PDA

View Full Version : RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC

Thattaman
2012-09-19, 10:03 AM
The land of Varisia is home to great and evil magical lore, known to few. It is in this land where our story begins, across the lost coast north of Magnimar-city of monuments-is a land of cliff faces and wild seas, with only a few campsites and inn scatter the region. One of these campsites has grown into a full blown town, the town of Sandpoint, light of the lost coast.

This town has faced many trials in the past decade, but now is time of celebration, all of you have found yourself in this town on the day where the new Sandpoint cathedral has just been finished. The swallowtail festival is a time of great joy. The people are gathering and you find yourelves amongst the crowd.

Athaleon
2012-09-19, 11:01 AM
Vallen stands at the edges of the crowd, squinting and shading his eyes with his hand. In spite of it he's smiling; This town had been through a lot, and and a festival like this should get people to loosen up and start thinking optimistically again.

He's wearing his armor and lugging his weapons around. The militia had to be seen to be on guard, though they had no reason to expect anything. The Sheriff was nothing if not prudent.

shugyosha
2012-09-19, 11:08 AM
Jennar had been looking forward to the celebration for weeks. He had oiled and polished his armor and sword. He had even taken a bath the night before.

He joins the crowd looking his best. Happy to be in a time of festivities. He shouts hellos at people he knows and greets them like long lost friends.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-19, 01:22 PM
Amongst the revelers there wades a traveler from a distant land, standing head and shoulders above almost everyone. Though he is swathed in robes and cloak the colour of earth and sand, his great bulk betrays the mountain of mail and muscle beneath. The sandy stranger gives a deeper bow than most when he and the lawman meet in the street.

Prominent tusks jut out from beneath the shadow of a white turban. The orcblood's lantern jaw wags as he pronounces apologies as well as Sarenite blessings upon those folk who happen to bump and jostle into him.

One hand rests upon the long haft of a hooked lance while the other hand wields a large flagon of dwarven brew snatched from a passing server. Draining the vessel, he sets his rather pointy walking stick against a nearby tree and sits himself down heavily upon one of the many benches. He then helps himself to a generous portion of roast ribs, barley bread and creamy onion soup.

He looks with wonder at the great edifice of the new cathedral, the sacred sun's shining rays scintillating through its vast stained glass windows, the flying buttresses seeming like the embrace of a great mother, the fresh-finished limestone and granite masonry contrasting starkly with his memories of the majestic yet grim fortress-monastery of Solka, the Bastion of Sarenrae. He breathes deep the myriad cloying and delicious scents of the outside world, sighs and stretches...

...then suddenly spins in his seat, snatching out to steady the fair young lady whom he'd accidentally clouted. Baqir rumbles apologies profusely, profoundly grateful that all he'd spilled was a drink. "Ah youh arright, miss? A t'ousand apologies for that. Verreh sorreh fuh thah. An accident, an accident. Here, let me get you another..."

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-19, 02:47 PM
Father James had been sitting in a chair he had pulled from a table, not that he knew where it was from, but he was fairly sure no one would miss it.

He had been sitting and drinking since the sun had risen, watching the newly built temple and enjoying the festival as it happens around him, soon he drinks enough to start feeling a buzz, though because of his years of drinking this means he's downed at least a gallon of the stuff.

He sits and sees a particularly large person moving through the crowd, as he comes closer he stops and stretchs, James also saw the lady behind him that almost got knocked over, and begins laughing louding hoping to attract his attention "Tall one!, don't you know it's unwise to be moving like that in a crowed place!?"

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-21, 01:35 AM
Beneath the table, beneath his sleeves, the halforc's hand reflexively reaches for a blade, then he forces himself to relax... just a bit. Baqir's cloth-wrapped head turns this way and that, seeking the source of the voice through all the strange sights, scents and sounds.

Finding the Father, he replies, "Tall y'self, ser. Unwise, aye, an' my mistake. Izza me first time in deh big city" Baqir grunts, and tries a smile around his tusks. "Bootiful place, dis. New. Fresh, like plum right off de tree"

Athaleon
2012-09-21, 02:01 AM
Hearing a little commotion a short distance away, Vallen makes his way over. Seeing that it's nothing, he decides to stop and take the measure of the two newcomers. He's a fairly tall man himself, but finds himself looking up at both of them.

With his typical lopsided grin, he asks the towering Half-Orc "You think this is the big city? You've never been to Magnimar, but then again that hole's neither new nor fresh."

Turning to the holy man, he asks "I take it you're here to help re-consecrate the new temple, Father?"

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-21, 02:43 AM
The father looks up grinning a thin smile, his eyes flicker behind his glasses, both at the half-orc and the new man "I find myself here for many reasons, free drink chief of them, however, a chance to honor my goddess through something more then walking is nice for a change. Now grab a chair and mug lads, theirs no need to provide shade for those next to you, like an old redwood all day, the real festivities haven't yet begun! he continues to smile as he talks to the younger looking men, his normal cynicism gone now that he had his minimum amount or alcohol.

shugyosha
2012-09-21, 09:01 AM
Jennar

He saw it. That brute, that clad, that oaf... "Wanda, are you alright?" he asks the woman as he offers his arm to steady herself. "Is this half orc bothering you?"

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-21, 02:20 PM
One corner of his lips twitches in incredulity at Vallen's words. The hulking halforc gives an expansive shrug that sends his robes rippling. "What be this Maggenmahr, ser? Not know. Fresh from de temple, I be."

