PDA

View Full Version : Dhampir Monk recurring villain [Pathfinder]

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-18, 02:46 AM
OK, so I had this mental image of a fight where my players have a bad guy on the cords but he breaks away, drains energy from people on the streets and comes back for more. Or having him draining people left and right while they are fighting.

My current plan is a Hungry Ghost Qigong Monk. I won't this guy (or maybe I'll have her as a she, I don't know yet) to be quite powerful, and Qigong does hat well. It also comboes nicely with Hungry Ghost, which fits the flavor I want perfectly. I'm thinking of this guy as level 13. He should go against a party of 6 (maybe even 7) level 7 characters and it should be quite a fight. I expect him/her to run away when he/she loses around 1/2 of total hp.

I'm not familiar with Qigong Monk, though. Any suggestions on how this should be a good encounter?

Psyren
2012-09-18, 04:16 AM
There's not much to Qinggong really. It's literally "take sucky monk ability X, replace it with SLA Y from this list." If you understand the spells themselves (and I think you do) then you know which ones would be good.

At level 13, he has plenty of ways to pull off annoying escapes. Gaseous Form, Gliding Steps, Spider Step, even Shadow Walk for really long-distance fleeing. (This last can be a nice hook too - SW can take along unwilling targets, so he can kidnap a party member or key NPC.)

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-18, 05:56 AM
I was toying with style feats, and I think I'll take Crane Style, since it helps with defense, allows her to use a weapon and it allows me to call her the Red Crane. I don't know about weapons, since the only monk weapon with critical 19-20 is the cestus and that's not exactly cool.

I mean, it's no contest:
Flurry, keen cestus: attack bonus 11/11/6/6/1/1, crits 17-20
Scimitar, keen: attack bonus 9/4, crits 15-20

More attack rolls is too important. I might just grandfather the Butterfly Sword from Oriental Adventures into PF and call it a day, though.