more of them. Thankfully, the Torgue Tokens are valid regardless of play mode, so I then just played the DLC on UVHM until I got to the first Torgue vending machine and bought the legendaries I wanted to. Level 61 Nukem, a Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold, and quite a few other goodies. It's easy, relatively quick, and you can get the legendary with the stats you want.

Seatbelt
2013-09-03, 03:24 AM

On UVM it helps to have legendary weapons. But you don't need them, unless your build is especially item dependent, like the sniper one.

Geno9999
2013-09-15, 05:05 PM
Alright, today I have found one of the new legendary class mods made available by Raid on Digistruct Peak. Unfortunately it's a lvl 65 Legendary Catalyst (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary_Catalyst#Gaige_the_Mechromancer) class mod. Unfortunately, my Gaige is nowhere near that high of level to actually make use of it. But rather than simply selling it off or storing in until my Gaige can use it, I'm willing to put it up for trade:
I'm looking for Legendary Killer (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary_Killer) or Hunter (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary_Hunter) class mods for Zer0, preferably those at least lvl 61.
You can find me here. (http://steamcommunity.com/id/nintenes/)

Sharoth
2013-09-30, 05:51 PM
I picked up Borderlands 2 last night and I am enjoying it. IMHO Borderlands 1 was more fun. But this is also enjoyable.

NeoVid
2013-09-30, 05:57 PM
Borderlands 2 starts off pretty slow, but if you're liking it from the start, just wait until you've got enough skill points for the insanity to truly begin...

Geno9999
2013-09-30, 06:12 PM
I picked up Borderlands 2 last night and I am enjoying it. IMHO Borderlands 1 was more fun. But this is also enjoyable.

Which Vault Hunter are you starting out with? Because the two DLC Vault Hunters (Gaige the Mechromancer, and Krieg the Psycho) have trees that revolve around mechanics that can be difficult to master.

Triscuitable
2013-09-30, 06:30 PM
Which Vault Hunter are you starting out with? Because the two DLC Vault Hunters (Gaige the Mechromancer, and Krieg the Psycho) have trees that revolve around mechanics that can be difficult to master.

I'd recommend starting with Axton or Salvador, frankly. They're straightforward characters, but don't require any special builds to be effective. Give them the right specs, though, and they're a valuable ally.

Salvador is also completely overpowered.

Sharoth
2013-09-30, 06:59 PM
I am playing Maya on my X-Box 360 with Vanilla Borderlands 2 and no DLCs (for now). The thing that is slightly annoying is the lack of side quests.

Sharoth
2013-09-30, 07:02 PM
I'd recommend starting with Axton or Salvador, frankly. They're straightforward characters, but don't require any special builds to be effective. Give them the right specs, though, and they're a valuable ally.

I will have to try them out later. Maya is fun, but she takes some getting used to. Also, how do I get more Eridium? It has been slightly frustrating that some things that I could just buy are now reliant on the supply of Eridium.

Artanis
2013-09-30, 07:09 PM
I will have to try them out later. Maya is fun, but she takes some getting used to. Also, how do I get more Eridium? It has been slightly frustrating that some things that I could just buy are now reliant on the supply of Eridium.
Just keep moving through the game, and soon enough you'll have more Eridium than you know what to do with.

Also, the Tiny Tina DLC has Eridium coming out its ears.

NeoVid
2013-09-30, 07:13 PM
Side quests will show up more often in Sanctuary after major story chapters, there's enough of them that running the majority you're given will keep you overleveled for the entire game.

Sharoth
2013-09-30, 07:35 PM
Just keep moving through the game, and soon enough you'll have more Eridium than you know what to do with.

~sighs~ Well, Tiny Tina's DLC is only $5 right now... I may just pick it up tonight.

Triscuitable
2013-09-30, 07:41 PM
Side quests will show up more often in Sanctuary after major story chapters, there's enough of them that running the majority you're given will keep you overleveled for the entire game.

Doing the DLC is more fun, though. If you level up and get stuck, go beat a DLC. They all scale to your level, and you've got four to pick from, so there's some variety here and there.

The latter three are best saved for after you complete the game, though.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-30, 08:14 PM

Alternatively, blow half your cash on the slots at Moxxi's whenever you find yourself back in Sanctuary.

Geno9999
2013-09-30, 08:29 PM
~sighs~ Well, Tiny Tina's DLC is only $5 right now... I may just pick it up tonight.
Tiny Tina's DLC is the best of the four, IMHO, followed by Torgue's DLC. I'm not sure, since you're playing on Xbox 360, but on PC you can get the Season Pass which gives you Tiny Tina, Torgue, Scarlett, and Hammerlock DLCs, along with a Ultimate Vault Hunter Pack, which gives you +11 to maximum levels and pearlescents.