Baqir then nods at the older, happier holy man. "Youh be pilgrim too? Serve ye Sarenrae 'swell? Or which' a the othuh holy ladies?"

When the concerned and angry man rushes in to the woman's aid, Baqir turns to face him, raises his hands slowly, fingers spread placatingly. "Ey-ey, now. Arready caught 'er an' 'pologized. Wuz an accedent. Don't want no trouble..."

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-21, 02:47 PM
The father looks at the newly arrived jennar"Don't be starting problems where their are none. He bumped the lady by accident, then caught her before she fell. Now take any fighting words you have away from us, and preferably this holy event, otherwise my ale will go sour."then he turns back to the half-orc priest, he assumed anyway, "No I serve the lady of the night and roads, Desna, whose festival this is, and i'm also not a pilgram, it is simply Desna's teaching that we walk to see the world. And i've been walking so many years." he finishs with a sigh.

shugyosha
2012-09-21, 03:07 PM
When the concerned and angry man rushes in to the woman's aid, Baqir turns to face him, raises his hands slowly, fingers spread placatingly. "Ey-ey, now. Arready caught 'er an' 'pologized. Wuz an accedent. Don't want no trouble..."

"Good, no one want trouble right? Its a celebration," He says grabbing a tankard from a passing waitress. "Here, to the festival!"

Athaleon
2012-09-21, 11:35 PM
"Now that, we can all agree with. To the festival!"

Vallen takes a drink from the same waitress and raises it in response, though his gaze and his smile both follow the serving girl.

Thattaman
2012-09-22, 07:35 AM
Once the crowd has settled, a young woman steps on stage, those who are fromt the town of Sandpoint recognise her as Mayor Kendra Deverin. She speaks with a well-spoken Chelish accent and addresses the entire crowd.
“Welcome, all, to this joyous occasion. We’ve finally done it; we’ve built the greatest church that Sandpoint has ever seen. They may call Magniamar the city of Monuments but we have a monument of our own. The Sandpoint Cathedral!” With that a huge cheer goes up over the crowd. “And we could not have done it without everyone who helped out and everyone who has come here today. Even Larz Rovanky managed to pull himself away from his tannery close by.” The crowd all turns around to see a man in fine leather blushing, much to the laughter of the crowd. “Anyway, I hope you all enjoy yourself, goodby!” The crowd lets out huge cheers and a thunderous round of applause while a stern-faced Shoanti man climbs up onto the stage. The crowd goes silent under his iron gaze.
“Although this is a joyous occasion, like the good Miss, Deverin said, I don’t want anyone getting drunk and rowdy and there is a zero-tolerance on stealing off of the fine merchants of Sandpoint. If you break either of these rules, you can expect to be spending a night or two in Sandpoint’s prison. Also, we’re having a bonfire later and if this is going to stay safe then we have to set a few precautions.” After a lengthy list of rules, the mildly-bored crowd give up a half-hearted round of applause as Sheriff Hemlock exits the stafe. After a brief and awkward pause Kendra steps back on stage. She scans the crowd with a quizzical eye and when she sees no one she's looking for she begins to speak. "Has anyone seen Mr. Lonjiku Kajitsu, he's meant to be here today?" No one answers and she continues to speak after five seconds of awkward silence. "OK, let's skip him and come onto our final speaker. Sanpoint's own comedian, playwright and actor. Mr Cyrdak Drokkus!"

YOu can continue speaking amongst youselves or to any NPCs.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-22, 12:46 PM
Baqir bows Father James with a judiciously appreciative frown. "Indeed, yer holiness. An' yer right, ser--- e'en Sekhmet'd frown upon fighting o'er simple accidents an' disarggiments"

Once again, the tassled turban bobs as Baqir nods and says while gesturing to his recently vacated seat, "Well, glory to Desna, then, an' may 'er faithful travel safe. Ye say ye've walked fer far an' wide, Father, care ye ta take a seat, rest yer weary bones? Ah'm... lemme ask ye then, if ye mind not--- Have ye seen or felt or heard of late, aught strange an' evil?"

Wary eyes dart at the movement at his flank and he snatches a couple of fresh tankards from the passing wench as well. One of these tankards, he hands to the elderly traveler, the other tankard he clacks against the other men's drinks. Baqir bares his teeth in a fierce grin and hefts a toast, "To Desna's feast an' Sandpoint's folk, may they have peace and prosperity. To the Dawnflower, may her warmth e'er shine on us all. To the Blood Queen, by wrath and from wrath, deliver us."

Long used to the comfort of order, Baqir laughs and smiles and claps together with these strangers in this strange yet wondrous land as their, at least he assumes, superior officers, make their speeches. He hisses a whisper to Vallen in question, "Ey-ey. Who be this Longjoke Kajitchoo fellow?"

Athaleon
2012-09-22, 06:14 PM
Vallen tries to reply as quietly as possible. "He runs the town's Glassworks. Not surprised he isn't here, he doesn't seem to get along well with people."

