PDA

View Full Version : Playing as a Stirge?

hex0
2012-09-18, 03:19 PM
So I was mulling around the SRD as I'm want to do when at work and AFB. Knowing that you can play anything with INT 3 or higher. As the Half-Dragon template can be applied to about anything, I thought why not a Stirge? It would add a lot of survivability and the enchanced strength would allow it to grapple even better.

It doesn't say how long it takes to digest blood though, only that it gets full at 4 CON damage. Could I just go barf it up and go back for more?

Thoughts/builds anyone?

Snowbluff
2012-09-18, 06:34 PM
2 things. Either:

1) Size increases. Psychic warrior grappler? It would do a nice job in getting you some nice bonuses to grapple without preventing blood-sucking. (IIRC, that's what stirge do).

2) Pick up Clever Wrestler and get into that god-awful prestige class for grapplers, Reaping Mauler.

hex0
2012-09-19, 06:23 PM
2 things. Either:

1) Size increases. Psychic warrior grappler? It would do a nice job in getting you some nice bonuses to grapple without preventing blood-sucking. (IIRC, that's what stirge do).

2) Pick up Clever Wrestler and get into that god-awful prestige class for grapplers, Reaping Mauler.

1. This could work. They already get a +12 grapple bonus and have a base +2 WIS. Blood sucking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/stirge.htm) happens any time you start the round grappling.

2. A use for Reaping Mauler for once? Could this be? Clever Wrestler does suck no matter what, but it may be possible to build a tiny grappler build with Underfoot Combat and Confound the Bigfolk. Hmm...

hex0
2012-09-22, 09:23 AM
Anyone have more info on Stirges?

Aharon
2012-09-22, 09:25 AM
Nothing but the awful "Hey, your DM may allow you to play a human lawyer, too" jokes that this thread just begs for :smalltongue:

Seriously, though:
The above advice is pretty good. IIRC, there was some feature that allows you to more effectively kill larger creatures than yourself in Races of Stone, but I don't remember wether it was race-dependent.

Worira
2012-09-22, 04:36 PM
You can't "play anything with INT 3 or higher", you can play anything with a level adjustment. Stirges don't have one, so they aren't a legal player race.

hex0
2012-09-22, 04:57 PM
You can't "play anything with INT 3 or higher", you can play anything with a level adjustment. Stirges don't have one, so they aren't a legal player race.

Depends on how you look at it. They don't have a LA because their INT is low, is the other way.

fryplink
2012-09-22, 05:33 PM
Depends on how you look at it. They don't have a LA because their INT is low, is the other way.

That's not how you look at it. Look at the Elf entry (in Monster Manual), versus say, the Elemental entry just above it. Elf is, without a doubt a playable race. It's LA is +0. Contrast that with the Elemental's LA of -. In 3.5 there is a difference between having 0 in a stat or score, and not having a score. For LA the - means it does not have an LA, and is therefore illegal for player characters.

danzibr
2012-09-22, 06:58 PM
I'd totally let a player play as a Half-Dragon Stirge, especially if it involves Reaping Mauler. Hilarity.