PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Hunting

Coidzor
2012-09-16, 05:47 PM
So, it's looking like I need to consider my options here, and I have no idea how to begin looking into the matter and what red flags a neophyte should know to look out for.

The Succubus
2012-09-16, 06:07 PM
When apartment hunting, you have to consider what sort of bait to use and the appropriate caliber of the rifle...

On a more serious note, I can help.

1) Don't be rushed into making a decision. I'm not sure about your economic situation but over here it's definitely a shopper's market when looking for new flats and homes. Look at several and trust your gut.

2) Paper work is your friend. Go over a lease contract with a fine tooth comb. It's bloody boring but it's essential that you don't miss any details, especially with regards to terminating a contract if needs be.

3) Location. Where is the flat situated - is it a huge apartment block or a small group close together. Think about proximity - are you going to have noisy neighbours or make a lot of noise yourself. Is the flat in a place you'd feel safe walking around at night?

4) Furnishings. Is it unfurnished or will the landlord be providing any of the furniture? Who is liable for damages, what condition is it in, can you move it away or ask your landlord to if needed? Who is taking care of utilities like pipework, electricity?

5) Insurance. Get some.

6) Poke and prod around. That funny stain on the ceiling - what is it? Is it rising damp, a burst pipe, did the previous owner have indoor bonfires?

I'll have a think for a bit and if any more suggestions spring to mind, I'll edit this post.

MonkeyBusiness
2012-09-16, 10:12 PM
In addition the Succubus' good advice I'd add:

Find out who performs maintennance on the unit. Apartment complexes that are large may have a "handyman" who lives on site and can be called even after hours. Smaller apartment buildings might be in the charge of a large agency that over sees several different properties, but has one maintennance company they call on for upkeep and repairs. Whatever the situation, find out who you can call if something important breaks late at night.

When the landlord has a regular caretaker to call on, you know that the job is likely to get done right away, and that there won't be any hassle about sending the bill to the landlord, not you.

And I second the recommendation for renter's insurance.

-Monkey

Tyndmyr
2012-09-17, 03:51 PM
Good advice, all. Especially the reading of the entire lease agreement. It'll help you find those pesky clauses that you could otherwise violate by accident.

In addition, I suggest investigating parking. Anything with pass-based parking and annoying tow policies is best avoided. Seriously, one tow can easily set you back a decent chunk of change at a random point in time, and depending on area, you may not have anti-predatory towing laws.

Additionally, if you have a bud in the area, ask them for advice. A person who knows the local area is going to have much more specific information for you than we will be able to, speaking generally.

I also suggest driving by prospective places at night before signing anything. Gets you a MUCH better feel for what kind of neighborhood it is.

Logic
2012-09-17, 06:45 PM
In addition, there are several websites devoted to apartments and other occupant's experiences with any particular complex you may be looking at.

Keep in mind: If a positive review sounds like a sales pitch, it is probably the staff trying to make their place look better.

If a negative review is primarily complaining about the staff, it is likely the author is terrible at taking care of other people's things.

Parking is usually difficult in an apartment complex, this should not be a deal-breaker item for you. Noise is something to be expected as well, because you WILL share walls with someone.

I hope this helps.