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-22, 11:22 PM
"I've seen evil in one thing or another, in myself and others, evil is everywhere, if you want a specific answer, you are going to need to be a little more specific as well. And to Desna, my her night sky one day not be a thing of fear for others once again." He then takes the mug of Ale and drinks the whole thing in 3 glups.

shugyosha
2012-09-23, 09:24 AM
Jennar

The stout man just listens. He replaces his empty tankard with another full when a bar wench passes by.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-23, 10:51 AM
Baqir nods gravely to the Vallen and whispers back, "I see. Know 'ow dat be. 'Ope 'e don't break nor snort nuthin'"

Baqir grunts a half-sneer and half-sigh which he covers up with his foamy brew as he drinks half the lot with one good gulp. One arm's sleeve wipes away the froth as he answers Father Jenner. "Aye, aye, an' good as well? A balance, innit? Or so's we hopes? Speficic, ye says? Urrr... ye seen or 'eard or felt any'thin' like ancient evils awakening, great serpents stirring, cities shattering, realms riffen wid' blood?"

The halforc winces and shrugs. "Eh... summat tells me, stuff like tha's like the bread an' butter've mad prophets the world over, eh?"

"Urrrng" comes another long, rumbling grunt. "Agehn, sorreh fer me discourt'sy. De name's... Baqir. Fwadi Vulfhramn Baqir, of the Order of the Burning Eye" He drains his tankard, slams it on a nearby table, extends an arm to the elder minister while bowing, saying stiffly, as if reciting lines by rote, obviously unused to social interactions that don't immediately involve fighting. "An' who be he whom I has de honouhr of acquitting?"

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-23, 05:20 PM
"The name is Father Bastion James, most just call me Father or the Father, but you can call whatever. And no, their have been no seas of blood or titans of apocalypse recently, sorry. The most trouble around here is a few goblins I hear. He shakes Baqir's hand, then gives a small bow himself.

Thattaman
2012-09-25, 11:08 AM
A huge roar of laughter and a round of applause goes up as Cyrdak delivers his punchline. The crowd disperses and games around are set up from tug of war, to archery, to fencing, to hide and seek. Not many of them offer money but they do give bragging rights for the next few days, a much desired thing indeed.

If you want to be part of any games tell me and we'll sort them out OOC.

shugyosha
2012-09-25, 11:22 AM
Jennar

"Come on, you look strong, I want you on my side for the tug-o-war," Jennar says to the half-orc, Baqir.

Athaleon
2012-09-25, 05:08 PM
Vallen wanted to participate in all the events, but had to rein in his enthusiasm. No way he could compete in a fencing or archery competition while constantly having to squint. The men around him seemed to be going in for the tug-of-war event, so he decided to join them. Maybe he'd get in on the hide & seek event, if he had time.

"Mind if I join you? They don't give you these pigstickers," he gestures with his polearm, "for being a pansy, after all."

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-26, 12:22 AM
James Looks on as he sees people lining up to play games, and remains sitting and drinking watching them do so.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-26, 02:56 AM
"Hrhhmmm" grunts the big green lug. "Thankee, Father Bastion. Eh, the ol' Captain never said itd be easy, hrhmm. 'Spose I should be grateful, things ain't come to a head yet"

Baqir shrugs at the other two men who seem eager to tug ropes. "Rhmm. Eh, might'swell. Ser, mind if I let my pigsticker rest w' yours?"

shugyosha
2012-09-26, 07:26 AM
Jennar

"Father, we'll need a forth. Care to join us?"

Athaleon
2012-09-26, 07:17 PM
"Why not? This is as good a place as any." replies Vallen as he leans his long polearm against a nearby tree. He elects to keep his armor on , and if it doesn't obstruct his teammates, his longsword. He is, after all, on duty.

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-26, 07:33 PM
James looks at Jennar "No, I'd prefer not, sorry but I'm not as young as I once was and like to save my strength in case it's needed."

shugyosha
2012-09-26, 08:17 PM
Jennar

He shrugs and says "Come on, we'll have to find a forth on the way."

shugyosha
2012-10-01, 11:14 AM
Your companion in the tug of war is Aesrick Battlehorn, a dwarf carpenter, who's strength modifier is +2 with a strength of 15. Your first oponents are a group of 4, Ven Vinder, Harker, Chod bevuk and Daviren Hosk. It is pretty obvious that Ven and Harker very much dislike each other, Chod and Ven are good friends and Daviren is well liked by all of them.

Jennar

"Hey Ven, what was your sister doing with Harker last night... Couldn't have been up to any good... no wait what am I saying it is your sister and we all know what she's like," Jennar says as he begins to grip the rope.

[roll0] strength check

Athaleon
2012-10-01, 06:14 PM
Vallen decides to keep his mouth shut, as he picks up the rope and readies himself for the signal to pull.

Strength check: [roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-02, 11:47 AM
Baqir merely grunts, takes his position at the rear. Cestus-clad fists wrap around the rope, and pull...

Strength check, looks like. [roll0]

Thattaman
2012-10-02, 02:40 PM
Aeserik digs his boots in and pulls with all the strength he can summon up. Ven's face fills with anger and he looks at Ven in front of him who is smiling. Chod tries to calm Ven down but Daviren just pulls.

Aeserik strength [roll0]

Ven [roll1]
Harker [roll2]
Chod [roll3]
Daviren [roll4]

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-07, 12:17 PM
Little voices whisper in Baqir's mind. Come on, come on! You buggers want to fight, have at each other! What need we for rope? Get on, get stuck in, la... waitasec. No, that ain't right. It's just a game, isn't it? What wrong have these men truly done? Really... who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Arrrrrrrgh...

Baqir growls, winds the rope about his wrists, braces his legs and heaves hard.

