PDA

View Full Version : Backstory generator

keen320
2012-09-18, 12:14 AM
If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

I thought it would be funny to make a random backstory generator based off some fantasy cliches about origin stories. If anyone has any ideas about things to add or change, feel free.

Roll the specified die for each category to determine number of rolls, and then roll a d% that many times to determine elements. In cases of mutually exclusive elements, find a way to make it work.

Origin (d4)
(1-30) Identical twin/triplet/quadruplet (roll d% to determine alignment of twin, 1)
(31-35)Prophesied birth
(36-40)Heir to (Roll d% to determine, 2), can change one motivation to “Heirloom Retrieval”
(41-45)Born to Nobility
(46-65)Born to Commoners
(66-75)Unusual Parent
(76-90)Orphaned by (random encounter table in a bestiary – roll a d10 to choose environment, d3 if you get dungeon, then roll d%)
(91-100)Orphaned by (your choice how)

Early Life (d4)

(1-10)Noble upbringing
(11-25)Common upbringing
(26-35)Hometown destroyed by (insert evil NPC here)
(36-40)Grew up on the streets
(41-45)Poor upbringing (roll to determine magnitude, 3)
(46-50)Wealthy upbringing (roll to determine magnitude, 4)
(51-65)Raised by (random encounter table in a bestiary – roll a d10 to choose environment, d3 if you get dungeon, then roll d%, if impossible, roll again)
(66-80)Troubled past (as in, crime or somesuch)
(81-90)Committed a major crime or misdeed
(91-95)Attended a school (dedicated to his chosen class, like a magic school for sorcerers or wizards)
(95-100)Apprenticed to a trade for some period of time (roll d% to determine what trade)

Motivation (d4)

(1)Amnesia
(2-12)Atonement
(13-30)Fame (or infamy)
(31-40)Revenge - Can be added for free
(41-50)Heirloom Retrieval
(51-70)Wealth or power
(71-80)Cause
(81-90)Coerced
(91-100)On the run for some crime or misdeed, real or not

1: Roll a d% to determine Good-Evil axis (1-30% Good, 31-50% Neutral, 51-100% Evil), another to determine Law-Chaos axis (1-40% Lawful, 41-61% Neutral, 61-100% Chaotic), and another to determine extent of knowledge (1-60% None, 61-90% Existence, 91-100% Existence and Alignment).

2: Kingdom or appropriate equivalent (1-10%), Other land or title, such as duke, chief, barony (11-30%), legacy (31-50%), some wealthy guy (51-99%), Divinity (100%)

3: roll a d4: slave, massively in debt, penniless, barely getting by

4: roll a d4: own a business, own a thriving business, own lands, own many lands

Random encounter tables assume Pathfinder Bestiary, feel free to substitute whatever you want.

I had the idea a while ago, and just decided to complete it and add percentages to finish it.

joe
2012-09-18, 12:30 AM
For Early Life or Motivation there should also be. "Hometown was destroyed by (evil NPC)" or something to that effect. All those doomed hometowns after all. ;)

darni
2012-09-18, 10:23 AM
You could steal find some good ideas in the "Lifepath" section of the Cyberpunk 2020 core rulebook. It provides a very neat flowchart with multiple options that generate many interesting ties to the world.

I've even used it to generate fantasy characters with just a bit of refluffing. The appearance section probably should be scratched (unless you want bards with piercings and sunglasses), but most of the familiy/motivations is straightly converted (or almost, replacing stuff like "corporate family" with "noble family").

It also generates a lot of relevant NPCs. It works very cool if you overlap those relationships (friends/enemies/lovers/family) with other PCs or NPCs related to another players (and makes easy to get PC togethers, when one PC is the "the brother of my best friend"

Mastikator
2012-09-18, 12:26 PM
Neat stuff, just one question, why is evil more likely than good?

Erik Vale
2012-09-18, 05:51 PM
Because evil twins are good plothooks.

Dr.Epic
2012-09-18, 07:07 PM
Father was a deity or ultra-powerful being
Father disappeared under mysterious circumstances
Father was killed by big bad
Father was taken prisoner by big bad
Father is big bad
Father banished you to prove your worth
Father was cursed and you're the one who can break it

Rixx
2012-09-18, 08:45 PM
Roll to see how your parents died

Not "if" your parents died, what are you thinking

keen320
2012-09-18, 10:09 PM
Father is big bad
I like this. Anyone think I should make a roll to determine if it is your father or mother?

Roll to see how your parents died

Not "if" your parents died, what are you thinking
Are you saying I am doing it this way, or I should do it this way? Because if it's the former, you only roll the how if it lands on one where your parents would have died.

And incidentally, how do I get it to specify who I'm quoting?

An Enemy Spy
2012-09-19, 01:28 AM
Hair loss.

"You're gonna pay for this, Superboy! You're gonna pay! ARRRRRRRRRGHHHH!!!"

Cespenar
2012-09-21, 06:00 AM
I like this. Anyone think I should make a roll to determine if it is your father or mother?

1d20.

1-19: Father
20: Father

Because, for some reason, mothers don't matter.

20percentcooler
2012-09-21, 06:03 AM
Father is big bad

A dead Sister always helps.

Acanous
2012-09-21, 08:15 AM
Except in those cases where you were twins seperated at birth, and you only find out AFTER you exchanged fluids.

I'm looking at you, Lucas.

An Enemy Spy
2012-09-21, 01:55 PM
Except in those cases where you were twins seperated at birth, and you only find out AFTER you exchanged fluids.

I'm looking at you, Lucas.

When did Luke and Leia ever do that? I remember one fairly innocent peck on the cheek and one kiss to annoy Han(yeah, that's a little uncomfortable in hindsight). I think that was the most that ever happened between them.