Sharoth
2013-09-30, 08:56 PM
Tiny Tina's DLC is the best of the four, IMHO, followed by Torgue's DLC. I'm not sure, since you're playing on Xbox 360, but on PC you can get the Season Pass which gives you Tiny Tina, Torgue, Scarlett, and Hammerlock DLCs, along with a Ultimate Vault Hunter Pack, which gives you +11 to maximum levels and pearlescents.

If I had the money, then I would pick up the Season pass. Sadly, I am a bit broke right now.

Triscuitable
2013-09-30, 09:14 PM
If I had the money, then I would pick up the Season pass. Sadly, I am a bit broke right now.

It's what, $30? Just wait until XBL drops the price. It'll happen.

factotum
2013-10-01, 02:23 AM
I am playing Maya on my X-Box 360 with Vanilla Borderlands 2 and no DLCs (for now). The thing that is slightly annoying is the lack of side quests.

Lack of side quests? :smallconfused: For all my complaints about the game, that's certainly one issue I'd never level at it--there are sidequests out the wazoo all over the place. What you might be complaining about is that the game feels a bit restricted and linear, which it *does*, at least until you reach Sanctuary and get a few more choices about where to go.

TL;DR--don't worry, it opens out later on, just keep plugging at it!

mangosta71
2013-10-01, 08:37 AM
Yeah, there are only a couple side quests in Liarsburg, and I'm not sure there are any between Flint and the first time you reach Sanctuary, but after that...

Logic
2013-10-01, 09:10 AM
Care to elaborate? I find Salvador to be fun, and niche, but I haven't experienced overpowered shenanigans.

Another reason I ask for elaboration is a friend of mine claims Salvador is the weakest vault hunter, and I usually accept his opinions on game mechanics*.

*(This friend basically turned World of Warcraft and League of Legends into jobs. He was one of THOSE guys.)

Triscuitable
2013-10-01, 09:30 AM
Care to elaborate? I find Salvador to be fun, and niche, but I haven't experienced overpowered shenanigans.

Another reason I ask for elaboration is a friend of mine claims Salvador is the weakest vault hunter, and I usually accept his opinions on game mechanics*.

*(This friend basically turned World of Warcraft and League of Legends into jobs. He was one of THOSE guys.)

Ammo and health regen while gunzerking
Can wield a DPUH and Rubi and effectively never die.

Really, the DPUH and Rubi/Grog Nozzle break the game.

Logic
2013-10-01, 09:51 AM
Ammo and health regen while gunzerking
Can wield a DPUH and Rubi and effectively never die.

Really, the DPUH and Rubi/Grog Nozzle break the game.

Hmm. Good to know. (I had to Google search DPUH, luckily, Google knows exactly what I am looking for.)

EDIT: I take it you maximize this with a Sheriff's Badge and Divergent Likeness?

NeoVid
2013-10-01, 06:56 PM
Hmm. Good to know. (I had to Google search DPUH, luckily, Google knows exactly what I am looking for.)

EDIT: I take it you maximize this with a Sheriff's Badge and Divergent Likeness?

Optimally, yes, but I haven't got either, and I'm still squashing UVHM with my Sal.

My addition to the combo is the Flame of the Firehawk. As long as my shields are down, I'm surrounded by explosions that heal me when they do damage.

As I've said before:
My main is Salvador. I take cover behind walls of lead.

Sharoth
2013-10-01, 08:41 PM
Borderlands 2 - Game of the Year Edition comes out October 8 in the USA and October 11 for the rest of the world.

Geno9999
2013-10-01, 09:39 PM
Playing as Krieg recently, I'm only at level 20, but he is crazy fun to play as.

Sharoth
2013-10-02, 07:46 AM
Stupid X-Box 360 version of Borderlands 2 question. How do you select what character you want to use? I can't find my level 16 Maya or my level 6 Krieg. Of course I was tired last night so I might just be missing the obvious.

Triscuitable
2013-10-02, 07:59 AM
Stupid X-Box 360 version of Borderlands 2 question. How do you select what character you want to use? I can't find my level 16 Maya or my level 6 Krieg. Of course I was tired last night so I might just be missing the obvious.

"Select Character" on the root of the main menu.

Sharoth
2013-10-02, 08:20 AM
Ok. I will check it out when I get home tonight.

Logic
2013-10-02, 09:33 AM
"Select Character" on the root of the main menu.

Press (Y) to open this menu.

Sharoth
2013-10-02, 09:55 AM
Ok. thanks.

Also, is there a limit to how many characters you can have?

Triscuitable
2013-10-02, 11:36 AM
Ok. thanks.

Your hard drive capacity.

Logic
2013-10-02, 02:12 PM
Ok. thanks.

I'm not quite sure why you would want more than one of each class, with the only exception being additional inventory space.