Str checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Thattaman
2012-10-07, 01:36 PM
Almost staright way you have a clear advantage, so with a good few tugs, you have won the first match. Do yoiu want to go into the next round?

shugyosha
2012-10-07, 01:40 PM
Jennar

Howling in victory, Jennar yells, "Bring 'em on."

more tugging. If it is close Jennar will rage Str +4
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Athaleon
2012-10-08, 01:37 AM
Vallen grins in trumph, and readies himself for the next round.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Thattaman
2012-10-08, 10:37 AM
Going by those rolls, you all win the next games.

After an hour of hard tugging, you are worn out. But you have won the tournament and now are entitled to the cup which is handed out by Sheriff Hemlock's cheif guard: Frarnack.

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-08, 11:30 AM
The father begins clapping as the champions are "crowned".

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-08, 01:49 PM
Grunting with exertion, Baqir roars when they finally pull their opponents across the line decisively. He goes about his team-mates, pounding backs and shoulders... then goes to their opponents as well, helping them back up to their feet and bowing to them.

Baqir then gestures for his local team-mates to get up on the stage before he does. He himself bows but simply when awarded.

W'elp. Won't roll no more, since it's been rendered moot. Nice rolls, you fellows.

shugyosha
2012-10-08, 08:30 PM
Jennar

The man gave a bellowing yelp at the end. His chest puffed with pride. He'd hope that this would garner him the respect he desired. Jennar thanked his teammates. At the ceremony he beamed with joy.

Athaleon
2012-10-08, 10:17 PM
Vallen shook hands with his team's defeated opponents, and took the stage to receive the award. His beaming grin never left his face.

After the awards ceremony, he returns to the shade of the tree on which he had leaned his polearm. Better get back on duty, after all, some of the other guards might want to compete in the other games.

Why do I get the feeling I've used up a bunch of good d20 rolls that should have been saved for initiative and saving throws? :smalltongue:

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-09, 05:53 AM
After a Few minutes, The Father stands up and looks for a drinking contest.

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-09, 01:41 PM
Feeling strangely pleased at having won something without exploding into a raging behemoth or beating some poor sod into a pulp, Baqir retrieves his lance as well and slaps Vallen's shoulder good-naturedly. The halforc then falls in behind the Father as they cruise for more booze.

Thattaman
2012-10-16, 10:11 AM
After hours of fun, father Zantus steps on stage, and delivers a short passage from the holy book of Desna which is concluded by a huge crowd of swallowtail butterflies swarming the skies. After the swallowtail release, lunch is served, courtesy of the local inn/tavers. The food varies from the classic venison steak and classic beer from the White Deer to a strange eel like creature and a strangly tangy strong alcohol that is served alongside it by the Hagfish. But-once again-the darling of the night is Ameiko Kajitsu from the Rusty Dragon with her curried salmon and cider that wins everyone over. Finally the sun begins to set in the sky as Father Zantus once again takes the stage.

A sharp retort, like the crack of distant, slices through the excited as the sun's setting rays paint the western sky. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts to awake, and thebuzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn towards the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman's scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises-high-ptiched, tittering shreiks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dogs gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut from ear to ear. As blodd pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scrathy voices.

GOBLINS CHEW AND GOBLILNS BITE,
GOBLINS CUT AND GOBLINS FIGHT.
STAB THE DOG AND CUT THE HORSE,
GOBLINS EAT AND TAKE BY FORCE.

GOBLINS RACE AND GOBLINS JUMP,
GOBLINS SLASH AND GIBLINS BUMP.
BURN THE SKIN AND MASH THE HEAD,
GOBLINS HERE AND YOU BE DEAD.

CHASE THE BABY, CATCH THE PUP,
BONK THE EAD TO SHUT IT UP.
BONES BE CRACKED, FLESH BE STEWED,
WE BE GOBLINS! YOU BE FOOD!!!

shugyosha
2012-10-16, 10:37 AM
Jennar

He had to disagree with crowds, his choice was the venison steak. Clearly the superior meal, nothing beats the strong and filled satisfaction of red meat.

Jennar was prepared to continue with the celebrations and libations. He was planning on finding Molly and impress her with the trophy when the sounds of goblins were heard. He saw the dog lie lifeless on the road and drew his sword. Unconsciously he reached for his shield but found nothing as he had left it at home.

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-16, 03:12 PM
Baqir watched the swallows fly, a prayer on his lips
Reeling from the feast and from the drinks
He'd paced himself then, sipping simply
Too rich the food, too fast
Too much and too soon

He'd felt ill, not so much of gut but of heart
Some sensation of dark things
From out of the shadows
Seething, shrieking

Wrath emerges, burning
Baqir charges out into the street
Shield still slung, scimitar still sheathed
He lunges with the pennonned hooked lance,
With its great reach to better hold the baying horde

Holy Raging Power Attacking Charge at the nearest goblin
[roll0]
[roll1]
*AoOs, I leave to the chief.

Thattaman
2012-10-16, 03:33 PM
The closest Goblins to you are three goblins rading a wagon full of salmon. The spear goes straight through the closest goblin as he gurgle then goes limp.

Athaleon
2012-10-16, 04:52 PM
While most of the citizens were stunned, Vallen sprang into action.

"Get everyone to shelter!" he shouts towards the stage, assuming the mayor and other town leaders would be in the front row as Father Zantus gave his benediction.

No time to get organized; Vallen had to rely on the hope that a sudden and spirited counterattack might scatter the Goblins. He lowers the point of his spear and charges the nearest group.

