PDA

View Full Version : [PF] My inexperienced party

Thattaman
2012-09-18, 02:08 PM
OK, so I'm quite experienced with PbP Pathfinder and now I want to start a game of RL, I've tried this twice before, once with a homebrew fourth edition, second with a Pathfinder Evil campaign and in both my players lost complete interest (well, most of them). Now, I want to play a game of RotRL anniversary edition, but I want to play it properly and get past second level. I've changed my players since last time, who seem a bit more commited but I want advice to make sure I get a proper campaign out of this.

LanSlyde
2012-09-18, 02:37 PM
Well, I'm not sure what to tell you, but we tend to dish out standard exp for players that show up. Then whatever occurs during the meet (RP, combat, whatever) is just all the more bonus. It might lead to rapid leveling, depending on how much exp your willing to give, but we find it helps keep a group from falling apart.

Thattaman
2012-09-18, 02:49 PM
Well, I'm not sure what to tell you, but we tend to dish out standard exp for players that show up. Then whatever occurs during the meet (RP, combat, whatever) is just all the more bonus. It might lead to rapid leveling, depending on how much exp your willing to give, but we find it helps keep a group from falling apart.

Sorry, I don't know what that has to do with my problem. You see that my problem is how to get my players more interested because they're inexperieced at roleplaying games in general, the problem wasn;t anything to do with XP in game, it was runnign a proper game.

LanSlyde
2012-09-18, 03:00 PM
Sorry, I don't know what that has to do with my problem. You see that my problem is how to get my players more interested because they're inexperieced at roleplaying games in general, the problem wasn;t anything to do with XP in game, it was runnign a proper game.

Ah, well then! the only thing I can suggest is paint them a pretty picture. The better you are at conveying details and scenes may be the key to your characters taking a genuine liking to RPGs and losing interest and dropping out of the game.

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-18, 03:03 PM

Are they video gamers? If so, play up the options available. Let them explore the freedom that tabletop games offer, reward their creativity and generally push the feel that this is a CRPG only better. It'll require a bit of willingness to anti-railroad and improvise from you, but it's what got me hooked.

Are they fans of fantasy lit? Play up the interactive storytelling. Make sure they know that this is their story, and they get to choose how it progresses and how it ends, at least to some degree. These folks will focus on the narrative and setting, so make sure to keep it going and don't skimp on the descriptions. Get them involved by encouraging them to ask questions or interact with NPCs and the environment.

Are they veterans of another tabletop game (tabletop wargames, another RPG, etc)? They already know the ropes of how tabletop games work, and may be here for any number of reasons. Just proceed as you would normally, they'll either like the system or they won't. Chances are they'll focus in on the rules and combat first, so don't be afraid to go into detail on those elements with this type of newbie.

Are they none of the above? It's hard to predict what they're looking for in a game. Talk to them, figure out why they're here. It might be as simple as "my buddy was really into it, so I figured I'd come too", in which case you (and the game) aren't the focus to begin with. I can't provide much advice in this case.

No matter what, though, talk to your players after the sessions. Ask what they liked and what they didn't. If they're cut out for tabletop RPGs (a lot of people aren't going to be won over regardless of what you do. Pathfinder isn't for everyone), you'll eventually settle into something that everyone has fun with.

nedz
2012-09-18, 07:59 PM
If you have run two games, and had people drop out early on, then it could be something you are doing ?

Its very hard to be sure.

Do you know why the players lost interest in the previous games ?

If you can't answer this, then working out how to avoid this happening in a future game will be impossible.

Also:
Do you know what the players who didn't lose interest did like ?
Did you get any feedback ?

Larpus
2012-09-19, 08:37 AM
Are they video gamers? If so, play up the options available. Let them explore the freedom that tabletop games offer, reward their creativity and generally push the feel that this is a CRPG only better. It'll require a bit of willingness to anti-railroad and improvise from you, but it's what got me hooked.

Are they fans of fantasy lit? Play up the interactive storytelling. Make sure they know that this is their story, and they get to choose how it progresses and how it ends, at least to some degree. These folks will focus on the narrative and setting, so make sure to keep it going and don't skimp on the descriptions. Get them involved by encouraging them to ask questions or interact with NPCs and the environment.

Are they veterans of another tabletop game (tabletop wargames, another RPG, etc)? They already know the ropes of how tabletop games work, and may be here for any number of reasons. Just proceed as you would normally, they'll either like the system or they won't. Chances are they'll focus in on the rules and combat first, so don't be afraid to go into detail on those elements with this type of newbie.

Are they none of the above? It's hard to predict what they're looking for in a game. Talk to them, figure out why they're here. It might be as simple as "my buddy was really into it, so I figured I'd come too", in which case you (and the game) aren't the focus to begin with. I can't provide much advice in this case.

No matter what, though, talk to your players after the sessions. Ask what they liked and what they didn't. If they're cut out for tabletop RPGs (a lot of people aren't going to be won over regardless of what you do. Pathfinder isn't for everyone), you'll eventually settle into something that everyone has fun with.
This.

Also, pay close attention to what they say when not playing or whenever the topic comes up.

For a dirty easy example, if a player says something like "I want to be a hulking Barbarian that swings a great axe bigger than a mountain", chances are he'll get some fun at rolling dices in battle; however, if the player takes a serious time to craft his character's persona and story, chances are he's in for the roleplay/story, so mixing some of that character's extra details in the game (some, don't let the others feel left out) can really pick that player's interest.

Novawurmson
2012-09-19, 12:46 PM
Failed PBP DM here. The few things I've learned from my mistakes:

1. Make sure you've got the time and energy to run a pbp campaign. Your players feed off your mood even in an online game, and if you're not into it, they won't be.

2. Never miss two appointments in a row. Announce delays in posting as soon as possible, make up for them as quickly as possible.

3. Use block initiative to make combat move quicker. Reduce the amount of combat in general (especially unnecessary combat like random encounters) because combat take a lot longer in pbp campaigns.

4. Write ahead as much as possible. If you know the players are going to get hauled in front of the king in a few posts, go ahead and write the basics of what the king is going to say, then fill in the details.

5. Communication, communication, communication. If anything is stalling the game, talk with your players about it. Always let your players know when it's their turn to do something. Never assume a player knows you're waiting on them.