Sharoth
2013-10-02, 03:03 PM
I just plan on having one of each. I doubt that I will want to grind through it enough to play more than one low level of each.

NeoVid
2013-10-02, 07:33 PM
Playing as Krieg recently, I'm only at level 20, but he is crazy fun to play as.

I finally leveled my Krieg far enough to get Bloodsplosion.

Like most other things about Krieg, it is #*&@ing amazing.

Someday, I'll level him far enough to be on fire all the time while I'm making dudes go up in chain-reaction explosions.

Triscuitable
2013-10-02, 09:30 PM
I just plan on having one of each. I doubt that I will want to grind through it enough to play more than one low level of each.

If you plan on playing through on harder difficulties, you'll find that there's not so much of a grind as there is "progression". The longer you play, the more you level up.

Sharoth
2013-10-07, 09:08 AM
I picked up the Fibber at around level 27 or so. May is level 29 and I finally started to use it. wow. Talk about an awesome weapon.

Douglas
2013-10-07, 11:52 AM
I picked up the Fibber at around level 27 or so. May is level 29 and I finally started to use it. wow. Talk about an awesome weapon.
It's got several extremely different variations, and its stat card blatantly lies to you so you can only determine its actual stats by experimentation.

Geno9999
2013-10-07, 12:44 PM
I finally leveled my Krieg far enough to get Bloodsplosion.

Like most other things about Krieg, it is #*&@ing amazing.

Someday, I'll level him far enough to be on fire all the time while I'm making dudes go up in chain-reaction explosions.

That's kind of what I'm building my Krieg towards, but I haven't even got Bloodsplosion, but currently (http://www.bl2skills.com/psycho.html#52005313022000000000000000000000000) I have Buzz Axe Bombardier. Helps a lot with throwing buzzaxe accuracy, and procs both Bloodbath and Fuel the Blood.

This is the build I'm aiming for: 50 (http://www.bl2skills.com/psycho.html#52005513022100000000000054504100000)|6 1 (http://www.bl2skills.com/psycho.html#52205513022100000000000055504120051)|7 2 (http://www.bl2skills.com/psycho.html#55205515025100000000000055505140051)

MonarchAnarch
2013-10-07, 01:34 PM
I am coming back to BL2 after a long hiatus. My brother and I want to run through tiny tina's. I want to play my mechro (lvl13) but we both have a few lvl 50's. Is tiny tina's any fun with lower lvl characters?

Geno9999
2013-10-07, 02:49 PM
I am coming back to BL2 after a long hiatus. My brother and I want to run through tiny tina's. I want to play my mechro (lvl13) but we both have a few lvl 50's. Is tiny tina's any fun with lower lvl characters?

Tiny Tina's missions and enemies have a minimum level of 30.

Sharoth
2013-10-07, 02:54 PM
Yea. Tiny Tina's. I found out about the level 30 bit the hard way.

MonarchAnarch
2013-10-07, 02:57 PM
aight, sounds good, thanks all!

wiimanclassic
2013-10-14, 05:44 PM
So what do you guys think of the loot hunt so far?

Wagadodo
2013-10-15, 12:36 PM
I have been away from my Xbox for a while and haven't had the chance yet to participate. I hope to do so with in the next couple days.

Just need to find some people to play Borderlands 2 with me. So any one on Xbox that would like to play. Hit up Wagadodo.

Seatbelt
2013-10-15, 06:02 PM
I don't even know what it is...?

Lunix Vandal
2013-10-16, 12:37 AM
I don't even know what it is...?What, the loot hunt? Details here (https://www.borderlands2loothunt.com/), or else keep reading. :smalltongue:

Each day for the next 3 1/2 weeks one boss-level enemy (https://www.borderlands2loothunt.com/challenge) has a specific blue-or-better-rarity guaranteed drop. If you've signed up with both Gearbox SHiFT and the Loot Hunt site, killing the boss and getting the drop enters you into drawings for $150,000 USD in prizes (a total of $100k cash and $50k in assorted gaming paraphernalia). Furthermore, killing a specific enemy type with that day's boss loot weapons helps the entire community earn special unique weapons at the end of the week. (For example, if every kill goal is met this week, everyone that participated in the Loot Hunt will get a unique Moxxi-themed Maliwan rocket launcher.)

Oh, they're also buffing assorted weapons (https://www.borderlands2loothunt.com/news) each day for the duration of the hunt -- so far each day's change has directly buffed that day's boss loot and/or all weapons of the same type and manufacturer.

NeoVid
2013-10-23, 12:17 AM
The loot hunt got me playing a lot over the last few days, and I've had some of the luckiest drops I've ever seen.

Of course, they're all ones that aren't useful to me. Anyone want a level 59 Legendary Hunter mod, a level 57 pearlescent revolver, or some level 58 Ancient relics?

Soepvork
2013-10-24, 03:49 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but it seems appropriate to me.

