PDA

View Full Version : Monsters RPG

Conners
2012-09-18, 08:29 PM
Anyone know of RPGs where you play as orcs/goblins/vampires/trolls/ogres/bugbears/bugaboos/creepers/werewolves/etc.? To be more specific, a tabletop game which has the theme of taking the monsters' side rather than heroic adventurers.

Can't think of any, aside from one where you play as kobolds.

prufock
2012-09-18, 08:50 PM
There is the World of Darkness setting, where you play as vampires and werewolves and such.

You could just use D&D 3.5, that's what I did when I ran a monsters game. Many of the monsters have level adjustment to use as PCs.

Arbane
2012-09-18, 10:30 PM
Kobolds Ate My Baby!, in which you play kobolds. It's not the most serious of games.
Orcworld.

BCOVertigo
2012-09-18, 11:41 PM
I ran a Gestalt campaign once in 3.5 where one half of the gestalt had to be Troll. :P

Siegel
2012-09-19, 01:32 AM
Burning Wheel allows you to play really cool Orcs, Trolls, Giant Spiders and Giant Wolfs (and Rat people but they are nice).

Totally Guy
2012-09-19, 02:39 AM
Justin Wightbred wrote some material for Dungeon World called Number Appearing. It puts monsters as the protagonists of the game.

Knaight
2012-09-19, 02:41 AM
Fudge handles non-human characters well, and I'm aware of a few modules that involve monsters. Sadly, I can't provide any links until the website they are on comes back up.

The Zoat
2012-09-19, 05:25 AM
Monsters! Monsters! was an old game that was based off Tunnels and Trolls.

You could play a bunch of stuff.

Joe the Rat
2012-09-19, 08:38 AM
Going back a ways, one of the early editions of Chill (A "monster hunter" game) had the "Creature Feature" supplement. You could play the vampires, werewolves, mummies, etc., that you normally fight in the main game.

Oh, and anything White Wolf. "Here's the game. You're misunderstood. Those guys are the bad guys." Next supplement: "Here, now you can play the bad guys..."

I was thinking about tossing out the monster options from D&D, but even as far back as AD&D1 (Dragon #141 - Joseph Clay is my other daddy) the bent was more towards "Monster as misunderstood adventurer" than "Evil Monster Campaign." It's doable, but not a core theme.