PDA

View Full Version : Magic Grappling Items

Scribble
2012-09-16, 05:26 PM
Hey there, I'm making a wrestler in my current game and I was wondering if you all know some good magic items to increase my grapple mod. I've already got a Strength Belt and some Titan Grip Gloves so I was wondering if there are any other grappling focused magic items. Pretty much open season on books (trying to stay away from third party though) and we're using pathfinder too.

Agent 451
2012-09-16, 10:00 PM
Magic of Incarnum has a lot more combinations that lend themselves well to grapplers, and I'm pretty sure I've seen various uses within optimized grappling builds.

For items, Belt of Giant Strength grants +2 insight bonus to grapple checks, as do Gauntlets of Ogre Power (if you invest essentia and bind them to a chakra).

I know it's not an item, but if Incarnum is allowed there is the Open Lesser Chakra feat, which can give a +2 insight bonus to grapple checks. Totemists can bind Girallon Arms to their Arm Chakra, granting a +2 competence bonus to grapple checks, and additional essentia points invested a +2 to grapple.

Scribble
2012-09-17, 05:29 AM
Yes, already playing a totemist and doing the Girallon Arms, also the Kraken Mantle gives a grapple bonus when bound. That's why I was looking for magic items, I've done about all I can with feats and classes.

Though I did find the Grappling Tentacle fiendish graft. Gives a +4 effect Str, which applies to grapples, also a further +4 to maintain a grapple or to pin or cause damage in a grapple.. so there's that.

Darrin
2012-09-17, 07:11 AM
The best items for buffing your grappling will be anything that increases your size or changes your shape into something bigger. The two best items for changing your shape:

Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG p. 135). All-day polymorph up to 7HD. Remorhaz is fun.

Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, BoVD p. 111). +1 leather armor with alter self at will.

Also somewhat useful: Cloak of Quills (2500 GP, MIC) and Burnoose of 1001 Thorns (3000 GP, MIC). Both have a limited number of uses per day, although the Cloak is probably better because it's only a free action to activate. However, they occupy different body slots, so you can wear both if you like.

Ring of Lightning Flashes (11500 GP, MIC) is also nifty little joybuzzer to have in a grapple: 5d6 electricity damage to everything within 5', 3/day, and anything you're physically in contact with gets no save.