Anyway, I was thinking of starting to play the Borderlands series (PS3, if that makes any difference), and I was wondering which one is generally considered the better one? If it's 2, would I miss out on anything by not knowing the first one, or can I happily start with 2 and not worry about anything.

Finally, is the extra in the GOTY editions worth spending the extra (quite considerable amount of) money on?

Thanks!

Sharoth
2013-10-24, 07:28 AM
On one hand you would not miss out on too much if you just started with Borderlands 2. OTOH, Borderlands 1 GOTY edition is only $20 so I would also pick it up if you can. Plus playing Borderlands 1 fills in some of the inside info. Is it worth picking up the Borderlands 2 Game of the Year edition for the extra content? Yes. Two extra classes, your characters can now go to level 72, and the 4 DLCs themselves all make it worth the $60 + tax. I already own the vannila version of Borderlands 2 and I bought Tiny Tina's DLC. Despite that, I will be buying the GOTY edition when I get the extra cash JUST for the extra goodies.

Sharoth
2013-10-24, 08:18 AM
I picked up T.K. Baha's Bloody Harvest last night and played through it. It was fun but short. There was only one side mission. I would have prefered a few more, but you can't complain too much for a $3 purchase, can you?

factotum
2013-10-24, 10:27 AM
I'd actually disagree with Sharoth there--I think Borderlands 2 and 1 are just too similar to each other; if you get both, you'll probably end up like me and get burnt out on one game and thus not really get into the other one. Basically, I would say that Borderlands 2 is overall a better game, but it does have annoyingly bullet-spongy enemies which become a royal pain if you're playing it single player--thus I'd recommend the first game if you don't intend playing much co-op. If co-op is your thing, then definitely get 2.

Sharoth
2013-10-24, 10:40 AM
~shrugs~ Oh, I agree with you on BL1 & 2 being very similar. OTOH, I started out with BL 1 and enjoyed it. Totally worth $20 to play through BL 1.

Balmas
2013-11-29, 06:40 PM
So, I've had Borderlands 2 for almost a year now, just languishing in my Steam library, and only just now rediscovered it about a week ago. Since then, I've spent most of a few days enjoying being a ninja sniper assassin. Only just rescued Roland yesterday, now level 15.

My question for you all is this: Which of all the DLC is the best? Is the season pass worth it?

Geno9999
2013-11-29, 06:58 PM
My question for you all is this: Which of all the DLC is the best? Is the season pass worth it?

Torgue and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep are the best out of the DLCs, and the Season Pass is worth it, since it also comes with Ultimate Vault Hunter pack 1.

However, all the DLCs take place after the main story, so spoilers left and right if you haven't completed the game. This is especially the case with Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep.

Balmas
2013-11-29, 10:09 PM
Torgue and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep are the best out of the DLCs, and the Season Pass is worth it, since it also comes with Ultimate Vault Hunter pack 1.

However, all the DLCs take place after the main story, so spoilers left and right if you haven't completed the game. This is especially the case with Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep.

Ah. Thank you!

Does the game end when you kill Jack, or can you continue?

Geno9999
2013-11-29, 11:03 PM
Ah. Thank you!

Does the game end when you kill Jack, or can you continue?

Short answer: yes, you can continue.

Long answer: Well, yeah you can continue after you kill Jack, how else are you supposed to get to level 72+ when Normal mode you can maybe reach level 36? Beating the Story in Normal Mode will give you access to True Vault Hunter Mode, which is just New Game+ where everything is scaled to lvl 35-50, and then beating True Vault Hunter Mode gives you access to Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode, provided you have the UVHM DLC. In UVHM, all the enemies, loot, and quests scale to your current level. Because of this, it's recommended you hop over to UVHM before or when you reach lvl 50, otherwise you're in for a rougher ride than Ultimate normally is.
Word of warning though: UVHM is where lots of builds and gear that might have worked in Normal or even TVHM fail. Slag is almost mandatory when you're playing through UVHM.

Seatbelt
2013-11-30, 09:00 AM
Delete the word almost from that sentence for an accurate statement. You need to have a viable slag weapon in your arsenal to be able to take down Badass anythings unless you're running a particularly broken build.

Balmas
2013-11-30, 07:37 PM
Of course. :smallmad: The day after I go and buy the season pass, the daily sale kicks in, to make the Game of the Year edition cheaper than what I paid for the season pass. :smallsigh:

Geno9999
2013-11-30, 07:50 PM
Oh, and don't forget to have this page (http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key#Latest_Shift_Codes) bookmarked. It has a list of Golden Keys/Customization codes that you can redeem. Be sure to check there often, as Randy Pitchford and the Borderlands 2 Facebook page often gives away Golden keys.
Golden Keys is only useful for getting Purple quality gear, and scales to your level when you open the Golden Chest with it. It's good for when you're leveling up your character, and you haven't found any good weapons for a while. However, it ONLY gives out Purple gear (and Blue rarity Relics,) and it can't give out Unique or Legendary gear, no matter how many keys you use.

