PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Halberd?

GutterFace
2012-09-19, 12:53 PM
for Duskblades:

can someone help me logic this out.

Duskblades have the ability to (Arcane Channeling) to cast a touch spell into their melee weapon and attack. If they hit with the weapon they resolve the spell and weapon damage...

NOW….complete warrior (pg114)has a feat called Spinning Halberd. Which lets you, make the attack with a halberd, if it is successful, you then get a +2 ac for the rest of the round….AND you get a bonus attack at a -5 to hit, deals 1d6 damage +1/2 str.

Since the spell cast on the weapon exists until the attack is over, would it apply twice to the target you are attacking…since in essence you are making two attacks (due to the feat) in the same round (with the same weapon)?

or is this a pipe dream?

Zubrowka74
2012-09-19, 01:03 PM
You said it yourself, first hit will discharge the spell.

GutterFace
2012-09-19, 01:12 PM
thanks

make sense. else Cleave/Greater Cleave would be monstrous for Duskblades hahah

Goldfly
2012-09-19, 02:15 PM
Note that channeled spells apply to all attacks starting at Duskblade level 13.

hex0
2012-09-20, 04:30 PM
Note that channeled spells apply to all attacks starting at Duskblade level 13.

All attacks in your round. Including AoO, Cleves, whathaveyou.

Goldfly
2012-09-20, 04:38 PM
All attacks in your round. Including AoO, Cleves, whathaveyou.

Yes, that's what I meant. :smallsmile:

Not sure how it'd apply in this situation, though, Most likely, it wouldn't apply to the bonus attack.

hex0
2012-09-20, 05:01 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. :smallsmile:

Not sure how it'd apply in this situation, though, Most likely, it wouldn't apply to the bonus attack.

Full-attack channel says 'ALL melee attacks you make this round', so I'd say yes. Its like a capstone but not at level 20.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-09-20, 05:11 PM
Full-attack channel says 'ALL melee attacks you make this round', so I'd say yes. Its like a capstone but not at level 20.

There's nothing quite like Great Cleaving a horde of Undead whilst channelling Shocking Grasp. Screw optimization, I'm a minion meat grinder!

Goldfly
2012-09-20, 05:13 PM

I, personally, would be worried in this case. I think to keep getting attacks for as long as you hit may be a bit much, even at level 13.

...I fail at reading comprehension. I read spell, not feat. :smallsigh:

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-20, 07:37 PM
The answer is a most emphatic NO. The spell would only affect a single target once. The key is found in the arcane channeling entry for Duskblade.

The full attack version (starting at 13th level) states "the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round..." So it is a matter of either you hit a specific target or you didn't, it doesn't matter how many times you hit each target. At the end of the round, any target that was hit one or more times will be affected by the spell, and any target you didn't hit will not be affected.

Note that the standard attack version of arcane channeling cannot be used in conjunction with a full attack so would not trigger Spinning Halberd Style.

silverwolfer
2012-09-20, 07:49 PM
Duskblade+warblade+bloodstorm = Shockgrasp the entire area with a thrown weapon..

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-21, 12:57 AM
You guys are thinking small.
Get Otto's Irresistible Dance in your spell list (by Wyrm Wizard, maybe).
Get good reach. Channel.
Congratulations, by swinging a chain over your head you just converted your battlefield into the set of Saturday Night Fever.

Twilightwyrm
2012-09-21, 01:59 AM
You guys are thinking small.
Get Otto's Irresistible Dance in your spell list (by Wyrm Wizard, maybe).
Get good reach. Channel.
Congratulations, by swinging a chain over your head you just converted your battlefield into the set of Saturday Night Fever.

Wow, that is kind of hilarious.
"Oh the pain! It hurts so much...so much I just need...to dance!"

silverwolfer
2012-09-21, 04:40 PM
Make the chain spell storing, or even a smoke bottle effect.... and have it spurt grease .... swing...swing ...swing...fire spell.....

Now the dance floor is getting hot

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-22, 12:08 AM
Make the chain spell storing, or even a smoke bottle effect.... and have it spurt grease .... swing...swing ...swing...fire spell.....

Now the dance floor is getting hot

If everyone has Spider Climb, then the roof is on fire.

ojayaba
2012-09-22, 06:20 AM
ok, so I just lost it laughing at this post :)
As to the spinning halberd feat would not work with the basic version of the channeling ability as its been said a few times but I'm curious as to what other funny spells could be put into the full attack option...