PDA

View Full Version : Is Duelist viable? [3.P]

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-18, 01:08 AM
This is just a thought, I don't plan on playing it or anything.
Is it just me, or is a Swordlord/Duelist actually a viable einhander character?
At Duelist 10, we have +10 damage and +12 from Piranha Strike, total of +22.
A two-hander gets +18 from Power Attack.
That's disconsidering that with Dervish Dance or Aldori Swordlord + Agile weapons, a finesse fighter gets better return from their main stat than Str-based warriors. Using the same above comparison and considering 30 in the main stat, the Duelist get a better lead: now it's 42 plus weapon damage, versus 33 plus weapon damage from the two-hander.

It's at least nice that a focused einhander outdamages a default two-hander. I'm pretty sure a focused two-hander outdamages a Duelist, though.

Thoughts on this?

Kadarai
2012-09-18, 02:04 AM
Isn't piranha Strike only usable with light weapons? Dervish Dance and Aldori Sword Mastery allow you to combine duelist with non-piercing one-handed weapons but don't make them light. Also the duelist must use hte Aldori sword one-handed, not two-handed to benefit. They do get the normal power attack though, getting really big numbers. And you reduce MAD considerably. You only need good INT(don't raise it) and put anything else in DEX. You only need one level in the Aldori Swordlord PrC to add DEX to dmg with the Aldori Sword (fighter5/Aldori1/Duelist10), or just the Dervish Dance feat for the scimitrar (fighter6/Duelist10) so you need nothing else.

You also benefit from better armor class, especially dodge bonuses. Combined with the Duelist bonuses for fighting defensively, free-hand fighter for defense and fighter abilities and feats to mitigate the attack penalty, you really make a "Swordlord" in every sense of the word. It can outclass most other melee characters.

You can also try it with Dawnflower Dervish Bard/Duelist and Dervish Dance. Is a bit harder for the prerequisites for the Duelist and you enter the prestige later (bard8/duelist10 or bard9for inspire greatness - 4d10+4xCON tempHP is nice), but the doubly buffed bardic song, added bard spellcasting (13charisma is more than enough) and feats can be devastating. (+4atk/+4dmg Ispire, +10Dmg Duelist, +12 dmg Power Attack, +2atk/2dmg Good Hope spell= +6atk/+28dmg with 15-20/x2 threat range before you add your dexterity)

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-18, 02:10 AM
Isn't piranha Strike only usable with light weapons? Dervish Dance and Aldori Sword Mastery allow you to combine duelist with non-piercing one-handed weapons but don't make them light. Also the duelist must use hte Aldori sword one-handed, not two-handed to benefit. They do get the normal power attack though, getting really big numbers. And you reduce MAD considerably. You only need good INT(don't raise it) and put anything else in DEX.
If you can't take Piranha Strike, just take Power Attack. All you need is Str 13. Quite doable, I think.

You also benefit from better armor class, especially dodge bonuses. Combined with the Duelist bonuses for fighting defensively, free-hand fighter for defense and fighter abilities and feats to mitigate the attack penalty, you really make a "Swordlord" in every sense of the word. It can outclass most other melee characters.
I don't know, heavy armor fighters can get kickass AC in Pathfinder. The real bonus is the mobility, I'm pretty sure a heavy armor fighter has better AC.

You can also try it with Dawnflower Dervish Bard/Duelist and Dervish Dance. Is a bit harder for the prerequisites for the Duelist and you enter the prestige later, but the doubly buffed bardic song, added bard spellcasting (13charisma is more than enough) and feats can be devastating. (+4atk/+4dmg Ispire, +10Dmg Duelist, +12 dmg Power Attack, +2atk/2dmg Good Hope spell= +6atk/+28dmg with 15-20/x2 threat range before you add your dexterity)
Technically a Magus could do it better, but for both Magus and Bard giving up spell progression is rough.