Balmas
2013-12-09, 12:47 AM
Sooo... I actually have a question for y'all.

It's not a spoiler that Handsome Jack wants to kill you. Heck, that's established before your hand ever touches the controls. Welcome to the game. Here's the introductory scene. Here's the lovely attempt on your life with high explosives. Now you may begin playing.

With that said, why does he keep you alive?

Think about it. Jack is the president of the Hyperion corporation. The New-U stations, the things that serve as the in-game respawn system for you, are Hyperion technology. Heck, you respawn there when you die, while Hyperion agents like combat engineers either respawn somewhere safe or not at all.

My first thought was that it was a matter of money. Heck, there are even cut voice lines for Handsome Jack, taunting the player about how much money he's making money off the player. Except... When you die with no money, you get reformed for free.

What does Jack have to gain from bringing you back when he out-and-out wants to kill you?

Forrestfire
2013-12-09, 01:06 AM
There's a fun theory that got posted back on page 41 that made itself my headcanon:

Hyperion could be an inefficient cluster**** of a corporation--it could just be that bureaucracy and miles of red tape make it difficult to revoke New-U privileges.
After Roland started the resistance against Jack, Jack probably found out they had New-U access, and started filing the appropriate forms; a few years later, shortly before the beginning of Borderlands 2, they finally are cleared and the original Vault Hunters lose the ability to respawn. He submitted your forms after you defeated Wilhelm, as well, but they never got through because he forgot to fill out box 4 on the second page and failed to submit them notarized and in triplicate.
The Bureaucracy yields for no man, not even Handsome Jack.

Source (http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/comments/11dxbt/getting_the_lore_right_now_with_47_more_than_26/)

Triscuitable
2013-12-09, 01:12 AM
There's a fun theory that got posted back on page 41 that made itself my headcanon:

Despite the fact that Pitchford has debunked any theories on this. "It's a gameplay aspect; they have nothing to do with the actual story." Paul Hellquist also stated the mission where Jack pays you to kill yourself was a joke and shouldn't have been included.

In the words of MST3K, it's just a game. You should really just relax.

Togath
2013-12-09, 01:38 AM
Any tips for someone starting out?
At the moment I'm using the.. Zero? The assassin-guy.
Is he decent for soloing? Or does he do better in the multi-player game mode?
In a similar note.. What sorts of weapons should I aim for? Do any types stand out in general?

Triscuitable
2013-12-09, 01:47 AM
Zer0, I'd argue, is the second-worst for soloing, just behind Gaige, as they both are extremely squishy characters. The best is hands down, Salvador. Give him a Rubi or Grog Nozzle and any other gun, and he's unbeatable. Behind him are Axton followed by Krieg. Maya sits squarely in the middle as the "support that is not needed but does a damn fine job clumping enemies together".

ryuplaneswalker
2013-12-09, 02:32 AM

Source (http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/comments/11dxbt/getting_the_lore_right_now_with_47_more_than_26/)

They left out the inevitable conclusion of all of this.

Hyperion is not run by Handsome Jack, he is just a figurehead all of the true power lies within the masters of the Beauocracy.

The Vogons!

factotum
2013-12-09, 03:46 AM
Despite the fact that Pitchford has debunked any theories on this. "It's a gameplay aspect; they have nothing to do with the actual story." Paul Hellquist also stated the mission where Jack pays you to kill yourself was a joke and shouldn't have been included.

I always think that's kind of a cop-out, though. The New-U stations are clearly part of the game world and thus should be included in any explanation of it--if they didn't want them to be that way, they should have chosen a different method of resurrecting the players. I suppose they were limited by the fact they introduced the new-U in the original game, where it didn't matter who ran them. Still, even with that, I don't think it would have been *that* much of an effort for them to come up with a justification why the New-U works for you (and doesn't work for certain other people who shall remain nameless, for fear of spoilers)...the fact they didn't smacks of laziness.

Triscuitable
2013-12-09, 03:11 PM
It's a gameplay mechanic. The Vault Hunters never died in their exploits. It's just like when Revolver Ocelot explains to you how to resist the torture in Metal Gear Solid; he obviously never actually told Snake how to resist torture (and DEFINITELY did not know what the "square" and "circle" buttons were), but for gameplay reasons, it was a clever way to explain how to play the minigame.

Geno9999
2013-12-09, 03:36 PM
If New U-stations wasn't a thing in the game, the game would basically be hard as all heck, even in Normal Mode. Don't believe me? Just watch #1Life2Live twitch streams (http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=346717).

Coincidentally, how many people here would watch me try a Hardcore run of BL2, just to see how fast I die?