Charging, not using Power Attack. He will try to keep the sun at his back, but if it's still bright enough out to dazzle him, subtract 1 from this attack roll.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-16, 06:06 PM
Father James watchs the goings on with a small smile, but when the goblins show up it turns to a scowl, though his sword does leave it's place on his hip yet he does quicken his drinking of his mug.

shugyosha
2012-10-17, 12:31 PM
Jennar

Rushing from his place Jennar charges forward at the nearest standing goblin.

since we have a surprise round...
[roll0] charge
[roll1] dam (long sword wield with two hands)
AC 13 (due to charge)

well one of us had to roll bad...

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-22, 12:15 PM
They may be concerned with loot now, but they will

The halforc in the robes shakes his victim off, then brings the hook end of his polearm scything amongst the goblin throng. The follow-up blow stabs at the next bandit to move at him or the those of this apparently lack-defended town.

Baqir roars, "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD QUEEN!"

Yyyyyyech. Average everything. Oh, well.
Initiative: [roll0]

Power Attack, yo.
[roll1]
[roll2]

Intimidate: [roll3]

AoO
[roll4]
[roll5]

Thattaman
2012-10-27, 05:10 AM
Although his two allies have been killed, the remaining goblin does not even bother to fight, he climbs onto a nearby wagon and waves his weapon around at you, trying to threaten you.

Athaleon
2012-10-27, 10:39 PM
Utter contempt drips from Vallen's expression and movement as he circles around to cut off the goblin's escape route. He swings his polearm upwards to catch the ugly creature in the midst of its vain bravado.

Athaleon
2012-10-27, 10:42 PM
Helps if I actually roll before I post.

Attack: [roll0] (+2 if he can gain flanking)
Damage: [roll1]

Thattaman
2012-10-28, 02:36 AM
The finall goblin drops dead. But before you can relax, a huge explosion goes up, and a blast of fire burns hte tips of your hair. When you look around, you see the warchanter that's singing the song surounded by three other goblins waving torches around in a hectic manner.

shugyosha
2012-10-28, 09:02 AM
Jennar

He quickly looks around to check if there is a shield lying around. If so he'll pick it up if not he will charge at the war chanter.

IF there is a shield pick it up
If not Charge
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-29, 03:37 PM
Baqir leans into the wave of fire
Halforc templar charges
With righteous ire
The hooked lance lunges
Barbed tip seeks the heathen's heart
Blade's edge parting fire and flesh with warrior's art

[roll0]
[roll1]
Charge

AoO
[roll2]
[roll3]

Athaleon
2012-11-02, 02:57 PM
Vallen spins around to see the chanter doing some sort of dance with a trio of torch-bearing goblins. Surely it would break the attackers' morale to see a spiritual leader go down.

Dropping his polearm, Vallen draws his longbow and quickly nocks and fires off a shot. One well-placed arrow to the shaman's head, and he wouldn't have to wade into the pack of them. If the lesser Goblins tried to rush him, his companions had his back - Or so he hoped.

Free action to drop the polearm, move action to draw the bow, standard action to fire.

Attack: [roll0]

I guess the brow-singing blast was their turn? Maybe we should do things by group initiative to keep things moving smoothly.

Thattaman
2012-11-02, 05:04 PM
The warchanter continues his song but two of the goblins are killed by Baqir's attack, the final one realises this fight is serious and throws his torch at a passing by goblin, who's head seems to be quite flamable. Then he draws his crude weapon and slashes at Baqir. When he slashes, the wooden handle breaks and the weapon dropes to the ground. Armed only with some wood, he does no damage.

[roll0] [roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-03, 05:31 AM
The goblin shaman rushes forward and Baqir turns sideward and steps into the blow. The goblin's feeble weapon crashes against the halforc templar's armour, the axehead snagging at Baqir's right pauldron, then splinters off completely. The broken stump of the haft tears a series of holes in Baqir's robes but only scratches against the mail beneath.

Baqir grins savagely, gnashing his deadly teeth at his opponent's misfortune. Too close to effectively bring his polearm to bear, the halforc steps back a pace and raises his lance high above his head...

...then when the goblin shaman tries a follow up strike on what might be seen as an unbalanced position, Baqir lunges low and takes a bite out of his opponent.

Too close to bring a reach weapon to bear, so... BITE!
[roll0]
[roll1]

shugyosha
2012-11-03, 11:40 AM
Jennar

The large man feeling some what clumsy moves to the other side of the goblin and strikes, hoping to redeem himself.

move to flanking position and attack.
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] dam

shugyosha
2012-11-03, 11:42 AM
Jennar

His two handed swing hits true and finds a good bit of goblin to sink into.

[roll0] crit
[roll1] crit dam

Thattaman
2012-11-03, 12:25 PM
Jennar's strike cuts through the warchanter, after only one second the remaining goblin panicks and flees.

Athaleon
2012-11-03, 12:33 PM
Cursing as his first shot goes wide, Vallen lines up another and tries to fell the fleeing goblin.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-03, 12:49 PM
"RRRRRAAAAAAAHHGGG!!" comes the growl as the desperate goblin shaman ducks out of Baqir's brutish bite only to be bisected by Jennar's strike.

Spittle flies as the halforc pounces after the runner, hooked lance lashing out low, aiming to bring him down for questioning.

Trip attempt. If it's already into the next turn, add +2 for charging. If it's still the previous turn, then AoO Trip Attempt.
[roll0] +4 vs Small
Str check [roll1] +4 vs Small

Thattaman
2012-11-08, 11:48 AM
The sound of battle dims and arround you the only goblins you can see are corpses, half on fire, and almost all in a strange postition. The (thankfully) few non-goblin corpses are scattered arround as well.

