PDA

View Full Version : A small problem with Facebook

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-18, 10:50 PM
Hey guys. You know how when you friend someone on Facebook, it asks if the person is a close friend, acquaintance and such? And you can also separate people depending on co-workes or people who went to school with you?
Does anyone know how I can create one of those, uh, filters? I wanted to know which of my contacts came from the playground and this is the best way to do so, methinks.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Serpentine
2012-09-18, 10:59 PM
You can do it when you first add someone as a friend. After that, you go to their profile and click the "Friends" button at the top of their profile. It will come up with a list of various options, among which are categories. You just click the category you want them to be a part of (for example, Haruki Kun (the profile I'm looking at for this) is on my OotS list).

The frustrating bit, though, is that you can't (as far as I'm aware) search your friends list by category, or see a complete list of what people you have in a category :smallsigh:

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-18, 11:07 PM
I know that, I just can't find a way to create a new list.

Serpentine
2012-09-18, 11:16 PM
Oh.
Well now I'm not sure... I KNOW I've done it! But that may have been before this Timeline nonsense, so maybe they changed it...

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-18, 11:20 PM
Now I feel dumb, I just had to scroll down :smallbiggrin:
Thanks for your help, Serpentine, you rock

Serpentine
2012-09-18, 11:21 PM
Oh yeah! Dur.

Mauve Shirt
2012-09-18, 11:36 PM
You can totally see who is on a list. Click "more" at the bottom of the bar on the right until you see the list you want, click on that list, on the left it will give you "On This List (number of people)", you can click "see all" and then you can search within them.
Yes, it's overly complicated, but it's possible at least.

Serpentine
2012-09-18, 11:40 PM
Um... At the bottom of which bar on the right? :smallconfused: I've got the chat bar on the right, or if you mean the drop-down menu that has the lists on it, there's no "more" option.

Mauve Shirt
2012-09-18, 11:52 PM
No, my other right, aka my left. And click on the "More" next to the Friends label. I'm sleepy!

Serpentine
2012-09-19, 12:06 AM
You mean when you're looking at someone's profile, and there's the "Friends" button with the tick on it? To the left of that button?

Mystic Muse
2012-09-19, 01:14 AM
Anybody know if Facebook sends a message like "This person doesn't know you." if you refuse somebody's friend invitation and say "I don't know this person" on Facebook?

Because if it does, a response like that to people who are family is incredibly rude. Unfortunately, that appears to be the only permanent way to say "No" to a friend request, and these are family members that frankly, I don't like that much.

Rawhide
2012-09-19, 01:16 AM
Anybody know if Facebook sends a message like "This person doesn't know you." if you refuse somebody's friend invitation on Facebook?

Because if it does, a response like that to people who are family is incredibly rude. Unfortunately, that appears to be the only permanent way to say "No" to a friend request, and these are family members that frankly, I don't like that much.

No message is sent if you decline their invitation. There is no "official" way to know if someone has declined it or not. However, it is very easy to tell whether someone has accepted, declined, or not done anything with it yet.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-19, 01:48 AM
You could just add them and put them on your restricted list.

Mystic Muse
2012-09-19, 10:41 AM
You could just add them and put them on your restricted list.

Restricted list?

Sipex
2012-09-19, 02:26 PM
Yeah, there should be some sort of check box to mark them as 'restricted' when adding them. Restricted friends are...well...restricted to see only the facebook stuff that you want them to see.

You should be able to choose what your restriction options are through your account's options.