Balmas
2013-12-09, 04:42 PM
Coincidentally, how many people here would watch me try a Hardcore run of BL2, just to see how fast I die?

I cannot shout "ME!" quickly enough.

NeoVid
2013-12-09, 07:25 PM
Zer0, I'd argue, is the second-worst for soloing, just behind Gaige, as they both are extremely squishy characters. The best is hands down, Salvador. Give him a Rubi or Grog Nozzle and any other gun, and he's unbeatable. Behind him are Axton followed by Krieg. Maya sits squarely in the middle as the "support that is not needed but does a damn fine job clumping enemies together".

Gaige can be easy to solo with, as she's rarely solo. Having a floating murderbot doing most of the work for you really does make things easier. She also has health and shield refilling skills.

I actually had the hardest time staying alive with Krieg, until I was high enough level to get him one of his capstone abilities.

Triscuitable
2013-12-09, 07:54 PM
I actually had the hardest time staying alive with Krieg, until I was high enough level to get him one of his capstone abilities.

Like Salvador, he's very gear specific. There's a shield in Big Game Hunt that gives you 0 shields and a ton of resistance bonuses, which syncs perfectly with Krieg's "kill crush maim destroy" playstyle that gives him bonuses when his shields are down. Since you can't get those bonuses without a shield, it works out perfectly.

IIRC, that's a mode that was planned but cut out. It's why the graveyard glitch appeared; people were playing with others who enabled the broken hardcore mode, which "infected" (i.e., enabled broken hardcore) their saves. When they died, they lost all their progress.

Togath
2013-12-09, 08:06 PM
Trying a run of Axton now.. The starting areas are a heck of a lot easier than they were with Zer0.
Among other things, I have decent medium range now.. Rather than having to either snipe from too far away to be hit by enemies, or rush them in melee and hope I survive long enough to kill them.
Any tips for what to spend skill points on?

wiimanclassic
2013-12-09, 08:06 PM
Like Salvador, he's very gear specific. There's a shield in Big Game Hunt that gives you 0 shields and a ton of resistance bonuses, which syncs perfectly with Krieg's "kill crush maim destroy" playstyle that gives him bonuses when his shields are down. Since you can't get those bonuses without a shield, it works out perfectly.

IIRC, that's a mode that was planned but cut out. It's why the graveyard glitch appeared; people were playing with others who enabled the broken hardcore mode, which "infected" (i.e., enabled broken hardcore) their saves. When they died, they lost all their progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMnHqxoVgE
Eh, Krieg starts gear dependent till he picks up a cap skill where he becomes much less gear dependent depending on which one you get, then he eventually becomes that video and gear means nothing.

Also Krieg has Raving Retribution and the rants it causes are the best thing.

Triscuitable
2013-12-09, 08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMnHqxoVgE
Eh, Krieg starts gear dependent till he picks up a cap skill where he becomes much less gear dependent depending on which one you get, then he eventually becomes that video and gear means nothing.

Also Krieg has Raving Retribution and the rants it causes are the best thing.

Well, duh. :smalltongue: If Salvador had release the beast, it'd be nerfed, without a doubt.

Geno9999
2013-12-09, 09:10 PM
Trying a run of Axton now.. The starting areas are a heck of a lot easier than they were with Zer0.
Among other things, I have decent medium range now.. Rather than having to either snipe from too far away to be hit by enemies, or rush them in melee and hope I survive long enough to kill them.
Any tips for what to spend skill points on?

Alright, to answer you question, I need to ask you a question: what's your play style like?
This is important for all characters. As you've noted, Zer0 can either be a Melee Master Ninja, a terrifying Sniper. Axton focuses on his Turrets, being crazy awesome with Torgue weapons, or survival.

Triscuitable
2013-12-09, 09:32 PM
Alright, to answer you question, I need to ask you a question: what's your play style like?
This is important for all characters. As you've noted, Zer0 can either be a Melee Master Ninja, a terrifying Sniper. Axton focuses on his Turrets, being crazy awesome with Torgue weapons, or survival.

You want turrets and survival.

Seatbelt
2013-12-09, 10:11 PM
You want turrets and survival.

To expound upon this if you avoid getting the "your turret shoots rockets" skill you are deliberately nerfing yourself. My turret remained the single most important offensive piece of gear I owned even through my UVM playthrough. I had a hard time killing things. They could clear whole areas by themselves.

Triscuitable
2013-12-10, 12:16 AM
To expound upon this if you avoid getting the "your turret shoots rockets" skill you are deliberately nerfing yourself. My turret remained the single most important offensive piece of gear I owned even through my UVM playthrough. I had a hard time killing things. They could clear whole areas by themselves.

And definitely be the one slagging things. They've got the firepower. Your turrets are the real Vault Hunter, and you're just the turret. Support them. Got it?

