PDA

View Full Version : the feasibility of a siege crossbow

kifall
2012-09-19, 02:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to incorporate the siege crossbow into an archer style build? it seems rather difficult to get around, however with a immovable rod attached to the frame on a movable base for aiming and the quick loading enchantment i can image great fun to be had.

Crossbow, Siege
Often called the portable ballista, the siege crossbow is a massive weapon of awesome power. Impossible for a human to operate without resting it upon a solid surface or using the foldaway bipod on its underside, the siege crossbow is the weapon of choice to intimidate an enemy, for its massive bolts can make a mockery of the heaviest of armour. Loading a siege crossbow takes two full-round actions, both of which will provoke an attack of opportunity. However, targets will not receive an armour or shield bonus when attacked with this weapon.
Crossbow, Siege: Large Exotic Weapon; 250 gp; Dmg 2d6; Critical 19-20/x2; Range 150 ft.; 24 lb.; Piercing.
Bolts, Siege (10); 25 gp; 9 lb.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-19, 02:46 AM
What is the source for a siege crossbow? I don't remember ever seeing it before.

Emperor Ing
2012-09-19, 02:51 AM
You can simply be Huge sized and carry around a Ballista, which is RAW a Huge Heavy Crossbow.

kifall
2012-09-19, 04:11 AM
i had been using a website on a list of different crossbows, but researching further it is located in the Ultimate Equipment Guide. A d20 system but not quite an official D&D book, so my DM may not let me use it. bummer.

Having a crossbow that is effectively making ranged touch attacks could get a bit crazy, at least if it were against me anyway.

Yora
2012-09-19, 06:00 AM
The greek had something like this, but I don't know the name.

Edit: It's called a Gastraphetes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastraphetes), which was spanned by leaning down on it with your body weight.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-19, 07:08 AM
i had been using a website on a list of different crossbows, but researching further it is located in the Ultimate Equipment Guide. A d20 system but not quite an official D&D book, so my DM may not let me use it. bummer.

Having a crossbow that is effectively making ranged touch attacks could get a bit crazy, at least if it were against me anyway.

I don't know pathfinder well enough for further comment.

I will note that in PF firearms also resolve against touch ac within the first range increment. This is specifically -not- a touch attack, though I'm not exactly sure how or why an attack against touch ac isn't a touch attack.

Provengreil
2012-09-19, 05:53 PM
would the monkey grip feat be of any use here?

hex0
2012-09-20, 04:25 PM
would the monkey grip feat be of any use here?

I don't think so. But, rapid reload maybe. Or that ghost reload spell? What is it called again?

Maybe place it on a tenser's floating disk?

ericgrau
2012-09-20, 10:14 PM
Good time for multiple unseen servants and 3 siege crossbows.

Bypassing armor seems like a good way to exploit heavy damage enchantments on bolts, but other than that its seems like it would fall short. I mean a composite bow for damage and a high attack bonus to get past AC would do better... 3 or 4 times per round even.

This seems like the type of weapon that's way better in the hands of level 1 buddies with a bit of leadership.

hex0
2012-09-22, 02:51 PM
Do they get natural armor bonus?

Mystral
2012-09-22, 03:04 PM
This would be most usefull when operated by low level mooks.

I'd think weapon teams. 3 People running around with this thing, one with a tripod, 1 with the weapon, 1 with the ammunition and a giant shield to protect the crew. Then, two of them would reload the crossbow using their full round actions while the third one fires it. 15 People could put out 10d6 damage per round, and easily hit even a great threat.

Mystral
2012-09-22, 03:08 PM
One thing of note: Whatever the source of this thing is, it has a larger reach then a real balliste (which clocks in at 120 ft)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm