PDA

View Full Version : Looking at running Realms of Cthulhu...

obryn
2012-09-17, 12:16 PM
I've been wanting to run Savage Worlds for the longest time, and my players have been begging me to get another mission in for our long-dormant Call of Cthulhu d20 game. I've had miserable writers block and low motivation for the latter, but it looks like Realms of Cthulhu will be a good way to accomplish a few of our shared goals at once. :)

I tend to run modern-era with a more "pulpy" feel for my Cthulhu games. Grave danger, yes, but also shootouts with deranged cultists, running over Deep Ones with cars, putting bullets into Mi-Go, and the odd spell cast here or there. For longer campaigns, as far as I'm concerned, if each mission has a 50% mortality rate I'm doing something wrong.*

Realms of Cthulhu looks like it has what I am looking for, but I have no way of knowing a few things... (FYI, for my d20 CoC game, I use the rules for VP/WP)

(1) How Heroic is the standard Savage Worlds damage track? How endangered are the PCs at any given point?
(2) How Gritty is the Gritty version in the Realms of Cthulhu book? Do you get excessive body counts, or is it a pretty fair system?

Thanks, all! I can describe the "gritty" variety in better detail if it will help! Every single one of us is a Savage Worlds newbie, so any advice is helpful!

* Not for one-shots, though. One shots means "more bodies, more fun" IME