Seatbelt
2013-12-10, 04:17 AM
And definitely be the one slagging things. They've got the firepower. Your turrets are the real Vault Hunter, and you're just the turret. Support them. Got it?

That's more or less how I played. Although I did go for the double turret double slag route. On UVM its nice that everything is slagged all the time once they hit the field.

Demolator
2013-12-10, 11:58 AM
I ended up neglecting the survival tree for the most part and I love my Axton, though he could stand to be a bit less dependent on that turret. That goes for all the characters and their skills though.

Triscuitable
2013-12-10, 05:35 PM
I ended up neglecting the survival tree for the most part and I love my Axton, though he could stand to be a bit less dependent on that turret. That goes for all the characters and their skills though.

They wouldn't be their characters without their skills. They'd be "Blank the Adventurer" with slight stat alterations.

Togath
2013-12-10, 05:43 PM
With regards to combat style, I'd been mainly sniping, and moving in with a "increases accuracy as you fire" pistol afterwards.. Though now that I'm remembering the turret more, I'm having a much easier time =D

Geno9999
2013-12-10, 06:17 PM
With regards to combat style, I'd been mainly sniping, and moving in with a "increases accuracy as you fire" pistol afterwards.. Though now that I'm remembering the turret more, I'm having a much easier time =D

Ah, Hyperion weapons. Hyperion makes very good SMGs and Pistols, and a few notable Shotguns too, might want to check them out. They also produce singularity grenades, which work really well with a Zer0 specced into B0re, as it groups everybody up together for maximum bonus damage. About 99% of their Sniper Rifles are terrible though, you're better off with other companies because of the initial scope sway. The only Sniper rifle I recommend from Hyperion is the Morning Star, but uh... It's not without it's downsides (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMaN_bHmMBc)...

mangosta71
2013-12-10, 06:28 PM
Yeah, there's nothing in BL2 that makes me curse like finding a purple+ sniper rifle only to discover that it's made by Hyperion or Dahl.

Geno9999
2013-12-10, 06:41 PM
Yeah, there's nothing in BL2 that makes me curse like finding a purple+ sniper rifle only to discover that it's made by Hyperion or Dahl.

Well Dahl can actually be pretty good if you're a Zer0 that specced into Critical Ascensi0n. And even then, it's mostly to build up stacks for your main Sniper Rifle.

wiimanclassic
2013-12-10, 06:49 PM
Well Dahl can actually be pretty good if you're a Zer0 that specced into Critical Ascensi0n. And even then, it's mostly to build up stacks for your main Sniper Rifle.

But isn't Critical Ascens0n the WORST cap skill in the game since you need to cheese the game to actually make good use of it?

ex cathedra
2013-12-10, 06:54 PM
well, yes, but if you do cheese it it's very strong.

i think the scenario in which its useless when used one way but strong when used another, much more niche, way is better than the scenario in which it is always useless

obviously neither scenario is optimal but game balance isn't exactly borderlands' forte

Geno9999
2013-12-10, 07:29 PM
well, yes, but if you do cheese it it's very strong.

i think the scenario in which its useless when used one way but strong when used another, much more niche, way is better than the scenario in which it is always useless

obviously neither scenario is optimal but game balance isn't exactly borderlands' forte

^Pretty much.
Critical Acensi0n is also worth considering if you're using Vladof Snipers (especially the already powerful Lyuda,) or even a Maliwan Rakehell (Sniper Rifle with a Vladof barrel.)
Also, a Sniper Rifle stockpile relic is pretty much a requirement.

Forrestfire
2013-12-10, 09:44 PM
The only Sniper rifle I recommend from Hyperion is the Morning Star, but uh... It's not without it's downsides (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMaN_bHmMBc)...

Downsides? :smallconfused::smallamused:

Togath
2013-12-11, 04:36 AM
Can rocket launcher ammo be obtained via vending machines like normal ammo?

Ryuho Tsugu
2013-12-11, 04:52 AM
Can rocket launcher ammo be obtained via vending machines like normal ammo?

Yes, starting at (I think) Tundra Express.

Togath
2013-12-11, 06:02 AM
What level range is that at?

Ryuho Tsugu
2013-12-11, 06:50 AM
It's been months since I last played, but I want to say around 16.

JediSoth
2013-12-11, 01:44 PM
Anyone know how are the new DLCs? Suitable for solo play, or full of bullet-sponge mobs like Big Game Hunt?

Togath
2013-12-11, 02:38 PM
It's been months since I last played, but I want to say around 16.

Not too far away then =D

Geno9999
2013-12-11, 03:47 PM
Anyone know how are the new DLCs? Suitable for solo play, or full of bullet-sponge mobs like Big Game Hunt?