"Please, someone help me!" A young nobleman calls out and you see he's surrounded by three goblins and a goblin on a goblin dog is leading the attack. The dog that was prottecting him drops dead as one of the goblins practically cracks his face in half with a smile as he licks his blade clean.

shugyosha
2012-11-08, 12:05 PM
Jennar

The young man feels a sense of elation as the warchanter drops to the ground. He has no rest as he catches a glance of a noble being attacked. Rushing to the nearest goblin Jennar swings his sword.

[roll0] charge!
[roll1] damage

Athaleon
2012-11-08, 01:36 PM
Vallen turned to the cry of distress, and in a flash dropped his bow and swept his longsword from its scabbard as he charged the leader of the goblins attacking the nobleman.

Charge, Power Attack

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-08, 02:33 PM
Leaving the goblin where it falls, Baqir turns towards the cries of distress and charges as well, angling in from the flank to aid the militiaman Vallen's attack. The halforc templar leaps over several burning bodies and upon landing, uses his mometum to pivot hard and swings the vicious hook of his lance into the goblin cavalryman's back.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Incredible piece of flip-flying monkey. Looks like my luck's turning for the worse, ha-ha.

Thattaman
2012-11-14, 02:54 PM
Jennar cuts throught the first goblin, but the other two miss, the comando rides away and shoots at Baqir, while the tow remaining goblin attack Vallen and Jennar.

Shot at Baqir [roll0] [roll1]
Attack on Jennar [roll2] [roll3]
Attack on Vallen [roll4] [roll5]

shugyosha
2012-11-14, 06:44 PM
Jennar

He was on a roll. He continued to swing his sword in a wide arc at the goblins nipping at him.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Athaleon
2012-11-14, 06:48 PM
Vallen parries the goblin's feeble blow and edges around to the side, trying to split his target's attention.

If he made it into a flanking position:
+2 Attack
[roll2] Sneak Attack

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-17, 08:37 AM
At such a close range and after such a disastrously mistimed blow, for the mounted archer to miss is unthinkable. Still, Baqir tries to sidestep, swaying his torso away from the brunt of the shot yet still the bolt takes him dead center in the chest. The thick clothing, the armour and the evasion, however, make it such that he only suffers a bit of bruising beneath his mail.

One meaty fist rips the quarrel out and snaps it like a twig, hurling the halves away contemptuously. Baqir spits, then attacks again, lashing low, then coming back up high.

AC 17 HP 10/14

Flanking, Power Attacking
[roll0] AoO for when he moves or shoots
[roll1]

[roll2] Standard attack
[roll3]
If either of these suffice to take out one target, shift to another.

Thattaman
2012-11-22, 10:48 AM
Jennar misses his attack on the goblin but Vallen manages to get a hit in and kills one of the two remaining goblins. Baqir makes up for his previous faults and kills both the remaining goblin and the commando. The nobleman they were attacking, stands up, shocked and sticks out his hand to shake. "Thank you, my name's Aldern Foxglove if Foxgolve manor. I can't thank you enough for what you have done."

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-23, 01:06 PM
The hooked lance's spike guts both the giant riding-rat and the skirmisher beside it. As the two squirm in the dirt trying in vain to keep their insides inside, the polearm comes back up just as the goblin commando is nocking a shaft and spits him through his bloated head.

The turbaned templar grunts at the nobleman as he kicks the corpse off his weapon. "See to your people, milord Foxglove. Hngh. Sorry, by the Dawnflower--- are you hurt?"

Baqir then raises a salutary fist at Vallen, saying, "Good work, lawman. Where to next?"

shugyosha
2012-11-23, 05:54 PM
Jennar

Shaking the nobles hand he says, "Good ta' meet ya. NOw if ya don't mind I'm going to figure out why these little buggars came around."

Then going to the war chanter's body he begins to search it.

Thattaman
2012-11-26, 11:35 AM
On the chanter's body, you find a potion of Cure Light Wounds.

Athaleon
2012-11-26, 05:46 PM
Vallen urges the noble to seek shelter, and quickly looks around for more goblins, or more town guards.

"I need to find Sheriff Hemlock, or at least regroup with the other guardsmen. You guys can go where you want, but we ought to stick together until we know it's safe."

shugyosha
2012-11-26, 05:52 PM
Jennar

Taking the potion he says, "That's a good idea, let's find Sheriff Hemlock""

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 12:19 PM
Baqir grunts in agreement and follows behind Vallen.

Thattaman
2012-11-28, 12:16 PM
You find Sherrif Hemlock in the church with Abstalar Zantus and Kendra Deverin, the most powerful people in the town, well, the most powerful legal people in the town. Hemlock speaks first. "Aaah, if it isn't our new set of heroes. But although I want to congratualate you, there is something you must see." Abstalar Zantus leads you out, where a huge grave has obviously been dug up. "That is the grave of the late high priest, killed five years ago in the fire of the Sanpoint church, someone's looted it."

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-29, 02:03 AM
"HERESY!" Baqir growls, making signs of warding at the sight of the desecrated tomb.

The halforc templar clangs weapon on shield and says, "Your Grace, I am not good at subtle things like tracking, but for what it's worth, the perpetrators of this sacrilege will not escape the wrath of the Blazing Eye. You have my blade, my fire and my blood if need be, to bring these fiends to justice."

shugyosha
2012-11-29, 10:55 AM
Jennar

"You think these goblins were a distraction? Exactly what was stolen?" the large man asks.

