PDA

View Full Version : The Core Four in Everything

Anderlith
2012-09-16, 10:46 PM
So everyone knows that dnd has four basic roles, fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue. So I thought hey it would be cool to point out this trope in other forms of Sci-fi & fantasy & we can all talk about the recurring roles & point out others.

Here's an example from Stargate: SG1

O'Neall- Cleric (respectable fighting ability & keeps everyone running smoothly)
Jackson- Wizard (Shouldn't need much proof here, he even had Merlin's powers for a bit)
Carter- Rogue (She's the scientist/juryrigger)
Teal'c- Fighter (Duh he's a Jaffa, it's what he does)

SowZ
2012-09-16, 10:57 PM
So everyone knows that dnd has three basic roles, fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue. So I thought hey it would be cool to point out this trope in other forms of Sci-fi & fantasy & we can all talk about the recurring roles & point out others.

Here's an example from Stargate: SG1

O'Neall- Cleric (respectable fighting ability & keeps everyone running smoothly)
Jackson- Wizard (Shouldn't need much proof here, he even had Merlin's powers for a bit)

Typo there, I think. But, uh, let's see...

Star Trek-
McCoy: Cleric 3. A doctor, not a necromancer!
Kirk: Fighter. Fighter 2/Bard 1. Typical solution, punch things. Of course, Int. is not his dump stat.
Spock: Rogue? Rogue 1/Psion 1/Fighter 1. Has a bajillion skills. Basically flexible enough to do anything, also with the highest strength, con, AND intelligence of the party.
Scotty: Wizard. Always comes up with some technobabble solution. The guy who can pull a trick out of a bag and save the day? Sounds like a wizard to me. Wizard 1/Artificer 2.

Parra
2012-09-17, 02:36 AM

I would actually have called Carter the Wizard. Using the ol SuperTech=Magic, the amount of 'sagey' technobabble she comes out with would put her firmly in the wizard role.

Jackson as the Cleric, for similar reasons you put him as wizard. Daniel always had a more spiritual/mysticism role in the group than the others (cept Teal'c at times, be he would be more Monk inclined). Certainly more a spiritual/religious vibe than an arcane techno vibe imo.

And the O'Neill as a Rogue he has that typical rogue charm, the shady spec-ops skills and does most of the cloak and dagger stuff.

TomPliss
2012-09-17, 05:07 AM
And the O'Neill as a Rogue he has that typical rogue charm, the shady spec-ops skills and does most of the cloak and dagger stuff.And as he is MacGuyver !

doc225
2012-09-17, 09:12 AM
Which reminds me of this little gem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdY3L-JYzk

SgtCarnage92
2012-09-17, 10:54 PM
I do this with my friends all the time.

The Avengers (as portrayed in the recent movie by the Master Joss Whedon)

Thor: Fighter/Cleric: Incredibly fighting ability as well as a number of abilities derived from divine influence (He is a god after all)

Iron Man: The wizard: Super genius who figured out how to stop his own death using his intelligence while under dire circumstances. Pretty much the guy you go to when you need something crazy done.

Cap. America: The fighter, but with possibly a level of bard: Is the most in your face combat oriented of the party. While his power level isn't on par with everyone else, his charisma and leadership allow him to act as party leader guiding the others to where they are most needed and inspiring them to do their best.

Black Widow: The Rogue: Lightly armored but has a multitude of skills that allow her to be useful. The ex-russian assassin thing helps too.

Honorable Mentions:
The Hulk: Barbarian...primary class feature is his rage after all...
Hawkeye: The ranger...light combat support with a bow...

Logic
2012-09-18, 12:54 AM
I do this with my friends all the time.

The Avengers (as portrayed in the recent movie by the Master Joss Whedon)

Thor: Fighter/Cleric: Incredibly fighting ability as well as a number of abilities derived from divine influence (He is a god after all)

Iron Man: The wizard: Super genius who figured out how to stop his own death using his intelligence while under dire circumstances. Pretty much the guy you go to when you need something crazy done.

Cap. America: The fighter, but with possibly a level of bard: Is the most in your face combat oriented of the party. While his power level isn't on par with everyone else, his charisma and leadership allow him to act as party leader guiding the others to where they are most needed and inspiring them to do their best.

Black Widow: The Rogue: Lightly armored but has a multitude of skills that allow her to be useful. The ex-russian assassin thing helps too.

Honorable Mentions:
The Hulk: Barbarian...primary class feature is his rage after all...
Hawkeye: The ranger...light combat support with a bow...
I'd say Cap is more in line with a Paladin than just fighter/ maybe bard. Bards have to be unlawful and unlawful Cap ain't (except that whole trying-to-join-the-military-on-multiple-occasions-and-falsifying-government-records thing.)

SgtCarnage92
2012-09-18, 01:10 AM
I'd say Cap is more in line with a Paladin than just fighter/ maybe bard. Bards have to be unlawful and unlawful Cap ain't (except that whole trying-to-join-the-military-on-multiple-occasions-and-falsifying-government-records thing.)

I thought about it later and yeah that does make more sense. He fits the pali role pretty much dead on (minus the whole divine influence thing). Cap. is how to play Lawful Good right!

Re'ozul
2012-09-18, 04:46 PM
Babylon 5 core 4:

Steven Franklin - Cleric (heals and is moral guideline)
Susan Ivanova - Rogue (Well informed; succeeds in skills without a clue why)
John Sheridan - Wizard (pulls out miraculous plans/plots as necessary)
Michael Garibaldi - Fighter (proven often enough)