You mean Tiny Tina and after?
Tiny Tina's Attack on Dragon's Keep is a lot of fun, though the Skeleton Mages will most likely make you scream in rage unless you have a rocket launcher. Has lots of good weapons in there, such as Magic Missile, Lightning Bolt (and their respective legendary variants,) SWORDSPOLSION, and the Handsome Sorcerer has the same drops as the Warrior.

T. K. Baha's Bloody Harvest is very easy, though the skeleton mobs, like in Tiny Tina's, are resistant to fire, despite being copy paste of the standard Marauders and Psychos enemies. The Pumpkin Kingpin/Jacques is pretty easy. I heard he was designed to be beatable by players with white equipment, so he's really easy to solo.

Wattle Gobbler is likewise an easy dlc. I haven't been through it myself, but I've been told that the titular boss is only about as difficult as Wilhelm. Easy EXP, easy solo, and he has three? red chests after you beat him, so that's a plus.

None of the Headhunter packs (T. K. and Wattle) have unique weapons, so outside of farming them for easy EXP, easy access to Red chests, they're a disappointingly short romps.

Togath
2013-12-12, 07:30 PM
Any tips for soloing Dr. Mercy as a commando?
It seems like it would be an easy fight if I can get my turret behind him.. but I'm not sure how to catch him with it.

Hida Reju
2013-12-12, 08:25 PM
It seems like it would be an easy fight if I can get my turret behind him.. but I'm not sure how to catch him with it.

Slag him with a rocket launcher then use Explosive weapons. They ignore his shield for the most part I fight him with a Torgue AR with a Spin Barrel or a Torgue Shotgun.

If you clear the mobs before you get to him its pretty easy.

Geno9999
2013-12-12, 08:36 PM
Slag him with a rocket launcher then use Explosive weapons. They ignore his shield for the most part I fight him with a Torgue AR with a Spin Barrel or a Torgue Shotgun.

If you clear the mobs before you get to him its pretty easy.

Forget the rocket launcher, Togath's probably still in Normal Mode, right? Rocket Launchers, especially a Slag version, is hard to come by that early.

Dr. Mercy is no different from a regular Nomad with a shield. If you shoot him with an element (especially Slag or Fire) on his shield, it should proc on himself. Grenades are also useful for taking out Nomads in general, and Torgue weaponry should sometimes make them stagger backwards, exposing themselves more, as well as having the splash damage to hit them past their shield.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-13, 09:52 PM
You could also just strafe him while he's busy fruitlessly shooting your turret.

Alex Knight
2013-12-13, 10:16 PM

*Ahem*

<Krieg> "FIRE! Burning brightly glowing like the tender ashes of my heart! </Krieg>

Togath
2013-12-14, 12:00 AM
You could also just strafe him while he's busy fruitlessly shooting your turret.

This ended up being what I did(well, that and throwing a fire grenade I found)

Hida Reju
2013-12-14, 06:40 AM
In normal I never had a problem with anything as a Commando until I got to Mad Mike. After Mad Mike I rarely ran into an issue that a turret could not solve while I killed the bad guys.

After normal all bets are off if the turret is enough to save you and you should be using Slag as much as possible to boost your damage to deal with the stupid high HP that starts to show up.

This is about the time I abandoned the turret for DPS and moved it to pure distraction.

3rd Playthough (UTVH) is just silly solo and almost not worth the trouble.

I will mention that 99% of my time is solo so team tactics are sadly not available.

Balmas
2013-12-14, 10:01 AM
Welp, I finally beat the Warrior for the first time today, using the time-honored tradition of cowering in a corner where it couldn't hit me while I plinked away at its health.

Incidentally, you know that it's going to be a good playthrough when you slash into a bit of frozen ice and find a Slagga. :smallbiggrin:

Artanis
2013-12-14, 10:05 AM
Gettin' about that time: time to suggest names for the next thread!

My suggestion:

Borderlands 2 Thread 2: True Post Hunter Mode!

Geno9999
2013-12-14, 11:52 AM
Thread suggestion:
Borderlands 2 Thread II: Ain't no thread for no hero

Sith_Happens
2013-12-14, 01:42 PM
Borderlands 2 Thread II: Pop Goes the Bandit

Borderlands 2 Thread II: Man, These Pretzels Suck

Balmas
2013-12-14, 02:09 PM

This has my vote!

Logic
2013-12-14, 03:55 PM
Butt Stallion presents: Borderlands 2 Thread II

Triscuitable
2013-12-14, 05:19 PM
Borderlands: Where the Cars Live

Dhavaer
2013-12-14, 05:28 PM

Also voting for this.

Togath
2013-12-14, 06:41 PM

Voting for this as well.

ScrambledBrains
2013-12-14, 06:55 PM

It must be this. :smallbiggrin:

Geno9999
2013-12-14, 08:57 PM
And lo and behold, it was so. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319959)