Thattaman
2012-11-30, 03:34 AM
I daren't say, but the grave has an aura of necromancy and more than just what's normal for a grave." Father Zantus tells you. "That's why we were going to call for you, in case something that we could not hold off is in there." Kendra Deverin says.

Athaleon
2012-12-01, 11:56 AM
"We'll look into it, definitely. It doesn't seem likely that the goblins even knew who was buried there, or what he might have had with him." Vallen shivers slightly as he peers towards the dug-up grave. Without taking his eyes off it, he asks "How did the rest of the town fare against the goblins?"

shugyosha
2012-12-01, 02:17 PM
Jennar

The large man bends down and examines the open grave. "What exactly do you want us to do?" he asks.

[roll0] perception

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-04, 01:53 PM
The turbaned zealot growls, "Greater and graver, eh? Distraction, mebbe. Might have been the old high priest was buried with something that he was guarding even in death, perhaps a tainted relic, something that would have been better off purged with fire?"

A little tip for the chief? Perhaps more description is in order?

I don't "see" Hemlock and Zantus and Kendra. What does the temple look like? Are there scents of sand or ash or bone or blood or incense or what? Is "huge grave dug up" a mausoleum is busted open with chunks of marble strewing the place and broken statues looking forlornly at the heroes and worshipers or a great gaping maw of dirt, ash and bones where shadows loom beyond the vision's edge and loose soil shifts under unsure boots and a dropped stone renders echoes in a literal grave?

All due respect, sir, I think I may be speaking for the others when I say that it might well engender more engagement and interaction from the players if scenes and characters were more vivid.

shugyosha
2012-12-10, 10:36 AM
Jennar

The large man waits for his answer.

Thattaman
2012-12-10, 11:19 AM
You see the crypt filled with decorated graves all of which obviously contain the bodies of important members of the clergy. None of the graves have been touched for years except for the one which houses the previous high preist. The air is stale and has not been intefered with for at least five years. The grave that contained the high preist has been descrated in horrible ways, the door has been knocked down and put back hastily with the ancient stone around it crumbling to peices. Sheriff Hemlcok is wearing his usual serious face and is clad in plane armour. Abstalar Zantus is wearing a blue robe and has a gold chain with the symbol of Desna on it. He has a thin face which is looking serious and somewhat upset that someone or something has defaced a sacred place like that. Sheriff Hemlock replies with his usual flat voice. "We wanted you to check it, seen as having a set of heroes in the town is useful for dangerous tasks. And if they were just taking a relic, then why would they steal the entire corpse, it would just weigh them down."

Athaleon
2012-12-10, 05:01 PM
"All right, sooner we check this out the sooner we can pursue whoever did this." Vallen was as unnerved as anyone by a mausoleum, but at least he could see normally inside it. Longsword still in hand, he walks towards the tomb's stone door.

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-11, 03:06 PM
Not wanting to seem sacreligious or discourteous but still giving voice to the idea slowly forming in his heresy-hunting head, he says, "The old priest was surely a fount of righteousness and was beloved by all? He had no enemies except such vermin as we had dispatched, them and their fiend-favoured ilk?"

Baqir breathes deep the air of dust and bones. He lets his lance lean upon one of the rubble heaps and kneels while taking out a flintknocker. The clicking contraption of two pieces of flint held in a hinged handheld frame makes short work of lighting a torch.

Once the flames burn bright and steady, driving back the shadows, Baqir unsheathes his cutlass and ventures into the darkness, taking up position behind the lawman, guarding his back.

shugyosha
2012-12-11, 03:15 PM
Jennar

Asking one final time before descending with the others, "What relic was stolen or you believe to be stolen?"

Lighting a second torch the large man follows with his longsword ready.

Thattaman
2012-12-13, 06:59 AM
As you pull open the grave, you can't see the body of Ezakien Tobyn-the previous high preist, but instead two other bodies are there. Three human skeletons are lay in his place. One stands up and slices at Vallen with a broken blade.

[roll0] [roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-13, 02:49 PM
"Unclean abominations!" Baqir growls as the reanimated skeletons lurch into the attack.

Truth be told, though he'd heard and read of abominations such as these, this is his first time to actually face something this... unnatural. Bones belong in the ground, not arising and taking arms against the living.

Baqir feels a cold shudder shoot down his spine as he beholds the unholy warriors assailing his fire-forged comrade. Fury replaces fear.

He comes around, whirling aloft the torch in his left hand and brings it brutally down upon the lead skeleton's crown with a cry of "PURGE THE UNCLEAN!".

HP 10/14 AC 17/19
Flanking, Power Attacking
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] Torch, fire damage

Athaleon
2012-12-13, 05:51 PM
Cold horror lends a desperate strength to Vallen's limbs as he parries the skeleton's blow and delivers a hard counter-stroke; fear and revulsion pushed aside by instinct and training.

Also flanking and power attacking, with longsword in two hands.
Edit: Forgot to add the power attack damage, but it didn't connect anyway.

shugyosha
2012-12-13, 06:41 PM
Jennar

Joining in with his fellow adventurers the stout man swings hard with his long sword.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Thattaman
2012-12-15, 05:01 AM
Bair cuts through the first of the skeletons as the second one climbs up and takes a swing at him.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-16, 03:08 AM
The desecrated warrior crumbles as the halforc's firebrand smashes through, scattering dust, sparks and bone-shards.

"Back unto thy rightful rest, by the wrath of the Blazing Eye, I command thee! Get thee hence, and back to dust!" Baqir yells as he smashes his torch at another one of the rattling undead.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Athaleon
2012-12-16, 03:24 AM
Vallen's first attack disappointed, but his backswing landed with a disgustingly hollow-sounding crack on his target's bare skull.

Same attack routine as last time. I remembered the Power Attack damage this time!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Thattaman
2012-12-16, 03:40 AM
The other skeleton drops dead at Vallen's hand.

shugyosha
2012-12-16, 02:52 PM
Jennar

Seeing the second skeleton fall the large man decides to smash the third skeleton, although it hadn't stirred. "Just incase," he explains

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

what are they armed with?

Athaleon
2012-12-18, 02:38 PM
After the reanimated skeletons fall back to the floor of the tomb, Vallen instinctively looks around for more enemies.

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-20, 11:41 AM
Baqir grunts as the last of the foul things falls. He brings his heavy boot smashing down on the skull of the third--- just to make sure.

When the dust settles, he kneels and lets his torch and sword lean against the tomb's unweathered walls. Hands gesture in hallowed wards as he utters a short prayer over the desecrated remains which they had all too recently put back into their eternal rest.

Almost as an afterthought, he looks to the fallen warriors' broken swords, turning the respective hilt-shards around, then tossing them to Vallen, in case they have any markings that might have told the names of the dead. "Lawman, anybody ye knew?"

Dusting himself off, he blows on his guttering torch to make sure that it is still burning well, Baqir gives his consecrated cutlass a short swing, then strides into the darkness...

Thattaman
2012-12-20, 11:41 AM
They are armed with crude blades, similar to what the goblins had, but larger. No other enemies are within sight.

Athaleon
2012-12-20, 03:21 PM
"No, I'm not originally from this town." Vallen's sight pierces the gloom as he searches the tomb for clues as to who may have ransacked it and raised these undead.

shugyosha
2012-12-21, 11:06 AM
Jennar

"Well, let's move on then."

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-22, 02:38 PM
Baqir grunts and tosses the blades. "Whatever 'tis, looks like there's some more o' connection atwixt these walkin' dead an' the gobbos wot done the raid. Lookit the make, the craft..."

The turbaned templar waves his torch slightly as he moves on into the darkness...

Thattaman
2012-12-23, 11:05 AM
As you advance through the crypt you see the other decorated graves getting older and older until you can't read the writing on the graves. No goblin prints are on the ground other than the ones leading into and out of the previous high priest's grave.

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-24, 04:32 AM
Idly, Baqir sets light to some cobwebs that they pass. He gestures with his cutlass and stomps further into the darkness, firebrand blazing the shadows away.

Thattaman
2012-12-24, 05:35 AM
You see nothing until a burning cobweb lights up a robe on the floor, discarded recently.

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-25, 11:05 AM
Baqir's blighted eyes follow the acrid flares and he stoops to retrieve the robe, impaling it on his cutlass' point and lifting it up for the others to see. He gestures at the dust around it and says, "Look 'ere, fellows. Undisturbed, mostly. Y'all recognize this cloth's make? Mayhap it be some clue or track?"

Athaleon
2012-12-25, 03:14 PM
Vallen peers in close to get a look at the robe. "Not much dust on it, definitely dropped here recently..."

Knowledge check required?

shugyosha
2012-12-26, 11:15 AM
Jennar

Crouching at the robe Jennar takes a closer look at it.

It's just a robe, not something wearing the robe?
[roll0] perception

Thattaman
2012-12-26, 11:15 AM
You need a Knowledge Arcana check.

Athaleon
2012-12-28, 05:51 PM
Shrugging as he examines the robe, Vallen sighs "maybe someone in town can tell us whose this is."

Peering at the goblins' tracks on the dusty stone floor, he muses "The gobs knew exactly what they were about. Someone with knowledge of this crypt is directing them, then. No doubt at all."

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-30, 12:28 PM
Baqir grunts, handing the robe over to Vallen.

The shadows of the halforc templar's craggy face deepen as he glares and says, "Indeed. Treachery! Nothing more despicable. Lead the way, then, lawman."

Along the way, he whispers, "Y'all think any of them bigwigs are in on it? Should we tell them of our findings exactly as they are or do we leave some things out in case trust is now a luxury?"

Athaleon
2012-12-30, 06:00 PM
Vallen's face hardens into a slight scowl as they talk. "We can trust Sheriff Hemlock, I'd stake my life on it. Ameiko, too. And Shalelu... I think a chat with her might yield some more clues, if she's around." A chill crept up Vallen's spine as he continued, "She'd have tried to protect the town if she was nearby when the goblins attacked." Unlikely that this rabble could have pinned her down, but there had been a lot of them.

Thattaman
2012-12-31, 04:03 AM
Are you going to see someone? What are your next actions?

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-31, 02:46 PM
Baqir shines the torch upon their way. As they make their interminable way back to the surface, he answers the lawman, "As you say, lawman. Shalelu is...?"

Follow Vallen outta the crypt. See where his investigation leads.

shugyosha
2012-12-31, 08:48 PM
Jennar

He silently follows the others.

Athaleon
2012-12-31, 10:16 PM
"She's an elf that patrols the wilderness around town. Now that I think about it, she must not be around, or else she'd have tried to warn us."

We'll take the robe up and find anyone who can identify it. The bit about the goblins' looting being targeted, we'll keep to ourselves if possible.